Antonio done with the Steelers

JetFanatic

28 minutes ago, GaryM said:

Teams stayed away from Kapernick because of his talent level, Brown and Bell have Hall of Fame talent, thats the difference!!

Maybe. Kapernick, could have signed on as a backup, somewhere. This year with us. You know that's not happening

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

You refuse to take the time to learn what actually happened between Bell and the Steelers obviously.

Bell held out for way too much money.  He’s not a good guy and you guys hate Crowell yet he averaged 4.9 ypc last year behind the worst OL in the history of football supposedly

56 minutes ago, GaryM said:

Teams stayed away from Kapernick because of his talent level, Brown and Bell have Hall of Fame talent, thats the difference!!

I don’t think Kaepernick is good but if you believe that talent alone is why he’s exiled from the nfl you are lost.  He’s easily better than 2/3 of the backup qbs in the nfl

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

Will guys here still defend bell when he's a colt and brown when he's cheater? 

I know I will. He is a knucklehead but was in the right with the Steelers situation. I’m kind of indifferent on signing him. Normally I would hate the move but we are desperate and in a huge hole with not many options in FA. We HAVE TO support Sam.

If Bell signs elsewhere, I still support his decision. The Steelers were being ridiculous with him and unless you know the actual contract offer and not just the inflated bogus number that the Steelers floated, you don’t know the situation in its entirety.

I’m not saying “you” literally @Larz, but there is confusion regarding his actual contract offer and how it was BS and completely unfair in regards to guarantees. It was in his best interest to sit out and not continue to get ridden into the ground. No loyalty by the Steelers so he said “F U” and rightfully so. 

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Yeah lets hope we can duplicate another 4 win team with good chemistry again next year. The NFL is a professional league. Grown men play in it. Winners have talent, losers worry about chemistry.

SORRY I MEANT TO QUOTE @genot here, not BJF

Brown, if he only cost a couple middle round picks, sure make the trade and bring him here.  I think he’s way more valuable than Leveon Bell as was demonstrated this season when James Conner put up the same numbers as Bell

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I know I will. He is a knucklehead but was in the right with the Steelers situation. I’m kind of indifferent on signing him. Normally I would hate the move but we are desperate and in a huge hole with not many options in FA. We HAVE TO support Sam.

If Bell signs elsewhere, I still support his decision. The Steelers were being ridiculous with him and unless you know the actual contract offer and not just the inflated bogus number that the Steelers floated, you don’t know the situation in its entirety.

I’m not saying “you” literally @Larz, but there is confusion regarding his actual contract offer and how it was BS and completely unfair in regards to guarantees. It was in his best interest to sit out and not continue to get ridden into the ground. No loyalty by the Steelers so he said “F U” and rightfully so. 

The Steelers have the best ownership and front office in the entire nfl and Bell couldn’t get along with them after they offered him a huge extension 

So yeah I’m sure Bell will be a model citizen with the Johnson Boys and Wackagnan

Potential Landing Spots, Offers After Antonio Brown Requests a Trade

BRAD GAGNONFEBRUARY 12, 2019

New York Jets

3 OF 7

The New York Jets might want to avoid making a potentially messy splash with a player who could disrupt a young locker room, but it's also possible that new offensive-minded head coach Adam Gase will lobby hard for general manager Mike Maccagnan to get green franchise quarterback Sam Darnold a shiny new weapon. 

They don't come much shinier than Brown, and the Jets make a ton of sense. They have even more cap space than the 49ers and Raiders (and every other team in the league except the Indianapolis Colts, who already have T.Y. Hilton). They lack an elite receiver to team up with the emerging Robby Anderson. And they possess the No. 3 overall pick in April's draft. 

There might, however, be less pressure on the Jets to win now, since they're sporting a second-year quarterback who has yet to turn 22 and they're coming off three consecutive seasons with five or fewer wins.

Jets fans are certainly losing patience, but there's usually a little more rope for teams in transition. Gase probably has more time in his back pocket than San Francisco head coach Kyle Shanahan or Gruden, and the Jets might not want to pay an aging veteran eight figures while they rebuild. 

Still, safety Jamal Adams is one of the team's brightest young stars, and he probably isn't the only player in that building pushing for Brown to come to town. It's possible that'll rub off on the organization's decision-makers, who might convince themselves that a new environment will cause Brown to excel on the field and remain under control off it. 

