Antonio done with the Steelers

JetFanatic

Things I'd like about having Brown on the Jets - his production; how valuable he could be for Sam & the offense overall

Things I'd like about having Bell on the Jets - his production; how valuable he could be for Sam & the offense overall

Things I'm concerned about having Brown on the Jets - the risk around his current mental state (which may or may not translate to actual issues); the trade cost in acquiring him

Things I'm not concerned about having Brown on the Jets - the cap hit

Things I'm not concerned about having Bell on the Jets - the risk around his current mental state (which may or may not translate to actual issues); the cost in acquiring him (no draft picks); the cap hit

Lastly - I can see Bell being a "bridge" RB who is productive while we develop our overall offense (OL, Sam's growth) and who can then be easier to replace with a younger, cheaper guy in 3 years or so. I don't see the same with Brown, as WRs generally need more time to develop and grow in an offense. Signing Bell can be a short term boost without longer term issues; Brown is not so simple due to the cost of acquisition and the difficulty to replace. "Replacing" a WR like Brown would need to start about now so that you have a 3rd year guy who is entering his peak performance - but trading for Brown makes it highly likely we'd be delaying that process by at least a year.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Sorry I guess your sixth sense is more reliable than full time  reporters working for NFL Network and CBS who have contacts in the front offices

um dude... the ONLY thing that matters is guaranteed money.  A headline saying they offered Bell $70 million is irrelevant whether it's true or not.  From what I understood, Bell was dissatisfied with the guaranteed money, not the fluff that was the "entire contract amount".  I'm not saying the Steelers low balled him with the guaranteed money, but it was the guaranteed money that was the issue and that is a fact.

And then Gurley signed his deal with about the same guaranteed money that the Steelers offered  Bell and, as of today, that fact is what makes Bell look like a dope more than anything else.  

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Sorry I guess your sixth sense is more reliable than full time  reporters working for NFL Network and CBS who have contacts in the front offices

Schefter said the first year guarantee was only 10.  It was some kind of rolling guarantee structure, probably something like Long's bonus this year meaning his 2nd year had a $3.5M guarantee.  The Steelers were going to do what they do - give him a gazillion touches and dump him when he was used up. 

So here are my cons for signing this beast
1) 30 years old and getting older not younger.
2) had a solid season last year but filled with drama and major red flags including almost killing a kid while throwing furniture from his balcony.
3) has shown little with qbs who are not big ben.
4) all about himself not about his team.
5) skipped ota to work on his mental self (clearly did not work).
6) would cost valuable draft asset(s).
7) not cheap.
8) could become a scapegoat if he does not preform well.

Pros are obvious
1) could be best receiver on offense (for a couple of years which we may not actually be contenders).
2)would help take some pressure off of darnold.

Antonio Brown is a good player (for the Steelers with big ben) and will likely be a hall of fame guy but the fit for our team is just not there in my opinion. We need to look at younger building blocks and shy away from older patch type players.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

15 hours ago, choon328 said:

Like I said, there is nothing to suggest that would happen to him based off the last 6 years of 100+ receptions and having the most TD's of his career last year. 

I said you were right, it's never happened before. I'm positive he'll put forth his most effort on his new contract.

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

I said you were right, it's never happened before. I'm positive he'll put forth his most effort on his new contract.

Again, you were insinuating that he won't put up a max effort even though he has his whole career.  You have no evidence that will happen and his history suggests otherwise. You can be sarcastic all you want, it doesn't make what you say any more valid.

15 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Again, you were insinuating that he won't put up a max effort even though he has his whole career.  You have no evidence that will happen and his history suggests otherwise. You can be sarcastic all you want, it doesn't make what you say any more valid.

his work ethic is what sets him apart from the field. the idea that he's suddenly going to become a loaf is ridiculous.

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I don’t think that’s entirely true. You risk injury and then you never get paid like you were going to ever again. I also don’t think the Steelers had much intention on bringing him back anyway and that contract was intentionally a low ball. They were very public with their desire to franchise tag him one more year and run him into the ground before letting him loose. That’s not fair to Bell if we’re being honest, so why should Bell be the one to risk it all and be the good soldier for the Steelers?

Disagree with you here.  Nearly twenty two Million dollars guaranteed the first year, and  33 million over the first two years is not a low ball offer in my world.  Franchise tag salaries are the average of the top five salaries at the position for that particular year.  The 14.5 Milllion  "average" is right about where he stands league wide as far as production and skill.  He is not the best running back in the league, but is somewhere in the top five.  The money was fair. The second year, if franchised he would have been paid over 16 Million.  Again that is more than fair money.  Most contracts in the league give teams "outs" in the case of long term contracts, or injury. If he was concerned about the injury risk and inability to fulfill the terms he could have purchased contract insurance, as many teams do with their players.  That's why these players make such incredible one year salaries.  As I mentioned, Gurley's contract is similar in that the Rams too have an easy way out'  The problem isn't with the Steelers, it's with the CBA.  Bottom line is that these players want guaranteed contracts, like baseball  and basketball.  That is not going to happen.  I tend to agree.  I hate it when baseball or basketball teams have to pay millions to injured stars who sap the payroll and dramatically effect the team's competitive abilities, for sometimes years.  David Wright's contract destroyed the Mets for years.  Did you enjoy the Kawhi  Leonard fiasco in San Antonio last year?  I didn't, and I hate the Spurs.  These guys have short careers and make a fortune in that short period of time.  It comes with the territory.  You may feel sorry for them.  I don't.  Sorry.

