Kyler Murray officially choosing Football over Baseball

Patriot Killa

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know some of you are pretty much expecting the Jets to trade back at this point, I am not so optimistic however Murray declaring does work in our favor…

Potentially.

Still don’t think anybody trades ahead of Oakland unless they fall in love with the same Qb that Oakland falls in love with... If Oakland falls in love with the Qb at all. There  is simply no incentive to trade up that high otherwise

13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Stupid move. 

Here’s the reality of things:

Very few, and I mean an extreme minority of people actually have the balls to go for what they want in life. Time moves pretty fast, one day you’re 21 and on top of the world and then the next you’re pushing 40. The last thing you want to have is looking yourself in the mirror, wishing you could have given something a shot when you were younger. 

Those who judge and chastise the ones who do take the plunge tend to be people living with that very regret. 

Good for him. If this is what he wants, go for it. Life is too short to not at least give it a try to do what makes you happy.

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I know some of you are pretty much expecting the Jets to trade back at this point, I am not so optimistic however Murray declaring does work in our favor…

Potentially.

Still don’t think anybody trades ahead of Oakland unless they fall in love with the same Qb that Oakland falls in love with... If Oakland falls in love with the Qb at all. There  is simply no incentive to trade up that high otherwise

I still maintain that two guys will dictate the top of the draft, and if there may be any trade action. Those guys are Oliver and Haskins. If Oliver is able to dispel the character issues that teams may have, and Haskins has a good combine, we're gonna be open for business boys.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He can go back to baseball much easier than the opposite.  And in the short-term he'd make some decent coin as a likely early draft pick. 

Plus, playing minor league baseball sucks.  That's a rough life.  As opposed to potentially getting the chance to be a week 1 starter.

19 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Potentially.

Yeah there is .  If Oakland doesnt want a QB, whats to stop them from dealing their pick to a QB needy team?  Taking our pick pretty much guarantees them the first QB in the draft, unless Arizona or the Niners dont want their edge rusher/DE. 

If I were the Jets I wouldnt trade the pick before the draft-If Bosa slips, you take him.  If he doesnt and a QB needy teams wants the pick, you'll get more when youre on the clock

13 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Here’s the reality of things:

Very few, and I mean an extreme minority of people actually have the balls to go for what they want in life. Time moves pretty fast, one day you’re 21 and on top of the world and then the next you’re pushing 40. The last thing you want to have is looking yourself in the mirror, wishing you could have given something a shot when you were younger. 

Those who judge and chastise the ones who do take the plunge tend to be people living with that very regret. 

Good for him. If this is what he wants, go for it. Life is too short to not at least give it a try to do what makes you happy.

I’m not condemning him for going for what he wants, I’m saying what he wants isn’t going to work out. Which is football. Hell, maybe I’m wrong. But I just don’t see it. I think staying with the MLB would be ideal. But what do I know.

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Plus, playing minor league baseball sucks.  That's a rough life.  As opposed to potentially getting the chance to be a week 1 starter.

Exactly.  Being the star of the Stockton Ports vs Fayetteville Woodpeckers High A game....or starting QB in a Week 1 game between the Cardinals and Giants in New York, as one of just 13 games going on that Sunday?  No contest. 

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He can go back to baseball much easier than the opposite.  And in the short-term he'd make some decent coin as a likely early draft pick. 

Is the contract still there for him from the MLB if he signs with a football club or does it void? I have no clue how that works.

1 minute ago, Bowles Movement said:

Yeah there is .  If Oakland doesnt want a QB, whats to stop them from dealing their pick to a QB needy team?  Taking our pick pretty much guarantees them the first QB in the draft, unless Arizona or the Niners dont want their edge rusher/DE. 

If I were the Jets I wouldnt trade the pick before the draft-If Bosa slips, you take him.  If he doesnt and a QB needy teams wants the pick, you'll get more when youre on the clock

Eh not really. If oak isn’t taking a QB, then again why trade up? NYG are the first team to be considered likely. The actions starts before them.  

It’s not like it’s a written expectation that if you want a Qb you absolutely 100% completely totally and utterly have to trade up to get one. Some of those teams will simply just let the draft fall to them. Once the QB is within a 2nd or 3rd rnd pick trade away, sure. 

All of this is just spinning tires until we see where these FA QBs land. For us, it’s JAX or bust imo. giants would never with us, and the rest are too far back 

37 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Stupid move. You are like 5’8.

??? He wasn't playing against midgets in college, and did ok, lol.. NFL offenses are changing, QB mobility is needed today. He'll get mega millions as a 1st round pick, can always go back to hardball in a few years if this doesn't work out.

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly.  Being the star of the Stockton Ports vs Fayetteville Woodpeckers High A game....or starting QB in a Week 1 game between the Cardinals and Giants in New York, as one of just 13 games going on that Sunday?  No contest. 

made me think of Klinger

farr.jpg

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Eh not really. If oak isn’t taking a QB, then again why trade up? NYG are the first team to be considered likely. The actions starts before them.  

It’s not like it’s a written expectation that if you want a Qb you absolutely 100% completely totally and utterly have to trade up to get one. Some of those teams will simply just let the draft fall to them. Once the QB is within a 2nd or 3rd rnd pick trade away, sure. 

All of this is just spinning tires until we see where these FA QBs land. For us, it’s JAX or bust imo. giants would never with us, and the rest are too far back 

Because if Oakland isnt taking a QB they could trade down to a team that wants one.

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

??? He wasn't playing against midgets in college, and did ok, lol.. NFL offenses are changing, QB mobility is needed today. He'll get mega millions as a 1st round pick, can always go back to hardball in a few years if this doesn't work out.

