Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jetster

Williams defense~Who stays? Who goes?

Recommended Posts

We're all certain that the offensive line will be rebuilt but the defense will also be tweaked with Williams leading the charge. Will a free agent LB be targeted? No ones mentioned the LB position except to say Lee sucks, Jenkins & Avery are too slow footed & Brandon Copeland looks like a keeper. This is going to be an interesting development after Williams & his group review film from 2018. 

There are probably 3-4 players wondering what their future is with the Jets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Skrine is on the roster next September I’m giving up 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would hope that realistically they cut ties with Skrine and Anderson who doesn't fit the new scheme as a 4-3 or DT unfortunately.  I personally really don't see where Jordan Jenkins fits in with this new scheme either unfortunately.  I don't think he has the speed and sideline to sideline ability to play MLB nor the coverage abilities to play OLB and cover RBs and TEs if that's the way the new scheme works. 

I don't think the defense if far off.  If they plug in an impact interior lineman and put him next to Leo that'll in turn improve Leo's play dramatically I think.  They need another quality CB even if Claiborne returns seeing as him and Trumaine Johnson are injury prone and I would get a MLB to play what I think is a key role in Greg Williams defense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 free agent LBs to watch once free agency begins.

CJ Mosley, Preston Smith, Za'darius Smith.

With Lee, Jenkins, Williamson all having their warts it will be interesting what Williams thinks about these guys relative to his scheme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Jenkins will likely be traded. He's a bad fit for the 4-3.

The bright side is he had good year last year, so his trade value is as high as it likely can get.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Jenkins is probably going to get moved.

Lee is probably a better fit for the 4-3. I'm guessing Avery will be the Mike, Lee will be the Will and the Sam isn't on the roster. Pure speculation though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think Jenkins is probably going to get moved.

Lee is probably a better fit for the 4-3. I'm guessing Avery will be the Mike, Lee will be the Will and the Sam isn't on the roster. Pure speculation though.

I thought the Mike in this scheme had to be fleet of foot? or is it the Will? I'm confused, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jetster said:

I thought the Mike in this scheme had to be fleet of foot? or is it the Will? I'm confused, lol.

I mean all of the linebackers in a 4-3 need to be able to move. I see Lee as more of an OLB because blitzing and covering seems more suited to him than being a sideline to sideline tackle machine, but it's all relative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I thought the Mike in this scheme had to be fleet of foot? or is it the Will? I'm confused, lol.

That would be the Will. Lee. Avery has the size for Mike. Hewitt at Sam. Surprise candidate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, genot said:

That would be the Will. Lee. Avery has the size for Mike. Hewitt at Sam. Surprise candidate

I thought Brandon Copeland outplayed Hewitt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I thought Brandon Copeland outplayed Hewitt?

I think your right. Hewitt might have more speed than Copland, though.That could be a difference maker in Williams eye?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At minimum, we need 2 ends and a linebacker.  I agree with most of the above posts that Jenkins is not a 4-3 end.  

Keep an eye on linebacker Kwon Alexander (TB) in free agency.  He's everything we expected Darron Lee to be.  If Bowles is bringing his 3-4 to Tampa, I don't think they'd see him as a fit.   Pair him with Lee & Williamson and that's a solid starting 3.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, genot said:

I think your right. Hewitt might have more speed than Copland, though.That could be a difference maker in Williams eye?????

Hewitt looked way better than Lee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, F00tballGuy69 said:

At minimum, we need 2 ends and a linebacker.  I agree with most of the above posts that Jenkins is not a 4-3 end.  

Keep an eye on linebacker Kwon Alexander (TB) in free agency.  He's everything we expected Darron Lee to be.  If Bowles is bringing his 3-4 to Tampa, I don't think they'd see him as a fit.   Pair him with Lee & Williamson and that's a solid starting 3.  

Besides Skrine who simply letting him go is an upgrade to the defense I think cutting Lee is almost a necessity 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, genot said:

That would be the Will. Lee. Avery has the size for Mike. Hewitt at Sam. Surprise candidate

Lee most likely will try & fill this role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Hewitt looked way better than Lee

Let's see what happens here. Williams isn't gonna play anyone who shies away from contact. It's a different defense. Lee will be playing the same role he played at Ohio State. We have to trust at this point Williams judgement. He's been around a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Id be shocked if CJ mosely hit FA. The ravens love him, but if he somehow did dont be surprised if the jets make a run at him.  Extremely Smart and while Williamson will be a good Mike, Williams Defense wants the mike to drop into the deeper middle if they go into a Tampa 2 coverage.  Mosely would be a better fit to do this than williamson.

