Flacco to the Broncos

rayzor

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think the Ravens are crazy. I don't think Lamar Jackson is a starter in the NFL for long.

He may not be, but Flacco hasn't been a quality NFL QB for a number of years. They could bring in Case keenum and get the same garbage production. Flacco is just a name that had a good run one year to win the SB. He's been trash the last few years. 

The Broncos are now spending the most money in the league at the QB position.  Keenum carries a $21M cap hit in 2019 while Flacco costs $26.5M against the cap, for a grand total of $47.5M, or 24 % of the total cap. 

It seems unlikely Keenum will be cut, either.  He carries a $10M Dead Cap hit if cut at any point in the offseason.  Though if they cut him after June 1, that hit would be spread out over 2 seasons, and they'd save $11M in cap space.  I imagine they'll try to flip him in a trade elsewhere, but I can't see any team spending a draft pick and that kind of coin on a journeyman. 

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

I think the Ravens are crazy. I don't think Lamar Jackson is a starter in the NFL for long.

Time will tell if that is the case or not, but Flacco has been pretty mediocre for the past 5 years (I can argue he's been mediocre his whole career outside of that Super Bowl playoff run 6 years ago).

It's been time for Baltimore to move on from Flacco for a while now

2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

They have Keenum still at 18M.  10M guaranteed.  Flacco's contract is 18.5M, 16M guaranteed.  They will have to cut Keenum?  Elway is on shaky ground for sure.

Maybe they will be sending Keenum back to Denver? Keenum is only on the books for 2019. Flacco is on the books for 19/20 and I think 21. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Maybe they will be sending Keenum back to Denver? Keenum is only on the books for 2019. Flacco is on the books for 19/20 and I think 21. 

I'm sure it would have been stated in the report if Keenum was going to Baltimore. 

The Ravens currently only have $22M in cap space, while the Broncos have $37.3M.  So it would make some sense to both sides to move them for each other.  But I doubt it.

1 minute ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Flacco not guaranteed any of his years I don’t think.  They can still draft a youngster

No more guaranteed money in the Flacco contract (although as a vet I'm pretty sure the base salaries become guaranteed if he's on the roster on week 1):

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/joe-flacco-4000/

19 - base salary $18.5

20 - base salary $20.25

21 - base salary $24.25

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Broncos are now spending the most money in the league at the QB position.  Keenum carries a $21M cap hit in 2019 while Flacco costs $26.5M against the cap, for a grand total of $47.5M, or 24 % of the total cap. 

It seems unlikely Keenum will be cut, either.  He carries a $10M Dead Cap hit if cut at any point in the offseason.  Though if they cut him after June 1, that hit would be spread out over 2 seasons, and they'd save $11M in cap space.  I imagine they'll try to flip him in a trade elsewhere, but I can't see any team spending a draft pick and that kind of coin on a journeyman. 

I think it's a lock that Keenum is cut. Now way they can carry both of them.

For anyone to take his contract in a trade you'd have to pay them assets, too.

Yeah, this is definitely odd.  I'm with others here in that, while the Broncos QB situation obviously isn't a particularly good one, at this point on the downside of Flacco's career, is he really all that much better than Keenum to justify both the trade capital and substantially more money it will cost with having to account for Flacco's salary and, at the bare minimum, Keenum's guarantees?

The only thing I could possibly guess is that they think the rest of their team is good enough to win now, and are convinced they simply need to get as much out of Flacco as they did the 2015 Manning/Osweiler combo to do it all again.  Otherwise, what good do they think this will really do them?

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, this is definitely odd.  I'm with others here in that, while the Broncos QB situation obviously isn't a particularly good one, at this point on the downside of Flacco's career, is he really all that much better than Keenum to justify both the trade capital and substantially more money it will cost with having to account for Flacco's salary and, at the bare minimum, Keenum's guarantees?

The only thing I could possibly guess is that they think the rest of their team is good enough to win now, and are convinced they simply need to get as much out of Flacco as they did the 2015 Manning/Osweiler combo to do it all again.  Otherwise, what good do they think this will really do them?

this is what happens when you don't trade up to get darnold last year.  the jets have been chasing vet qbs between sanchez and darnold

2 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Flacco not guaranteed any of his years I don’t think.  They can still draft a youngster

Depending on what they gave up for Flacco, I could DEFINITELY see them still in the market for a QB, especially if they are trading Keenum back to the Ravens.

Every team that drafted a QB at the top of the 1st round last year brought in a veteran QB (Tyrod Taylor/Mccown/Bradford/McCarron). The only thing that separates the Broncos is if they still have Keenum under contract and Elway's desperation. 

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

Elway probably thinks the Broncos can harness the same Flacco that orchestrated that huge comeback win (38-35) over Denver in the playoffs (Jan 12, 2013) on the way to winning the Ravens the Lombardi. 

19 minutes ago, rayzor said:

There goes one potential trade partner in the draft.

The Broncos should still be in the market round 1 for a QB. They’d be dumb not to be. Then again, the difference between Flacco and Keenum in negligible. I have no idea what either team is doing at QB, but I’m glad they’re both in the AFC. 

13 minutes ago, rayzor said:

They have Keenum still at 18M.  10M guaranteed.  Flacco's contract is 18.5M, 16M guaranteed.  Will they  cut Keenum?  Elway is on shaky ground for sure.

Elway rode Manning to a SB so he does get some credit but if you take away Manning he has been a shaky GM at best!

2 minutes ago, DLJ said:

Keenum is only guaranteed 7 million this year so that shouldn’t be an issue I don’t think.

Flacco was only worth a 4th? Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I'm not surprised about the value.  I think BAL actually got a good deal.  Flacco has never been a top-10 QB in the league and now is probably a bit below average.  But he has a big arm and I think Elway is wrongly enamored of that.  I wouldn't think of Flacco as a long-term answer so they may still draft a QB, but probably not in the 1st round.  

Not sure if Jackson is BAL's answer either, but moving on from Flacco was the right move.

27 minutes ago, rayzor said:

There goes one potential trade partner in the draft.

Dude, I hope you weren't expecting all of the QB needy teams to just sit back and wait to trade with us, lol.

I'd expect most of the QB needy teams to trade for or sign someone well before the draft.  Then they may (or may not) trade up in this draft for the prospects available, which reportedly are quite meh mostly.  

I wouldn't start getting my hopes up (or disappointed) till the draft actually gets here.  Many, many pieces are going to move before then.

8 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I agree with your analysis here but...

As far as Elway goes IMO this is another example of a GM fighting the last battle. 

Flacco isn't close to Manning.  He is not half the QB Manning was even in Manning's last year because Manning was the smartest QB in the game and Flacco couldn't even beat out Lamar Jackson!  He is a dumb arrogant QB and hence will not be able to magically turn it around just cause he is in Denver.

Think he lost his spot to Jackson, a guy who certainly isn't ready to start on 97% of the teams in the NFL!

Archived