What should be done at Backup Quarterback?

Tony MaC

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Pac said:

McCown was paid 10 mil because he was the starter the year before and presumed to be the starter this year.  Tannehill has been hurt much of the last 2 years and hasn't played particularly well when hes healthy.  No one is offering him 14 mil a year.

Golden Tate is an overrated JAG. If you think hes worth 15 mil a year you're namesake is dead on.

McCown was worth 10 million because he was the presumed starter? Okay. I’ll buy that. Now remind me again where you fell on the 12 million for names starter Fitzpatrick?

Tate is not a jag. He’ll get at least 12-14 in free agency. He’s better and healthier than Enunwa and he got 20 guaranteed with up to 12 million a year. Please. The WR free agents are not great. He’s going to cash in. 

You would have to think it won't be McCown who didn't look good in his three starts last season. No way the Jets will pay him 10 mil as backup/coach like they did last season. It's kind of an unknown but one guy who could be available is Keenum. It's an important decision since Qbs get regularly injured and sometimes out for the season. Sam missed three games his rookie year. And if a team like the Jets spends big money to become competitive and their starting Qb goes down you want someone who can run the offense competently. That's why NO traded for Teddy last year and the Bears had Chase Daniel etc. 

15 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Holy God I want NOTHING to do with Fitz even as a backup the guy is cursed I think it’s been like 5 qbs in a row now he backed up all got seriously injured

Oh and Fitz also sucks

My dad and I have an ongoing joke about the Fitz curse. Follows him everywhere he goes. Scary

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Wont pay Golden Tate 12 mil to the be the best WR on the team because he's an overrated JAG.

Will pay 14 mil for a back up QB because familiarity. 

Will pay 7 mil for Eli Rodgers because well, no actual reasoning at all just because. 

#Paclogic

12 mil for Tate ? :bwahaharoll:  There's a reason Philly not looking to resign him. Over hyped IMHO.

12 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

12 mil for Tate ? :bwahaharoll:  There's a reason Philly not looking to resign him. Over hyped IMHO.

He wont cost that.  He's never made near that in his career.  That was a # that Pacturd threw out and I used it against him to laugh at how much he thinks Tannehill will cost and how he'd be willing to spend stupid money on a back up vs. surround Sam with the best possible available talent.  

If you think a guy who is 1 year removed from having 5 straight years of 90+ receptions is over hyped than I think you should let go of the college bias that is showing right now.  If he played for your tide, he'd be the greatest thing since sliced bread. 

Do you know for a fact Philly isnt looking to resign him?  They thought highly enough to trade him for a 3rd round pick.  That's a high pick for someone they dont think is good.  And if I'm not mistaken, the only WR they have under contract dropped an easy pass to knock them out of the playoffs shortly after Tate caught the go ahead score.  

But laugh on...

20 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

Sam's the guy going into 2019, but as of now he's the only QB on the roster. They need  backup and there are few options out there.

He might have been a good presence at Sam's side but it feels like McCown is done.

Davis Webb is an option, but will Gase find him a good fit in his offense or alternative if (knock on wood) Sam get's hurt?

My biggest bet is that Brock Osweiler winds up on the team. He's been under Gase's offensive system for three years out of his career and was with him in Miami last year. He'd bring a good amount of experience to the QB room and though he's proven he isn't a franchise QB I think he has a certain level of upside as a relief QB off the bench. It makes sense.

There are other options like Tyrod Taylor and the usual list of castoffs, Cassel, Weeden, Josh Johnson, etc. Given that our QB is a 22 year old and the team has other needs it feels like drafting a QB isn't gonna happen, so what do you all think will happen at QB2? (or QB3?)

Peyton. God. Damn. Manning.

If Osweiler comes cheap, sign him as the backup QB. 

If Webb can be a future trade asset or can develop into a viable backup, sign him as the 3rd QB.

If Webb has no future, draft a late round developmental prospect: Tyree Jackson, Gardner Minshew.  This should be the last resort as it would cost a draft pick.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

He wont cost that.  He's never made near that in his career.  That was a # that Pacturd threw out and I used it against him to laugh at how much he thinks Tannehill will cost and how he'd be willing to spend stupid money on a back up vs. surround Sam with the best possible available talent.  

