Do the Jets pickup Darron Lees 5th year option?

WayneChrebet80

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the BIG DEAL w/switching to the 4-3. If the Jets were to have stayed in the 3-4, I'd say NO WAY IN HADES! 

But now we get to see him in a system AND position better suited to his natural talents. The option can always be rescinded, but Lee's performance in the 4-3 will be crucial as to whether he can stick in the NFL  - it's his best fit and hopefully we'll see that 2015 Natl' Champ MVP performance EVERY week w/a clean bottle of piss to boot. 

His status as a perennial "whipping boy" is somewhat undeserved.  Yes, he is undersized, so why was he continually played out of position and set up for failure by the previous "coaching" staff?  He pursues the ball well, and is fairly competent in coverage, but gets washed out when caught up in blocking schemes with more physical, stronger linemen.  Is this a surprise to anyone, outside  of "Toilet Bowles"  and  "Kacey and the Sunshine Band"?  The Greg Williams Defense is more well suited to his skills and a competent Coaching Staff will put him in a position to succeed and not fail.  Nine Million Dollars is not a lot of money, especially in 2020.  Go for it.

I think they'll pick it up, they likely want to see him in Williams's defense before letting him walk. Ideally they pick it up, he looks good, and the Jets extend him without hitting the $9M cap figure.

Worst case we cut him after the season and only lose the comp pick we would have received for him.

21 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

He's 215  pounds and he's awful at pass coverage. His natural position is saftey and he'd suck at that also

C'mon he's under size for a 3-4 ILB, but he's perfect for a 4-3 WIL. He's much better in coverage now, even PFF did an article prising his coverage skills.

Hes never going to be great, but he will do a good job in the new scheme.   

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

C'mon he's under size for a 3-4 ILB, but he's perfect for a 4-3 WIL. He's much better in coverage now, even PFF did an article prising his coverage skills.

Hope I'm wrong. I trend negative. I never liked the pick because he ******* sucks at pass coverage and is tiny. If he fits in the new scheme you can bump this and I'll say sorry. I think the guy is a waste of a first round pick but would rather be the idiot on this one than be right

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

We have better options internally on the roster.  Neville Hewitt was significantly better

Jordan Hicks, CJ Mosley, Kwon Alexander, Brandon Marshall, and Denzel Perryman will all be free agents this year and each of those guys is infinitely better than Lee. Add to that the fact that Lee is a soft, weird flake that Greg Williams is going to despise, and it’s just not a good idea. 

This is going to be such an interesting year. While Lee was constantly washed out by good opposing coaches, (I swear in the 1st game with the Pats they ran right at Lee continuously with great success), I think we're going to find out that Bowles & especially Rogers were incompetent BOOBS. You know Williams & his staff are already reviewing film & like Tom Shane said there are numerous LBs who have already had great success in the NFL. 

We have a lot of money, what we do when free agency begins will answer the Lee question. If we sign any one of those LBs, Lee is a dead man.

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

We have better options internally on the roster.  Neville Hewitt was significantly better

While it’s always dangerous to be seduced by an impressive few games cameo(Wayne Hunter anyone) this is true. Hewitt impressed and there was no noticeable drop off at the position. This coupled with the suspension may be the critical factors here. I’m not a Lee hater and think he’s just another classic whipping boy, much like Demario Davis was first time around, so hoping that under Williams he can flourish

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I like Hewitt a lot.  There is not a choice to be made here.  Obviously the Jets can keep both.  This is a make or break year for Lee obviously.  Let's see how he does under Williams.  We will know soon enough... Won't take four years with this "sheriff" in town, that's for sure.

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jordan Hicks, CJ Mosley, Kwon Alexander, Brandon Marshall, and Denzel Perryman will all be free agents this year and each of those guys is infinitely better than Lee. Add to that the fact that Lee is a soft, weird flake that Greg Williams is going to despise, and it’s just not a good idea. 

We own Lee this year and he is cheap.  I can’t see him being on the team long term. Gase and Williams are not going to like him. 

These LBs are all better than Lee.  Sign at least 2 and Lee costs as much as a back up.  Lee will be motivated.   Let him play well then trade and let him walk. 

The Leo story is the same.  Neither of these guys are worth second contracts. 

I am not a Mac supporter but the Lee pick was clearly made by Bowles request for the type of LB Lee was supposed to become. It didnt work because Lee's football instincts are terrible. He smokes too much and I see that getting worse with Gregg Williams turning up the pressure. He runs fast but too often in the wrong direction. At this point his ceiling is jag at best. He needs to be moved.

7 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

2020 salary would be around 9MM for Lee which is way too much IMO. 

The Jets could always pick up his option to retain his rights as the salary is not guaranteed until the start of the next league year unless Lee gets hurt. 

It's a good question? What we know is that at least 3 years into his career he's nothing better than a 2nd day pick. With the drug suspension it makes him that much more of a liability. Besides, Hack this is one of Mac's very worst picks. The fact is, that entire draft was very seriously mismanaged. There's no possible way the Jets are going to pay the little guy 9 million. There's no way to possibly justify it.

There's one glimmer of hope IMO to salvage Lee. First of all, we know Mac and Bowles seriously botched this pick in that Lee is a 4-3 player. He was never big enough to play in a 3-4. They essentially drafted a square peg for a round hole. So this is not 100% Lee's fault.

He'll get the chance to play in Williams 4-3 defense and maybe (and I do stress MAYBE) Williams can make a decent player out of him. But for that to happen there's 3 things Lee must do:

1) Play MUCH better than his first 3 years would represent. Like I said, 3 years into his career he's not even close to justifying being taken with the 20th overall.

2) He'd better get sober and stay that way. He's a pot head and there's no way anyone is going to tell me that he has a problem with addiction? He has a problem with laziness. He smoked pot all the while knowing he would be drug tested and eventually fail. He didn't care. He placed his own personal wants over the team.

3) Assuming the first two do actually happen, Lee will need to take a pay cut to stay with the Jets. There's no earthly way at this moment that his play justifies exercising that option.

30 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I thought Lee was playing better this year and I think he will be an outside LB on the weak side in Williams defense, which may suit his strength better.

What strength? That he’s quick? Other than that what would you say he’s actually good at? He’s invisible against the run. He’s poor in coverage. There is absolutely no way they should pick up that option. It’s money down the drain. Easily replaceable for much les money. 

8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think they do. He improved this year. 

He’ll have to do spectacular if he wants an extension though.

he’s not popular on this board but realistically I think they pick up his option. Who else do they have?

its not even just that they dont have anyone, because they will definitely be LB shopping in FA but i think his speed and style of play fits particularly well in what Greg Williams wants to do here. It's not just the switch to the 4-3 that helps him (even though its a much more natural fit) its the way Greg uses his LB's in coverage that makes him a good fit here. 

8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think they do. He improved this year. 

He’ll have to do spectacular if he wants an extension though.

he’s not popular on this board but realistically I think they pick up his option. Who else do they have?

I'd have to see him in the 4-3 1st. I like Lee but $9 mil is a LOT of money.

Archived