Jump to content

Crowell Expected to be Released after the Jets sign a new RB in FA


choon328

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't make much sense.  He's only a $5M cap hit, and we only save $3M by cutting him ($4M if we wait until after June 1).  The only reason to let him go would be if we get a significant upgrade at the position. 

Why not at least try to float him in a trade offer somewhere?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Doesn't make much sense.  He's only a $5M cap hit, and we only save $3M by cutting him ($4M if we wait until after June 1).  The only reason to let him go would be if we get a significant upgrade at the position. 

Why not at least try to float him in a trade offer somewhere?

You just answered your own post.

Looks like a run at Bell is legitimately going to happen.  I'd look into signing Tevin Coleman, or someone else, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's not overreact here.  This is what happens in a rebuild.  Everyone yells about the lack of "talent" in the backfield and when the team responds to that issue, we go off the deep end.  Different day, different team.  Crowell was brought here to more or less be the feature back.  He wasn't that.  Wasn't even consistent, beyond the offensive line problems.  He was invisible in the second half of the season.  That, and he could not or did not want to keep rushers off the quarterback.  No big loss.  Let's move on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Let's not overreact here.  This is what happens in a rebuild.  Everyone yells about the lack of "talent" in the backfield and when the team responds to that issue, we go off the deep end.  Different day, different team.  Crowell was brought here to more or less be the feature back.  He wasn't that.  Wasn't even consistent, beyond the offensive line problems.  He was invisible in the second half of the season.  That, and he could not or did not want to keep rushers off the quarterback.  No big loss.  Let's move on.

 This is a ridiculous post. The rebuild started two years ago and the guy orchestrating it is the guy who signed Crowell last year to a multi-year deal. This, plain and simple, is a failure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

 This is a ridiculous post. The rebuild started two years ago and the guy orchestrating it is the guy who signed Crowell last year to a multi-year deal. This, plain and simple, is a failure.

Yup.

The team is saving a total of 3 million by doing this.   So, they should be able to sign a better player for those 3 million

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

So Spencer Long and Isiah Crowell, both signed to multi-year contracts both dumped after one season.

Why is Mac still employed again?

The contacts were structured in a way so that they were both basically given 1 year deals. There's no dead money for either player. The one thing Macc does well is structure contracts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Doesn't make much sense.  He's only a $5M cap hit, and we only save $3M by cutting him ($4M if we wait until after June 1).  The only reason to let him go would be if we get a significant upgrade at the position. 

Why not at least try to float him in a trade offer somewhere?

This may be floating him for that trade offer. Teams know he available.  IMO, the reasons for this are to let agents know we are seriously in the RB market for a top tier guy, Bell or Coleman.  It lets teams know we plan to dump Crowell, so maybe we can get some small trinket back.  These kind of stories were out there about Henry Anderson.  About Richardson and Kearse before they were dealt for each other.  Same with Demario Davis. Gase also might not like him.  He seems like a character concern and a bad way to enter a locker room. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Doesn't make much sense.  He's only a $5M cap hit, and we only save $3M by cutting him ($4M if we wait until after June 1).  The only reason to let him go would be if we get a significant upgrade at the position. 

Why not at least try to float him in a trade offer somewhere?

He's due a $2 million bonus on the 3rd day of the new season. If they release/trade him before that day there is no dead money. 

This leak is also intentionally done to let other teams know he's available to be traded. It's done all of the time in the NFL. If a trade is going to happen it has to happen quicky after the new season begins so the Jets will want to start negotiating with teams now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

So Spencer Long and Isiah Crowell, both signed to multi-year contracts both dumped after one season.

Why is Mac still employed again?

it is totally unreal that he is taking almost no heat from the media at all.  They are always he last to clue in on these type of things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, choon328 said:

 

good.  I don't like him at all.  He's inconsistent and sometimes a liability on the field.  And his off-the-field personality is that of a major azzhole.  His post showing a police officer bleeding out with a slit throat was enough for me.  My daughter's fiance is a NJ State Police Trooper and I take Crowell's disgusting post personally.  His wiping his arse gesture in the end zone was also horrible and not funny in the least.  

Goodbye Isaiah.  DOn't let the door hit your empty head on the way out.  And instead of wishing you luck elsewhere, as I would normally do, GFY and drop dead or both.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Yup.

The team is saving a total of 3 million by doing this.   So, they should be able to sign a better player for those 3 million

$3 million doesn't seem like a lot but if they can get something for him that would be nice plus that's about half of what it'll cost to sign the draft class. Every little bit helps. And I think they have a good idea Bell is coming here so there was no room for Crowell. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

So Spencer Long and Isiah Crowell, both signed to multi-year contracts both dumped after one season.

Why is Mac still employed again?

Because he understands the cap better than you and knows that sometimes it's worth taking a flier on players when they cost of cutting them is zero (or close to it). 

