Brief history of RB salary-to-team sucess. VIDEO

Villain The Foe

Interesting.  The Jets are not going to spend 29.5 Million Dollars on edge rushers in free agency, nor should they have to. Trey Flowers is not a 15 million dollar player, sorry.  Much of his roster reconstruction depends on the Jaguars trading up to our #3 for a QB {Haskins?},  I like that, but if it  happens remains to be seen.  Plus the haul for such a move is a bit extreme, we are not getting back what we surrendered last year to move up, that is not going to happen. Free agent choices, make sense, notwithstanding the edge rusher fascination. Address it in the draft.  As for the cuts, I would keep Luvu, Sterling, Martin, and Harrison.  They are all useful players and not expensive.  I am surprised about the love he shows for Elijah McGuire. I like him too and don't understand why posters here tear him up the way they do.  However he is not a 1A back, and would like to draft a "feature" back at a little higher than the fourth round. Also, why wait until the 7th round to draft a wide receiver.  If that's the plan, why bother?  A UFA would be just as good.

Interesting I watched this video this morning. He take in Running backs and wanting to spend 30 mill on two meh Edge Rushers.

Flowers is the best of the two., I don't think we should sign Henry Anderson at 8 mill to be a rotation 3 technic. The trade down makes sense if we get an offer?

This list is skewed by the fact that the Patriots are always in the superbowl. Bell is also more than just a running back - he's a big time receiving back who is dangerous in the open field aka a playmaker. Defensive coordinators will need to game plan on slowing down Bell which will open up other guys on the offense.

The discussion is more nuanced than looking at cap space for the position like this.

I like his thinking about building the team from the inside  out. You have to build an offensive line for the future and not have to interchange its pieces every year. But I don’t like McGuire enough to make him our go to back. McGuire can catch passes out of the backfield but he has no burst when he gets handed the ball and he can’t usually make the first tackler miss. I would be fine with the off-season discribed here but Jets are gonna have lots of competition for Paradis and Humphries and Flowers. 

Brady taking less than he should and the Patriots being in the Super Bowl kinda skews the numbers. I'm not saying that you instantly add top paid RBs to the Super Bowl picture but a QB taking 1/2 of what he should is critical. 

IMO the RB position is the best way to get you into the dance that is the playoffs, from there it will rely on the QB. I think a better stat would be how many top paid RBs make the playoffs, too many independent variables to consider when trying to look at teams with the highest paid X at a position.

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Brady taking less than he should and the Patriots being in the Super Bowl kinda skews the numbers. I'm not saying that you instantly add top paid RBs to the Super Bowl picture but a QB taking 1/2 of what he should is critical. 

IMO the RB position is the best way to get you into the dance that is the playoffs, from there it will rely on the QB. I think a better stat would be how many top paid RBs make the playoffs, too many independent variables to consider when trying to look at teams with the highest paid X at a position.

historically the quickest way to improve a team's offense is to upgrade the running back.  the rb's haven't been getting as much love because teams are throwing a lot more and their careers aren't very long.  and rb's now have to be much better pass blockers.  that's one of the great things that martin was able to do.  but it all interplays.  the oline helps the qb and rb and vice versa.  guys like brady get rid of the ball very quickly and that makes their oline players look much better.

6 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This list is skewed by the fact that the Patriots are always in the superbowl. Bell is also more than just a running back - he's a big time receiving back who is dangerous in the open field aka a playmaker. Defensive coordinators will need to game plan on slowing down Bell which will open up other guys on the offense.

The discussion is more nuanced than looking at cap space for the position like this.

The Pats is SB appearances doesn't skew it. The Pats have RB's on their team. 

Also, Bell is a running back. That's his position. What he does on the field doesnt change his position. 

DC's gameplan every game for every offense they face. All that game planning didnt lift the Steelers to any superbowls. 

There's a bit more relevancy here. Nothing I would say is written in stone, but something worth taking notice. This doesnt mean we dont pick up Bell. But he plays a position that seems to produce top 3 RB's in the draft every year and Bell was easily replaced. 

27 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Also, Bell is a running back. That's his position. What he does on the field doesnt change his position. 

DC's gameplan every game for every offense they face. All that game planning didnt lift the Steelers to any superbowls. 

There's a bit more relevancy here. Nothing I would say is written in stone, but something worth taking notice. This doesnt mean we dont pick up Bell. But he plays a position that seems to produce top 3 RB's in the draft every year and Bell was easily replaced. 

The Pats have the best coach of all time and one of the best QB's of all time who plays for a discount. That's why they are consistently competing for superbowls. The fact that they win without paying RB's is irrelevant and absolutely skews this analysis. 

Bell creates problems for defenses that most RB do not. 

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I will make my extensive case for Bell again at another time.  I know the bold is a popular sentiment, but I don't believe it is true.   I was surprised by how many felt CJ Anderson was really filling in for Todd Gurley.  The Rams offense was not the same.  I am not super big on metrics stuff, and believe the eye ball test is more important.  But it does have some merit.   Whatever case the guy below is making, says Conner did not replace Bell all that adequately.  Conner is pretty good, but Bell is significantly superior in my opinion.   I think the nature of running back statistics plays a role in minimizing the real dropoff from star to backup... or starter to backup. 

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/02/15/leveon-bell-trade-rumors-nfl-free-agency-james-conner/stories/201902140182

Meh, terrible video and premise.  Using the Super Bowl winner to equate the value of a RB is absolutely one of the most moronic assessments I've ever seen.  Only 1 team wins the Super Bowl every year and you cant use the Pats roster structure as to why not to pay for a RB.  He also didnt include the RB who has the biggest cap hit for the Pats, White and then Burkhead.  and then he does it again, using Bolden and not Blount as his example for 2016.   He also conveniently leaves out how the Eagles traded for RB mid season during their Super Bowl run.  

And then homeboy uses the cap hit vs. playoff appearances and shrugs off the recent trend and more focused on the data from years ago to prove his point. 

Dumb

Archived