Who Was The Best\Worst FA Signing By The Jets?

New York Mick

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

That's great about the mocks but we wanted Nugent.  Instead of using a 1st rounder on him we acquired a starting player and 2 more picks while still getting Nugent.  Again, you can criticize who they were targeting and who they picked but the trade itself was a good one.

Belichick is a glorified DC and actually the Jolley trade and Mike Nugent pick was good. Dear god man.

4 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Kevan Barlow?

EDIT: I just googled this -- I had no idea we gave up a 2nd round pick for him. That is an ATROCIOUS trade.

Amazing how Tanenbaum gets killed for all the bad moves those years but Mangini gets credit somehow for the good moves

4 hours ago, RobR said:

It was one of the worst trades in our history because every mock in the land had us picking Heath Miller. Instead we wound up with Jolley who was terrible, Nugent who was nothing special, and Justin Miller who was an OK returner but sucked at defense.

I wanted Heath.  Wasn’t great but had a solid career much better than Dud Jolley and the Nuge

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Actually it was a really good one.  The Jets wanted Nugent and were prepared to take him in round 1. They traded down, got a pick and a starting offensive player.

We can criticize wanting the kicker but the trade itself was a good one.

No it was horrible in every aspect and I hated before, during and after it happened

Nuge was a JAG kicker and Jolley might be the worst NFL tight end I ever witnessed and as a lifelong jets fan I’ve seen some crappy tight ends

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

That's great about the mocks but we wanted Nugent.  Instead of using a 1st rounder on him we acquired a starting player and 2 more picks while still getting Nugent.  Again, you can criticize who they were targeting and who they picked but the trade itself was a good one.

It is universally lauded as one of the worst trades in our history. Trying too spin it any other way is foolish. We passed up on a borderline Hall of Fame player for next to nothing....how you call that a good trade because we were targeting a kicker in Nugent in the first round doesn't make it better.

35 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I wanted Heath.  Wasn’t great but had a solid career much better than Dud Jolley and the Nuge

Heath Miller would have been the greatest TE that ever put on a Jets uniform. He could catch, block, had soft hands, and came up big when it mattered. He's one of the best all around TE's over the last two decades.

Just now, RobR said:

Heath Miller would have been the greatest TE that ever put on a Jets uniform. He could catch, block, had soft hands, and came up big when it mattered. He's one of the best all around TE's over the last two decades.

No doubt.  I remember back in spring 2005 I was like “this has gotta be the guy and he’s going to be there when we pick”

And Bradway trades for a mediocre kicker and the worst tight end ever

Just now, Philc1 said:

No doubt.  I remember back in spring 2005 I was like “this has gotta be the guy and he’s going to be there when we pick”

And Bradway trades for a mediocre kicker and the worst tight end ever

Yep. It was so obvious we were targeting a TE that year, not a 1st round kicker like Junc says. As usual the Steelers get Miller and we get a steaming pile of sh*t. 

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

No it was horrible in every aspect and I hated before, during and after it happened

Nuge was a JAG kicker and Jolley might be the worst NFL tight end I ever witnessed and as a lifelong jets fan I’ve seen some crappy tight ends

Again, you can criticize who they targeted and who they drafted but the trade was a good one as they got the guys they wanted and added extra picks (I believe one was used to move up later in the draft to take Kerry Rhodes).  Good trade, poor evaluation of talent.

6 hours ago, RobR said:

It is universally lauded as one of the worst trades in our history. Trying too spin it any other way is foolish. We passed up on a borderline Hall of Fame player for next to nothing....how you call that a good trade because we were targeting a kicker in Nugent in the first round doesn't make it better.

It is by those who do not understand what they actually did, for those that do understand they realize the trade itself was a good one.

We wanted Nugent and Justin Miller, we got both and added picks(one of which was used to trade up for Kerry Rhodes) along with getting a starting TE.

The trade itself was good, the talent evaluation was not.  

6 hours ago, RobR said:

Yep. It was so obvious we were targeting a TE that year, not a 1st round kicker like Junc says. As usual the Steelers get Miller and we get a steaming pile of sh*t. 

Obvious to who?  Leading up to that draft all the rumblings were Nugent and Justin Miller.  

