Hearing Broncos will let Paradis test FA.

Patriot Killa

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Cecil Lammey tweets:

Hearing buzz that the #Broncos will let Matt Paradis test the open market. They like him but do not want to pay top dollar for the veteran center. Heard that Paradis wants to stay in Denver but won't take a low-ball offer. @1043TheFan

Does this really make sense?  They just invested in a 34 yr old QB.  That is as win-now a move if there ever was one.  Why wouldn't Elway want that veteran c working with Flacco towards the goal for the next 3 years?

Hey, I hope Elway lets him go and the Jets get him.  A poor man's potential Mawae setting. I'm in. 

Good Centers typically go middle of first to middle of second round.

Broncos pick at the top of the second.  There are a few good centers available.  They can draft a young one and build.

The Jets traded their second round draft picks.  They need to sign a FA center.  

This is definitely a no brainer and the exact reason you don't keep Long at $6.5 million to be depth. If they can address Center and Left Guard in FA in a meaningful way I'd be thrilled. The strength of your offensive line can either make or ruin your season no matter what QB or RB you have.

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

We have so many needs, and only 1 pick in the 1st 2 rounds.  Best case, you get a center in the 3rd round, who maybe can start day 1.

True, but I think there is a better than 50/50 chance we trade down. Macc wasn't known for trading up or down in the 1st, until it was the obvious thing to do to get one of the top 2/3 QBs in the draft. Macc should find himself in a position to trade down with a QB needy team. While the obvious teams are the Jags/Giants a team like the Skins (with Smith likely out the year) and the Broncos (I am not buying that Elway thinks Flacco is the answer long term) could be in play.  

As for Paradis, he is at the top of my wishlist in free agency. He would be my number 1 target and work out from there. Whether we snag another Free Agent tackle/Guard or draft one, I think it all starts in securing a high end center. 

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

OL can play effectively well into their 30’s look at Andrew Whitworth

Yes - this is what made the sudden retirements of Brick and Mangold all the more painful. I thought we had years more with each. 

36 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

True, but I think there is a better than 50/50 chance we trade down. Macc wasn't known for trading up or down in the 1st, until it was the obvious thing to do to get one of the top 2/3 QBs in the draft. Macc should find himself in a position to trade down with a QB needy team. While the obvious teams are the Jags/Giants a team like the Skins (with Smith likely out the year) and the Broncos (I am not buying that Elway thinks Flacco is the answer long term) could be in play.  

As for Paradis, he is at the top of my wishlist in free agency. He would be my number 1 target and work out from there. Whether we snag another Free Agent tackle/Guard or draft one, I think it all starts in securing a high end center. 

I’m surprised you think the odds are so high we’ll be able to move down. You’re way more optimistic then I am, but I hope you’re right.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What makes you think that he' capable of trading down where the Jets can net a haul? I've lost faith in the man and the evidence has shown itself overtime:

2017 - Jets were sitting at #6 overall with QBs Watson and Maholmes available. I was SURE the Jets were going to trade down (they just picked Hack in '16) and teams like ARZ, Houston, and NOLA were projected to be chomping at the bit for their next young QB. Yet, we stayed and took Adams. Buffalo & Cleveland traded out at #10 & #12, respectively, and got '18 1st rounders out of it. There have been NO rumors about possible offers or talks in regards to the Jets from my understanding. Watson took his team to the playoffs in year 2 and Maholmes is the reigning league MVP.

I don't think Mac can pull-off a trade down except for his dinkers like in '17 when he traded down in the 3rd to gain a 4th and selected WRs Stewart & Hansen; BOTH are OUT of the NFL. 

And YES, Jets should throw $$$ at C Mitch Morse in addition to drafting some OLine as early as can be with draft capital. Paradis is older, coming off an injury, and may command more per/year. Morse hasn't allowed a sack since his rookie year in '15 and only 5 pressures in '18. 

Hopefully, Morse can provide the professionalism and stability to the Jets' younger OLineman the way Alan Faneca did for his 2 years here when he signed in '08.

If the Jets do sign Morse, it may parallel the '98 signing of Mawae: a young up & coming center coming off his rookie contract who still had his BEST years AHEAD of his current body of work. 

9 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Yes signing Denver Fa offense lineman has worked out great for teams in the past.  Hey sign him to a big contract, as one of these Denver offensive lineman eventually has to work out for a new team.   

I know he's not a center but if you want a guard,  I could see J Gruden moving K Osemele in  a trade this offseason. 

Exactly,

If there's two edicts NFL GMs should stick to its:

1) Don't sign Denver FA offensive lineman; and

2) Don't draft U.S.C QBs

Everyone knows this.

common

Paradis or Morse? Either 1 is a huge upgrade & we'll only have to pay them 3 million more than they paid Long, it's a no brainer.

The issue is, do they want to come to NJ? Thank god we have Sam Darnold, the chance of success is a draw. Being part of a team trying to take down the Patriots should be a factor for those that want to test their mettle against the best. Besides money, the goal is to topple those bastards once & for all. 2010 was freaking amazing! That was the best Jets upset after Super Bowl lll and bigger than the Monday Night Miracle being that it was a playoff game.

5 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

I would prefer Mitch Morse due to age and elite pass blocking ability . 

But wouldn’t  mind Paradis a little old but arguably one of the best centers in the game . 

I had the same trepidation about Paradis's age, but he entered the league as a 25-year-old rookie, so he has more tread on his tires than your typical 29-year-old. He was also PFF's #2 center last year before going out with his injury. 

Honestly, if the Jets can sign Bell and Paradis, that's a home run. I think the top 4 FA edge rushers are going to resign with their teams before FA starts. At edge, I'm expecting a combo of Robert Quinn (if he gets cut) and Fowler. 

