Jump to content
maury77

Forum on DK Metcalf

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

With a few of you guys pounding the table for DK, it's time to put him under the microphone

Let's start off with DK facing off against draft darling Greedy Williams

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

* Alpha male physique

* long strider who looks fast on film, but I'm interested in what his 3 cone is going to look like as I think he may lack some quickness

* catches with his hands, but is prone to drops (I saw him put 2-3 on the ground against LSU)

* Uses a nice stutter step to gain separation on his releases

* Nothing special when adjusting to the ball in the air

* Very limited route tree in college. Mainly ran 9s and dig routes

I think Metcalf is a projection pick. He has a lot of very good tools, but he didn't have very good production in college and I have questions about his hands and ability to make contested catches. I would be comfortable in the late first, early second round with him, but I just don't see enough on film to warrant picking him in the top 10. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, maury77 said:

* Alpha male physique

* long strider who looks fast on film, but I'm interested in what his 3 cone is going to look like as I think he may lack some quickness

* catches with his hands, but is prone to drops (I saw him put 2-3 on the ground against LSU)

* Uses a nice stutter step to gain separation on his releases

* Nothing special when adjusting to the ball in the air

* Very limited route tree in college. Mainly ran 9s and dig routes

I think Metcalf is a projection pick. He has a lot of very good tools, but he didn't have very good production in college and I have questions about his hands and ability to make contested catches. I would be comfortable in the late first, early second round with him, but I just don't see enough on film to warrant picking him in the top 10. 

A lot the excitement is based on sizzle reel material, true. 

I haven't done a deep dive yet, and I will. I have a couple players I'd planned to get to first however. But i'll get to him around the time i want to do some post-combine rankings. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I legit have no idea why this board is obsessed with this guy.  I wouldnt touch him at all.  

I havent seen this board so over the top on a prospect this sh*tty since Paxton Lynch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Isn’t his teammate Brown way better?

In the same amount of years with the same QB's - Brown produced 122 more catches, 1700+ yards and 5 more TD's.

But Metcalf looks great with a shirt off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, section314 said:

Offensive version of Gholston😎

Gholston was much more productive in college than Metcalf...and healthy.

Again, I have no clue why this board is so obsessed with Metcalf.  He spent his entire career running 2 routes and not very well, I might add.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know he’s really talented and some big draft guys seem to be fans of his, but I was hoping to see a more natural receiver than in those first couple of clips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yeah. That's it.

I'm sorry, did you explain why Brown produced at an elite level with the same QB's as Metcalf, or just the shirt off thingy?  ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JiF said:

I'm sorry, did you explain why Brown produced at an elite level with the same QB's as Metcalf, or just the shirt off thingy?  ;-)

I had this same "discussion" with the Clemson poster in the Quentin Williams thread that I couldn't understand the love for Metcalf.  From what I saw he basically runs straight down the field and thats it, but I never got an actual answer to how metcalf's skillset translates to the NFL (and the sec103 guy knows college football).

Zero chance any of these WRs deserve to go top 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2019 at 4:56 PM, Beaver said:

Here is a recent picture of him.   AJ Brown is on the far right cut off.

 

DzJik00X0AIibDk.jpg:large

db2.jpg

David Boston says hello... musculature on a receiver means Zero... Just ask Jerry Rice

 jerryrice.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2019 at 11:37 AM, section314 said:

Isn’t his teammate Brown way better?

Brown has been better than Metcalf.

But Jarvis Landry was also the better receiver between him and Odell Beckham at LSU.

So being better in college does not always translate to being better in the pros

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, King P said:

Brown has been better than Metcalf.

But Jarvis Landry was also the better receiver between him and Odell Beckham at LSU.

So being better in college does not always translate to being better in the pros

Meh, not really.  Landry had a great Junior year but Odell was electric from Day 1 as freshman.  He made jaw dropping plays in both the passing and return game.  Landry's junior year was awesome and he made up ground numbers wise with Odell but Odell had more receptions, yards, and ypc in his career.  The only category Landry was higher was TD's 15 vs. 12...but Odell added 2 in the return game so it's really 14 vs. 15. ;-)

Odell

    Receiving Rushing Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Rec Yds Avg TD Att Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career LSU         143 2340 16.4 12 7 77 11.0 0 150 2417 16
*2011 LSU SEC FR WR 14 41 475 11.6 2 2 19 9.5 0 43 494 11.5 2
*2012 LSU SEC SO WR 13 43 713 16.6 2         43 713 16.6 2
*2013 LSU SEC   WR 13 59 1152 19.5 8 5 58 11.6 0 64 1210 18.9 8

Landry

    Receiving Rushing Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Rec Yds Avg TD Att Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career LSU         137 1809 13.2 15 0 0   0 137 1809 13.2 15
*2011 LSU SEC FR WR 14 4 43 10.8 0         4 43 10.8 0
*2012 LSU SEC SO WR 13 56 573 10.2 5         56 573 10.2 5
*2013 LSU SEC JR WR 13 77 1193 15.5 10 0 0   0 77 1193 15.5 10