Nope, the sh*t isn’t going to work out. I’ll stand firm on that. He’ll make good money tho.

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Is the contract still there for him from the MLB if he signs with a football club or does it void? I have no clue how that works.

He has to pay back a good chunk of his signing bonus, but even as a 2nd round pick he’d make more in the first few years of football than baseball. Minor league baseball players get paid very little. The league lobbied congress to make them exempt from minimum wage adherence. Pretty pathetic, actually. And, there’s no guarantee he makes the big league in baseball. 

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

I think they'd technically still own his rights if he ever decided to come back to Baseball.  But just about every other aspect of this is bad for the A's.

Pulled from 2 separate articles:

He hasn’t signed a deal with an NFL team, and could still report for spring training with the A’s at the end of February. If he does choose football, he will forfeit his $4.6m bonus with the A’s.

When — Murray goes all-in on football, the A’s won’t receive a compensatory draft pick, as he already signed a contract with the team. (Though they will get their $4.66 million signing bonus back — which I’m sure they won’t use on free agents.) They’ll be left empty-handed.

Usually, if a player is drafted but doesn't sign, you get a Compensatory Pick that is one round later.  So the A's would have at least gotten a 2nd round compensatory selection out of the deal.  But since he signed the deal, all they're getting back is signing bonus money.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

He has to pay back a good chunk of his signing bonus, but even as a 2nd round pick he’d make more in the first few years of football than baseball. Minor league baseball players get paid very little. The league lobbied congress to make them exempt from minimum wage adherence. Pretty pathetic, actually. And, there’s no guarantee he makes the big league in baseball. 

Okay this makes sense on why he chose what he chose. I just don’t see it working out. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think they'd technically still own his rights if he ever decided to come back to Baseball.  But just about every other aspect of this is bad for the A's.

Pulled from 2 separate articles:

Usually, if a player is drafted but doesn't sign, you get a Compensatory Pick that is one round later.  So the A's would have at least gotten a 2nd round compensatory selection out of the deal.  But since he signed the deal, all they're getting back is signing bonus money.

Oakland A’s must be feeling pretty bad now. He was a top pick by them too, right?

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Nope, the sh*t isn’t going to work out. I’ll stand firm on that. He’ll make good money tho.

I'm sure you're not the only one to feel that way. I just like to root for guys like this. "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog". We shall see...

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Okay this makes sense on why he chose what he chose. I just don’t see it working out. 

Oakland A’s must be feeling pretty bad now. He was a top pick by them too, right?

# 9 overall pick.  They deferred his signing bonus for a year to let him play out his junior season at Oklahoma.  They just weren't banking on him throwing for over 4,300 yards and 42 TDs in his first (and only) year as a starter.

Baseball is the better bet if you're a 3rd rounder or later in the NFL draft.  But if you're a 1st or 2nd rounder, especially as a QB, you take that opportunity and run with it, every time. 

Given the lack of quality QB prospects this year, I can't imagine Kyler going outside of the 1st round when all is said and done.  He played this thing beautifully.

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm sure you're not the only one to feel that way. I just like to root for guys like this. "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog". We shall see...

Lol I totally understand the underdog role..I just think it’s doomed. Football is a big guy sport for the most part. Look, I’m shorter than Kyler. I’m 5’6 but I wouldn’t be typing on this board right now if I was about 4 inches taller. I’d be on a team right now. I have natural hands and was a great route runner in high school. It just doesn’t work out for some.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

# 9 overall pick.  They deferred his signing bonus for a year to let him play out his junior season at Oklahoma.  They just weren't banking on him throwing for over 4,300 yards in his first year as a starter.

Baseball is the better bet if you're a 3rd rounder or later in the NFL draft.  But if you're a 1st or 2nd rounder, especially as a QB, you take that opportunity and run with it, every time. 

So do you think he’s a sure fire 1st rounder?

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

So do you think he’s a sure fire 1st rounder?

I'd say yes, barring something disastrous happening to his scouting report leading up to the draft. 

And if somehow he DOES make it out of the 1st round, someone would be moving up at the beginning of the 2nd day to take him very early in the 2nd round.  Lots of QB-needy teams in that range, and the price to move up to early in the 2nd is peanuts compared to moving up just about anywhere in the 1st. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd say yes. 

And if somehow he DOES make it out of the 1st round, someone would be moving up at the beginning of the 2nd day to take him very early in the 2nd round.  Lots of QB-needy teams in that range, and the price to move up to early in the 2nd is peanuts compared to moving up just about anywhere in the 1st. 

Well for our sake, let’s hope he does go in the 1st round..and a team wants to trade up to #3 to do so. Pretty sure any team trying to move up to #3 would want Haskins before Murray though.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Well for our sake, let’s hope he does go in the 1st round..and a team wants to trade up to #3 to do so. Pretty sure any team trying to move up to #3 would want Haskins before Murray though.

For sure.  If Haskins and Murray both help themselves even slightly in the lead-up to the draft, they're both going in the Top 10.  If you think he's "your guy", you don't f**k around and wait to see if he falls to you.  You move up. 

Have to think there will be teams out there falling in love with both of these guys. 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For sure.  If Haskins and Murray both help themselves even slightly in the lead-up to the draft, they're both going in the Top 10.  If you think he's "your guy", you don't f**k around and wait to see if he falls to you.  You move up. 

Have to think there will be teams out there falling in love with both of these guys. 

Denver will be the one to do it if I had to make a February-like guess. I think they are itching to fall in love with a prospect. 

Archived