5 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

What makes you think that he' capable of trading down where the Jets can net a haul? I've lost faith in the man and the evidence has shown itself overtime:

2017 - Jets were sitting at #6 overall with QBs Watson and Maholmes available. I was SURE the Jets were going to trade down (they just picked Hack in '16) and teams like ARZ, Houston, and NOLA were projected to be chomping at the bit for their next young QB. Yet, we stayed and took Adams. Buffalo & Cleveland traded out at #10 & #12, respectively, and got '18 1st rounders out of it. There have been NO rumors about possible offers or talks in regards to the Jets from my understanding. Watson took his team to the playoffs in year 2 and Maholmes is the reigning league MVP.

I don't think Mac can pull-off a trade down except for his dinkers like in '17 when he traded down in the 3rd to gain a 4th and selected WRs Stewart & Hansen; BOTH are OUT of the NFL. 

I heard similar arguments last year when it was suggested that Mac should trade up. 

8 hours ago, ryu79 said:

Yes - this is what made the sudden retirements of Brick and Mangold all the more painful. I thought we had years more with each. 

Brick could have played a couple more years but was about to be a cap casualty and didn’t want to start moving every year

12 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Mitch Morse is 26 or 27. But I don’t like how people make 30 years old sound like it’s the cut off for every player at every position or how we shouldn’t pursue anyone with talent if they are 30 years old. OL is very different from say Running Back and good OL can absolutely play into their mid 30’s. 

Agreed. Signing Paradis at 30, barring serious injury isn’t like signinf a RB at 30.

He can have 4 quality seasons left in him. 

Having said that, if we miss out on Paradis, Morse would be a very good plan B.

On 2/13/2019 at 9:04 PM, Philc1 said:

OL can play effectively well into their 30’s look at Andrew Whitworth

I get some of the reluctance - Brick started his noticeable decline at around that age, and Mangold never made it back from his only real injury. Neither made it to age 33, but Paradis is turning 30 not 32.

I think the age 30 hysteria has gone (and has been) way overboard. Which is the greater risk of failure? A 30 year-old probowl center failing to live up to a guarantee through age 31, or one of Macc's usual "upside" dogs**t FA pickups that have about a 15% success rate (success generously including meh players like Beachum).

Paradis doesn't have to last well into his 30s. He has to last until a drafted replacement is usable. The longer the better, but if he lasts 2 years and then someone else mops up the last 5 games for him, with good play making Paradis expendable that offseason, that's as much as we need. Also allows a drafted center to slide over to guard for a year (or two) if so desired.

They should buy Darnold some serious pros around him. With his own contract in the $8MM/yr range, signing below average centers and high-5'ing the blindly loyal because Long's annual nut was "only" $7MM (and even less than that for W.Johnson before him), is shortsighted foolishness. 

If they manage to sign 3 above-average starting FA OLmen (G, C, RT) and the average additional overpayment to bring in this new talent is $3MM/year for each one, it's money well spent for their 2 guaranteed seasons. Not only is it an instant fix vs a draft pick's maybe + growth time, but relying on a draft pick isn't free $ either: Macc will still first piss away half a Paradis amount to sign a $5-6MM Ijalana-like stopgap just in case, since the draft comes after FA. 

If he fits the blocking scheme they're going to incorporate, he's a no-brainer.

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

When I read your thread title, the first thing I thought was our resident poster Paradis.

I was like, forum posters get Free Agency now?  sh*t, I wonder who I should sign with, maybe a really good team could use an arrogant, bloviating opinionated poster who loves the sound of his own voice......

Then I opened the thread.  and left disappointed.

our forums are well stocked with these type of free agents.

13 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Yes signing Denver Fa offense lineman has worked out great for teams in the past.  Hey sign him to a big contract, as one of these Denver offensive lineman eventually has to work out for a new team.   

I know he's not a center but if you want a guard,  I could see J Gruden moving K Osemele in  a trade this offseason. 

Ryan Clady would heartily disagree.? Oh, you meant for the team?

Morse would be a better path than Paradis.  The hope would be another Mawae.

Offer each of them an aggressive deal (Morse would be more expensive), and sign whomever says yes first.  

The best answer would be to draft someone.  But this team needs too much, and there is no guarantee they get a second round pick that would be required.  

7 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

This is a Whitworth deja Vu. Jets could have competion here.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The Jets would appear to have the biggest need for a C and have almost the most money (the Colts have a C).

So one would expect we would be the high bidder.  If we still lose like with Cousins, that is a bigger problem.  

We don't know if we are trading down until likely draft day.   The Jets need at least 1 DE, a WR1/2, a RB, a C and a LT.   The Jets are almost certain to get the DE in RD1, even if they trade down a bit.   The other positions they should aggressively hunt in FA

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Agreed. Signing Paradis at 30, barring serious injury isn’t like signinf a RB at 30.

He can have 4 quality seasons left in him. 

Having said that, if we miss out on Paradis, Morse would be a very good plan B.

I agree. Morse is a little more injury prone but you gotta like him as a player. Great pass blocker. Our priorities for center should be Paradis 1A and Morse 1B.

14 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

My thing is the Broncos seem to be unaware of the fact that most NFL teams are so OL hungry that the moment Paradis is let go to test FA and come back with a price...they aren’t getting him back. The Bills, Jets, Cardinals, Texans and every other team under the sun is going to be bidding on him. 

It’s absolutely over with for the Broncos if they are seriously going to do this lol. Elway trying to outsmart everyone again...reminiscent of Paxton Lynch. Hope they have a solid back up plan. Flacco is going to need protection.

Yep, not sure what the Broncos are thinking here. Paradis is going to go from underpaid to overpaid. It's gonna be a bidding war, but the jets really have no choice but to take the plunge. They have the money to spend and need him desperately.

Archived