Crowell Expected to be Released after the Jets sign a new RB in FA

choon328

Yay. So long you pedestrian plodder of a running back. 

Crowell had 685 yards on 143 rushing attempts, and six touchdowns, in 13 games played, at an average clip of 4.8 yards per carry. Also had 152 yards on 21 receptions for the season.

Not bad.

But when you subtract the 219 yards he had on 15 carries against the Broncos, he actually ended up having 466 yards on 128 carries for the season, at a pedestrian 3.6 yards per carry. 

Crowell only broke the 100 rushing yards in a game - week 1 against the Lions and week 5 against the Broncos. I sure enjoyed the 25 yards on 13 carries against the Bears in week 8.

Yes, some of this ineptitude is on Bates and Rick Dennison as the offensive coordinator and run game coordinator respectively, but it also reflects the fact that Crowell is a JAG and does not have the chops to be a lead running back in the league.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, choon328 said:

There is no dead money for Crowell. The $2 million bonus is a roster bonus, not the signing bonus. As long as they release or trade him prior to the 3rd day of the new season the Jets won't be on the hook for anything. Macc doesn't give out a lot of signing bonuses in general for this exact reason. He usually guarantees the first year and then has roster bonuses for the additional years. 

Sorry, but you are simply incorrect.

Paying that roster bonus in March would be an additional $2MM dead cap amount if he was then cut before the season (dead cap space would be $4MM, not $2MM).

• He was paid a $3MM signing bonus last year (in addition to $1MM base salary).
  • As it was a 3 year contract, only 1/3 of that $3MM SB hit the 2018 cap.
  • The remaining $2MM becomes "dead cap" money if he's released before paying that roster bonus.

That's why he was paid $4MM in 2018 but his cap hit that year was only $2MM. There aren't special Jets-only privileges where they get to pay a player $4MM, have just $2MM of it hit the cap that year, and then nothing thereafter.

If $4MM was paid to him, then $4MM must come off the cap(s). There is no way around it. The only thing then up in the air is if the $2MM all hits in 2019 or it's divided over 2019-2020 (they can choose to designate him as a post-6/1 cut to spread it if they wanted to), but $2M in dead cap is happening if/when they cut or trade him.

12 hours ago, JiF said:

The best way to rebuild is to give guys 1 year contracts and start all over again at that position next season.  The true definition of roster building right there.  

JoJo - hot take bro!!!

Except they werent one year deals. They were multi year deals that were easy to get out after one year if the player didnt shi they should stay

14 hours ago, choon328 said:

The contacts were structured in a way so that they were both basically given 1 year deals. There's no dead money for either player. The one thing Macc does well is structure contracts. 

Exactly, If they turned out to be great pick-ups we have them under reasonable deals for multiple years and if they didn’t work out we can bail with next to no consequences. I get that people want to find any stick to beat the organisation with but this is Good cap and contract management.

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Trading up to 3. Miss

Drafting Darnold. Miss. 

Jamal Adams. Miss. 

Herndon. Miss

Robby Anderson. Miss. 

Trading for Anderson. Miss. 

Unloading Sheldon Richardson for a 2nd/Kearse- Miss. 

Trading Calvin Pryor for Demario Davis. Miss. 

Leonard WIlliams. Miss

tons of cap space heading into this year. Miss. 

You want to rattle off a bunch of actual misses? Go ahead. There are PLENTY. But just because he has missed a bunch of times doesn't mean you can say he is wrong close to 100pct of the time. 

His trades have actually been hits more often than not. 

And he hasn't strapped this team with terrible contracts (even if you can find 1 or 2 bad ones). Many (not ALL) that haven't panned out weren't deals he couldn't easily get out of after a year. 

I don’t want to argue with you and you’re right 100% is somewhat of an exaggeration on my part, but not by much.  But I’ll still stick with his being the worst GM in the league, just look at the overall roster...right this second.

Actually trading up to 3 would have been a miss because he would have had to draft either Allen or Rosen.  Only a QB would have saved his job, and that’s what he cares about most.  The irony would have been that Barkley would have been hands down BPA at 3, and he would have thrown that bs philosophy he claims to have right out the window.

Darnold is going to be the best QB in the NFL, but it was pure LUCK he is a NY Jet.

Adams is outstanding, but unfortunately plays a non impact position.  If Maccagnan had guts he would have taken Mahomes at 6 and had 3 extra #2’s that could all have been used on say Oline.  I’m ecstatic that they lucked out with Darnold.  He is the only consolation prize I’d accept after the scared Safety pick at 6.  Maccagnan only moved on a QB after being totally backed into a corner.

Robby Anderson....outstanding talent to also go with us seeing him expanding his route tree, far from the 1 trick pony his critics claim.  He’s a 1,000 yard WR and deadliest deep ball threat in the league IF there is a QB that can get him the ball....there finally is one...Now.  I really hope they don’t mess up this tender thing and see someone steal him.

Herndon...he definitely hit that pick.  Looks like the first real TE the Jets have had in 30 years since Mickey Schuler....how pathetic is that?

Trade of Richardson....what exactly great did it materialize into?  A 2nd that he had to fork over in a trade since he was too scared to draft a QB at 6 the year before?  Also he got a WR who at this point could care less where his feet are when he catches a pass.

