Kyler Murray officially choosing Football over Baseball

Patriot Killa

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For sure.  If Haskins and Murray both help themselves even slightly in the lead-up to the draft, they're both going in the Top 10.  If you think he's "your guy", you don't f**k around and wait to see if he falls to you.  You move up. 

Have to think there will be teams out there falling in love with both of these guys. 

Exactly. This happens every year. At #3 I like our chances of moving down this year and picking up extra draft ammo.

Awesome news... this definitely increases the value of the Jets pick... Many people will scoff at the fact that this kid is going to be drafted high... but when he blows up the combine with Lock and Haskins... all three are going to move up in hype allowing the Jets to trade down... or increasing the chance that Bosa could actually fall to them.

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Like any team 

GM agenda; “let’s find a way to overpay to move up”

Bears traded a lot to move from 3 to 2... for a guy that wasn't early first round pick at the start of draft season, but quickly moved up the board... to number 2!

I know some of you are pretty much expecting the Jets to trade back at this point, I am not so optimistic however Murray declaring does work in our favor…
Potentially.
Still don’t think anybody trades ahead of Oakland unless they fall in love with the same Qb that Oakland falls in love with... If Oakland falls in love with the Qb at all. There  is simply no incentive to trade up that high otherwise
If someone is willing to trade to three they are willing to trade to 1 or 2

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, varjet said:

So I guess Murray thinks he is going to make more than a $4.6 million signing bonus playing football?

He will. Every player drafted in the first round got at least a 5 million signing bonus.  Last year darnold got 20 million signing bonus at 3. Rosen at pick 10 got 11 mill and Lamar Jackson got 5 mill at pick 32.

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Is the contract still there for him from the MLB if he signs with a football club or does it void? I have no clue how that works.

The A's hold his rights. If he comes back to baseball, he will do so with the A's.

As an A's fan, I'm disappointed he's chosen to play football. The only silver lining is that he's done it now instead of during spring training (which overlaps with the Combine).

To me it feels like he's been given assurances that he's a first round selection (and possibly even a top 15 selection) in the NFL draft for him to make up his mind. His leverage would be that if he's not a high draft pick in the NFL, he could always go back to baseball, collect his signing bonus and play in the big show in 24 months.

From December 2018 (just over two months ago):

"Kyler has agreed and the A's agreed to a baseball contract that gave him permission to play college football through the end of the collegiate season," Boras said this week over the phone. "After that, he is under contract to play baseball. That is not a determination to make. It's already done."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000997035/article/scott-boras-heisman-winner-kyler-murray-wont-play-pro-football

He's at least 5'10 which is certainly tall enough to be successful in today's NFL.  This was the right move on his part, he's the best QB in this class by a decent margin IMO. You might worry about his ability to translate to the pro game maybe 10+ years ago but the requirement for a  6'2 or greater mark for a QB will quickly be phased out the game as more teams implement more spread style offenses. 

It’s a copycat league. Once Mayfield had a strong year teams will look beyond the fact that Murray is shorter than Mayfield and want to get the “next big thing”. Murray is a better athlete than Mayfield and he hopefully “RGIII” the draft. Someone (looking at you Snyder, again) falls for it and offers up a great deal. I hope it to the Jets.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

So many ways it can help.  A few ways it can hurt but I think the former is much more likely. 

For one thing, I will assume that he got at least some assurances from at least 1 or 2 teams that they will take him if he's available at their pick, and that those teams are in the top half of the first round.  He still needs to light up the combine but I would imagine he's confident enough to assume he'll do that.  So it helps because it possibly creates another guy teams will jockey to move up for.  If it's just Haskins, then a team might jump to 2 and that's it.  Game over.  Now we get a second chance to be part of the dance.  It also helps because if against all reason, some team moves up to 1 or 2 to take him or Haskins, Bosa or Allen drops to us.  The way it can hurt is if some team that was going to target Haskins prefers Murray and doesn't believe they need to move up as much for him, it dilutes the demand for Haskins.  But I find that less likely to be an issue, particularly since everyone moved up last season for not 1, not 2, but 4 QBs.

In the end, I wish I liked the kid just enough to root for him to succeed but that interview....mein gott!

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

If he's 5'10, I'm 7 feet tall.

