Would the Jets need to give up a 2019 pick for OBJ or AB?

CTJetsFan

Glazer is predicting Giants will trade OBJ this off-season. We already know about the issues in Pitt with AB.

We know how badly we need a #1 WR but have too many hoIes to fill to give up picks this year.

Instead of giving up any draft assets (picks) in 2019, could the Jets offer to trade back from #3 with either Pitt or the NYG (maybe going all the way back to their 2nd round pick) and maybe throw in a 2020 pick.

According to the Draft Pick Value Chart, moving back to #20 (Pitt) equals about the #10 (2200-850 = 1350). Moving from 3 to 6 (NYG) equals a low first rounder (2200-1600 = 700). Going from #3 back to #37 (2nd round NYG) equals a high first round pick (2200-530 = 1,670).

What do you guys think?

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Paradis said:

Sorry, stopped reading when you mentioned two divas that i don't want anywhere near Sam right now.

This is his team, and those two self-involved pricks will make the entire show about them.

hell no

Fair point. I was thinking more from a talent perspective, but there is definitely baggage (and large salaries) coming with both

9 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Glazer is predicting Giants will trade OBJ this off-season. We already know about the issues in Pitt with AB.

We know how badly we need a #1 WR but have too many hoIes to fill to give up picks this year.

Instead of giving up any draft assets (picks) in 2019, could the Jets offer to trade back from #3 with either Pitt or the NYG (maybe going all the way back to their 2nd round pick) and maybe throw in a 2020 pick.

According to the Draft Pick Value Chart, moving back to #20 (Pitt) equals about the #10 (2200-850 = 1350). Moving from 3 to 6 (NYG) equals a low first rounder (2200-1600 = 700). Going from #3 back to #37 (2nd round NYG) equals a high first round pick (2200-530 = 1,670).

What do you guys think?

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Quite frankly, I'm not interested in either player.

Just now, CTJetsFan said:

Fair point. I was thinking more from a talent perspective, but there is definitely baggage (and large salaries) coming with both

I 100% agree with you that we need to find him that X receiver, no argument. In fact, it would be darn near the top of my list of priorities. Slightly above that, is giving Sam the opportunity to grow into the leader he will be.

Couple years from now, we could probably shoulder a personality like OBJ... but this doesn't' feel like the right time. 

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I 100% agree with you that we need to find him that X receiver, no argument. In fact, it would be darn near the top of my list of priorities. Slightly above that, is giving Sam the opportunity to grow into the leader he will be.

Couple years from now, we could probably shoulder a personality like OBJ... but this doesn't' feel like the right time. 

Slightly off-topic, but would you consider a similar move I proposed for AB to get Bell should Pitt tag him again? I wouldn't only because I value RBs differently, but just wondering your thoughts?

I don't want Brown on this team, he's great at football, but it almost seems like he's self destructing before our eyes.

OBJ on the other hand is a player the Giants would NEVER trade to us. If this were Bizzaro World and they offered him, I'd take him in a second. I'd swap 1st's this year and give them next years 2nd or 3rd to get it done. He's a diva, but he supports his QB, and only acts out in frustration when losing. To me he's worth the attention his "look at me" behavior brings.  

They are both bat-sh*t crazy, and I would never do that to Darnold, no matter how much I would like to get him an upgrade at WR.  As talented as they are, they've also been massive headaches to both Manning and Ben, despite they fact that they were older and more experienced/established with their teams when starting to deal with them than Darnold is now.  Bad, bad idea.

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

They are both bat-sh*t crazy, and I would never do that to Darnold, no matter how much I would like to get him an upgrade at WR.  As talented as they are, they've also been massive headaches to both Manning and Ben, despite they fact that they were older and more experienced/establish with the team than Darnold is when starting to deal with them.  Bad, bad idea.

I could live with Odell, if it didn't work out after a year I'd bet you could still get a first for him. He's a nut case but at least he's a young nut case. Giants would have to eat his signing bonus so his contract isn't that bad.

12 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Slightly off-topic, but would you consider a similar move I proposed for AB to get Bell should Pitt tag him again? I wouldn't only because I value RBs differently, but just wondering your thoughts?

Hard to imagine  The Steelers playing that game with Bell. The time for those shenanigans was last year. But in theory, maybe? I think others here are a bigger fan of Bell than me. I don’t trust that he’s going to look like his old self enough to do that 

9 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Honestly I'd give up #3 for Odell straight up. Even if he is just here for the duration of his current contract that's all we need. Our window is while Sam is on his rookie deal.

Odell's issue is Eli IMO, if he had a halfway decent QB I think he'd be happy.

...until the first time Sam threw more passes to Robby or Herndon and we win by 2 TDs.  Then he'll rant at the post-game presser and go into a funk for three weeks culminating in another injury.  No thanks.  OBJ will never be happy unless everything is going exactly his way.  Let him bring that crap anywhere else.

I probably should have said that I would not be in favor of getting either one of them for the reasons some of you have listed (crazy, divas, protecting Sam, salaries).

When I posted the idea, it was more from the thought of: how else could we use #3 if no one wants to give us a bunch of picks for it and we don't want to draft another DT

28 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Quite frankly, I'm not interested in either player.

I could understand why but Odell makes a ton more sense considering his age. 

But I don't see the Giants letting the Jets get Odell and I'm not sure the Jets front office and coaching staff want Darnold to deal with a head case like Odell while he's still developing.

Don’t want either of these assholes 

Brown was constantly bitching and displaying malcontent behavior in Pittsburgh despite playing with a HOF QB who targeted him 170 times a season on average.

Yet I’m supposed to believe he’ll suddenly change while playing on a lesser talented team with a growing, 22 year old QB?

