Jets can steal Patriots starters Trey Flowers and Trent Brown in free agency

joewilly12

I'm scared to give any Pats Olineman big money. Their oline coach is the absolute best in the game and makes those guys play, as a unit, way above their individual talent level. Look at Solder, and he was much better than Brown. Brown had one foot in the street last summer before the Pats first round pick went down. I not opposed to bringing him in but in no way would I give him huge money. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I get people being cautious about Trent Brown, but he was good against elite rushers all year, while learning a new position.

He only got better as the season went on. He’s young, athletic, and powerful. Draft is a crap shoot. I’m all for signing Brown, and Flowers.

But New England is not letting Flowers go. He’ll get the franchise tag. 

Von Miller said he’s the best pass protector he ever faced

Trent Brown is big, young, has decent feet, got better as the season progressed, guys like Von Miller, Bosa, Ford, were completely stymied. I know Brady gets rid of the ball quickly but Sam should able to do that also with experience + we brought in Pollack to coach the Oline. Give him Beachums check + a bit more. Beachum SUCKS at run blocking (terrible).

What the hell is wrong with Jet fans? A young LT might be sitting there for the taking because the Pats have a #1 pick (Wynn) in the wings & we're not interested? He's not coming here to play for Bowles. These coaches are a different breed and EXPECT performance. 

Both Brown & Flowers STOOD OUT in 2 playoff games and the Super Bowl but we're not interested? I do agree with someone else here that Flowers will be franchise tagged. 

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I get people being cautious about Trent Brown, but he was good against elite rushers all year, while learning a new position.

He only got better as the season went on. He’s young, athletic, and powerful. Draft is a crap shoot. I’m all for signing Brown, and Flowers.

But New England is not letting Flowers go. He’ll get the franchise tag. 

If the Patriocheats "franchise tag" Flowers, that pretty much makes him a "Dead Man Walking".  In their history, the Patriocheats have used the tag only  9 times.  Three of those times the designation was used on a kicker, twice on Adam Vinatieri, and once on Stephen Gostkowski. The first time both were signed to extensions, not surprising due to their status and position. The second time with Vinatieri, he signed the deal for one year and was gone. Guess they didn't like that.  Two of the "franchise players" were designated and then packaged up and traded immediately.  Two others, Asante Samuel, and Wes Welker, signed the deal, then were allowed to walk the following season.  Again the Patriocheats don't forget. Only two, Logan Mankins and Vince Wilfork, both considered "true" franchise players" signed extensions, and showed any longevity with the team.  I don't think Flowers fits into that category.  Seems to me that the Patriocheats don't like it when players "force" them to franchise tag them, and if they do, it is not forgiven nor forgotten.  If Flowers does indeed get tagged, expect him to be gone shortly thereafter.

2 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

If the Patriocheats "franchise tag" Flowers, that pretty much makes him a "Dead Man Walking".  In their history, the Patriocheats have used the tag only  9 times.  Three of those times the designation was used on a kicker, twice on Adam Vinatieri, and once on Stephen Gostkowski. The first time both were signed to extensions, not surprising due to their status and position. The second time with Vinatieri, he signed the deal for one year and was gone. Guess they didn't like that.  Two of the "franchise players" were designated and then packaged up and traded. Two others, Asante Samuel, and Wes Welker, signed the deal, then were allowed to walk the following season.  Again the Patriocheats don't forget.

Very good post. Maybe they work out a long term deal. Either way, I dont see Flowers hitting the market. He’s the anchor of that defense. His versatility makes him extremely valuable.

Typical Belichick. He gets the best years out of players and then lets them leave for bigger contracts elsewhere. On very few occasions has he either re-signed or paid market value (Stephon Gilmore). He even let Randy Moss walk. And besides. In another scheme like the Jets 2018 D scheme they might have been just average. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Typical Belichick. He gets the best years out of players and then lets them leave for bigger contracts elsewhere. On very few occasions has he either re-signed or paid market value (Stephon Gilmore). He even let Randy Moss walk. 

It seems to work.. yet WE the JETS overpay our FAT vets like Revis and Wilkerson because they are "Fan Favorites" and our GM's have historically been big pussies.

2 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

I'm scared to give any Pats Olineman big money. Their oline coach is the absolute best in the game and makes those guys play, as a unit, way above their individual talent level. Look at Solder, and he was much better than Brown. Brown had one foot in the street last summer before the Pats first round pick went down. I not opposed to bringing him in but in no way would I give him huge money. 

belichick knows when to keep or get rid of his players.  he got rid of seymour, law, mankins, etc., when he doesn't feel they're worth the money.  if the patriots are willing to pay someone, that says something.  after the giants got burned on solder, that should really tell you something.  

9 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Typical Belichick. He gets the best years out of players and then lets them leave for bigger contracts elsewhere. On very few occasions has he either re-signed or paid market value (Stephon Gilmore). He even let Randy Moss walk. And besides. In another scheme like the Jets 2018 D scheme they might have been just average. 

