Flacco to the Broncos

rayzor

24 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

RGIII had sticks for legs, and never looked to get down or OB. Jackson has played this way his whole life and hasn't ever been hurt. With the new rules protecting QBs, we have to start looking at these mobile guys differently then we did even 3,4 years ago. He certainly needs to improve his accuracy, but so do Darnold, Allen and Rosen. None of them looked like Montana last year, and if Darnold didn't get that month break to heal and "clear his head" he was well on his way to setting the rookie INT record. Or as  nico liked to say "lead rookie QBs in punting".

Back to Jackson, I heard something during a late season Ravens game that has stuck with me. The lead announcer said something about how well Jackson was playing, and the analyst, (I can't remember who) said "Yes, he's playing great, and he's doing it in an offense built for Flacco. Sure they've added packages for Jackson, but next year they will be all in on him. They'll revamp the playbook entirely, and bring in players who suit the new offense better." That fascinated me, and even though I've always hated the Ravens/Ray Lewis, I'll be interested to watch it play out if that turns out to be their plan.

Jackson doesn't look to get down either. As for him never being injured, in the words of Neil Young "Comes a Time". The argument with Darnold and the  "rookie interception record", reminds me a little of the "grassy knoll theory" in Dallas.  He threw some interceptions early in the season trying to force the ball into tight windows, with inadequate pass protection, and receivers who couldn't separate from defenders. You, as a football observer, can tell the difference between the interceptions Sam threw, as compared to those of Allen and Jackson, throwing the ball "all over the field".  When Sam steps into his throws, with any time at all, he throws a very accurate, catchable ball.  I don't see that same command with Jackson.  In fact, to this point in time, he is much "greener" than Sam despite playing one more year of college ball, and the fact that Sam is new  to the quarterback position.  Those announcers that were  "raving for the Raven"  happened to be from Baltimore weren't they?  Thought so.  In my opinion he has a lower ceiling than "Tex Watson". I don't hate the Ravens as much as I used to either.  I like Jim Harbaugh, wanted him to " shake loose", so he could be our coach, and they're a lot more likeable since Ray Lewis doesn't work there anymore.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Jackson doesn't look to get down either. As for him never being injured, in the words of Neil Young "Comes a Time". The argument with Darnold and the  "rookie interception record", reminds me a little of the "grassy knoll theory" in Dallas.  He threw some interceptions early in the season trying to force the ball into tight windows, with inadequate pass protection, and receivers who couldn't separate from defenders. You, as a football observer, can tell the difference between the interceptions Sam threw, as compared to those of Allen and Jackson, throwing the ball "all over the field".  When Sam steps into his throws, with any time at all, he throws a very accurate, catchable ball.  I don't see that same command with Jackson.  In fact, to this point in time, he is much "greener" than Sam despite playing one more year of college ball, and the fact that Sam is new  to the quarterback position.  Those announcers that were  "raving for the Raven"  happened to be from Baltimore weren't they?  Thought so.  In my opinion he has a lower ceiling than "Tex Watson". I don't hate the Ravens as much as I used to either.  I like Jim Harbaugh, wanted him to " shake loose", so he could be our coach, and they're a lot more likeable since Ray Lewis doesn't work there anymore.

No doubt Sam is a better passer then Jackson. Heck almost everyone is, LOL. My point was, none of these QBs have really shown to be a finished product yet. They shouldn't be expected to have though.

The injury thing is open for debate, but to be honest I'd say you're making the smart bet by saying his style is a dangerous one. My only comeback is we have to see how this movie ends. Some guys are just injury prone, some are unlucky and a freak injury occurs, and some are blessed to avoid any major mishap.  There is a luck factor of course, but some just know how and when to tempt fate.

Finally, to the announcer thing, I never have listened to any Baltimore local announcers call any sport, so no that wasn't it. As I said earlier, I'm not sure which game it was, but I think it was the Ravens-Browns game the final week of the season. We don't get either of those teams very often down here, but we did get that game. I don't recall the announcers, but it would've been one of CBS' better teams as that was probably a national game.

12 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The Broncos should still be in the market round 1 for a QB. They’d be dumb not to be. Then again, the difference between Flacco and Keenum in negligible. I have no idea what either team is doing at QB, but I’m glad they’re both in the AFC. 

About five inches

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

both!  One has a strong arm and one throws lollipops.  But they have the same performance numbers.  

6 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

About five inches

The difference in QB numbers as I stated in a future post. There are obvious physical differences but I meant results as a QB guys. Come on. 

20 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He has sprinkled in an occasional good pick, but overall Elway is ridiculously overrated.

He arrived in 2011, and 4 years later built a team that won a Super Bowl.  Period.  We'd be worshiping the guy if he did that here.

Overrated?  Whatever.  I'd love to have a VP who is "overrated" instead of merely terrible at his job.  Our current GM won 2015 Exec of the year, so he was overrated from the start. 

