Hearing Broncos will let Paradis test FA.

Patriot Killa

The Jets would appear to have the biggest need for a C and have almost the most money (the Colts have a C).
So one would expect we would be the high bidder.  If we still lose like with Cousins, that is a bigger problem.  
We don't know if we are trading down until likely draft day.   The Jets need at least 1 DE, a WR1/2, a RB, a C and a LT.   The Jets are almost certain to get the DE in RD1, even if they trade down a bit.   The other positions they should aggressively hunt in FA
Thing is the Jets again could be bidding against their selves again.

Agree with everything other than trading down if Bosa is there since I don't see an additional first coming their way.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Yes signing Denver Fa offense lineman has worked out great for teams in the past.  Hey sign him to a big contract, as one of these Denver offensive lineman eventually has to work out for a new team.   

I know he's not a center but if you want a guard,  I could see J Gruden moving K Osemele in  a trade this offseason. 

We didn't sign Ryan Clady. We got Clady and a 7th rounder for a 5th rounder. Who else have we signed from the Broncos?

7 hours ago, RVAJet815 said:

Yep, not sure what the Broncos are thinking here. Paradis is going to go from underpaid to overpaid. It's gonna be a bidding war, but the jets really have no choice but to take the plunge. They have the money to spend and need him desperately.

The Broncos are very tight on salary cap and have 2 QBs.  They have a second round pick.  They can draft a center.  

If I were them I would not sign Paradis either.  The Jets have to because they have too many other holes.  

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:19 PM, Tony MaC said:

Heyyyyyyy. Wanna know a team that WILL pay top dollar for a veteran center? the f#ckin' Jets, that's who.

He's going on 30 but screw it; we have a need, he fills it, pay the man. I'd give him something close to a top 10 deal for his position just to secure his services.  (that's 7-9 million a year for a center)

Yes, but does he know how to do a shotgun snap with his eyes closed? If not I pass.

11 hours ago, varjet said:

The Jets would appear to have the biggest need for a C and have almost the most money (the Colts have a C).

So one would expect we would be the high bidder.  If we still lose like with Cousins, that is a bigger problem.  

We don't know if we are trading down until likely draft day.   The Jets need at least 1 DE, a WR1/2, a RB, a C and a LT.   The Jets are almost certain to get the DE in RD1, even if they trade down a bit.   The other positions they should aggressively hunt in FA

Think you mean LG not LT, but otherwise yeah all this.

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Think you mean LG not LT, but otherwise yeah all this.

I was thinking LT, but yes, they also need LG.  

I was actually thinking there would be someone available in the draft for LG.

The right answer here could be to sign a LT, LG and C, and try to replace Winters and Shell in Rds 3+ in the draft. 

Nice work Mac.  

Bent, theJetsBlog.com Follow on Twitter

Earlier this week, the Buffalo Bills announced they had signed former Jets center Spencer Long. The Jets had reportedly held out some hope of bringing Long back on a reduced salary having released him last week.

Now that Long is no longer an option, who could the Jets' starting center be in 2019?

Incumbents

The Jets don't have anyone with center experience on their current roster, although Jon Toth signed a futures deal, so he'll be with the team next season. Toth has never played in a regular season game though, so he is a longshot to make the roster, let alone compete for a starting role. There doesn't seem to be any obvious candidates to convert to center, either.

Two pending free agents - Dakota Dozier and Jonotthan Harrison - have played center for the Jets in the past. In fact, Harrison started the last seven games of the 2018 season, as Long's finger injury forced him to move to guard. However, he's probably inadequate as a first choice.

Dozier has played a few times as an emergency center, but the team always seemed to prefer him at guard. Either or both could be re-signed for depth, though.

Free agency

The top free agent center is former Bronco Matt Paradis, who has started in Denver since his rookie year in 2014. That was also Adam Gase's final year as their offensive coordinator, so there's a connection there. Paradis would provide a big upgrade in terms of pass protection, and in the running game.

It was considered unlikely that the Broncos would let the 29-year old test the market, but reports earlier this week now suggest that they will. Paradis missed the second half of last season with a broken leg, and is likely to cost upwards of $10 million per year with several teams expected to make him a priority, so the move is not without risk.

Other than Paradis, the free agent class is somewhat thin, although Kansas City's Mitch Morse is sure to draw interest if he hits the market. Morse is still only 27 and did a good job with the Chiefs last year, although he wasn't as effective as Paradis.

The only remaining options are less attractive and may not even represent an upgrade over what a banged-up Long provided in 2018. However, at some point, it would make sense to sign a fallback option who could start if the Jets don't fill the position adequately, or if the player they bring in gets hurt or struggles.