Both Trent Brown & Trey Flowers are very young & in their prime? This isn't Law, Samuel, Moss situation. Both of these players could help the Jets for years.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Flowers STOOD OUT in 2 playoff games and the Super Bowl but we're not interested? I do agree with someone else here that Flowers will be franchise tagged. 

Trey  Flowers had Six tackles in Three playoff games, five solo and one assist.  Two of those tackles resulted in sacks, and one other was a tackle for a loss. He also had four quarterback hits which pretty much falls into the "nice try but no cigar" category.  He made some plays, but let's not make him out to be Lawrence Taylor.

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Pats have one of the best OL Coaches in the NFL. Even if you don’t buy the holding conspiracy, it’s been a virtual lock that Pats OL who excel there become mostly ordinary when they leave. Solder being the most recent example, Logan Mankins another.

Solder is a bad example in comparison to a player coming here. Eli is a statue. He is about the most immobile QB in the NFL. Darnold is very skilled at moving in the pocket and escaping when needed, sort of like another QB in the AFCE. If Solder was on the Jets, he would look a lot better

Is the primary Jets receiving target going to be Edelman after 1.4 seconds in the pocket? If they're going to be hoping to get Anderson more involved again, Darnold is going to need more time than Brown provides, and scoffing at the blatant holding calls NE gets away with is how you end up with a regretful signing. 

It's appropriate to take any one person's (or one website's, like PFF) player rankings with a grain of salt, but when factoring in those very real holding non-calls he won't benefit from here, and that Darnold isn't going to have the release and vision and pocket awareness (and cheating) of a veteran Tom Brady, write-ups like this are less than encouraging:

T TRENT BROWN

The talk about Brown being ‘transformed’ by Dante Scarnecchia in New England is vastly overblown. He allowed nearly the same amount of pressures he did in his last full season in San Francisco (35 vs. 39 in 2016). While he gave up half as many sacks, his 12 hits allowed were the second-most of any tackle. Brown pretty much is what he is at this point; an incredibly large man who will alternate whiffs with dominant blocks.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Is the primary Jets receiving target going to be Edelman after 1.4 seconds in the pocket? If they're going to be hoping to get Anderson more involved again, Darnold is going to need more time than Brown provides, and scoffing at the blatant holding calls NE gets away with is how you end up with a regretful signing. 

It's appropriate to take any one person's (or one website's, like PFF) player rankings with a grain of salt, but when factoring in those very real holding non-calls he won't benefit from here, and that Darnold isn't going to have the release and vision and pocket awareness (and cheating) of a veteran Tom Brady, write-ups like this are less than encouraging:

T TRENT BROWN

The talk about Brown being ‘transformed’ by Dante Scarnecchia in New England is vastly overblown. He allowed nearly the same amount of pressures he did in his last full season in San Francisco (35 vs. 39 in 2016). While he gave up half as many sacks, his 12 hits allowed were the second-most of any tackle. Brown pretty much is what he is at this point; an incredibly large man who will alternate whiffs with dominant blocks.

I think Darnold is already pretty close on the vision and pocket awareness of Brady (needs to work on the cheating I guess)

The real question is will Brown accept a reasonable contract, is he an upgrade over Shell, and can he help us improve. If I get 2 of the 3, I would be happy

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

If you think Brady has bad pocket presence as Eli does, you haven't been paying attention

He's better in both pre-snap and pocket presence than Eli, for sure.  I was just pointing out that Brady is not mobile, and that seemed to be what you were saying was the reason Solder didn't fare as well in a Giants uniform. 

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I think Darnold is already pretty close on the vision and pocket awareness of Brady (needs to work on the cheating I guess)

The real question is will Brown accept a reasonable contract, is he an upgrade over Shell, and can he help us improve. If I get 2 of the 3, I would be happy

Shell sucks, so if there's even a question as to whether or not he's an upgrade over Shell, pass without further question lol.

And no, Darnold is not pretty close to vision/pocket awareness to Brady. I like him, too, but no.

5 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Trey  Flowers had Six tackles in Three playoff games, five solo and one assist.  Two of those tackles resulted in sacks, and one other was a tackle for a loss. He also had four quarterback hits which pretty much falls into the "nice try but no cigar" category.  He made some plays, but let's not make him out to be Lawrence Taylor.

So in 3 playoff games, with TOP clearly in favor of the Patriots offense he had 1 less sack than Leo had in 16 games, gotcha.

The Jets have $100mm to spend.  They will overspend on some players.  Some players will get lucky.

The goal is that, in the end, the team in September 2019 is much better than that from December 2018.  The best way to do that is to have a better OL.  

Trent Brown, like Nate Solder, will make alot of money next month, from someone.  If he is smart he will stay true to his craft and keep working and get a few more contracts, like Whitworth did.

