GM dept. : Ranking GM Mike Maccagnan's Best draft picks  ~ ~ ~

kelly

So Mac averages about 1 good pick per draft. I could go by Walter Footballs mock drafts and their rankings and do the drafting myself and have a better draft record - and save the Jets a bunch of money they pay to their scouts. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then. Mac is more like a deaf dumb blind and crippled squirrel.

I'm not going to get anywhere near as hostile or downright nasty in this post as I could...

The bottom line is Mac needs to start doing his job and I mean right now. He's the very reason why this team is horrible right now. He purely had done a horrible job drafting. There's no other way to describe it.

I find no earthly reason whatsoever why Chris would trust this slug.

So Mac averages about 1 good pick per draft. I could go by Walter Footballs mock drafts and their rankings and do the drafting myself and have a better draft record - and save the Jets a bunch of money they pay to their scouts. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then. Mac is more like a deaf dumb blind and crippled squirrel.
He got darnold and Herndon last draft that mean he is getting better at drafting?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, kelly said:

saw this..

NFL.com praises the Jets 2018 draft class     (via @JustinTFried)      https://thejetpress.com/2019/02/19/new-york-jets-nfl-com-praises-2018-draft-class/ 

If Shepherd or Foley can get significant time playing in Williams' 4-3 (considering that the Jets now need to play 4 DL), I would be inclined to give Mac high marks for this last draft.  Nickerson and Cannon are bonuses.  

If the draft is just Darnold and Herndon, he is still in B land, 2018 being his best of 4 drafts.  2019 would be a big test for him.  

• 2 months later...

Mike Maccagnan completed his fifth draft as Jets general manager Saturday knowing full well that it’s time to deliver for a star-crossed franchise pushed to the margins for the better part of this decade.Gang Green’s losing ways pre-dated Maccagnan, but nobody cares about how bad the other guys in the big chair were when he rolled into town like a Scout in Shining Armor.There have been smart trades, low-risk-high-reward payoffs, missteps, failures and a coaching divorce so far, but the powers that be, felt confident enough to entrust him with this pivotal offseason.

So Maccagnan spent more than $100 million of the Johnson Brothers’ money in free agency, fortifying weaknesses partly created by his previous errors.

“I think we’ve done some good things in terms of improving the talent at certain positions,” Maccagnan said Saturday of the offseason additions. “You’re never truly done…. It’s not as if you finish the draft and this is the last time you ever spend looking at the roster.”Until we get the opening-day roster – whether it’s the final waiver wire cuts, whether there are potential trades or stuff along the way,” he added, “There’s definitely areas that I still think we can improve upon…. We’re kind of excited to see some of our young players come back too and see how they do. You’re never really done building the roster.

At this point in time, we made some good strides and we have some good pieces in place.”

Maccagnan definitely brought some game-changers into the building.He landed dynamic — yet mercurial — offensive weapon Le’Veon Bell to help the young franchise quarterback. He paid a pretty penny for game-wrecking Pro Bowl linebacker C.J. Mosley, who is roughly a trillion times better than the player that he drafted not so long ago (Darron Lee).Maccagnan, who has made 15 draft-day trades, is far from perfect, but it appears that he made the Jets better in free agency and the draft this offseason. Sure, his draft record is uneven at best, but there have been some recent glimmers of hope.Jamal Adams is a one-man culture changer. The organization’s bold decision to trade up to position itself for a franchise quarterback last year will go down as one of the most brilliant decisions in Jets history. Chris Herndon will prove to be a gift from the fourth-round Gods.

Although Maccagnan should have traded down in the first round this week to acquire more assets, it’s hard to complain about getting arguably the safest, best player in this draft. Alabama defensive tackle Quinnen Williams has the skills to be a special player for a very long time. Third-round USC tackle Chuma Edoga has a chance to be a starting tackle in 2020 (if not sooner).The Jets still have holes (offensive line, cornerback, wide receiver) that won’t be filled with long-term solutions in the coming weeks/months, but Maccagnan has made solid choices after an uneven first few years.The powers that be, opted to fire Todd Bowles, but retain Maccagnan because of their belief the general manager can learn from his previous missteps. The past few months have been solid for Maccagnan by every objective measure even if you don’t agree with every decision.

That hasn’t stopped the NFL rumor mill from going into overdrive the past few days. The latest installment of the league’s whisper-down-the-lane chatter centered on Maccagnan’s immediate future and his relationship with Adam Gase.“Actually, I think Adam and I have worked very well together,” Maccagnan said Friday. “I’m sure, like in any process, there are times where… you know, you work through the process.”It’s naïve to think that everyone on One Jets Drive has agreed with all of Maccagnan’s decisions, but it’s inaccurate to paint a picture of warring factions in the building. (The Daily News reported in March that the Jets were divided in their pursuit of Bell for a myriad of reasons in the run-up to free agency).