Spencer Long signing, where we can cut him with zero cap hit is a better signing that Nate Solder who was average yet they are stuck with him at 17 million cap hit whether they want to or not.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

He's "expected" to part ways.  It depends on Bell?  If Bell falls through, i'm ok with a Crowell/Coleman combo.

he is gone.  Gase is not dealing with him.  

This team will have a much different personality under Gase than Bowles.  It is a complete 180 degree turn.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

good.  I don't like him at all.  He's inconsistent and sometimes a liability on the field.  And his off-the-field personality is that of a major azzhole.  His post showing a police officer bleeding out with a slit throat was enough for me.  My daughter's fiance is a NJ State Police Trooper and I take Crowell's disgusting post personally.  His wiping his arse gesture in the end zone was also horrible and not funny in the least.  

Goodbye Isaiah.  DOn't let the door hit your empty head on the way out.  And instead of wishing you luck elsewhere, as I would normally do, GFY and drop dead or both.

This.  He is a guy I rooted for simply because of the jersey on his back.  He was thrown out of Georgia after a year.  And now I get to say goodbye to him after a season again.  He is just a bad guy and a mediocre, replaceable football player.  I will be very happy when he is no longer on a team I root for.  Good riddance. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

So Spencer Long and Isiah Crowell, both signed to multi-year contracts both dumped after one season.

Why is Mac still employed again?

It's absolutely stunning.  What a total failure in every single sense of the word.  If it werent for the Giants false hope in Eli Manning, this boob would have Jamal Adams to hang his hat on.  Worthless.

And people are excited about him having all this cap space?  Ugh.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Doesn't make much sense.  He's only a $5M cap hit, and we only save $3M by cutting him ($4M if we wait until after June 1).  The only reason to let him go would be if we get a significant upgrade at the position. 

Why not at least try to float him in a trade offer somewhere?

Because he's terrible?  Seriously.  Watching him run was painful.  I've never in my life see a player so incapable of producing an extra yard or create something out of nothing in my entire life.  One of the many that gave up on this team. What a turd.

I see this as a sign they're going to pursue a RB heavily. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

This.  He is a guy I rooted for simply because of the jersey on his back.  He was thrown out of Georgia after a year.  And now I get to say goodbye to him after a season again.  He is just a bad guy and a mediocre, replaceable football player.  I will be very happy when he is no longer on a team I root for.  Good riddance. 

 

Lucky he couldn't get into Wharton. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Because he understands the cap better than you and knows that sometimes it's worth taking a flier on players when they cost of cutting them is zero (or close to it). 

Spencer Long signing, where we can cut him with zero cap hit is a better signing that Nate Solder who was average yet they are stuck with him at 17 million cap hit whether they want to or not.   

Yes, it's actually a good strategy to continually waste money on players that have no long term future and keep a revolving door at certain positions. 

That, ladies and gentleman, is how you rebuild the Big Mac way baby!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The contacts were structured in a way so that they were both basically given 1 year deals. There's no dead money for either player. The one thing Macc does well is structure contracts. 

Agreed. It's still an example of a failed signing that demonstrates Mac isn't good at picking players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Because he understands the cap better than you and knows that sometimes it's worth taking a flier on players when they cost of cutting them is zero (or close to it). 

Spencer Long signing, where we can cut him with zero cap hit is a better signing that Nate Solder who was average yet they are stuck with him at 17 million cap hit whether they want to or not.   

Yes, the Nate Solder singing was idiotic. The analogous Mac signing would be Trumaine Johnson -- a disastrous overpay for a decent player.

Do I understand the cap now?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

Because he's terrible?  Seriously.  Watching him run was painful.  I've never in my life see a player so incapable of producing an extra yard or create something out of nothing in my entire life.  One of the many that gave up on this team. What a turd.

I see this as a sign they're going to pursue a RB heavily.  

Oh no doubt; he's as average as it gets, and thus is overpaid at that figure.  I just don't see the reason to be making that decision this early in the offseason. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He's due a $2 million bonus on the 3rd day of the new season. If they release/trade him before that day there is no dead money. 

This leak is also intentionally done to let other teams know he's available to be traded. It's done all of the time in the NFL. If a trade is going to happen it has to happen quicky after the new season begins so the Jets will want to start negotiating with teams now.

Thanks!  Makes sense.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funny that Jets fans still dont realize that the NFL is a Corporate entity run on image, politics, nepotism, and quid pro quo. Competence rarely factors into it. McCoffee got in Chris' ear and convinced him that all evils lay at the feet of Bowles and he bought it. Our only possible savior from this dolt is if Bowles had a LOT of influence over the draft and without Bowles the picks will be better but I doubt it. Something about our scouting criteria is off and has been for a very long time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...