Odds: +500

Potential offer from the Jets: Mid-first-round pick (following a trade down from No. 3) in 2019

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The Steelers have the best ownership and front office in the entire nfl and Bell couldn’t get along with them after they offered him a huge extension 

So yeah I’m sure Bell will be a model citizen with the Johnson Boys and Wackagnan

What does that have to do with me agreeing with Bell’s stance after the Steelers gave him a disingenuous contract offer with less guaranteed money than his franchise tag? It wasn’t a real/serious contract offer and only to try and make themselves look giood. Look it up. 

7 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

What does that have to do with me agreeing with Bell’s stance after the Steelers gave him a disingenuous contract offer with less guaranteed money than his franchise tag? It wasn’t a real/serious contract offer and only to try and make themselves look giood. Look it up. 

Most big extensions the annual salary is usually less than the franchise tag #

The player signs because in the long run he gets more guaranteed money than a one year franchise tender

Bell is as greedy as Darrelle Revis only Revis was a more valuable player

29 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The nicest way to put this is that you're clueless both about the contract Bell was offered or the season the Steelers would've had with Bell as opposed to Connor. I'll grant you the latter is based on my opinion of the two players, but the former is as factual as a statement can be. I refuse to look up the actual details of the contract Pittsburgh offered him, but as a football fan who cares enough to post regularly on a board like this, I'm amazed you are talking the way you are about both the contract offer and the player. I really thought you were smarter then this. 

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

The nicest way to put this is that you're clueless both about the contract Bell was offered or the season the Steelers would've had with Bell as opposed to Connor. I'll grant you the latter is based on my opinion of the two players, but the former is as factual as a statement can be. I refuse to look up the actual details of the contract Pittsburgh offered him, but as a football fan, who cares enough to post regularly on a board like this, I'm amazed you are talking the way you are about both the contract offer and the player. I really thought you were smarter then this. 

Yeah the Steelers really insulted him with this contract offer you go dude

DDC9AD37-A36D-4896-A0CA-1643130E30E4.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Yeah the Steelers really insulted him with this contract offer you go dude

DDC9AD37-A36D-4896-A0CA-1643130E30E4.jpeg

Like I said, you're clueless about the contract situation and the offer itself. The fact that you posted this proves it.

BTW Dewey never beat Truman despite the fact a newspaper published the story beneath that headline as front page news.

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Like I said, you're clueless about the contract situation and the offer itself. The fact that you posted this proves it.

BTW Dewey never beat Truman despite the fact a newspaper published the story beneath that headline as front page news.

Sorry I guess your sixth sense is more reliable than full time  reporters working for NFL Network and CBS who have contacts in the front offices

16 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Sorry I guess your sixth sense is more reliable than full time  reporters working for NFL Network and CBS who have contacts in the front offices

From what I remember it was very low gaurenteed money. By hitting the FA market he will easily get 20-30 million gaurenteed at signing. It's all about the gaurentee. Gurley got 45 million gaurenteed. I'm sure leveon wants to be in that ball park

19 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

My 6th sense and countless other reports which stated the Steelers ACTUAL offer was a joke. Less guaranteed money then the Gurley contract. Bell would've done better signing the franchise offer, as dumb as that would've been.

The Steelers outsmarted themselves this year because they never thought Bell would actually sit out the entire year. He did, they fell apart in December and missed the playoffs. Bell will recoup the money he lost this season when he signs his FA contract. The team that signs him will get a just turned 27 superstar who is as good a receiver as he is a back. The Steelers will lose this superstar and won't get a single thing back because he called their bluff. Bell wins. Steelers lose. You, still clueless because you won't look into the story behind one team planted article.

I'm not here to educate you on this. Believe what you want. I was just trying to make you aware of how foolish you sounded, but apparently foolish is the hill you've chosen to die on. I'm done trying to help you get down the hill.

47 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Most big extensions the annual salary is usually less than the franchise tag #

The player signs because in the long run he gets more guaranteed money than a one year franchise tender

Bell is as greedy as Darrelle Revis only Revis was a more valuable player

I never said annual salary’s. Just research it. I don’t feel like  finding/posting it again. It’s interesting and favors Bell. Annual salary is not the issue at all here. GUARANTEED money was less than his tag number which is insane. 

29 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

10 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

From what I remember it was very low gaurenteed money. By hitting the FA market he will easily get 20-30 million gaurenteed at signing. It's all about the gaurentee. Gurley got 45 million gaurenteed. I'm sure leveon wants to be in that ball park

10 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

My 6th sense and countless other reports which stated the Steelers ACTUAL offer was a joke. Less guaranteed money then the Gurley contract. Bell would've done better signing the franchise offer, as dumb as that would've been.