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Schefter said the first year guarantee was only 10.  It was some kind of rolling guarantee structure, probably something like Long's bonus this year meaning his 2nd year had a $3.5M guarantee.  The Steelers were going to do what they do - give him a gazillion touches and dump him when he was used up. 

^^

21 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Nearly twenty two Million dollars guaranteed the first year,

This is not true look at the poster’s post above yours. And besides even if it was true that he was getting 20 million in the first year, what about year 2 and 3? Players want financial stability and 1 year of guarantees up to the standard isn’t enough for anyone nor’ should anyond take a deal like that. And Le’Veon Bell not being the best RB is not a matter of your opinion. His numbers in a full year of playing time is arguably the best considering his pass catching #’s. He’s either #1 or #2 in the league.

If he was concerned about the injury risk and inability to fulfill the terms he could have purchased contract insurance, as many teams do with their players.  

Lol you cannot negotiate injury pay outs in a franchise tag if that’s what you were referring to because there never was a deal of significance to be made from the start so why would he be concerned with injury pay out if the initial contract numbers weren’t to his satisfaction?

Bottom line is that these players want guaranteed contracts

He wants at least the first 3 years guaranteed. No one from Bell’s camp has ever said anything about a fully guaranteed contract.

These guys have short careers and make a fortune in that short period of time.  It comes with the territory.  You may feel sorry for them.  I don't.  Sorry.

That’s just the thing. They do have short careers and running backs especially do. Bell was still working off a rookie contract lol. He has never had his big pay day and he deserves it. It has nothing to do with feeling sorry for him. It’s just what he’s earned and he feels that way more than anyone else...so now he’s testing FA.

To be fair, I am sure that both Bell's camp and the Steelers are pumping bullsh*t out there about the actual contract.  The Steelers especially started publicizing that they offered him a $70M deal to get people off their back.  I'm pretty sure the truth is somewhere in between and that Florio and Schefter never saw any actual paperwork. 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

^^

This is not true look at the poster’s post above yours. And besides even if it was true that he was getting 20 million in the first year, what about year 2 and 3? Players want financial stability and 1 year of guarantees up to the standard isn’t enough for anyone nor’ should anyond take a deal like that. And Le’Veon Bell not being the best RB is not a matter of your opinion. His numbers in a full year of playing time is arguably the best considering his pass catching #’s. He’s either #1 or #2 in the league.

Lol you cannot negotiate injury pay outs in a franchise tag if that’s what you were referring to because there never was a deal of significance to be made from the start so why would he be concerned with injury pay out if the initial contract numbers weren’t to his satisfaction?

He wants at least the first 3 years guaranteed. No one from Bell’s camp has ever said anything about a fully guaranteed contract.

That’s just the thing. They do have short careers and running backs especially do. Bell was still working off a rookie contract lol. He has never had his big pay day and he deserves it. It has nothing to do with feeling sorry for him. It’s just what he’s earned and he feels that way more than anyone else...so now he’s testing FA.

Seven days after the contract would have been signed, first year compensation would have been 20.79 Dollars, for the first year, look it up. By the end of the second year, the total payout would have been 33 million dollars.  That's an average of 16.5 million dollars a year, he is not a quarterback. As far as the "guarantees" go as I stated, Gurley's "gold standard contract" gives the Rams easy outs after the first year.  Contrary to your assertion, LeVeon Bell is not the de facto best back in football.  Top 5, certainly, top three, probably.  The same numbers you celebrate for combined yardage, were garnered by the same,  "excessive usage" stats that you and others cite when discussing the Steelers purported abuse of Bell.  How does that work, exactly?? Can't have it both ways.  Financial stability?  That's laughable.  Entering 2018 LeVeon Bell had earned 30.5 million dollars from football earnings alone.  Had he signed the contract he would have earned over 52 million dollars over seven years, on football alone.  That kind of money would make me feel pretty secure.  He does not cure Cancer.  He plays football.  Get real.  The same person so concerned for his "future security", chose to piss away 14.5 million dollars, over a "perceived lack of respect".  As for the injury insurance, my suggestion was for him to secure an insurance policy with an outside company, just as the Met's did with the Cespedes and Wright contracts, the Knicks with Amare Stoudemire, and the owners of Ruffian and Secretariat.  As for the guaranteed contract his proposal for at least 3 years, would have amounted to 42 million dollars guaranteed. As I stated the Steelers don't do that, and I can't say I blame them. We can't bitch about GM's giving contracts that extend beyond a player's usefulness to the team, and then excoriate them when they exercise control and caution.  Maybe Bell's less than stellar attitude and track record had something to do with it, I don't know.  Perhaps they were afraid of him pulling a "Revis" and didn't want to go there.  His holdouts and acrimonious "in the press" negotiation had already been a distraction to the Steelers for the better part of two years.  They probably had enough of the "circus".  Last point. he was not "working off" a rookie contract.  This was a six year veteran we are talking about.  Don't know where that came from.  Like I said, going in to 2018, LeVeon Bell had already made 30.5 million dollars, from football alone.  So, at the end of the day, he is now a free agent.  Good for him.  We'll see how it develops from here.  Regards Killa.