And no, I'm not trying to prop up Elway because our GM sucks.  I'm just saying its pretty humorous for Jets fans to be ripping Elway at this point.  He's making questionable decisions with veteran QB's, but has done just about everything else well in Denver.

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He arrived in 2011, and 4 years later built a team that won a Super Bowl.  Period.  We'd be worshiping the guy if he did that here.

Overrated?  Whatever.  I'd love to have a VP who is "overrated" instead of merely terrible at his job.  Our current GM won 2015 Exec of the year, so he was overrated from the start. 

And no, I'm not trying to prop up Elway because our GM sucks.  I'm just saying its pretty humorous for Jets fans to be ripping Elway at this point.  He's making questionable decisions with veteran QB's, but has done just about everything else well in Denver.

If he has done everything else so well, why is their roster so bad?  And has been for a few years.  

7 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If he has done everything else so well, why is their roster so bad?  And has been for a few years.  

For 2 years.  They went 9-7 the year after winning the Super Bowl. 

I think he can be forgiven for that after building a powerhouse over a 5-year period, winning 5 division titles in a row (including one with Tim Tebow at QB), getting to 2 Super Bowls and winning 1.

You're asking a whole lot to expect that kind of consistency every single season.  No franchise outside of the cheating Patriots does that. 

12 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The difference in QB numbers as I stated in a future post. There are obvious physical differences but I meant results as a QB guys. Come on. 

List of quarterbacks drafted or signed by Elway since he became the GM (excluding Flacco, as well as Christian Ponder, who was signed as the third string quarterback but only stuck around for about a month before being released)

Peyton Manning: 6'5" (free agent acquisition)

Brock Osweiler: 6'7" (57th pick in the 2012 draft)

Trevor Siemian: 6'3" (250th pick in the 2015 draft)

Paxton Lynch: 6'7" (26th pick in the 2016 draft)

Chad Kelly: 6'2" (253rd pick in the 2017 draft)

Zac Dysert: 6'3" (234th pick in the 2013 draft)

Ryan Katz: 6'1" (undrafted free agent signed in 2013)

Bryn Renner: 6'3" (undrafted free agent signed in 2014)

Case Keenum: 6'1" (free agent acquisition)

Keenum sticks out like a sore thumb because the Broncos gave him a very lucrative contract off the basis of his one solid year with Minnesota. Otherwise, Elway prefers to spend big (either draft capital or salary) on tall quarterbacks who are statues in the pocket but have cannon arms. He'll then spend as little as possible on smaller guys (either seventh round picks or UDFAs).

Trading for Flacco (6'6") is Elway returning to type.

You're absolutely right that Keenum and Flacco are about a wash in terms of production. In actual fact, Flacco was worse last season when compared to Keenum, but Flacco is five inches taller than Keenum and in Elway's mind, that makes all the difference.

I rag on Maccagnan for wasting a second round pick on Hackenberg, but on another forum I traded up to take Paxton Lynch in a mock draft for the Jets. Lynch managed to play four games for the Broncos before Elway cut him, but it's clear that he's just not good at being a quarterback (and the Broncos got less out of Lynch than the Raiders got out of JaMarcus Russell).

1 hour ago, Aussie Jet said:

List of quarterbacks drafted or signed by Elway since he became the GM (excluding Flacco, as well as Christian Ponder, who was signed as the third string quarterback but only stuck around for about a month before being released)

Peyton Manning: 6'5" (free agent acquisition)

Brock Osweiler: 6'7" (57th pick in the 2012 draft)

Trevor Siemian: 6'3" (250th pick in the 2015 draft)

Paxton Lynch: 6'7" (26th pick in the 2016 draft)

Chad Kelly: 6'2" (253rd pick in the 2017 draft)

Zac Dysert: 6'3" (234th pick in the 2013 draft)

Ryan Katz: 6'1" (undrafted free agent signed in 2013)

Bryn Renner: 6'3" (undrafted free agent signed in 2014)

Case Keenum: 6'1" (free agent acquisition)

Keenum sticks out like a sore thumb because the Broncos gave him a very lucrative contract off the basis of his one solid year with Minnesota. Otherwise, Elway prefers to spend big (either draft capital or salary) on tall quarterbacks who are statues in the pocket but have cannon arms. He'll then spend as little as possible on smaller guys (either seventh round picks or UDFAs).

Trading for Flacco (6'6") is Elway returning to type.

You're absolutely right that Keenum and Flacco are about a wash in terms of production. In actual fact, Flacco was worse last season when compared to Keenum, but Flacco is five inches taller than Keenum and in Elway's mind, that makes all the difference.

I rag on Maccagnan for wasting a second round pick on Hackenberg, but on another forum I traded up to take Paxton Lynch in a mock draft for the Jets. Lynch managed to play four games for the Broncos before Elway cut him, but it's clear that he's just not good at being a quarterback (and the Broncos got less out of Lynch than the Raiders got out of JaMarcus Russell).

Apparently Elway was under the misconception that he was looking for a small forward and not a quarterback.  Good post.

Archived