Flacco to the Broncos

rayzor

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think the Ravens are crazy. I don't think Lamar Jackson is a starter in the NFL for long.

Been saying this since around this time last year before he was even drafted. Try telling this to a Ravens fan. They are convinced and I don’t see how. very gimmicky style of play, easy for a NFL defense to adapt and not realistically sustainable in the long term.

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Been saying this since around this time last year before he was even drafted. Try telling this to a Ravens fan. They are convinced and I don’t see how. very gimmicky style of play, easy to for an NFL defense adapt to and not realistically sustainable in the long term.

yup - he also doesn't protect himself. If I could put money on him missing games to injury this season I would. Everyone is going to go to school on the Chargers game tape and bottle this guy up real quick.

17 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Flacco will end his career in beautiful country, better than Baltimore.  There is that for him.

Baltimore borders of Detriot-like when it comes to city decay and ruin.

Taking an Amtrak through that town is just deeply sad and depressing.  Half the city looks like a bomb fell on it.

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Elway rode Manning to a SB so he does get some credit but if you take away Manning he has been a shaky GM at best!

Before Manning arrived, Elway's Broncos won a division title with Tim Tebow as the starting QB. 

He also has drafted the following:

• Von Miller (2011 # 2 overall pick -- future HOFer)
  • OLB Danny Trevathan (2012 6th round pick)
  • DE Bradley Chubb (2018 1st rounder -- 12 Sacks as rookie)
  • DT Malik Jackson (2012 5th rounder -- 2017 Pro Bowler)
  • OL Michael Schofield (2014 3rd rounder)
  • TE Julius Thomas (2011 4th rounder)
  • TE Virgil Green (2011 7th rounder)
  • OL Connor McGovern (2016 5th rounder)

And, along with the Manning pickup, signed the following:

• OLB DeMarcus Ware (2014 -- 2x Pro Bowler, 21.5 sacks in 3 seasons with team)
  • CB Aqib Talib (2014 -- 4x Pro Bowler, 11 INT, 48 PD's in 4 seasons with team)
  • WR Emmanuel Sanders (2014 -- 2x Pro Bowler thru 5 seasons)
  • S T.J. Ward (2014 -- 1x Pro Bowler, 3 INT, 19 PD's, 5 FF, 5 Sacks, 11 TFL in 3 seasons)
  • S Darian Stewart (2015 -- 1x Pro Bowler, 9 INT, 24 PD's, 2 FF, 8 TFL in 4 seasons, current starter)
  • RB Willis McGahee (2011 -- 4.8 and 4.4 ypc with 8 TD's in 2 seasons)

That 2014 offseason spending spree was something else.  Ware, Talib, Sanders and TJ Ward.  All hits.  All directly led to the Broncos winning the Super Bowl in 2015 with a broken down Peyton.

Maccagnan should take notes on how to handle an offseason with a lot of cap space.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Before Manning arrived, Elway's Broncos won a division title with Tim Tebow as the starting QB. 

• S T.J. Ward (2014 -- 1x Pro Bowler, 3 INT, 19 PD's, 5 FF, 5 Sacks, 11 TFL in 3 seasons)
  • S Darian Stewart (2015 -- 1x Pro Bowler, 9 INT, 24 PD's, 2 FF, 8 TFL in 4 seasons, current starter)

That 2014 offseason spending spree was something else.  Ware, Talib, Sanders and TJ Ward.  All hits.  All directly led to the Broncos winning the Super Bowl in 2015 with a broken down Peyton.

Maccagnan should take notes on how to handle an offseason with a lot of cap space.

It's easy to sign attractive free agents when you're in win now mode with Peyton f'n Manning at QB. Any veteran is gonna hitch on to that ride. And also your FA signings are gonna look like success again....when Manning is QB. 

How's he done since? He's struggling to stay afloat just like any other GM trying to find an answer at QB.

31 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Elway rode Manning to a SB so he does get some credit but if you take away Manning he has been a shaky GM at best!

He's been awful at drafting/evaluating QB talent (ironically), but he has been pretty good otherwise. This past year he scooped up Sutton/Hamilton/Lindsay/Chubb and a couple of others. 

