Who Was The Best\Worst FA Signing By The Jets?

New York Mick

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I know every year there’s big name players fans want the Jets to sign and I was trying to think who was the best and worst one.

The best Martin or Mawae? Faneca was good but the best. 

The worst  Curtis Conway?

Technically Curtis Martin wasn't a true free agent signing because we ended up giving the Pats a first and third rounder, so I would go with Mawae.

The worst has to be Neil Odonnell hands down, not even close.

50 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Conway was an especially bad signing, because he was brought in to replace Coles after we let him walk to the Redskins without matching their offer. 

Does Santonio Holmes in 2011 count?  When he hit free agency after 2010, we handed him a 5 year, $45 million deal with $24 million in guarantees, one of the most expensive WR contracts of all-time at the time. 

Darrelle Revis in 2015 was terrible too.  5 years, $70 million, with $39 million in guarantees.  That's probably the worst. 

53 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I know every year there’s big name players fans want the Jets to sign and I was trying to think who was the best and worst one.

The best Martin or Mawae? Faneca was good but not the best. 

best - curtis martin 

worst - neil  o'donnell

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Conway was an especially bad signing, because he was brought in to replace Coles after we let him walk to the Redskins without matching their offer. 

Does Santonio Holmes in 2011 count?  When he hit free agency after 2010, we handed him a 5 year, $45 million deal with $24 million in guarantees, one of the most expensive WR contracts of all-time at the time. 

Darrelle Revis in 2015 was terrible too.  5 years, $70 million, with $39 million in guarantees.  That's probably the worst. 

I was thinking about Revis as well because of the money. 

1 minute ago, freestater said:

I agree with most on Mawae as the best. 

The worst...geez, there's been so many...I think Tebow. Just for the extra special way that one blew up in our faces, and honestly...there was never any upside to that signing save one shirtless jog.

Tebow was terrible but that was a trade.

Some other terrible signings I can think of. Leonard Marshal, David Williams, and that guy that was found on the freeway in his own pile of vomit.....his name escapes me but he was from the Raiders.

6 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Worst? A tie between Revis and Cromartie in 2015. In both cases bidding against ourselves on players who fell off a cliff.

best signings - Mawae, Jim Leonhard, Eric Decker, Calvin Pace... the list gets mediocre in a hurry.

Add Faneca.  And technically, Wayne Chrebet was a FA signing (as a rookie).  

18 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Worst? A tie between Revis and Cromartie in 2015. In both cases bidding against ourselves on players who fell off a cliff.

best signings - Mawae, Jim Leonhard, Eric Decker, Calvin Pace... the list gets mediocre in a hurry.

curtis martin ?  

I'm not sure if he was a FA or trade but Kris Jenkins was a monster his first season here. Unfortunately he got injured after that but I would say he was one of the best additions. 

The worst is on the team right now. Johnson. Just from the point of the ridiculous amount of money he is being paid and how he played. 

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Mike Maccagnan signing has been the worst in franchise history.  Should have left him on the market. Who encouraged us to sign him ?. Yeah screw that guy. 

LOL I was going to say Bowles Richtite was the worst

2 hours ago, freestater said:

I agree with most on Mawae as the best. 

The worst...geez, there's been so many...I think Tebow. Just for the extra special way that one blew up in our faces, and honestly...there was never any upside to that signing save one shirtless jog.

Tebow was a trade but I still have PTSD from that holy cow was that stupid

7 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Ed Reed wasn’t a shining star either.

I was really hoping Atwater was going to be a beast. 

Ed was nowhere near the worst. He singlehandedly won Dee Milliner his only professional accolade the few weeks he played with him. 

Santonio & Revis are my two. Shoutout Spencer Long too, who would have easily topped the worst list if Bowles had continued to play him at C and he ended up getting Sam hurt.

Archived