Spencer Long to the Bills

IndianaJet

So we cut a player, who while somewhat injury prone, had a down year due an injury to his snapping hand at center, then moved to guard and played decently - with the injury to his hand and the player is immediately picked up by a team in our division and people are happy about that?

Spencer Long is not an elite player.  But cutting him means we need to find a guard AND a center and also can't upgrade Brian Winters, who in my opinion is a worse player then long and can't player center.  This team has a lot of holes and keeping Long at his $6 million number wasn't going to kill our ability to sign any other player in the league.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, BCJet said:

So we cut a player, who while somewhat injury prone, had a down year due an injury to his snapping hand at center, then moved to guard and played decently - with the injury to his hand and the player is immediately picked up by a team in our division and people are happy about that?

Spencer Long is not an elite player.  But cutting him means we need to find a guard AND a center and also can't upgrade Brian Winters, who in my opinion is a worse player then long and can't player center.  This team has a lot of holes and keeping Long at his $6 million number wasn't going to kill our ability to sign any other player in the league.

Let’s see how it plays out.  This basically forces Mac to throw money to upgrade the position.  Point of fact is the guy was cut, meaning 99% chance he’s not resigning here. We’re going to some body to fill that hole. Let’s see.

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Let’s see how it plays out.  This basically forces Mac to throw money to upgrade the position.  Point of fact is the guy was cut, meaning 99% chance he’s not resigning here. We’re going to some body to fill that hole. Let’s see.

In a perfect world the Jets will find 2 and 3 round picks and draft a C and a G, but I don't know if that happens.  

I think they Jets spend big money for a FA C and G.  

8 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

If you're going to bash a city at least get your thoughts straight 1st grasshopper.

Explain to me what “thoughts” have to do with a spelling error(s).  What were the “thoughts” detailed that weren’t “straight”?

My “thoughts” were articulated well enough for you to understand them totally.  So what you write makes no sense.

What connection do you have to Buffalo that seem to make my “bashing” of it painful for you? Refute my “thoughts” ie “Buffalo is great because.....”, don’t go after spelling, that’s pathetic.

It’s no “city” in my book.  To each his own.

13 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Absolutely.

Tired of the tortured Jet fan “logic” which sets the bar at the lowest of levels so often.

”Well at least Maccagnan isn’t as bad as Idzik”

”Well at least Bowles isn’t as bad as Kotite”

Both those statements are in fact debatable, but this has to end.  The team needs quality at every level...without compromise and without excuses.

Right.  Our backups are not worthy.  Pure and simple.  Backups are not just filler.  They have to make a little impact.

11 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

This was squarely on Bowles!!!

It is a joke that the Jets through Bowles set up Long to fail and when he did they act shocked he in fact failed.  

Maddness!!

He was a cheap lineman and the Jets cut him.  I am not so sure they thought he was even decent

32 minutes ago, jack48 said:

He was a cheap lineman and the Jets cut him.  I am not so sure they thought he was even decent

If the Jets kept him and paid the roster bonus, he would have cost them 6.5 million, salary and bonus this year.  While not at top salary, that is not cheap.  Guess they felt they could get better bang for the buck elsewhere or decided, Harrison, ,rookie, free agent was a better option.  We'll see.

2 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

If the Jets kept him and paid the roster bonus, he would have cost them 6.5 million, salary and bonus this year.  While not at top salary, that is not cheap.  Guess they felt they could get better bang for the buck elsewhere or decided, Harrison, ,rookie, free agent was a better option.  We'll see.

The problem with the Jets is that we have seen them time after time make moves that looked curious and assumed they had a plan, and then they don’t.  Particularly with the OL. This goes back 20 years.   We fans have the right to be skeptical. 

I am looking forward to seeing what the OL looks like in July. 

2 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Harrison was not a rookie FA.  I mean, he wasn't drafted, but he was on the Colts for 3 years.  He was on his 2nd contract with the Jets and, oh by the way, he is an unrestricted free agent. 

maybe this has something to do with it:

Frank Pollack (offensive line): Pollack has no background with Gase, but he coached for the Houston Texans while general manager Mike Maccagnan was in the scouting department. Pollack is a no-nonsense technician who prefers a zone scheme over man. In one season with the Cincinnati Bengals, he helped transform their running game. They averaged 4.69 yards per carry, their best mark since 1989 and an improvement of 1.07 yards from 2017 -- the biggest one-year jump in franchise history. Prior to that, Pollack spent five seasons with the Dallas Cowboys, presiding over one of the NFL's best lines. He has a big challenge with the Jets, who are planning significant changes.

13 hours ago, rangerous said:

there are 42 free agents at the offensive guard available not to mention tackles and centers.  maybe half meet the age criteria.  i'm fairly certain they'll find a player with equal skill.

But we're not the only suitors in the league.  Absolutely no guarentee that we'll find someone of a similar skill set.

21 minutes ago, peebag said:

But we're not the only suitors in the league.  Absolutely no guarentee that we'll find someone of a similar skill set.

i guess you wanted to keep long? frankly either way works for me.  if the jets really want a guy, maybe saffold, then they just need to pay.  or they could adjust their draft so they use a higher draft pick than they normally would for an og.  i'm thinking mac considered this when he chose not to keep long. at least i hope so.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Harrison was not a rookie FA.  I mean, he wasn't drafted, but he was on the Colts for 3 years.  He was on his 2nd contract with the Jets and, oh by the way, he is an unrestricted free agent. 

Harrison, free agent, rookie  {draft choice or free agent}, that's three separate players,I was talking about. Unrestricted free agents can be resigned, can't they?