The notion that the general manager’s job is in jeopardy right now after ownership entrusted him with hiring a new head coach, spending more than $100 million and leading the draft is untrue.“It’s just like in a scouting meeting,” Maccagnan said. “You might have different opinions on a player. But from my standpoint, I’ve actually had a very good working relationship with Adam. Quite frankly, as I’ve said before, he has a very good sense of humor. He makes me laugh quite a bit, which is one of the reasons why I like working with him.”

Maccagnan and Gase are less than four months into what each hope is a long and prosperous relationship. But make no mistake: This is a critical year for everyone.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-mccagnan-jets-nfl-draft-20190427-zkdq675zw5emrce3pqmzsknrda-story.html

Mike Maccagnan’s job status figured to be a cloud hanging over the Jets’ 2019 season. But no one could have expected it to start this soon.

Surprisingly, Maccagnan’s future with the Jets became a source of speculation during the NFL draft — to the point at which he had to answer questions about it Friday night. Reports and rumors have been flying about a rift between the Jets general manager and new coach Adam Gase, with some suggesting Maccagnan could be fired in the coming days.Multiple sources have shot down those rumors, saying there is nothing to them. Logically, the rumors make little sense. Have Maccagnan and Gase disagreed on players over the past two months? Certainly. Every coach and GM have different views on certain players. But it would be shocking if there were a rift between these two before they have even gone into a game together. Losing leads to dysfunction inside organizations. Right now, the Maccagnan-Gase team is undefeated.

The Jets should be excoriated if they were to fire Maccagnan now. They just let him hire Gase, alongside CEO Christopher Johnson, spend more than $120 million in free agency and make all of the team’s draft picks. Firing him now would set a new world record for stupidity.That being said, there is no doubt that Maccagnan will be on the hot seat this fall. Everything that goes wrong will be pinned on him. He no longer has the human shield named Todd Bowles. For the past few years, the question has always been whether the Jets were bad because they had bad players or because they were poorly coached. Johnson sent Bowles packing and gave Maccagnan the chance to hire a new coach despite 14 wins in the past three years.

Gase, while an unpopular choice with Jets fans in January, will be in the honeymoon phase this season. It will be Maccagnan who takes all the bullets.This draft was his last chance to bolster the 2019 roster. Last year, he landed the biggest piece of the puzzle with quarterback Sam Darnold and then threw money around in free agency to land Le’Veon Bell and C.J. Mosley, among others, to give Gase some weapons.We won’t know for sure how Maccagnan did in this draft for a few years, but at first glance, the haul was uninspiring.The Jets walked into the draft with a few major needs at edge rusher, center and cornerback. They may have landed an edge rusher in the third round in Florida’s Jachai Polite, but he comes with red flags about his maturity level and character. Even though he is not an edge rusher, first-round pick Quinnen Williams will help the pass rush by providing pressure up the middle.

Maccagnan did nothing to address the holes at center or cornerback, though. He drafted Rutgers cornerback Blessuan Austin in the sixth round, but the Queens native has had two ACL tears in the past two years and is likely a project.That leaves the Jets right now with Jonotthan Harrison starting at center and Darryl Roberts starting at cornerback. Both of those players were useful backups last year, but now they will be asked to be key contributors. Are they ready for that? Maccagnan had better hope so.There is no debate the Jets’ roster has improved from last year’s 4-12 team. Bell and Mosley alone make it better. The Jets are counting on Darnold to make a leap in Year 2 and for Gase and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams to have an immediate impact through better coaching.Whatever happens this season, it’s all going to come back to Maccagnan. He earned the nickname “Magic Mike” during his first season with the Jets after that spending spree, but the magic feels like it disappeared a long time ago. He’s been more like “Mediocre Mike” over the past few years.

All of that has led to questions about his long-term future as the GM of the Jets. Those questions got loud over the past few days. There was more smoke than fire this time, but Maccagnan needs some wins this fall on the field and from this draft class or the questions about his job security will not go away.

>    https://nypost.com/2019/04/28/mike-maccagnan-isnt-about-to-be-fired-but-he-will-be-on-hot-seat/

re  GM  dept. :

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan says he's open to re-signing free agent CB Mo Claiborne. If that doesn't happen by May 7, he runs the risk of losing him to another team. That's when teams can sign a free agent without having him count toward the compensatory-pick formula. That's why teams are waiting out big-name free agents such as Ndamukong Suh. Claiborne also is rehabbing an undisclosed injury, which also could be causing teams to back off. Come May 7, he may find some suitors. The Jets say they're comfortable with Darryl Roberts as their CB2, but they still need another vet. They didn't address the position in the draft until the sixth round (Blessuan Austin).