Please

12 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I could understand why but Odell makes a ton more sense considering his age. 

But I don't see the Giants letting the Jets get Odell and I'm not sure the Jets front office and coaching staff want Darnold to deal with a head case like Odell while he's still developing.

Both are very talented but carry a lot of baggage.  I just don't think they are right fits at the present time.  If based soley on talent, neither the Giants or Steelers would let these players go.

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

Both are very talented but carry a lot of baggage.  I just don't think they are right fits at the present time.  If based soley on talent, neither the Giants or Steelers would let these players go.

True, but they are in different situations than we are. 

First, Brown wants out. It's not like the Steelers didn't want him. 

Second, the Giants have cap issues and Barkley. Having a high priced WR doesn't really fit their plans.... Which makes you wonder why they ever gave him that contract in the first place. 

8 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I probably should have said that I would not be in favor of getting either one of them for the reasons some of you have listed (crazy, divas, protecting Sam, salaries).

When I posted the idea, it was more from the thought of: how else could we use #3 if no one wants to give us a bunch of picks for it and we don't want to draft another DT

I could see some possible swaps with a player thrown in.

CIN has some good young offensive players (Boyd and Mixon).  Is there a swap (3 for 11) that includes one of them plus some additional draft capital that could make sense?  That's a big drop and those aren't big enough names alone but they could be part of a package.

JAX needs to lower it's cap badly.  Does a 7 + Jalen Ramsey for our 3 seem like a starting point?

Just some thoughts.  I think these trades are rare and hard to work out, thus very unlikely, but if you are speculating about ideas, I'd start with those two teams.  DEN would have been a good one too but...Flacco? 

39 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

They are both bat-sh*t crazy, and I would never do that to Darnold, no matter how much I would like to get him an upgrade at WR.  As talented as they are, they've also been massive headaches to both Manning and Ben, despite they fact that they were older and more experienced/established with their teams when starting to deal with them than Darnold is now.  Bad, bad idea.

You are (and I say this with love) nuts.  If you trade for Beckham, you're getting him in the prime of his career at a relative discount (72.25M/5 years, or 14M per year - otherwise known as "less than Sammy Watkins money".  And you're getting him with essentially 1 guaranteed year left on his deal (from 2020 forward, he has 2.75M left in guarantees).

Yeah, he's crazy off the field, and demanding on it.  But he's an elite game-breaker who would make our WR corps dominant by sliding everybody down a spot.  Darnold's not so fragile that he couldn't handle a diva WR.  If you could get Beckham for moving from 3 to 6, you do that in a heartbeat

I would be all in for obj if they were willing to trade him I do not want ab. Obj is young and can grow with darnold they are both divas but at least obj could be part of a rebuild and would not just be a quick patch. I don't foresee the giants trading him but if they would we need to inquire. Further if by some miracle they made that trade and we are sitting at 6 I might take it one further and go full stupid and ask tampa if they want to give us mike Evans for the 6th and their second i know it's 100 percent unrealistic but imagine the two of those monsters on the same team it would be magical assuming you can keep them from killing each other

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

12 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

You are (and I say this with love) nuts.  If you trade for Beckham, you're getting him in the prime of his career at a relative discount (72.25M/5 years, or 14M per year - otherwise known as "less than Sammy Watkins money".  And you're getting him with essentially 1 guaranteed year left on his deal (from 2020 forward, he has 2.75M left in guarantees).

Yeah, he's crazy off the field, and demanding on it.  But he's an elite game-breaker who would make our WR corps dominant by sliding everybody down a spot.  Darnold's not so fragile that he couldn't handle a diva WR.  If you could get Beckham for moving from 3 to 6, you do that in a heartbeat

Agree 100% with this.  How any Jet fan could disagree with you amazes me.

12 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I would be all in for obj if they were willing to trade him I do not want ab. Obj is young and can grow with darnold they are both divas but at least obj could be part of a rebuild and would not just be a quick patch. I don't foresee the giants trading him but if they would we need to inquire. Further if by some miracle they made that trade and we are sitting at 6 I might take it one further and go full stupid and ask tampa if they want to give us mike Evans for the 6th and their second i know it's 100 percent unrealistic but imagine the two of those monsters on the same team it would be magical assuming you can keep them from killing each other

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

This is great. LOL. If we're going to dream, we should dream big dreams the way you do!   :cheers:

Giants are not trading O'dell he is going cost 16 Mil in dead money if they do... Plus they would never trade that caliber of player to the Jets... Impossible... won't happen.  You have a shot with the steelers because of the relationships between the organizations... but in reality the Jets shouldn't give up more then a 3rd rounder for him because his value is shot... He is not going back to the Steelers and they are stuck... Maybe they swap 1st rounders to get AB... but I don't even see that happening... 

Based on talent alone, I'd move down to #6, and give the Gints a #2 next year, and maybe a 4th rounder too. As for O'smell's "persona", I don't ever see this "character" ever being happy.  He will be a constant diva and distraction on any team he plays for.  Bank on it.  Of course this will never happen, so this will remain in "fantasy land". Pass.  As for Brown,  we have far too many holes to go back all the way to #20.  Fifteen would be as far as I would go.  Besides, "good ol' Antonio" is in the midst of a mental breakdown, seriously, and at this point  would be a REALLY bad idea for this team. 

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

...until the first time Sam threw more passes to Robby or Herndon and we win by 2 TDs.  Then he'll rant at the post-game presser and go into a funk for three weeks culminating in another injury.  No thanks.  OBJ will never be happy unless everything is going exactly his way.  Let him bring that crap anywhere else.

I'm sure Gase would want him traded at that point. You probably don't make that trade unless Odell wants to come here. I'm not into trading for players that won't be happy.

Archived