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

It's easy to sign attractive free agents when you're in win now mode with Peyton f'n Manning at QB. Any veteran is gonna hitch on to that ride. And also your FA signings are gonna look like success again....when Manning is QB. 

Manning was a broken down shell of himself in 2015.  What are you talking about?  He was the # 36 QB in the league based on DVOA that year, worse than Matt friggin Cassel and Johnny Manziel.  The defense Elway had built carried his a$$ to the title. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy they did; I wanted Peyton to get his 2nd ring any way he can get it, because I still firmly believe Peyton >>> Brady.  But he sucked that year, no doubt about it.  Peyton didn't make those FA's look good that year.  They made HIM look good.

I can understand FA's finding that destination attractive because of Peyton's presence.  After all, Peyton was a top 5 QB in 2014.  But going 4/4 on your signings is impressive.  Period.  And attracting FA's on that level that was only possible because he'd already laid a foundation on defense led by Von Miller.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I agree, Elways has generally been pretty good.......other than finding a QB.  Oddly, so far, that seems his weak point.  Surprises me tbqh.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I agree, Elways has generally been pretty good.......other than finding a QB.  Oddly, so far, that seems his weak point.  Surprises me tbqh. 

I think he relies too heavily on "safe" veterans.  After being burned on Paxton Lynch, I imagine he simply hasn't been too keen on reentering the QB market via the draft ever since.  But that's a short-sighted plan. 

The Chiefs had the same problem for decades.  After taking Todd Blackledge in that great '83 QB draft, they didn't take a homegrown guy in the early rounds for years and years.  Between '83 and the Pat Mahomes years, they only took QB's three times in the first three rounds (Croyle - 3rd round in 2006; Matt Blundin and Mike Elkins - 2nd round in 1992 and 1989, respectively). 

In the interim, the Chiefs opted for veterans of varying effectiveness:  Steve DeBerg, Dave Krieg, Joe Montana, Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac, Rich Gannon, Warren Moon, Trent Green, Matt Cassel, Alex Smith.

54 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think the Ravens are crazy. I don't think Lamar Jackson is a starter in the NFL for long.

He only won a bunch of games this year without a full offseason of being tutored as the starter...

but yea sure. Say hi to 1995 for me. 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

He only won a bunch of games this year without a full offseason of being tutored as the starter...

but yea sure. Say hi to 1995 for me. 

NFL defensive coordinators are going to chew him up and spit him out. Watch what they do with a can of film and a full off season. Dude doesn't even protect his body - he'll be lucky to walk off the field on his own.

9 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Ha - same dude.

However, Keenum has a water pistol arm and Flacco has a cannon.  I wonder how much that factors in at a place like Mile High?   I think this is accurate but this is the first season Keenum has played on a team in an outdoor stadium.   HUGE difference playing a doom vs. a place like Mile High.  Might not be a coincidence he regressed outdoors. 

Maybe similar on paper but one guys game is a little better suited for the climate. 

11 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

yup - he also doesn't protect himself. If I could put money on him missing games to injury this season I would. Everyone is going to go to school on the Chargers game tape and bottle this guy up real quick.

I'm assuming you're talking about Lamar Jackson, who turned Baltimore's season around once he got a chance to play midway through the season? LOL for using the Chargers game where he came off the mat and played a great 4th quarter to almost pull off the huge upset. If that's the plan other teams will look atto beat them, Jackson and the Ravens will be just fine. They obviously adjusted and succeeded against it before the game ended

What a strange fan base Jets fans are. We take every opportunity to knock Mayfield, Rosen, Allen and Jackson's rookie seasons and the teams that picked them. We wonder how long they'll survive in the league while we collectively thank the football gods for allowing Darnold to fall into our laps. We give him every benefit of the doubt, and are convinced he'll be a superstar FQB while they flop.