Leonard Williams....anchors the 26th ranked Defense.  If he wasn’t on the team you’d barely notice the difference.

Demario Davis...got 1 single good year out of him.

“Tons of Cap Space”...there is a reason there is “tons”, if you have very good players on many parts of roster, guess what, they cost lots of money.   Maccagnan has overwhelmingly FAILED to build a roster with those types of players.  They also had “tons of cap space” last year, what did it get them?  The best and most impactful players are virtually all re-signed by their respective teams.

Maccagnan supposedly had a scouting background, but at this point it is fair to say the guy is a woeful judge of talent.  That little list of yours isn’t very impressive over a 4 Year timeframe.

If he didn’t luck into Darnold there would be even more torches and pitchforks in the streets.

8 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Ummm...I'm no big Mac fan, but I'm pretty sure he couldn't predict that Crowell would wipe his ass with the football in CLE before he signed him.  IOW, Crowell is an idiot.

Personally, I would have held onto Long as an OG and backup OC.

But that's just me.

Being that a few years back he had a very controversial moment when he posted an image of a cop getting stabbed in the neck, you could have easily predicted he would do something extremely stupid again.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Being that a few years back he had a very controversial moment when he posted an image of a cop getting stabbed in the neck, you could have easily predicted he would do something extremely stupid again.

The image he posted goes far beyond stupidity.  It goes to a depravity and  lack of  moral compass, that is beyond me.  If the Jets knew about this before acquiring him, then he had no business being here in the first place.  What a sh*tbag. Funny how our crack staff of "team" reporters will publish gossip about the relations of the coaching staff, yet not issue a report on something of this nature. Political correctness at it's best.

4 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Exactly, If they turned out to be great pick-ups we have them under reasonable deals for multiple years and if they didn’t work out we can bail with next to no consequences. I get that people want to find any stick to beat the organisation with but this is Good cap and contract management.

The dead cap space is irrelevant here not because there isn't any dead space - your "exactly" is misguided because he's simply incorrect - but rather that the $2MM dead cap space is meaningless because the team didn't max out on its available space in 2018. 

Even this is not due to great management so much as either under-bidding for players he wanted or the team needed, or because a bunch of FAs simply turned him down. 

It's hardly any stroke of genius or shrewd planing. There wasn't some long line of teams just itching to sign Crowell, as though we got him with sneaky contract terms because college-scout-by-training Macc is more contract-savvy than Drew Rosenhaus, rofl. Simply, he offered Crowell more than any other team offered; that's basically how it goes. See, if no one else offered more than $3MM guaranteed and we then offered $4MM guaranteed, it doesn't make our FO the most forward-thinking. 

As others mentioned, if this was some outlier that didn't work out (factoring in all those he wanted but who wouldn't have worked out; only being saved by the players telling him to pound sand) then it'd be a big shoulder shrug. Rather, the problem is that Macc's newly minted veteran contracts that did work out great for the Jets -- those are the outliers. 

13 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

The image he posted goes far beyond stupidity.  It goes to a depravity and  lack of  moral compass, that is beyond me.  If the Jets knew about this before acquiring him, then he had no business being here in the first place.  What a sh*tbag. Funny how our crack staff of "team" reporters will publish gossip about the relations of the coaching staff, yet not issue a report on something of this nature. Political correctness at it's best.

Everyone knew he posted that.  It was all over the news when he did it.  

15 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Trading up to 3. Miss

Drafting Darnold. Miss. 

Jamal Adams. Miss. 

Herndon. Miss

Robby Anderson. Miss. 

Trading for Anderson. Miss. 

Unloading Sheldon Richardson for a 2nd/Kearse- Miss. 

Trading Calvin Pryor for Demario Davis. Miss. 

Leonard WIlliams. Miss

tons of cap space heading into this year. Miss. 

You want to rattle off a bunch of actual misses? Go ahead. There are PLENTY. But just because he has missed a bunch of times doesn't mean you can say he is wrong close to 100pct of the time. 

His trades have actually been hits more often than not. 

And he hasn't strapped this team with terrible contracts (even if you can find 1 or 2 bad ones). Many (not ALL) that haven't panned out weren't deals he couldn't easily get out of after a year. 

It's almost like Mac is good at his job!  Never mind the wins total, the roster depletion and the lack of talent across the board!  He did some good things once or twice! 

39 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Everyone knew he posted that.  It was all over the news when he did it.  

Never saw it. Never heard about it before either. My point was there was no mention of it when he was acquired by the Jets, no mention made by Jet's reporters.  Googled it, and all articles were from his time as a Browns player, nothing post Jets.  The only related article, in the New York Post, was one stating that "Blue Lives Matter" refused to partner with the Jets based on Crowell's post.  Good for them.

43 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Never saw it. Never heard about it before either. My point was there was no mention of it when he was acquired by the Jets, no mention made by Jet's reporters.  Googled it, and all articles were from his time as a Browns player, nothing post Jets.  The only related article, in the New York Post, was one stating that "Blue Lives Matter" refused to partner with the Jets based on Crowell's post.  Good for them.

It was very well known.  Not just Cleveland press but national news as well. Crowell is a poor excuse for a human being and has no moral integrity.  The Jets can't release him quick enough for me.  

Archived