The Jets could consider bringing back Travis Swanson, who was with the team in camp but ended up starting 11 games for Gase's Dolphins. Alternatively, if the Bengals - whose 2018 offensive line coach Frank Pollack is now with the Jets - are going to persevere with Billy Price as their starter, then they might let pending restricted free agent Trey Hopkins leave.

Oct 14, 2018; Foxborough, MA, USA; Kansas City Chiefs center Mitch Morse (61) at the line of scrimmage during the second quarter against the New England Patriots at Gillette Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Greg M. Cooper-USA TODAY Sports (Greg M. Cooper)

Draft

If the Jets come up empty in free agency, then drafting a potential starter is not out of the question, although recent history suggests it might be difficult to find one who is going to be good right off the bat.

A handful of rookie centers have stepped right into the starting lineup over the past few seasons, including Price and Mason Cole last year, both of whom struggled. In 2017, Pat Elflein did well as a full-time starter for the Vikings in his rookie year, but then struggled badly in 2018. Two rookie starters in 2016 - Ryan Kelly and Cody Whitehair - played well, but they were a first and second-rounder respectively.

The Jets don't have a second-round pick so, unless they package some picks or add to their draft capital with a first-round trade down, they wouldn't be able to pick a center until the third round.

Since Elflein and Cole were both third-rounders, recent history perhaps isn't that promising. However, there's an encouraging crop of center prospects this year, so perhaps one the Jets identify as pro-ready will fall to them.

Top prospects include Garrett Bradbury from North Carolina State, Erik McCoy from Texas A&M and Elgton Jenkins from Mississippi State. However, based on current rankings, it's possible all three will be selected by the end of the second round.

Another possibility is to draft a tackle or guard and convert them to center, which is what the Bears did with Whitehair. Some scouts think Kansas State tackle Dalton Risner is a better fit inside, so perhaps he could be a candidate. But this too is far from a sure thing.

Unfortunately, if the Jets can't get Paradis or Morse in free agency, they might be stuck hoping that someone unexpected is a surprise cap casualty or made available via trade.

On 2/14/2019 at 1:59 PM, Beerfish said:

We''ll trade him fro Brandon pettigrew or that Arizona wr he was always in love with that flopped.

With regard to @Paradis and his ‘misses’ I’ll take a guy who puts his name to it than the millions of retrospective GM savants that pollute this board with their “we coulda had instead of”  or ‘“ I knew he would bust” genius acting like they are, but-for-the-grace-of-God, not heading up an NFL front office 

2 hours ago, redlichtie said:

With regard to @Paradis and his ‘misses’ I’ll take a guy who puts his name to it than the millions of retrospective GM savants that pollute this board with their “we coulda had instead of”  or ‘“ I knew he would bust” genius acting like they are, but-for-the-grace-of-God, not heading up an NFL front office 

Lol, yea, no one goes back & brings up the sh*t they say during & after these drafts. I remember a LOT of Jet fans clamoring for Paxton Lunch & saying how smart John Elway is. All that sh*t is water under the bridge & if Sam Darnold turns out to be anything close to Brett Farve then Macc goes into my Jet GM hall of fame. It doesn't matter how you get a franchise QB, by trade, or luck, we haven't had one in freaking 50 f*cking years & next year, I get to turn on the TV, and not have to watch Mark Sanchez, Michael Vick, Geno Smith, Ryan Fitzpatrick, or Josh McCown! How in my right mind could I think this team had an iota of a shot to get to the playoffs again after 2010? 

Even Vinnie was another older mercanary when the 1998 season opened & we all were so excited for that season to start. A Curtis Martin fumble & bam, it was over! THIS is the most exciting time to be a Jet fan. If your still not excited, watch Darnolds year in review, and remember he was playing with a Swiss cheese Oline, a center who couldn't snap, RBs running in quicksand, a rookie TE, a 180 Lb WR, an undrafted free agent he played with at USC, and an unimaginative OC who spent 5 years in the woods. He had the best QBR rating in the last quarter of the season, turns 22 June 5th! TWENTY TWO! 

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

I give Mac no credit since he could have gotten a FQB the year before and passed.  Broken clock, blind squirrel etc.    

It would have been Watson, no way they would have taken Mahomes at 6. Watson is playing on a team much better than Sam, has arguably the best WR in football snagging his passes out of the air & a defense with Watt, Mercilus & Clowney. I'll take Sam Darnold any day of the week & twice on Thursday, Sunday or Monday.

Beat writer calls team for a quote "tell them that we are just the right amount of interested, not too much, not to little" 

Beat writer calls the agent for a quote "tell them that we are just the right amount of interested, not too much, not too little" 

Story actually gets written lol

Archived