The Steelers outsmarted themselves this year because they never thought Bell would actually sit out the entire year. He did, they fell apart in December and missed the playoffs. Bell will recoup the money he lost this season when he signs his FA contract. The team that signs him will get a just turned 27 superstar who is as good a receiver as he is a back. The Steelers will lose this superstar and won't get a single thing back because he called their bluff. Bell wins. Steelers lose. You, still clueless because you won't look into the story behind one team planted article.

I'm not here to educate you on this. Believe what you want. I was just trying to make you aware of how foolish you sounded, but apparently foolish is the hill you've chosen to die on. I'm done trying to help you get down the hill.

8 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I never said annual salary’s. Just research it. I don’t feel like  finding/posting it again. It’s interesting and favors Bell. Annual salary is not the issue at all here. GUARANTEED money was less than his tag number which is insane. 

Lets play a game Phil. It's called "One of these things is not like the others..."

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Lets play a game Phil. It's called "One of these things is not like the others..."

I get how “on paper” the deal looked and that there was a lot of confusion with this bizarre situation. However, it’s been talked a lot on here and that’s why he has been recommended to just research it. That deal is not what it seems at all which is why Bell held out.

If he doesn’t want to look it up, then there is no point in having a conversation about it as his argument can’t be made WITHOUT THE FACTS. That’s all that I think we are saying. I wasn’t trying to jump on the guy but he seemed a little snarky and was missing key points is all. 

I would go as far as betting that he would understand Bell’s stance more if he knew this. That’s all that I’m saying. I see where Bell is coming from and think the Steeler’s were being unreasonable.

Being a huge fan of Bell and desperately wanting him is another story. His original comment was about not defending him anymore if the Jets didn’t sign him. Whether we sign him or not has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with how I feel about his situation with the Steelers. Steelers were way too greedy here with no middle ground at all. $10 mil in guaranteed money? Haha. Yeah ok.....

8 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

The real guarantees in Gurley's contract only approach 22 Million Dollars.  The real guarantees in Bell's proposed  contract would have guaranteed him just under 21Million Dollars.  They were very similar.  If Bell had signed the deal he would have made 21 million in the first year.  The problem, in his eyes, would have come later in the deal, specifically the last two years where he would have made a  "measly" 12 Million Dollars in the last two years of the contract, had he been retained.  Source:  Mike Florio @ Pro Football Talk.  Sorry boys, @phill1c had a point.

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

The real guarantees in Gurley's contract only approach 22 Million Dollars.  The real guarantees in Bell's proposed  contract would have guaranteed him just under 21Million Dollars.  They were very similar.  If Bell had signed the deal he would have made 21 million in the first year.  The problem, in his eyes, would have come later in the deal, specifically the last two years where he would have made a  "measly" 12 Million Dollars in the last two years of the contract, had he been retained.  Source:  Mike Florio @ Pro Football Talk.  Sorry boys, Philc1 had a point.

Gurley got 22 million at signing. 45 gaurenteed in total tho

Screenshot_20190213-004231.png

7 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

The real guarantees in Gurley's contract only approach 22 Million Dollars.  The real guarantees in Bell's proposed  contract would have guaranteed him just under 21Million Dollars.  They were very similar.  If Bell had signed the deal he would have made 21 million in the first year.  The problem, in his eyes, would have come later in the deal, specifically the last two years where he would have made a  "measly" 12 Million Dollars in the last two years of the contract, had he been retained.  Source:  Mike Florio @ Pro Football Talk.  Sorry boys, @phill1c had a point.

The FULLY guaranteed money at signing was way too low. Rolling guarantees aren’t remotely the same as upfront guarantees which is the standard for blockbuster deals at any position.

Top players always shoot for a minimal amount of upfront guarantees. You are both incorrect in thinking that this contract offer was in any way comparable to the actual contracts that star players sign in regards to upfront guarantees money. 

16 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

The FULLY guaranteed money at signing was way too low. Rolling guarantees aren’t remotely the same as upfront guarantees which is the standard for blockbuster deals at any position.

Top players always shoot for a minimal amount of upfront guarantees. You are both incorrect in thinking that this contract offer was in any way comparable to the actual contracts that star players sign in regards to upfront guarantees money. 

If LeVeon Bell was on the roster 7 days after signing he would have been guaranteed 20.92 Million Dollars compensation for the first year.  Fact.  Check it out.  I cited  the source.  There is nothing in my post that is inaccurate if the reports are accurate. The only error here is the contention that he was only guaranteed 10 million the first year.  Ten Million Signing Bonus + Ten Million Roster Bonus + 790,000 Veteran Minimum Salary =  20.79 Million Dollars for the first year.  Period.