I did hear Brown speak on Sirius NFL Radio-seems like a good dude.  

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

So in 3 playoff games, with TOP clearly in favor of the Patriots offense he had 1 less sack than Leo had in 16 games, gotcha.

You must have misunderstood.  I said Lawrence Taylor not Leonard Williams.  Two sacks in three games extrapolates to approximately 11 sacks over the course of a season. Twenty players did that this season, none by the name of Trey Flowers.   As for the number of tackles, 2 a game is not even worth discussing.  Sorry but that is not a standout performance.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's better in both pre-snap and pocket presence than Eli, for sure.  I was just pointing out that Brady is not mobile, and that seemed to be what you were saying was the reason Solder didn't fare as well in a Giants uniform. 

Brady is mobile in the sense that he knows how to take a step to the left or right or step up to avoid pressure. Dam is also very good at this. 

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Shell sucks, so if there's even a question as to whether or not he's an upgrade over Shell, pass without further question lol.

And no, Darnold is not pretty close to vision/pocket awareness to Brady. I like him, too, but no.

There were a few times Darnold made a good pass to a WR where other QB's would have thrown the ball away so I think his vision is already above average. If Brady has super human vision, well then you are right but I also see Brady as above average here. I also see Darnold move, slide, whatever you want to call or to avoid pressure.  I don't  even compare it to Brady, he looks Rogersesque doing that.

Is he really that good?  I know he's young and he's averaging about 7 sacks per season but I'd credit some of that to the NE scheme and wonder if he's really worth $100M.  Certainly the Patriots think he's good, but not great if they're not willing to franchise him.  I'm guessing BB figures he can find another guy in Round 4 like he did with Flowers and grow him into a 5+ sack per season player.

Trent Brown Addresses Free Agency, ‘Would Love’ To Re-Sign With Patriots

by Zack Cox on Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 3:32PM

Trent Brown was a godsend for the New England Patriots in 2018, seamlessly replacing Nate Solder and starting every game at left tackle for the Super Bowl LIII champs.

Protecting Tom Brady’s blind side is among the most high-profile jobs an NFL offensive lineman can hold. Now, with the season over and the start of free agency rapidly approaching, Brown is in the spotlight for a different reason.

As arguably the best offensive tackle available this spring, the 6-foot-8, 380-pounder is set to cash in on the open market and could be one-and-done in New England.

Would Brown like to re-sign with the Patriots? He addressed that topic and free agency in general Monday during an appearance on “The Adam Schefter Podcast.

“That’s definitely something I would love,” Brown told the ESPN insider. “But hey, we’re going to cross that bridge when we get there.”

Brown, who raved about Brady and Patriots offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia on the podcast, explained in broad terms what he’ll be looking for from potential suitors once free agency opens March 14.

“Hopefully, it’s somewhere where I can build some longevity, somewhere that’ll be a great place and great fit schematically, in the locker room, on the field and also a great fit for my family, as well,” he said.

After making a modest $1.9 million this season in the final year of his rookie contract, Brown is in line for a massive pay raise. For context, Solder signed a four-year, $62 million deal with the New York Giants last offseason, and he was 29 at the time. Brown will be 26 when the 2019 season begins, and his 2018 campaign was stronger than the one Solder put together in his final season with the Patriots.

“Ever since I got drafted in the seventh round (in 2015), I felt like that was definitely lower than expected and lower than I ever wanted to go,” Brown said. “It all happens for a reason, but I felt disrespected by it, and I’ve been waiting for this time for a long time now. I’ve been putting in the work, busting my (butt). I took a week-and-a-half off (after the Super Bowl), and I’m already back to training, because I definitely don’t want people to feel like, ‘Oh, he’s going to get paid and then get lazy.’ No. I want to continue to win. I want to continue to get better, and I want to continue to chase my goals.”

Brown used his platform on Schefter’s podcast to sell himself to teams who might be in the market for a new tackle. Asked if there’s a better pass protector in the NFL than him, Brown replied: “No, sir.”

“I’m an athlete with a huge frame, and I can move just as well as a guy who’s 6-3, 320,” Brown said. “And I move a lot better than those guys in some cases — most cases, I’d say. I credit that to my dad for not allowing me to play with kids my age when I was growing up.

“I always played with age groups above the age of my own and then finding out that some of those kids were actually way older than I was. I remember I was 5, and some of those kids were in middle school already. A lot of times, that kind of stuff goes on in little league football. I’m sure you’ve heard how the birth certificates get fudged and all that stuff. But growing up, I was always a skill player, and I just started playing offensive line when I got to high school, really.”

If Brown does sign elsewhere this offseason, the Patriots will look to 2018 first-round draft pick Isaiah Wynn to fill the void. Wynn, who was expected to challenge Brown for the starting left tackle spot last summer, missed his entire rookie season after tearing his Achilles in a preseason game.

Archived