Heath Miller was a decent TE, he would not have done much here with our QB situation and the fans that wanted him would have been calling him a bust within 2 years.

6 hours ago, RobR said:

I am lucky I wasn't drinking something when I read this, this take is ludicrous.  Miller was a solid TE who played his entire career with a future HOF QB.  We didn't have that, fans like you would have run him out of town calling him a bust if we drafted him.  He went to the perfect situation in Pitt, the Jets were not a good situation for him.

Shouldn't one of the best all around TEs of the past 2 decades have made at least one all pro team? More than just 2 pro bowls?  He played on great teams with a great QB and didn't make an all pro team but yeah he was one of the best of the last 2 decades ?

I am lucky I wasn't drinking something when I read this, this take is ludicrous.  Miller was a solid TE who played his entire career with a future HOF QB.  We didn't have that, fans like you would have run him out of town calling him a bust if we drafted him.  He went to the perfect situation in Pitt, the Jets were not a good situation for him.

Shouldn't one of the best all around TEs of the past 2 decades have made at least one all pro team? More than just 2 pro bowls?  He played on great teams with a great QB and didn't make an all pro team but yeah he was one of the best of the last 2 decades ?

Huh?  Miller wasn’t great but he was a good all around player and would have been good here

Again, you can criticize who they targeted and who they drafted but the trade was a good one as they got the guys they wanted and added extra picks (I believe one was used to move up later in the draft to take Kerry Rhodes).  Good trade, poor evaluation of talent.

How anyone can still defend this move is incredible 

6 hours ago, nyjunc said:

It is by those who do not understand what they actually did, for those that do understand they realize the trade itself was a good one.

We wanted Nugent and Justin Miller, we got both and added picks(one of which was used to trade up for Kerry Rhodes) along with getting a starting TE.

The trade itself was good, the talent evaluation was not.  

I don't have the time to go back and forth with someone who thought the Doug Jolley trade was a good one. I guess by your logic the Dwayne Robertson trade was also a good one because we got who we were targeting. 

Huh?  Miller wasn’t great but he was a good all around player and would have been good here

He was a good, not great, player that played on loaded teams with a Hall like game QB.  Let's look at what he would have played with here:

2005: Chad got hurt early, Vinny came in off the couch.  Brooks Bollinger was our primary starter d kliff Kingsbury's played a little.

2006: Chad started 16 but he wasn't the same sheet 2 surgeries on his throwing shoulder

2007: Kellen Clemens was primary starter

2008: we got favre a month before the season and he went through the motions while here

2009-2012: Sanchez

2013-14: Geno

How anyone can still defend this move is incredible 

How anyone can bash the move itself is incredible.  

5 hours ago, RobR said:

I don't have the time to go back and forth with someone who thought the Doug Jolley trade was a good one. I guess by your logic the Dwayne Robertson trade was also a good one because we got who we were targeting. 

You don't have time because you don't understand what they did.  Once again, criticize who they targeted, criticize who they drafted but going into that draft they wanted Nugent and Justin Miller with their first 2 picks.  They got both, moved back, picked up multiple picks and a starting player.  One of those picks helped turn into Kerry Rhodes.  Kerry Rhodes was a second team all pro, Justin Miller was a second team all pro (KR).  Those were the only all pro selections among all the players we have discussed.

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Heath Miller an 11 year starter for Pittsburgh was actually not very good and the Doug Jolley trade was actually good.

You should have an adult read my posts to you so you can understand as you continue to post stuff I have never said because you cannot actually counter what I write.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

You should have an adult read my posts to you so you can understand as you continue to post stuff I have never said because you cannot actually counter what I write.

Heath Miller would have been the best tight end in the history of the franchise. But continue.

48 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Heath Miller would have been the best tight end in the history of the franchise. But continue.

Mickey Shuler was a second team all pro with Ken O'Brien as his QB, Heath never made any all pro team with Ben as his QB.

Putting that aside, you still cannot comprehend what I have said. I never bashed Heath, I have said over and over again that you can bash the evaluation and picks but the trade itself was a good one.  That's just a fact and you can ignore that all you want with your made up replies.

Archived