Who Was The Best\Worst FA Signing By The Jets?

New York Mick

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Ed was nowhere near the worst. He singlehandedly won Dee Milliner his only professional accolade the few weeks he played with him. 

Santonio & Revis are my two. Shoutout Spencer Long too, who would have easily topped the worst list if Bowles had continued to play him at C and he ended up getting Sam hurt.

He played 7 games. 

39 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Not good and no where near the worst. Got it

Not sure why you’re still struggling with embracing the simple concept. This is the Jets, afterall. The volume of signings that range from ‘best’ ==> ‘ambivilant’ is roughly 1/4th of the volume that range from ‘ambivilant’ ==> ‘worst’; thereby making it very easy to differentiate between ‘not good’ and ‘nowhere near the worst’.

31 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Not sure why you’re still struggling with embracing the simple concept. This is the Jets, afterall. The volume of signings that range from ‘best’ ==> ‘ambivilant’ is roughly 1/4th of the volume that range from ‘ambivilant’ ==> ‘worst’; thereby making it very easy to differentiate between ‘not good’ and ‘nowhere near the worst’.

Not struggling at all. I personally think Reed was a complete waste of a signing, not the worst but he’s definitely up there. 

I’d think it would be lower then 1/4th. 

12 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Not struggling at all. I personally think Reed was a complete waste of a signing, not the worst but he’s definitely up there. 

I’d think it would be lower then 1/4th

I obviously disagree. We paid him $380k for 7 games in which he clearly was a positive contributor both on and off the field. All that for $54k/game. Long term view? Ok I’ll listen if you say he was bad long term since he helped the Jets win out that season which screwed our draft position and extended Rex’s tenure. But strictly speaking to his on-field production vs. cost, he was nowhere near some of the worst FAs we’ve ever signed. 

Just now, greenwichjetfan said:

I obviously disagree. We paid him $380k for 7 games in which he clearly was a positive contributor both on and off the field. All that for $54k/game. Long term view? Ok I’ll listen if you say he was bad long term since he helped the Jets win out that season which screwed our draft position and extended Rex’s tenure. But strictly speaking to his on-field production vs. cost, he was nowhere near some of the worst FAs we’ve ever signed. 

Ok I take that back then. I did not know that’s what his contract was. He was a waste of a signing but it didn’t cost the team anything. 

18 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Ed was nowhere near the worst. He singlehandedly won Dee Milliner his only professional accolade the few weeks he played with him. 

Santonio & Revis are my two. Shoutout Spencer Long too, who would have easily topped the worst list if Bowles had continued to play him at C and he ended up getting Sam hurt.

Spencer was only 1 year.   His hand was mashed, but his coach kept sending him out there.

Ed was a cheap half season rental.  

Revis returning was awful.   Tru is off to a GREAT start to make this list.

18 hours ago, Philc1 said:

He was a trade.  And a really bad one

Actually it was a really good one.  The Jets wanted Nugent and were prepared to take him in round 1. They traded down, got a pick and a starting offensive player.

We can criticize wanting the kicker but the trade itself was a good one.

Creating cap space is one thing. Macc is an expert at doing that. Knowing what to do with cap space is a very different story, as Macc has demonstrated time and again. For example, releasing Spencer Long when you're O-line already sucks to save cap space is kind of a mystery. But congrats Macc, you freed up cap space by doing so. Can you do something at all with that cap space? You know, such as improving the team? You haven't shown that you know how to do that, yet.

18 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Actually it was a really good one.  The Jets wanted Nugent and were prepared to take him in round 1. They traded down, got a pick and a starting offensive player.

We can criticize wanting the kicker but the trade itself was a good one.

It was one of the worst trades in our history because every mock in the land had us picking Heath Miller. Instead we wound up with Jolley who was terrible, Nugent who was nothing special, and Justin Miller who was an OK returner but sucked at defense.

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Kevan Barlow?

EDIT: I just googled this -- I had no idea we gave up a 2nd round pick for him. That is an ATROCIOUS trade.

Where did you get 2nd from?  It was a 4th and Barlow had 6 TDs on a  team that made the playoffs.

Tannenbaum was really wheeling and dealing that year.  He moved up in the first for Revis.  He had an extra 2nd and moved back up for Harris. The Jets had swapped 2nds with the Bears for Thomas Jones and had an extra 2nd from trading with the Skins in '06.  

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Where did you get 2nd from?  It was a 4th and Barlow had 6 TDs on a  team that made the playoffs.

Tannenbaum was really wheeling and dealing that year.  He moved up in the first for Revis.  He had an extra 2nd and moved back up for Harris. The Jets had swapped 2nds with the Bears for Thomas Jones and had an extra 2nd from trading with the Skins in '06.  

Wikipedia:

New York Jets[edit]

Looking to replace Curtis Martin, who at the time suffered a serious knee injury, the New York Jets acquired Barlow from the 49ers on August 20, 2006 in exchange for their second round draft pick in the 2007 NFL Draft. He was given an honorable mention by Bleacher Report as one of the best trades in the New York Jets' history.[28][29] As part of the deal, the Jets assumed the remainder of his contract which had three seasons remaining at base salaries of $2.5 million (2006), $3.25 million (2007) and $4 million (2008).[27]

If it was a 4th round pick that's still bad but much more forgivable.

18 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Wikipedia:

New York Jets[edit]

Looking to replace Curtis Martin, who at the time suffered a serious knee injury, the New York Jets acquired Barlow from the 49ers on August 20, 2006 in exchange for their second round draft pick in the 2007 NFL Draft. He was given an honorable mention by Bleacher Report as one of the best trades in the New York Jets' history.[28][29] As part of the deal, the Jets assumed the remainder of his contract which had three seasons remaining at base salaries of $2.5 million (2006), $3.25 million (2007) and $4 million (2008).[27]

If it was a 4th round pick that's still bad but much more forgivable.

Wikipedia is wrong.  Big shock.   

These people gave us Seabiscuit, starring Sarah Jessica Parker and this:

funny-wikipedia-edits-92-590300e2cddbb__

42 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Kevan Barlow?

EDIT: I just googled this -- I had no idea we gave up a 2nd round pick for him. That is an ATROCIOUS trade.

THANK YOU. I forgot that slugs name. I'm shocked and dismayed that this loser hadn't already been mentioned in this discussion? I see everyone's Curtis Conway and I raise you KEVAN BARLOW.

3 hours ago, RobR said:

It was one of the worst trades in our history because every mock in the land had us picking Heath Miller. Instead we wound up with Jolley who was terrible, Nugent who was nothing special, and Justin Miller who was an OK returner but sucked at defense.

That's great about the mocks but we wanted Nugent.  Instead of using a 1st rounder on him we acquired a starting player and 2 more picks while still getting Nugent.  Again, you can criticize who they were targeting and who they picked but the trade itself was a good one.

Archived