Just now, 14 in Green said:

I'm assuming you're talking about Lamar Jackson, who turned Baltimore's season around once he got a chance to play midway through the season? LOL for using the Chargers game where he came off the mat and played a great 4th quarter to almost pull off the huge upset. If that's the plan other teams will look atto beat them, Jackson and the Ravens will be just fine. They obviously adjusted and succeeded against it before the game ended

What a strange fan base Jets fans are. We take every opportunity to knock Mayfield, Rosen, Allen and Jackson's rookie seasons and the teams that picked them. We wonder how long they'll survive in the league while we collectively thank the football gods for allowing Darnold to fall into our laps. We give him every benefit of the doubt, and are convinced he'll be a superstar FQB while they flop.

I have never knocked Mayfield - he's a beast. Never said a word about Rosen. Allen looks like trash so I probably did comment on him.

Your assumption that I knock Jackson because he was drafted in the same draft as Darnold is wrong. Don't lump me in with whoever does that. I just don't think the kid is going to be a successful NFL QB. He was completely smothered by the Chargers in the playoffs - he did well in garbage time when they were just milking the clock and getting ready for the next round. I don't believe his style of play is sustainable and I don't think he'll stay healthy.

He could prove me wrong but I don't see him having much success this season.

BAL is really rolling the dice with Jackson as their #1 QB.  DC's are going to go to school on his
tendencies in the off-season, he better correct his issues quick.  The first time a team saw him
twice (LAC playoffs) it wasn't pretty

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

NFL defensive coordinators are going to chew him up and spit him out. Watch what they do with a can of film and a full off season. Dude doesn't even protect his body - he'll be lucky to walk off the field on his own.

who got hurt last year, Darnold or Jackson?  

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I tend to agree.  Running QB's have a VERY short shelf-life at the NFL level.

Once they get film on a guy, and that guy takes a few hits, if he isn't a legit passer......he won't last long.

Nice to see the Ravens be confident in him and give him a chance, but it'll be interesting to see how the league adapts next year when playing him.  

Is he RGIII or is he Mike Vick?  Only time will tell.

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Most of those draft picks you list either aren't good, don't play for Denver any more or both.  That's not something to hang his hat on, that he had Von Miller fall in his lap and has drafted a slew of fairly average guys that he couldn't retain because his roster construction is awful.  He has sprinkled in an occasional good pick, but overall Elway is ridiculously overrated.

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I have never knocked Mayfield - he's a beast. Never said a word about Rosen. Allen looks like trash so I probably did comment on him.

Your assumption that I knock Jackson because he was drafted in the same draft as Darnold is wrong. Don't lump me in with whoever does that. I just don't think the kid is going to be a successful NFL QB. He was completely smothered by the Chargers in the playoffs - he did well in garbage time when they were just milking the clock and getting ready for the next round. I don't believe his style of play is sustainable and I don't think he'll stay healthy.

He could prove me wrong but I don't see him having much success this season.

I was talking about the fan base in general, not you specifically. You're certainly entitled to your opinion on Jackson. A lot of people feel the same way, I was just trying to defend him.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

this is what happens when you don't trade up to get darnold last year.  the jets have been chasing vet qbs between sanchez and darnold

This is a mini-version of what the Jets did in 2016.  

They are trying to salvage a decent season while they have Von Miller and others.  I don't think it ends well.

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This is anecdotal. Every football player runs the risk of getting injured on every play. Jackson puts himself more at risk with his style of play and he's on the smaller side. A guy like Cam Newton or Big Ben can get away with more of that.

I'm not looking to zero in on you here, believe me, I value your opinion. You make a fair point about him putting himself at risk. What I'm wondering though is how much less those risks are today as opposed to even a year or two ago? Between the sliding rule, blow to the head penalty, and other rules put in place to protect QBs, maybe the mobile, Jackson type player can have a long career? One thing is for sure though, he has to improve throwing the football eventually or this will be a moot point. 

20 minutes ago, varjet said:

This is a mini-version of what the Jets did in 2016.  

They are trying to salvage a decent season while they have Von Miller and others.  I don't think it ends well.

I agree.

When the Jets resigned Fitz, at least they had won 10 games in 2015, and therefore, had some (false) hope that they were a win-now team. 

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I have no issue not going for a QB in this year's draft class because I think this QB class is highly questionable, but I don't understand bringing in a guy like Flacco. 

Archived