Spencer Long to the Bills

IndianaJet

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets see how much he signed for.  This sign and cut move is something that happens when you switch GMs, not when you keep the same GM.

Long was not part of the solution, but he was not part of the problem.  Dozier, Qvale and Carpenter are part of the problem.  

12 minutes ago, varjet said:

Lets see how much he signed for.  This sign and cut move is something that happens when you switch GMs, not when you keep the same GM.

Long was not part of the solution, but he was not part of the problem.  Dozier, Qvale and Carpenter are part of the problem.  

I wanted him as our backup to both guard positions and center. That is valuable. I’d be fine with letting him go if it weren’t for all the holes that we had. I would have kept him and still possibly cut him later on which would have still saved about $3mil anyways.

Sure we would have lost his $3mil roster bonus due 2/6/19 but considering our o-line situation and lack of FA options and our lack of depth, this is probably a bad move. Time will tell. 

Wow, looks like a 3yr, 13M contract with incentives up to 15M.  He got a raise!!

That doesn't seem to be the case. The contact would be about 4.3 to 5 Million a year. 

In 2019, his salary with the jets would have been 3 million, but in 2020 and 2021 it would have been over 6.25 and 6.65 respectively so even if he earns the incentives he will still make less than his Jets deal would have paid over the next 3 years.

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm still a little surprised we let go of him considering our issues on the line. We're not really in a position to be cutting capable guys...

Hopefully it means we plan on drafting some olinemen for a change.

8 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Hopefully it means we plan on drafting some olinemen for a change.

The Jets will draft at least one lineman and sign at least 2.  

The guys they sign will be alot more expensive than Long.

I do believe that they were better off keeping long for his contract amount, at least now.  I will be proven wrong if they draft and sign upgrades.

After the Pete Kendall incident, the Jets starting to take the OL seriously and had success.  I don't see any evidence that the Jets have started to the OL seriously.  

4 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Jets need a new guard, center and right tackle. How can you count on Brandon shell coming off of surgery? You cant only guy returning will be Winters

Fortunately it’s a deep market at OL for free agents plus Mac will also draft Jonah

3 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I wanted him as our backup to both guard positions and center. That is valuable. I’d be fine with letting him go if it weren’t for all the holes that we had. I would have kept him and still possibly cut him later on which would have still saved about $3mil anyways.

Sure we would have lost his $3mil roster bonus due 2/6/19 but considering our o-line situation and lack of FA options and our lack of depth, this is probably a bad move. Time will tell. 

I am always happy to see people that did not measure up go.  It is better than seeing guys you gave no opportunity to go.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm still a little surprised we let go of him considering our issues on the line. We're not really in a position to be cutting capable guys...

I agree.  Beggars can't be choosers and Long would immediately pencil in as a starting LG for the Jets while we work on upgrading at least 2 or 3 other spots.  I always thought that upgrading Center (ex. FA Paradis) while sliding Long to LG and retaining Winters for another year would be a good interim solution for the interior 3 spots on the OLine while the Jets look to get younger and upgrade through the Draft.  Cutting Long certainly isn't being done because the Jets need the Cap space so I'm wondering what's up.

Archived