 

Now compare Metcalf to Brown:

Brown

 

  Receiving Rushing Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Rec Yds Avg TD Att Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career Ole Miss         189 2984 15.8 19 0 0   0 189 2984 15.8 19
2016 Ole Miss SEC FR WR 11 29 412 14.2 2 0 0   0 29 412 14.2 2
2017 Ole Miss SEC SO WR 11 75 1252 16.7 11 0 0   0 75 1252 16.7 11
2018 Ole Miss SEC JR WR 12 85 1320 15.5 6 0 0   0 85 1320 15.5 6

 

Metcalf

    Receiving Rushing Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Rec Yds Avg TD Att Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career Ole Miss         67 1228 18.3 14 0 0   0 67 1228
2016 Ole Miss SEC FR WR 2 2 13 6.5 2 0 0   0 2 13 6.5 2
2017 Ole Miss SEC FR WR 12 39 646 16.6 7 0 0   0 39 646 16.6 7
2018 Ole Miss SEC SO WR 7 26 569 21.9 5 0 0   0 26 569 21.9 5

 

Not really comparable situations at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s other angles to that argument though, there’s a handful of 5’10 slot receivers from smaller programs who might crush Metcalf and Brow’s numbers. Does that mean they’re better than them?

 I don’t really give a flying fck about Metcalf’s production at ole miss, other then does the film suggest he can make the transition against NFL corners running NFL routes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, King P said:

Brown has been better than Metcalf.

But Jarvis Landry was also the better receiver between him and Odell Beckham at LSU.

So being better in college does not always translate to being better in the pros

I really liked Odell coming out and, frankly, I thought his LSU tape was better than Metcalf's Ole Miss tape. That being said, Odell's LSU tape didn't indicate he would turn into what he has become. I thought Odell was going to be a Laverneous Coles type receiver. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There’s other angles to that argument though, there’s a handful of 5’10 slot receivers from smaller programs who might crush Metcalf and Brow’s numbers. Does that mean they’re better than them?
 I don’t really give a flying fck about Metcalf’s production at ole miss, other then does the film suggest he can make the transition against NFL corners running NFL routes 
Going off the video above I draft greedy Williams over metcalf without thinking twice. Williams looked sharp metcalf looked lazy imo

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Going off the video above I draft greedy Williams over metcalf without thinking twice. Williams looked sharp metcalf looked lazy imo

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app
 

For the record I'm not advocating one way or another, yet. There's enough Metcalf push back to warrant a second look.

In general though, college production used as a capital measure of NFL success is a incredibly flawed approach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
For the record I'm not advocating one way or another, yet. There's enough Metcalf push back to warrant a second look.
In general though, college production used as a capital measure of NFL success is a incredibly flawed approach. 
If you don't judge a player by their production are you drafting based off intangibles? Their names? Their appearance? You can see more than production in the film anyway you can see attitude and tendencies. Metclalf to me looks like he could have tendencies of being lazy or sluggish. Williams looks like he is a full effort guy who looks like he plays with emotion. I could picture Williams and Adams becoming a fun db tandum to watch. Could be completely wrong in this and metcalf could become the next Calvin Johnson but I don't think I will be.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bealeb319 said:

If you don't judge a player by their production are you drafting based off intangibles? Their names? Their appearance? You can see more than production in the film anyway you can see attitude and tendencies. Metclalf to me looks like he could have tendencies of being lazy or sluggish. Williams looks like he is a full effort guy who looks like he plays with emotion. I could picture Williams and Adams becoming a fun db tandum to watch. Could be completely wrong in this and metcalf could become the next Calvin Johnson but I don't think I will be.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app
 

Colt Brennan crushed NCAA records and a mountain of trim at Hawaii... couldn't do jack in the NFL. That's what i mean when i say using production as the at the primary determinant - can blow up in your face. 

Greedy is OK, but i'm a bigger fan of Murphy and JoeJuan Williams -- who's about to be a round 1 name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Colt Brennan crushed NCAA records and a mountain of trim at Hawaii... couldn't do jack in the NFL. That's what i mean when i say using production as the at the primary determinant - can blow up in your face. 
Greedy is OK, but i'm a bigger fan of Murphy and JoeJuan Williams -- who's about to be a round 1 name. 
It is almost the time of year the boards really start getting shaken up. There will always be players who do great in college than fail coming into the NFL. It is hard to say what a 20 year old kid who has never really had anything of his own will do with a million dollar paycheck some of them just give up once they have made it, some struggle with drug addictions and so on. I like metcalf I just dont like him as our first round prospect. He looks the part but my fear is that what he lacks is either speed or heart.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2019 at 11:51 AM, JiF said:

Gholston was much more productive in college than Metcalf...and healthy.

Again, I have no clue why this board is so obsessed with Metcalf.  He spent his entire career running 2 routes and not very well, I might add.

 

 

Holy Stephen Hill Batman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Websites, SEO & Social Media

Mile Social
×