On 2/12/2019 at 7:52 PM, Bocajetfan said:

Truth be told Bell wanted to be paid. Question is when he gets his money and he will just how motivated will he be. My hope is he will be,but there have been a number of outstanding players that once paid tanked. Grading the heart of Free Agents is almost as hard as grading draft picks.

In agreement. My gut tells me Bell will way under perform any contract he gets. Too much of a "me" type of player IMHO. 

On 2/13/2019 at 7:31 AM, Patriot Killa said:

Do you realize that Bell is worth north of 15million per year on the open market? He wasn’t getting that with the Steelers. Why would you take significantaly less money per year? I don’t get it.

Is he?

i dont see any reason to sign antonio brown. unless we drastically upgrade our offensive live, get a legit RB to compliment darnold, then why waste picks and cap room on a 31 year old prima donna. 

if we were in a Superbowl or bust year i can see the add, but not right now. i rather find a younger wr to pair with darnold with years to come

48 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Steelers are looking for a first for ab. They might get it but I hope it's not from us. Too old too many flags too much negative media attention for a first or even a second imo

They’d be lucky to get a 3rd. He’s a nightmare, over 30 and has very high salary. If he wasn’t happy in Pittsburgh, he won’t be happy at his next destination as they will probably be a bad team.

The Steelers really missed their window with him and Bell. Now things have fallen apart and they are getting nothing or pennies on he dollar in return for 2 of the best offensive players in the league. This makes me very happy. 

Leo and a couple middle round picks for Antonio 

Robby is a faux #1 wr and Enunwa is an egg

Then sign Sheldon Richardson to replace Leo on the DL
Come on, Leo is young enough that he can be a building block. He hasn't lived up to his draft status but he also has not been bad. Antonio Brown is old and a short term answer who has not shown anything with any qb not named big ben (not saying he would be bad with darnold but might take awhile to build chemistry). Giving up Leo and picks for a patch player whos best (or only years) with us would be during a building phase where we are not going to be contending for a superbowl (at least seriously contending) does not make sense.

Antonio Brown Rumors: Steelers Planned to Deal WR Before Trade Request

ADAM WELLSFEBRUARY 16, 2019

Antonio Brown's trade request earlier this week did not catch the Pittsburgh Steelers off guard.

Per Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers had already determined they were going to explore trade possibilities for their disgruntled wide receiver.

Brown's trade request came after he posted a cryptic message on Twitter, thanking Steelers fans for their support over the past nine seasons:

The saga involving the Steelers and Brown seemingly began leading up to a Week 17 game against the Cincinnati Bengals. Brown refused to practice following a dispute with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and was benched for the game, per Bouchette and Gerry Dulac.

On 2/12/2019 at 1:15 PM, Beerfish said:

it is so tough to deal with character things and know if they are long term or just situational.  He is such a great great player.

Problem is with AB those character issues are aimed square at the coaches and more importantly at his QB.  

On 2/15/2019 at 3:29 PM, bealeb319 said:

Come on, Leo is young enough that he can be a building block. He hasn't lived up to his draft status but he also has not been bad. Antonio Brown is old and a short term answer who has not shown anything with any qb not named big ben (not saying he would be bad with darnold but might take awhile to build chemistry). Giving up Leo and picks for a patch player whos best (or only years) with us would be during a building phase where we are not going to be contending for a superbowl (at least seriously contending) does not make sense.

Leo sucks. 

32 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Something volatile is going on in Pittsburgh, first Bell and then Brown. 

Bell has done nothing volatile.  He wouldnt let himself be used.  Not the same as Brown being a douche and fighting with coaches and teammates on the sidelines etc

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:17 AM, Thai Jet said:
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:52 PM, Bocajetfan said:

In agreement. My gut tells me Bell will way under perform any contract he gets. Too much of a "me" type of player IMHO. 

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

This

I agree that Bell will probably under perform any contract he gets.  That's why I am against him coming here.  But, if you agree with this rationale @Philc1, then please explain to me why you are willing to pay:  Dante Fowler 15million, who you agree is a big risk;  and Olivier Vernon who has underperformed badly on a High Cost free agent deal. This is inconsistent thinking and out of character for you.

Archived