I also believe Williamson can play the Sam in this defense so it allows for some versatility.  The only downside is that is a lot of money invested into the LB position.  It'll be interesting to see what they jets do because they need to add talent at both DE positions and a corner. 

 

On defense alone the jets need to add somewhere around 4-maybe 5 starters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Lee most likely will try & fill this role.

More to talk about this off season. So much, juggling of personal. New coaching staff. Lot's of money to spend. And the draft, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Hewitt looked way better than Lee

Different defense. Lets see what Williams does. One thing we know. He's not gonna put up with anyone who shies away from contact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Hewitt looked way better than Lee

I had a complete brain drain. Check out my double postth4S5DO4CU.jpg.af101fd16e6573f3c167f3c7dc6047d1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jetster said:

I thought the Mike in this scheme had to be fleet of foot? or is it the Will? I'm confused, lol.

in the base D he's the will. There was an interesting thread on here today about williams scheme and how he runs a decent amount of tampa 2 where Lee would probably be better at mike.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is everyone assuming we run a base 4-3. Williams himself says he is flexible, so I am not sure that switch is quite etched in stone.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why does everybody say Lee and blitzing? He is the most easily blocked LB i have ever seen...he may as well run out the tunnel , cos he aint gonna get the QB there either

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, genot said:

Let's see what happens here. Williams isn't gonna play anyone who shies away from contact. It's a different defense. Lee will be playing the same role he played at Ohio State. We have to trust at this point Williams judgement. He's been around a long time.

I agree Lee is more suited to play in 4-3 I just don’t think he will ever be good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

why does everybody say Lee and blitzing? He is the most easily blocked LB i have ever seen...he may as well run out the tunnel , cos he aint gonna get the QB there either

Lee is utter garbage and he keeps getting chances

 

In coverage Lee gets abused by everyone and that isn’t really affected by  whether it’s base 4-3 or 3-4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I agree Lee is more suited to play in 4-3 I just don’t think he will ever be good

If he doesn't perform in Williams defense, he'll be gone. No more nice, nice, with players not doing their job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why everyone is assuming Jenkins is a bad fit? The Sam linebacker in a 4-3 typically has a similar skill set to Jenkins. Jenkins actually might be a better fit as a Sam in the 4-3 than he was in the 3-4.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Williams will need a 4-3 NT (which we would need either way). He will also need a rush end. I think the other DT and DE can be filled on the roster depending on where Leo fits in. Those two positions can be filled by 3-4 DE types and we have a few of them. As far as LB goes I think We could use depth. Lee Williamson and Jenkins should be a good set of LBs.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Williams will need a 4-3 NT (which we would need either way). He will also need a rush end. I think the other DT and DE can be filled on the roster depending on where Leo fits in. Those two positions can be filled by 3-4 DE types and we have a few of them. As far as LB goes I think We could use depth. Lee Williamson and Jenkins should be a good set of LBs.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Mo Lewis played in both the 4-3 and then 3-4 under Parcells.  So did Marvin Jones. 

Jenkins and Lewis, both out of GA, are similar players.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, varjet said:

Mo Lewis played in both the 4-3 and then 3-4 under Parcells.  So did Marvin Jones. 

Jenkins and Lewis, both out of GA, are similar players.  

I agree. Jenkins is very similar to Mo Lewis. Jones is also very similar to WIlliamson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RSJ said:

Not sure why everyone is assuming Jenkins is a bad fit? The Sam linebacker in a 4-3 typically has a similar skill set to Jenkins. Jenkins actually might be a better fit as a Sam in the 4-3 than he was in the 3-4.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Agree.  I actually think Sam linebacker is Jenkins natural position in the nfl

 

The giants moved Kiwanuka to LB in a 4-3 and Jenkins is probably better tackling in space 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Websites, SEO & Social Media

Mile Social

×