New York Jets are faced with a fascinating Jason Myers decision

Gas2No99

kickers can win games and lose them.  good ones are important but it also looks like many have up and down seasons.  folk had a down season before the jets picked him and he performed well for the few seasons he was here.  the situation exists with myers.  imo they should sign him but not a crazy big contract.  the weather can be a huge factor in the meadowlads and this past seaosn conditions were mostly good.

The Patriots tagged Gostkowski twice now I believe? We have the money, just tag him for a year & call it a day. That way if he has a mental break down which many of them do we can sh*tcan him. 

2019 is all about TDs anyway, we'll be paying him pretty damn good to hit extra points, which if I remember right he missed a few those though right?

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

The Patriots tagged Gostkowski twice now I believe? We have the money, just tag him for a year & call it a day. That way if he has a mental break down which many of them do we can sh*tcan him. 

2019 is all about TDs anyway, we'll be paying him pretty damn good to hit extra points, which if I remember right he missed a few those though right?

No.  We don't want to do that.  The cost to "Franchise Tag"  Meyers would be 4.94 million dollars.  The "Transition" tag number would be nearly as onerous at 4.93 million.  The way to go here is  to offer him a front loaded two year contract with a salary in the 3-3.25 million dollar range.  That should get the job done.  If not go shopping.  The reason Gostkowski has been tagged twice is he has been long recognized as the best kicker in the league.  Myers has not been that. I was surprised to learn that kickers are often "tagged".  The reason is that it is such a transient position and the lower paid kickers make almost no money, compared to other positions.

There is no way I am paying a kicker $4 - $5 mil unless I know he is a guy who is money late in the 4th quarter with the game on the line.  Myers had a great season for us, 6 of 7 from over 50 yards is incredible, but he never had to make a big kick late in a tight game.  Nick Folk did not have the leg that Myers has, but with Folk, you knew he was the same kicker, down 16-14 with 30 seconds left in a playoff game as he was in the first quarter of week 3.  If we can bring Myers back for a reasonable contract (~$3MM) I am fine with it, but I am not breaking the bank for him.

19 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Almost as futile as putting together 1,200 posts telling everyone how lousy a certain All Pro player is.

He sucks. We need to build the team from the inside out. 

I'm kidding. We need to build the team in every way possible...unless we can get 20 day 2 draft picks somewhere. 

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

There is no way I am paying a kicker $4 - $5 mil unless I know he is a guy who is money late in the 4th quarter with the game on the line.  Myers had a great season for us, 6 of 7 from over 50 yards is incredible, but he never had to make a big kick late in a tight game.  Nick Folk did not have the leg that Myers has, but with Folk, you knew he was the same kicker, down 16-14 with 30 seconds left in a playoff game as he was in the first quarter of week 3.  If we can bring Myers back for a reasonable contract (~$3MM) I am fine with it, but I am not breaking the bank for him.

2mil tops. Most of the time you can get kickers that were in a funk for cheap. A good kicker could go into a funk at anytime. Kickers are streaky like that. 

11 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

2mil tops. Most of the time you can get kickers that were in a funk for cheap. A good kicker could go into a funk at anytime. Kickers are streaky like that. 

That's not going to get it done.  Refer to the chart and then slot Meyers against kickers with his status and experience.  You'll end up somewhere around the 3million dollar value. I'm not willing to let 1million dollars stand between having a similarly productive year at the position next year and beyond versus what we saw happen this past season in Chicago, Rams, Vikings, and Tampa.  Would you?

2 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Myers won me a fantasy game when he had that 27 point game.  

Sign

thus

Beast

2 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

That's not going to get it done.  Refer to the chart and then slot Meyers against kickers with his status and experience.  You'll end up somewhere around the 3million dollar value. I'm not willing to let 1million dollars stand between having a similarly productive year at the position next year and beyond versus what we saw happen this past season in Chicago, Rams, Vikings, and Tampa.  Would you?

Myers made 700k last year so I agree with you.

We should get a guy like him again. 

Long term deals with Kickers are a recipe for disaster. The Franchise Tag would be the least risky move they could make with Myers. It's easy to say just bring in another guy for a fraction of the cost but you can't expect the same production or close to what Myers gave in 2018. And a poor kicker will cost you games. I think if he backs up 2018 with another great performance in 2019 then and only then do you consider a long term deal.

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

Trade back, recoup a 2nd, and draft a kicker. Mike Nugent is still "kicking around". When was the last time a Jets 2nd round pick lasted this long in the league?

?

Trading back I like.  Drafting a kicker, not so much.  The best college kickers are projected to go in the 4th to 6th round range.  There is a reason for that.  College kickers are rarely successful right away in the pros.  They either have accuracy issues, distance issues or both.  Maybe it's a maturity thing I don't know.  Could be that the college game gives them less of an opportunity to flourish.  I checked out the best college kickers in the upcoming draft and they seemed to illustrate this phenomenon.  Some had distance issues, some accuracy issues.  None seemed to have mastered both with a high degree  of success. Risking a pick in this year's draft on a kicker does not make sense.  If he was underwhelming in camp, his draft status would make him a difficult cut, forcing him into a roster spot, for at least the season and beyond.  The best reason for maintaining Myers is continuity.  The kicking game was the most stable unit on the team.  With all of the changes and roster turnover this coming season, it would be  refreshing to have some continuity in at least one area of the team.  Since money is not an issue this year at least, a few dollars extra spent on a kicker of Myers caliber is a good investment.  Nugent's longevity is surprising and unimpressive.  He has mostly stunk in the league, and is a bad reminder to all Jet fans in respect to his draft status.?

As a Marist grad ('94), I'm all about Marist being represented in the NFL.

But because of the Marist connection I followed Myers since he's been in the league and this year was definitely the anomaly.  I was shocked at how good of a year he had and would be hesitant about paying him big bucks.

He literally had one good year...maybe Boyer coached him up.

Archived