Barry McCockinner

Report: Texans to cut Demaryius Thomas today

Rate this topic

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd tag him at the 2nd round level and probably end up taking the pick if someone is willing to sign him.  Let the market decide just how much he's worth rather than protecting him at a level where no one would be willing to touch him. 

He's about replacement level as a WR by the available metrics (# 55 WR on PFF in 2018, # 65 on FO in 2018, # 47 in 2017).  Why are we so afraid to lose him?

Because who do you replace him with?  Golden Tate?  Demaryius Thomas?  Also, the 2018 number is very skewed.  Look at his performance in the last 4 games after Sam got back.  He was a different player.  I'd rather bet on him continuing to perform at that level than bring in a vet who wasn't even that productive last year.  We can afford to overpay a bit this year so I think we use that to our advantage because I have little doubt that some team in the bottom 10 of the 2nd round would be more than willing to gamble on Robby.

9 minutes ago, kelly said:

Demaryius Thomas had his best seasons working with Adam Gase but don't expect a reunion with the Jets              https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-demaryius-thomas-gase-20190212-story.html  

Mehta is a terrible journalist. He'd be a good message board poster sharing his opinions but a good journalist would reach out to sources who are willing to put there name on it and do some research before writing an "article". I have no idea how he remains employed.

15 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Because who do you replace him with?  Golden Tate?  Demaryius Thomas?

Who cares?  If he's barely above replacement level he's well worth the 2nd round pick, especially since we don't currently have one. 

But yes, Tate would be on my list of potential FA's.  As well as Adam Humphries and Cole Beasley.  This draft seems to have a plethora of good WR's in it, so we can also find an upgrade there. 

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Mehta is a terrible journalist. He'd be a good message board poster sharing his opinions but a good journalist would reach out to sources who are willing to put there name on it and do some research before writing an "article". I have no idea how he remains employed.

Mehta definitely posts here so he is already a message board poster....still doesn't make him a good journalist either but I digress. 

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

We can afford to overpay a bit this year so I think we use that to our advantage 

No, we can't.  Not with the number of open roster spots we have to fill.  We already gave solid coin to Enunwa.  There's absolutely zero reason to overpay for Robby. 

Let the league determine how much Robby is worth.  Macc has made a habit of outbidding himself, paying money no one else would.  Trumaine Johnson, Revis, Buster Skrine, Marcus Gilchrist, Ryan Fitzpatrick, McCown are examples of that.  Pay market value and not a dime more, for once.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Who cares?  If he's barely above replacement level he's well worth the 2nd round pick, especially since we don't currently have one. 

But yes, Tate would be on my list of potential FA's.  As well as Adam Humphries and Cole Beasley.  This draft seems to have a plethora of good WR's in it, so we can also find an upgrade there. 

Cool, we'll just draft his replacement....easy peasy. That's worked out so well for us since what 2000 and our Coles pick? 

4 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Cool, we'll just draft his replacement....easy peasy. That's worked out so well for us since what 2000 and our Coles pick? 

Just because we've sucked at drafting WR's before doesn't mean you stop trying.  It just means you do better at it.  I don't trust Macc, but I prefer trying to find cheap WR's on their rookie deals in the draft rather than overpaying for other teams' rejects.  I can give a much longer list of times that has failed to work out. 

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just because we've sucked at drafting WR's before doesn't mean you stop trying.  It just means you do better at it.  I don't trust Macc, but I prefer trying to find cheap WR's on their rookie deals in the draft rather than overpaying for other teams' rejects.  I can give a much longer list of times that has failed to work out. 

Of course...I just think you are undervaluing the impact Robbie has on the team. Has he put up the greatest numbers? No but I don't think it's entirely fair to compare him blindly to all other WR's without taking QB play into account. Should we make him the highest paid WR, no, but I don't think letting him walk for an unknown 2nd pick would be wise either. 

18 minutes ago, Larz said:

He's old and unproductive? 

Back up the brinks truck baby! 

He put up about the same production as Robby Anderson last year while having to learn a new system and gel with a new QB mid season. That's hardly unproductive. He's not the guy he used to be but assuming he fully recovers he can still contribute as a role player and help the other wide receivers with the Gase system. Literally no one is talking about giving him a big contract.

the hyperbole on here is nauseating at times.

6 hours ago, JetPotato said:

I wonder if the AAF will go for guys like this. If they want to be taken seriously as a "developmental league", they should steer clear of washed up has-beens.

Guys in the AAF are signing contracts in the neighborhood of 250K over three years.  I doubt that a 14 million a year wide receiver fits that kind of budget, even at a discount.😀

28 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We're trying to build a team completely the opposite of what D. Thomas represents.  We don't want older, veteran guys coming off two torn Achilles.  We want younger, up and coming guys whose best days are ahead and not behind them.

Pass.

This.

I like Golden Tate, but for the above reason, I don't want him either.  We should be looking at Humphries, Conley, Crowder, Moncrief, maybe even Geronimo Allison (the last two admittedly having checkered injury histories).  

None of those guys are #1's by any stretch and I never expect them to be, but we were never going to land an elite WR in free agency; we've gotta be more realistic and look for players that could grow here to become good options for Darnold.  

13 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

This.

I like Golden Tate, but for the above reason, I don't want him either.  We should be looking at Humphries, Conley, Crowder, Moncrief, maybe even Geronimo Allison (the last two admittedly having checkered injury histories).  

None of those guys are #1's by any stretch and I never expect them to be, but we were never going to land an elite WR in free agency; we've gotta be more realistic and look for players that could grow here to become good options for Darnold.  

Trade for AB sign Allison and we have a playoff team WR corps. 

5 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

Mehta definitely posts here so he is already a message board poster....still doesn't make him a good journalist either but I digress. 

Be funny if Mehta sees something mean written about Woody on here then runs to him

Oh wait it is funny

19 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

This.

I don't think anyone thinks Thomas is elite. He's a solid veteran who knows the system. He had about the same production as Tate last year and is a year older than him.

I understand everyone wants younger players but I think it's good to mix in solid veterans - especially when installing a new system you want a few guys who know it.

51 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

If it wasn't for this forum Mehta wouldn't have a job. 

True. He’d be living under a bridge like most of the rest of the daily news writers

No wonder his lips are krazyglued to Woody’s cornhole

4 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Guys in the AAF are signing contracts in the neighborhood of 250K over three years.  I doubt that a 14 million a year wide receiver fits that kind of budget, even at a discount.😀

I heard Revis is gonna play in AAF, he's just holding out right now.