>   http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Jets GM: Offers for No. 3 pick weren’t good enough

The New York Jets may have been tempted to trade down from the No. 3 overall pick in the 2019 NFL draft, but no offer came close to tempting them to pass on an elite prospect.

Heading into this year’s draft, rumors were swirling about the Jets being a popular trade-down partner for any team looking to move up to the top of the draft, particularly for one of the top quarterbacks in the class. But with Oklahoma’s Kyler Murray off the board to the Arizona Cardinals at No. 1 overall, it looks like the league wasn’t enamored enough with the other available passers to make a worthy offer for the No. 3 pick.

Speaking on Ian Rapoport’s podcast, Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan made it clear he never got an offer that was worth passing up Alabama defensive lineman Quinnen Williams:

The next quarterback came off the board at No. 6 overall, where the cross-town rival New York Giants opted for Duke’s Daniel Jones over Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins. Nobody moved up the the No. 4 spot (Oakland Raiders) or No. 5 (Tampa Bay Buccaneers) to get ahead of the Giants, who were known to be targeting a franchise quarterback to eventually replace Eli Manning, so it’s clear the Jets weren’t the only ones unsatisfied with potential trade-down offers.

While the Jets certainly could have used additional picks, considering last year’s Sam Darnold trade left them without a second-rounder in this year’s draft, they weren’t willing to move down at a discount. Instead, they opted for Williams, who many believed to be the best overall prospect in the entire draft, regardless of position.

>     https://thejetpress.com/2019/05/02/jets-gm-offers-no-3-pick-werent-good-enough/

Drafting Hackenberg in the 2nd round.  All the pundits had him as a 5th round high-risk gamble, but Mac nailed a franchise QB with the pick to pair with another 2nd round wonder, Devin Smith, making a deadly scoring duo not seen since Ken O'Brien and Wesley Walker.

Wait...what?  Oh yeah, I thought I was in the Mirror Universe again, but apparently I've shifted back to this one.  

Never mind.

Breaking down Jets’ Mike Maccagnan’s NFL Draft stats, tendencies through 5 seasons | Trade history, prospect age, position-by-position, more

Mike Maccagnan just finished his fifth NFL Draft as the Jets’ general manager. He’s now made 34 selections during his time with the team.And as with any GM, Maccagnan has his tendencies. So we crunched the numbers on a number of draft-related topics and laid them all out below.From Maccagnan’s most-drafted positions to prospect age to trade history, here’s a look at the general manager’s track record with the Jets – including a breakdown of how many of his past picks are still with the Jets and an examination of their current roles on the team.

POSITION

Cornerback: 5

Defensive line: 5

Outside linebacker: 4

Wide receiver: 4

Offensive line: 3

Quarterback: 3

Tight end: 3

Inside linebacker: 2

Running back: 2

Safety: 2

Punter: 1

CONFERENCE

SEC: 9

Big 10: 6

ACC: 5

Pac 12: 4

Big 12: 2

Non-Power 5 conferences: 8

SCHOOLS

Three picks: USC

Two picks: Ohio State, Clemson, Florida, Alabama

One pick: West Virginia, Minnesota, Rutgers, Fort Hays State, Miami, Tulane, UConn, Virginia State, LSU, Cal, West Georgia, Louisiana, Michigan, Ole Miss, Penn State, Georgia, N.C. State, South Carolina, Sam Houston State, Louisville, Baylor, Texas A&M, NW State

20 years old: 2

21 years old: 7

22 years old: 10

23 years old: 9

24 years old: 6

ROUND SELECTED

1st: 5

2nd: 3

3rd: 6

4th: 5

5th: 5

6th: 7

7th: 3

TRADES

Trade up: 5

Trade down: 6

Both (multiple picks involved – move up with one, down with another): 3

Trade pick for player: 6 (RB Zac Stacy, WR Brandon Marshall, WR Percy Harvin, OT Ryan Clady, QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, DE Henry Anderson)

CURRENT PLAYER STATUS

(2015-18 picks only - 28 selections)

Still with Jets: 18

With another NFL team: 4

Out of NFL: 6

CURRENT STATUS WITH JETS

Of those 18 players still with the Jets, how many are:

Starters: 7 (Sam Darnold, Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Brandon Shell, Jordan Jenkins, Chris Herndon)

Role players: 5 (Darron Lee, Eli McGuire, Jordan Leggett, Parry Nickerson, Nathan Shepherd)

Reserves/special teams: 6 (Lachlan Edwards, Charone Peake, Trenton Cannon, Derrick Jones, Jeremy Clark, Foley Fatukasi)

https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/05/breaking-down-jets-mike-maccagnans-nfl-draft-stats-tendencies-through-5-seasons-trade-history-prospect-age-position-by-position-more.html

Archived