We will get the final answer at the combine but if he doesn't end up being a good QB it's not going to be due to his height. I would be more worried about his weight if anything, there aren't many sub 200 pound QBs in the league so he will need to add at least 10-15 pounds to his frame if he wants to stay on the field. 

4 hours ago, FO-Ti said:

He's at least 5'10 which is certainly tall enough to be successful in today's NFL.  This was the right move on his part, he's the best QB in this class by a decent margin IMO. You might worry about his ability to translate to the pro game maybe 10+ years ago but the requirement for a  6'2 or greater mark for a QB will quickly be phased out the game as more teams implement more spread style offenses. 

No way Murray is 5'10. Here's Murray with Tua and Haskins together.

1zn0jtc.jpg

Tua is 6'1 and Haskins is 6'3. Murray is nowhere near 5'10. He looks more like 5'7 lol

14 hours ago, Paradis said:

I know some of you are pretty much expecting the Jets to trade back at this point, I am not so optimistic however Murray declaring does work in our favor…

Potentially.

Still don’t think anybody trades ahead of Oakland unless they fall in love with the same Qb that Oakland falls in love with... If Oakland falls in love with the Qb at all. There  is simply no incentive to trade up that high otherwise

The Raiders are sitting in the ideal spot most likely where a team trades up to get the Qb.   The Raiders are going with the top pass rusher left on their board at four.  Can probably trade back,  and still get the guy left they covet.   ( or similar graded pass rusher) While getting more draft capital in the process.  

Also the pass rusher  that would be left on the board probably isn't worth the fourth pick .  Why ideally they would look to move back.   

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Rosen doesn’t fit his offense at all

That's what I was thinking. If he wants to come in and be able to do what he wants to do, he may want to draft the guy he thinks can do it.  That will be interesting  to see/ 

8 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

That's what I was thinking. If he wants to come in and be able to do what he wants to do, he may want to draft the guy he thinks can do it.  That will be interesting  to see/ 

I don’t understand why they would hire Kingsbury if they don’t want him to also run his offense

Trying to get a dropback qb like Rosen to run that playbook is like asking Dewayne Robertson to play Nose in a 3-4

Just now, Philc1 said:

I don’t understand why they would hire Kingsbury if they don’t want him to also run his offense

Trying to get a dropback qb like Rosen to run that playbook is like asking Dewayne Robertson to play Nose in a 3-4

Ahh yes. I agree.  I can understand them drafting Rosen last season, but everything changes when you one and done your HC.  That is a crunch it up and throw it all in the trash type of move and getting a new QB who can run the new HC's offense with the first pick seems realistic.  I can see this happening. That's if KK really likes him like he said arbitrarily last season. 

I’m not condemning him for going for what he wants, I’m saying what he wants isn’t going to work out. Which is football. Hell, maybe I’m wrong. But I just don’t see it. I think staying with the MLB would be ideal. But what do I know.

I like baseball but I think that there are very few things that could compare with being an NFL QB. Hard to pass that up if you have a chance to start and to get a big contract.

28 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Maybe I’m missing something but I’m not sure how this affects us unless he is likely to go in the top three and it sounds like he is not.

It probably won't but you never know. Supposedly some NFL executives think he's going top 10 -- a lot of time between now and the draft.

10 hours ago, King P said:

No way Murray is 5'10. Here's Murray with Tua and Haskins together.

1zn0jtc.jpg

Tua is 6'1 and Haskins is 6'3. Murray is nowhere near 5'10. He looks more like 5'7 lol

Yeah, nothing more scientific then judging height by a picture lol but since you bring it up lets look at a much more accurate angle that doesn't show him clearly behind both players.

Image result for kyler murray dwayne haskins tua tagovailoa

Not sure about you but certainly doesn't look like a half a foot of difference in height between Tua and Kyler to me. 

Here's Kyler and Doug Flutie who was listed as 5'10 during his playing days although I will admit he's probably closer to 5'9.

DuFPNszWsAAKzOw.thumb.jpg.e9c4899c75b3feb9f3fdd8501853e3ce.jpg

DuFPM6PXQAAKcHI.thumb.jpg.21ef154c983ff91c344b94afdbbd7d08.jpg

Regardless, not sure why so many are trying to speculate his height as being shorter than listed when we will get the exact measurement at the combine.

Archived