Report: Texans to cut Demaryius Thomas today

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

We can afford to overpay a bit this year so I think we use that to our advantage 

No, we can't.  Not with the number of open roster spots we have to fill.  We already gave solid coin to Enunwa.  There's absolutely zero reason to overpay for Robby. 

Let the league determine how much Robby is worth.  Macc has made a habit of outbidding himself, paying money no one else would.  Trumaine Johnson, Revis, Buster Skrine, Marcus Gilchrist, Ryan Fitzpatrick, McCown are examples of that.  Pay market value and not a dime more, for once.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Who cares?  If he's barely above replacement level he's well worth the 2nd round pick, especially since we don't currently have one. 

But yes, Tate would be on my list of potential FA's.  As well as Adam Humphries and Cole Beasley.  This draft seems to have a plethora of good WR's in it, so we can also find an upgrade there. 

Cool, we'll just draft his replacement....easy peasy. That's worked out so well for us since what 2000 and our Coles pick? 

4 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Cool, we'll just draft his replacement....easy peasy. That's worked out so well for us since what 2000 and our Coles pick? 

Just because we've sucked at drafting WR's before doesn't mean you stop trying.  It just means you do better at it.  I don't trust Macc, but I prefer trying to find cheap WR's on their rookie deals in the draft rather than overpaying for other teams' rejects.  I can give a much longer list of times that has failed to work out. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just because we've sucked at drafting WR's before doesn't mean you stop trying.  It just means you do better at it.  I don't trust Macc, but I prefer trying to find cheap WR's on their rookie deals in the draft rather than overpaying for other teams' rejects.  I can give a much longer list of times that has failed to work out. 

Of course...I just think you are undervaluing the impact Robbie has on the team. Has he put up the greatest numbers? No but I don't think it's entirely fair to compare him blindly to all other WR's without taking QB play into account. Should we make him the highest paid WR, no, but I don't think letting him walk for an unknown 2nd pick would be wise either. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Larz said:

He's old and unproductive? 

Back up the brinks truck baby! 

He put up about the same production as Robby Anderson last year while having to learn a new system and gel with a new QB mid season. That's hardly unproductive. He's not the guy he used to be but assuming he fully recovers he can still contribute as a role player and help the other wide receivers with the Gase system. Literally no one is talking about giving him a big contract.

the hyperbole on here is nauseating at times.

6 hours ago, JetPotato said:

I wonder if the AAF will go for guys like this. If they want to be taken seriously as a "developmental league", they should steer clear of washed up has-beens.

Guys in the AAF are signing contracts in the neighborhood of 250K over three years.  I doubt that a 14 million a year wide receiver fits that kind of budget, even at a discount.?

28 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We're trying to build a team completely the opposite of what D. Thomas represents.  We don't want older, veteran guys coming off two torn Achilles.  We want younger, up and coming guys whose best days are ahead and not behind them.

Pass.

This.

I like Golden Tate, but for the above reason, I don't want him either.  We should be looking at Humphries, Conley, Crowder, Moncrief, maybe even Geronimo Allison (the last two admittedly having checkered injury histories).  

None of those guys are #1's by any stretch and I never expect them to be, but we were never going to land an elite WR in free agency; we've gotta be more realistic and look for players that could grow here to become good options for Darnold.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

This.

I like Golden Tate, but for the above reason, I don't want him either.  We should be looking at Humphries, Conley, Crowder, Moncrief, maybe even Geronimo Allison (the last two admittedly having checkered injury histories).  

None of those guys are #1's by any stretch and I never expect them to be, but we were never going to land an elite WR in free agency; we've gotta be more realistic and look for players that could grow here to become good options for Darnold.  

Trade for AB sign Allison and we have a playoff team WR corps. 

5 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

Mehta definitely posts here so he is already a message board poster....still doesn't make him a good journalist either but I digress. 

Be funny if Mehta sees something mean written about Woody on here then runs to him

Oh wait it is funny

19 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

This.

I don't think anyone thinks Thomas is elite. He's a solid veteran who knows the system. He had about the same production as Tate last year and is a year older than him.

I understand everyone wants younger players but I think it's good to mix in solid veterans - especially when installing a new system you want a few guys who know it.

4 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Guys in the AAF are signing contracts in the neighborhood of 250K over three years.  I doubt that a 14 million a year wide receiver fits that kind of budget, even at a discount.?

I heard Revis is gonna play in AAF, he's just holding out right now.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Useless player. 

Can't separate.  Can't get yards after the catch anymore.  Struggled with dreadful drops the last few years.

Might read a few positive camp reports about him like Jordy Nelson in Oakland.  He'll make a couple of plays.  Then be washed out of the league... If he even makes their roster.

On 2/12/2019 at 6:54 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/12/report-texans-to-cut-demaryius-thomas-today/?fbclid=IwAR17J4kUyvsdE0Yzwpm1ckKjJwLPc4kbU_XjBGoPJfWQHQxFkExu1pMJXDE

Not the player he once was but might be a solid veteran target for Darnold for the right price. Has experience in the Gase system too, which would be helpful. He had his most success with Manning throwing to him in Gase's system fwiw.

He sucks. That is why he keeps getting cut.

I just want our Jets to be smart and make good choices. Many naysayers here want nothing to do with an older player when they become available. I happen to think if we could have signed him to a team friendly contract and see what he could do would have been OK. Yeah, the Patriots don't know what they are doing.  I can't wait to hear the complaining on how we should have signed him when Thomas has a productive year with Brady.

4 minutes ago, Eaton Beaver said:

I just want our Jets to be smart and make good choices. Many naysayers here want nothing to do with an older player when they become available. I happen to think if we could have signed him to a team friendly contract and see what he could do would have been OK. Yeah, the Patriots don't know what they are doing.  I can't wait to hear the complaining on how we should have signed him when Thomas has a productive year with Brady.

The pats have signed guys like chad johnson who never worked out.  Thomas wont make the team.  Hes done.

51 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The pats have signed guys like chad johnson who never worked out.  Thomas wont make the team.  Hes done.

The Pats signing him is not an indication of whether he'll fail or succeed. They've signed aging vets that have worked out well, and that have failed. I think he can be a useful player still.