2 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

If LeVeon Bell was on the roster 7 days after signing he would have been guaranteed 20.92 Million Dollars compensation for the first year.  Fact.  Check it out.  I cited  the source.  There is nothing in my post that is inaccurate if the reports are accurate.  

I’ve not seen this anywhere but if the FULLY guaranteed at signing was $21mil, that would have been fair. That changes things. The article that I’ve been referencing shows the offer was just over $10 mil at signing.

I was arguing that if you think $10 mil was a fair fully guaranteed amount relative to the rest of he contract, you are crazy. I will gladly try to find what you read since you said it was Florio. 

8 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

If LeVeon Bell was on the roster 7 days after signing he would have been guaranteed 20.92 Million Dollars compensation for the first year.  Fact.  Check it out.  I cited  the source.  There is nothing in my post that is inaccurate if the reports are accurate. The only error here is the contention that he was only guaranteed 10 million the first year.  

Is this the article? I didn’t want to post before I knew.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/05/steelers-offered-leveon-bell-47-million-over-three-years/amp/

The additional $10mil bonus being paid very shortly after the first $10mil guaranteed makes the deal seem much more reasonable from the Steelers end.

It’s still very bizarre because if their intent was to ultimately pay $20mil guaranteed anyways, why not just make the player happy and do the NORMAL thing that they did with Antonio Brown only 1 year earlier and just give him that amount fully guaranteed upfront? It’s like they are playing games.

The whole situation is strange but if this is true, it paints the Steelers in a better light but it’s still a shady/mishandled situation. Bell clearly wouldn’t budge on the fully guaranteed amount at signing and delaying the other $10mil seems like they were messing with him or knew that he’d refuse that contract based on him insisting it had to be guaranteed at signing and are still floating this to cover themselves.

If this is true, both parties failed to find a reasonable middle ground and ultimately the Steelers were more wrong by not just giving it to him up front like any normal contract. 

22 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

If LeVeon Bell was on the roster 7 days after signing he would have been guaranteed 20.92 Million Dollars compensation for the first year.  Fact.  Check it out.  I cited  the source.  There is nothing in my post that is inaccurate if the reports are accurate. The only error here is the contention that he was only guaranteed 10 million the first year.  Ten Million Signing Bonus + Ten Million Roster Bonus + 790,000 Veteran Minimum Salary =  20.79 Million Dollars for the first year.  Period.

Do you realize that Bell is worth north of 15million per year on the open market? He wasn’t getting that with the Steelers. Why would you take significantaly less money per year? I don’t get it.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Do you realize that Bell is worth north of 15million per year on the open market? He wasn’t getting that with the Steelers. Why would you take significantaly less money per year? I don’t get it.

The point is he wasn't on the open market.  The Steelers were using their leverage, as was their right under the CBA to tender him if he did not want to extend.  Besides the offered contract averaged out to the 15 million figure you cite. He wanted a guaranteed 5 year deal.  This is not Baseball or Basketball.  You know it's not done that way. Even Gurley's deal gives them a cheap out.   It is not the way the Steelers do business either. They've been successful doing this way, who are we to argue.  If he performed he would have gotten paid, is that too much to ask?  We will shortly know if his "gamble" paid off.  I think the money he threw away, even if it's "only" the 14.5 Million franchise tender, is money he won't likely get back.  We'll see.

15 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

The article was written by Simon Chester @ www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/   It cites info provided by Mike Florio at Pro Football Talk.  There is the same information other places on the Web.  Regards.

Gotcha and I never saw or heard of this until now. I still support Bell and think the Steelers were wrong to not just give him upfront money like they had with Brown in 2017. I don’t think their intentions were genuine. It’s just not nearly as ridiculous as it originally seemed.

It could have all been avoided and the annual salary amount was more than fair. The shortsighted/inflexible issue on the fully guaranteed money is still on the Steelers though. 

11 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

If he performed he would have gotten paid

I don’t think that’s entirely true. You risk injury and then you never get paid like you were going to ever again. I also don’t think the Steelers had much intention on bringing him back anyway and that contract was intentionally a low ball. They were very public with their desire to franchise tag him one more year and run him into the ground before letting him loose. That’s not fair to Bell if we’re being honest, so why should Bell be the one to risk it all and be the good soldier for the Steelers?

Archived