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i guess you wanted to keep long? frankly either way works for me.  if the jets really want a guy, maybe saffold, then they just need to pay.  or they could adjust their draft so they use a higher draft pick than they normally would for an og.  i'm thinking mac considered this when he chose not to keep long. at least i hope so.

The plan could be pretty simple.  

Sign FA C, G and T.  

Draft G and T in Rds 3-5.

That gives the Jets:

LT-FA/Beachum

LG-FA

C-FA

RB-Winters/Draft pick

RT-Shell/FA/Beachum/Draft pick

2020 (Important Year)

LT-FA

LG-FA/Draft pick

C-FA/Draft pick

RG-Draft Pick

RT-Shell/Draft Pick.

In 2020, there MAY be one survivor from the Jets 2018 OL.

5 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Aah. I never notice roster bonuses.,  6.5 does seem like a lot for him.  Anything seems like a lot for him, ha ha

8 hours ago, jack48 said:

Right.  Our backups are not worthy.  Pure and simple.  Backups are not just filler.  They have to make a little impact.

If you don’t know how to draft ie Maccagnan, it’s impossible to have any depth on the team not to mention a single playmaker, Jets have a single one in Darnold but you could give credit to a blind squirrel as much as Maccagnan on that pick.  Giants draft Darnold, as they should have, Jets QB right now is Josh Allen or Josh Rosen.

If you don’t know how to draft you’re going to wind up with a bottom feeding roster just like the Jets have at present, where virtually none of their starters could start anywhere else other than the new AAF league.

I realize the Johnsons not only wanted to save face by not wanting to fire Maccagnan at the same time as Bowles after another terrible face saving decision in granting BOTH extensions (what’s the ONLY way NOT to get an extension? Lose ALL 16 games?) but when does the old saying “The definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result” kick in ????

Maccagnan CAN’T DRAFT he’s on his 5th shot for Chrissake, when do they finally remove his office furniture, and props? (Multiple coffee cups and computer (which he probably doesn’t know how to use, it’s there for show just like all the “burning the midnight oil” coffee cups.

I really hope Gase and Williams have a lot of say this draft.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

The plan could be pretty simple.  

Sign FA C, G and T.  

Draft G and T in Rds 3-5.

That gives the Jets:

LT-FA/Beachum

LG-FA

C-FA

RB-Winters/Draft pick

RT-Shell/FA/Beachum/Draft pick

2020 (Important Year)

LT-FA

LG-FA/Draft pick

C-FA/Draft pick

RG-Draft Pick

RT-Shell/Draft Pick.

In 2020, there MAY be one survivor from the Jets 2018 OL.

you would think so but they've had some issues getting this oline straightened out for the past couple of years.

19 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

If you don’t know how to draft ie Maccagnan, it’s impossible to have any depth on the team not to mention a single playmaker, Jets have a single one in Darnold but you could give credit to a blind squirrel as much as Maccagnan on that pick.  Giants draft Darnold, as they should have, Jets QB right now is Josh Allen or Josh Rosen.

If you don’t know how to draft you’re going to wind up with a bottom feeding roster just like the Jets have at present, where virtually none of their starters could start anywhere else other than the new AAF league.

I realize the Johnsons not only wanted to save face by not wanting to fire Maccagnan at the same time as Bowles after another terrible face saving decision in granting BOTH extensions (what’s the ONLY way NOT to get an extension? Lose ALL 16 games?) but when does the old saying “The definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result” kick in ????

Maccagnan CAN’T DRAFT he’s on his 5th shot for Chrissake, when do they finally remove his office furniture, and props? (Multiple coffee cups and computer (which he probably doesn’t know how to use, it’s there for show just like all the “burning the midnight oil” coffee cups.

I really hope Gase and Williams have a lot of say this draft.

Whose face are they saving?  Charlie Casserly's?  Ha ha.  Agreed.  There are even starters on the Jets I would not want as backups.  Crowell being one.  Skrine (iI know he is a slot corner but i consider him  starter) being another.  I am not crazy about Carpenter either, but I think he is gone.  And whoever our center is is really not a credible backup.

11 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

maybe this has something to do with it:

Frank Pollack (offensive line): Pollack has no background with Gase, but he coached for the Houston Texans while general manager Mike Maccagnan was in the scouting department. Pollack is a no-nonsense technician who prefers a zone scheme over man. In one season with the Cincinnati Bengals, he helped transform their running game. They averaged 4.69 yards per carry, their best mark since 1989 and an improvement of 1.07 yards from 2017 -- the biggest one-year jump in franchise history. Prior to that, Pollack spent five seasons with the Dallas Cowboys, presiding over one of the NFL's best lines. He has a big challenge with the Jets, who are planning significant changes.

Nice to hear

Long at $6.5M is a HORRIBLE USE of salary allocation - injured or not. As decimated as we are at OLine, better and YOUNGER playerS could be had (recall we're sticking with the zone blocking scheme which functions with serviceable JAGS as blockers) with that Cap money. Should the Jets invest in OLine talent despite the system? Of COURSE! but Long was not a solution to the problem at that number. Harrison was just as good, if not better, than Long and is a veteran who only made $880K in 2018. 

On 2/12/2019 at 11:43 PM, varjet said:

In a perfect world the Jets will find 2 and 3 round picks and draft a C and a G, but I don't know if that happens.  

I think they Jets spend big money for a FA C and G.  

Agreed. His moves don’t always work out but one thing I respect about Mac is he is methodical in his approach and always has plans A-E. He has also said he uses pro FA to try to fill holes so he can’t draft BPA. So we almost def sign 1-2 top FA OL and will prob draft at least one with our first 2 picks.

Archived