RoadFan's post-ban thoughts and reflections

RoadFan

I haven't posted since January 5th.  I was issued a two week ban for violation of board rules, justifiably so I might add.   The remainder of the leave of absence has been voluntary.   I have read the board regularly though so I am up to date...

I wanted to share some of my thoughts and reflections from my time away from the interactive side of the board.  I am pretty sure that a few of you are going to make some jokes at my expense, and that is OK.  Have at it...  

First, I believe I had become somewhat addicted to posting here.  It became clear when I placed Adam Gase at the top of my list after John Harbaugh's name could be crossed off.  I was only able to make a couple of positive posts towards him when I first began to think about it.  The next day or so he was my #1 choice and I couldn't make the case because I was banned.  It was rather frustrating at the time...  but a total positive in the long run as the addiction has clearly waned.

Second, I found that reading from a distance gave me a different perspective on posters and how what they say affects others on the board.  The only posters that seem to get noticed at JN have either been here around for ages, contribute something special, or have an unmistakable schtick.   As for most everyone else, a group that includes some really solid and smart posters mind you, it is all just back and forth dialogue that doesn't accomplish much.  Truthfully, many people don't seem to change their mind about much of anything Jets related until they are forced to do so by action on the field or circumstance.  The opinions of other fans typically make little impact.  A disappointing realization to be sure, honestly, but I think it's fairly accurate. 

Which brings me to my next reflection...

The Jets clearly don't listen to us.  Other fans don't budge that often from their stance on things.  So what is the point of all this?  I can only answer that question for me... and I'll get to that shortly...

The only reasons I might have been noteworthy at JN are for my reputation as a condescending jerk, and the other is my utter contempt for free agency, aka fraud agency.  So I am taking this opportunity to say that I now recognize that there is literally zero reason to get into heated arguments with anyone on the board, apologize for my behavior, and to say that I will attempt to make my points minus the speartip in the future.  

And now back to what is the point of spending so much time posting on a message board about what a sports team should or shouldn't do... when what I say and think has no impact on the outcome?  Again... I am just answering for me.  I think the answer is simply sharing a devotion to the New York Jets with others around the world at any time of day.   Maybe that should have been obvious all along?   But I didn't quite get it until now...

Lastly, since I have been away for a while... I might as well sneak in an opinion.  The fraud agency frenzy is beginning to heat up like it does every spring, gross overspending for a collection of JAGs.  I will take this moment to stress yet again which player I feel is the best option to overpay... by far.  Le'Veon Bell. 

That is all...

RF

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I think the answer is simply sharing a devotion to the New York Jets with others around the world at any time of day.   Maybe that should have been obvious all along?   

This is what it should be about for all of us, and for many it is.  I think most of the acrimony and bluster is extraneous, and  the result of the lack of  "nuance" in a post.  For what it's worth, welcome back.

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

The only posters that seem to get noticed at JN have either been here around for ages, contribute something special, or have an unmistakable schtick.   As for most everyone else, a group that includes some really solid and smart posters mind you, it is all just back and forth dialogue that doesn't accomplish much. 

This

4 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Truthfully, many people don't seem to change their mind about much of anything

Had this realization about arguing on the internet years ago. Enjoy my time here much more now.

4 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Second, I found that reading from a distance gave me a different perspective on posters and how what they say affects others on the board.  The only posters that seem to get noticed at JN have either been here around for ages, contribute something special, or have an unmistakable schtick.   As for most everyone else, a group that includes some really solid and smart posters mind you, it is all just back and forth dialogue that doesn't accomplish much.  Truthfully, many people don't seem to change their mind about much of anything Jets related until they are forced to do so by action on the field or circumstance.  The opinions of other fans typically make little impact.  A disappointing realization to be sure, honestly, but I think it's fairly accurate. 

what if the long-time people with the shtick (me) are just right all the time and it’s the meh posters that are very wrong and that’s why they’re unremarkable. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

what if the long-time people with the shtick (me) are just right all the time and it’s the meh posters that are very wrong and that’s why they’re unremarkable. 

When everyone here collectively accepts that you are a different species (<—— obvious joke here), then you can claim to have schtick.

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You very clearly dominate two of his three criteria and might be the worst person here. You able to guess which two?

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

What if the unremarkably wrong posters are remarkable in a shtick-ish sort of way?

Archived