AAF

TuscanyTile2

I think this week is going to be the most telling in terms of whether or not the AAF will survive.  Week 1 was the week after the Superbowl where people were still suffering from football withdrawal.  We used to have the Pro Bowl the week after the Superbowl for this so it's possible that that's where the AAF's ratings in week 1 came from.

Does anyone care?  Of course not!  But at least this gives us some BS to talk about instead of people arguing with each other over butt fumbles.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think this week is going to be the most telling in terms of whether or not the AAF will survive.  Week 1 was the week after the Superbowl where people were still suffering from football withdrawal.  We used to have the Pro Bowl the week after the Superbowl for this so it's possible that that's where the AAF's ratings in week 1 came from.

Does anyone care?  Of course not!  But at least this gives us some BS to talk about instead of people arguing with each other over butt fumbles.

I forgot it existed until I read this thread.

Thanks for the heads up.

I think it depends on the AAF's business model. If they try to keep costs down (look the product isn't bad---the quality of football and the players is ok) there should be an audience and a market. Probably their TV revenue is lower level and to break even they will actually have to draw fans and sell jerseys etc. If you go to a game you're prob going to at least buy a cap, a beer and nachos, etc. If subsidized by the NFL as an official minor league it could be a win win for both leagues. Look if the NFL could pay off Kap 40-80 that kind of money is no object to them and they could have a minor league for a lot less than that. Player development is expensive and this could provide depth and backups and an occasional star like NFLE did at a probably affordable price. 

I'm planning on watching the Hotshots game tonight.  Didn't really watch any games last week (watched bits and pieces here and there).

This time, I'm gonna sit down, dram in hand, and actually watch it, see if it's worth my investment to follow.

Plus, who can't not love those horrid green/yellow uni's?  Remind of my High School, College and the Jets (sorta).  Go Hotshots or something!

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm planning on watching the Hotshots game tonight.  Didn't really watch any games last week (watched bits and pieces here and there).

This time, I'm gonna sit down, dram in hand, and actually watch it, see if it's worth my investment to follow.

Plus, who can't not love those horrid green/yellow uni's?  Remind of my High School, College and the Jets (sorta).  Go Hotshots or something!

I’m just interested in watching Wolford continue his development. He looked good last game. He was never a strong armed guy but pretty accurate and should do well in this lesser league. Good for him.

and might I add that even though it is a lesser league, you can still get a decent idea for who belongs and who doesn’t. It’s clear that Christian Hackenberg shouldn’t even play football..on any level.

30 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m just interested in watching Wolford continue his development. He looked good last game. He was never a strong armed guy but pretty accurate and should do well in this lesser league. Good for him.

and might I add that even though it is a lesser league, you can still get a decent idea for who belongs and who doesn’t. It’s clear that Christian Hackenberg shouldn’t even play football..on any level.

I don't think Singletary is going to have a lot of patience with Hack, he sure didn't when he coached the 49ers. Hack did look better when they let him throw more in the second half. In one series I think they ran the ball something like 10 straight times. But the reason for that was he threw a bad pick and his throws were way off.  He looked very slow setting up even slow for a minor league. And the running game at least for a while was working and Zac Stacy looked pretty good. 

9 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't think Singletary is going to have a lot of patience with Hack, he sure didn't when he coached the 49ers. Hack did look better when they let him throw more in the second half. In one series I think they ran the ball something like 10 straight times. But the reason for that was he threw a bad pick and his throws were way off.  He looked very slow setting up even slow for a minor league. And the running at least for a while was working and Zac Stacy looked pretty good. 

I think Hack has about 2-3 more games to look bad and he’s making the switch. Bad first impressions last. And Zac Stacy looked quicker than he ever did in a Jet uniform.

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think Hack has about 2-3 more games to look bad and he’s making the switch. Bad first impressions last. And Zac Stacy looked quicker than he ever did in a Jet uniform.

Look it's a development league but they still want to win. And there are other Qbs on the roster who are also prospects. Hack played for four NFL orgs in 2018. Mike Martz replaced his starting Qb Mike Bertovicci who looked a lot better than Hack did. I mean Memphis does have Zach Mettenberger who has 10 NFL starts (lost all of them btw).

11 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I think the best course of action to take would be to let Zac Stacy throw the ball more and send Hackenberg home.

Basically you can't give a Qb an unlimited number of starts to learn the position. You never know if Hack started for the Jets for 3 years and lost all of his starts that he wouldn't eventually learn the position. But who wants to lose all of those games when there are Qbs who can win and win now. Any player has to make his mark and make it fast.  There are always going to be new young players drafted to compete.