If you think a guy who is 1 year removed from having 5 straight years of 90+ receptions is over hyped than I think you should let go of the college bias that is showing right now.  If he played for your tide, he'd be the greatest thing since sliced bread. 

Do you know for a fact Philly isnt looking to resign him?  They thought highly enough to trade him for a 3rd round pick.  That's a high pick for someone they dont think is good.  And if I'm not mistaken, the only WR they have under contract dropped an easy pass to knock them out of the playoffs shortly after Tate caught the go ahead score.  

But laugh on...

You're so confused..  let me make it easy for you.

Neither Tate nor Tanehill SHOULD make over 10 Mil next year.

Some idiot team might give Tate 10 mill but it won't be us.  

Tannehill should slide into very good backup money which is 5 to 7 mil.

What is so hard to understand?

40 minutes ago, Pac said:

Because you're wrong? 

52 minutes ago, Pac said:

We just paid friggin mccown 10 million last year did we not.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

But laugh on...

His college has nothing to do with it. He under performed with Philly. Outside of his 7-85-1 game against the Skins he never topped 48 yds in any game. He averaged 3.7 CPG with Philly vs 6.4 with Detroit. I can easily see Philly letting him walk .

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

We just paid friggin mccown 10 million last year did we not.

Quincy Enunwa in 4 years of the NFL has caught 118 passes, when healthy.  He just signed for roughly 10 mil a year. 

Golden Tate during that time from has caught 347 passes but he's not worth 10 mil.

#Paclogic 

22 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

His college has nothing to do with it. He under performed with Philly. Outside of his 7-85-1 game against the Skins he never topped 48 yds in any game. He averaged 3.7 CPG with Philly vs 6.4 with Detroit. I can easily see Philly letting him walk .

It was a new team, new offense, 2 new QB's, etc he joined them mid season.  When he was with a QB familiar that knew him in Det. He had multiple games over 100 yards and over your 48.  He had 44 receptions and 3 TD's in 7 games before being traded.  Did he forget how to play when he got to Philly in the same year or maybe they used him different/he was learning a new system and getting used to a QB on the fly?  

Philly gave a 3rd round pick for him.  They clearly valued his skill set.  

He'd be the best WR on the team instantly and give Sam a much needed consistent target. 

48 minutes ago, JiF said:

Quincy Enunwa in 4 years of the NFL has caught 118 passes, when healthy.  He just signed for roughly 10 mil a year. 

Golden Tate during that time from has caught 347 passes but he's not worth 10 mil.

#Paclogic 

Coincidentally enough, Quincy's contract will be pretty much what Tate gets when all is said and done.  And it won't be from us. 

I mean you're just playing stupid, right?   26 year olds entering their prime get bigger contracts than 31 year old (when next season starts) overrated JAG's.  Teams don't pay for past production. 

The only reason he'll get as much as he will is because it's a particularly weak FA class for WR's and he can point to his paper tiger stats when the Lions refused to establish the run and used him to supplement the run game.

23 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Wish Josh McCowan would come back at a lower/manageable salary.

I am tired of Josh.  He showed last season that he is incapable of winning a game.  He was not even close.  I think a backup should be capable of winning a game.  I think people who want him back are the same people who think many of our guys are worthy backups, guys like Elijah McGuire or Daryl Roberts or Charone Peake.  Or basically any offensive lineman we have.  If our front line talent was not any good, how could our backups be any good?

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Coincidentally enough, Quincy's contract will be pretty much what Tate gets when all is said and done.  And it won't be from us. 

I mean you're just playing stupid, right?   26 year olds entering their prime get bigger contracts than 31 year old (when next season starts) overrated JAG's.  Teams don't pay for past production. 

The only reason he'll get as much as he will is because it's a particularly weak FA class for WR's and he can point to his paper tiger stats when the Lions refused to establish the run and used him to supplement the run game.

At this point the only reason I want to sign Tate is to watch you defend the signing once it happens. 

Archived