12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Basically you can't give a Qb an unlimited number of starts to learn the position. You never know if Hack started for the Jets for 3 years and lost all of his starts that he wouldn't eventually learn the position. But who wants to lose all of those games when there are Qbs who can win and win now. Any player has to make his mark and make it fast.  There are always going to be new young players drafted to compete.

In my opinion it has been pretty  well established that "Hack" hasn't "gotten it" and never will.  It is quite possible, in my estimation that it would take in the neighborhood of 1,000 years for him to eventually learn the position. It is reasonable to assume that barring a miracle, or a boatload of points scored by the defense or special teams, that Christian Hackenberg would lose every single game that he is under center.  He must be once, and for all, classified as a "Never Was".

11 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

In my opinion it has been pretty  well established that "Hack" hasn't "gotten it" and never will.  It is quite possible, in my estimation that it would take in the neighborhood of 1,000 years for him to eventually learn the position. It is reasonable to assume that barring a miracle, or a boatload of points scored by the defense or special teams, that Christian Hackenberg would lose every single game that he is under center.  He must be once, and for all, classified as a "Never Was".

I wouldn't go that far 1000 years. But if he gets a chance in the Alliance and plays poorly and performs even in a minor league below that level of play there aren't too many places to go where the speed is going to be much slower.  You just don't get a long period of time to set up and throw accurately and complete plays successfully. There are going be more leagues next year like the XFL, there is Arena Football and the CFL. He does have a big arm and that's the attraction to teams. 

37 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Looking forward to the Apollos vs. Commanders game.  I think the commanders are going to surprise people and come away with the W.

I'd watch since Orlando is our "local" team, but that game is on CBSSN and I would have to alter my Directv subscription, and the AAF simply isn't worth doing that for me.....so thats a huge fail for the league. If your product isn't readily accessible to its audience, it will die. 

3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I'd watch since Orlando is our "local" team, but that game is on CBSSN and I would have to alter my Directv subscription, and the AAF simply isn't worth doing that for me.....so thats a huge fail for the league. If your product isn't readily accessible to its audience, it will die. 

I believe they stream every game on Youtube for free.

16 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I'm visiting my brother in Florida (Daytona) in about a week and we wanted to go to an Apollos game for sure. But our dates no home games scheduled unfortunately. I saw a deal on Travelzoo for half price tickets. And prob if you go to the game can buy even cheaper outside the stadium. I can remember years ago for the old WLAF Knights coupons for cheap tickets on milk cartons. btw many of their games are on NFLN and I think at least one on TNT. Not sure about streaming live on Youtube. I think last week on the league site they streamed one game free, not sure. Here is the TV schedule I could find for week 2: 

Saturday, February 16
Salt Lake Stallions (0-1) at Birmingham Iron (1-0), 2 p.m. (TNT)
Arizona Hotshots (1-0) at Memphis Express (0-1), 8 p.m. (NFL Network)

Sunday, February 17
Orlando Apollos (1-0) at San Antonio Commanders (1-0), 4 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
Atlanta Legends (0-1) at San Diego Fleet (0-1), 8 p.m. (NFL Network)

I never really liked Steve Spurrier all that much. No specific reason I have nothing against the guy. I guess based on his interviews etc. But I just read an article from the past about him when he was the Qb of the Bucs. He clashed with John McKay over the offense and was against him starting his son JK as Wr.  He thought it was about favoritism not because JK earned the starting position. And the way the story goes Spurrier threw passes to him over the middle on purpose so he would get blasted by Dbs. Now JK is an official in the Alliance and Spurrier is HC of the Apollos. 

46 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

yea I had a hard time finding the CBSSN game last week, didn't even know that channel existed but apparently I'm paying for it. smh

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Boy, you really are a "Hard Core" football fan.  Kudos.

I don't watch any other sports anymore. I used to be into baseball and hockey but lost interest for different reasons. Not sure I qualify as a hard core football fan but it's really the only sport I enjoy watching. For some reason college ball has never peaked my interest.

I was pleasantly surprised and genuinely enjoyed the AAF games last week. The talent level is clearly a step below the NFL but it's not terrible and there were some great plays made. Some of these guys will definitely be on NFL teams in the fall. The quality of the broadcast itself was surprisingly good. The refs were mostly unnoticed and they actually allowed hits on the QB. It kind of reminded me of what the NFL used to be.

Looking forward to watching the Hot Shots again. Wolford vs Hack, what's not to like? Also, the WR Ross looked really good. I know he was on the Redskins a couple years back and scored a return TD against the Giants...wonder if he can play his way back into the league. Then there's Gwachum, McDougal and Folk too. Lots of Jets related storylines in this game.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived