JetNation Prospect Preview: Alabama Defensive Tackle Quinnen Williams

JetNation

quinnen-williams.jpg

By: Dylan Tereman

Just a few weeks away from the 2019 NFL Combine, the draft begins to come more into focus. Currently, the New York Jets are selecting 3rd overall. Many are expecting them to trade back and acquire more picks, while still remaining at the top end of the draft. For these prospect profiles, we will assume New York is staying at 3. Alabama’s Quinnen Williams is a name that has been mocked to them numerous times in the last few weeks.

Williams, listed at 6’4” 295 lbs, was a force on the interior of the defensive line for the Crimson Tide. He displayed the ability to play against both the run and the pass, and looks to be an anchor for whichever team drafts him. Williams should hear his name called in the top five in a few months.

Name: Quinnen Williams

College: Alabama

Position: DT

2018 Stats:

71 tackles (45 solo), 19.5 TFL, 8 sacks, 1 PD

Strengths:

His ability to use speed off the snap, then transfer his power into his legs and arms is what makes Williams so special. He has a dominant skill set, using his quick hands to swat away blockers. Coming from Alabama under head coach Nick Saban, Quinnen has excellent football IQ, allowing him to breakdown plays quickly.

Weaknesses:

While there are very few weaknesses in his game, Williams is sometimes susceptible to the double team, which he may see more of at the pro level. Occasionally, he will over pursue on plays, giving up big yardage, but experience will only make him more aware of those situations.

Scheme Fit:

Williams has displayed versatility across the defensive line, playing the 0-technique all the way to the 4i, which means he can excel in almost any scheme. Adding him to the interior line in New York that already has Leonard Williams, the Jets could field an impressive tandem. While it isn’t a flashy pick at 3rd overall, the Jets have many holes to fill and Quinnen Williams is a day 1 starter who will have an immediate impact no matter where he lands.

The post JetNation Prospect Preview: Alabama Defensive Tackle Quinnen Williams appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
R6NHnKYnPPo

Click here to read the full story...

5 hours ago, JetNation said:

Scheme Fit:

Williams has displayed versatility across the defensive line, playing the 0-technique all the way to the 4i, which means he can excel in almost any scheme. Adding him to the interior line in New York that already has Leonard Williams, the Jets could field an impressive tandem. While it isn’t a flashy pick at 3rd overall, the Jets have many holes to fill and Quinnen Williams is a day 1 starter who will have an immediate impact no matter where he lands.

So much for the "narrative" that drafting Quinnen Williams would facilitate the departure of Leonard Williams at a reduced rate.  More like a significant  addition to aid in the resurrection of Leo's flagging potential. Visions of what a Wilkerson / Richardson tandem should have looked like. A "Swiss Army Knife" like tool to give Greg Williams an arsenal to terrorize Offenses for years to come.  A disruptive interior defense in addition to pressure from the edges will give offenses nowhere to go.  Just a Defensive Tackle?  I beg to differ.

I read someones post about this guy being overrated and all that but I'm good with taking him. I listened to some podcast jets locked on, not sure if anyone has heard it, it's actually pretty hard to listen to but hey its Feb and I'm desperate for jets anything,  anyway they had some scout on and had a hard on for him. The tall was he would be great pick at three, but I still think move back and grab some more pick including next year 1st. But I dont know 

To tell you the truth, and this is going to hurt some of your eyes, I’m warming up to Quinnen Williams relatively quickly. If we are forced to pick at #3 and Bosa is gone.(which he will be) then this won’t turn my stomach as bad as any other D prospect. 

Quinnen has such a high floor but I need our pick to impact the freakin’ game on a consistent basis and move the needle for our roster in some manner. Can he do that? Will he be that dominant on the pro level?

I wish the answer was easy.

I'm sure Quinnen Williams will be a good player but it's a very unexciting pick. Especially after using a million first round picks on defense already. 

If we cannot trade back, and we are forced to stick at 3 I'd rather take Jonah Williams. We have to focus on the offense and I think you gotta help protect Darnold. Williams is a projected top 6 pick so I don't think it's much of a reach at all.  

If jets aren't high on Williams and are forced to go defense I'd rather draft Josh Allen. Jets haven't had someone who can get at the QB since John Abraham. A pass rusher is more important than getting an interior defensive lineman IMO.

5 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I'm sure Quinnen Williams will be a good player but it's a very unexciting pick. Especially after using a million first round picks on defense already. 

If we cannot trade back, and we are forced to stick at 3 I'd rather take Jonah Williams. We have to focus on the offense and I think you gotta help protect Darnold. Williams is a projected top 6 pick so I don't think it's much of a reach at all.  

If jets aren't high on Williams and are forced to go defense I'd rather draft Josh Allen. Jets haven't had someone who can get at the QB since John Abraham. A pass rusher is more important than getting an interior defensive lineman IMO.

Jets are going after TWO pass rusher said in free agency. If we're stuck at 3 Quinnen Williams is the pick and gives Williams a dominant front 4 which is the ONLY way to put Brady out to pasture. 

Oline & passrushers, top two targets in free agency. Even if one of them is a bit older. Gase needs to come out swinging this year from the opener & to remain in a playoff hunt. We're not going to waste Darnolds talents. 

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im not sure if folks noticed, but he plays defense, and plays the same position as Leonard Williams...a guy we took with the 6th pick just a few years back. 

How about we pick a different position, but one on the other side of the ball? 

Just a thought. 

But Jonah Williams is only a top 5 talent not a top 3. It would be too big of a reach to pick him 2 picks early. 

Please get Sam Darnold all the help and protection he can get. 

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

To tell you the truth, and this is going to hurt some of your eyes, I’m warming up to Quinnen Williams relatively quickly. If we are forced to pick at #3 and Bosa is gone.(which he will be) then this won’t turn my stomach as bad as any other D prospect. 

Quinnen has such a high floor but I need our pick to impact the freakin’ game on a consistent basis and move the needle for our roster in some manner. Can he do that? Will he be that dominant on the pro level?

I wish the answer was easy.

I have seen a lot of video and he throws guys around like sacks of wheat. It is mouth watering. But I have to remember that he is throwing college guys around like sacks of whet.

6 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Williams is a projected top 6 pick so I don't think it's much of a reach at all.  

Is he? Because I haven’t seen this at all. I want him to be a top 5 pick but he has work to do at the combine.

i don’t want to draft defense either but, hell, if Jonah can’t show that he’s a top 5 prospect then idk. It’s the inside of the OL that needs the most fixing. Center and Guard will get fixed in FA just like 4-3 Edge can.

It all depends on FA.

No, no, and no to a DT at #3. I'd need crystal-ball reassurances that he will in fact become Aaron Donald. Since that isn't a reality, then no.

If he's so wonderful, then surely other teams will be pushing each other out of the way for the opportunity, and we can pick lower in round 1 and pick up an extra 1st rounder in the process. Let another team do a D-Rob trade up and surrender the value of picks #13 and #22 and #116 all in this current draft  (or the value of all that if one or more returned picks is to be in the 2020 draft).

Another DT isn't worth all that unless we're getting Aaron Donald at $9MM/year instead of his recently-inked $23MM/year. Not on a team with this many holes he isn't.

Build around Donald. If Gregg is such a defensive savant he can make do with only one top-6 overall pick DT lol. 

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Is he? Because I haven’t seen this at all. I want him to be a top 5 pick but he has work to do at the combine.

i don’t want to draft defense either but, hell, if Jonah can’t show that he’s a top 5 prospect then idk. It’s the inside of the OL that needs the most fixing. Center and Guard will get fixed in FA just like 4-3 Edge can.

It all depends on FA.

I’ve seen him going 1st he’s always in the top. 

Completely agree, go offense.  

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah this pretty much sums it up for me. It’s hard being stuck at #3 and it’s going to be even more difficult to make a pick there.

The only crystal ball assurance we have this year is that if we pick defense at 3, there'll be plenty of complaining! :D 

14 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It all depends on FA.

I've seen mocks with Jonah Williams at 15. I'm actually praying the Redskins want to jump from 15 to 3. We might have to take less than what the chart says but if we get a #1 next year too, it will be worth it! Some here want to take DK Metcalf at 3 when he might be there at 15. We need draft picks to follow up the free agents we'll sign soon.

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, no, and no to a DT at #3. I'd need crystal-ball reassurances that he will in fact become Aaron Donald. Since that isn't a reality, then no.

If he's so wonderful, then surely other teams will be pushing each other out of the way for the opportunity, and we can pick lower in round 1 and pick up an extra 1st rounder in the process. Let another team do a D-Rob trade up and surrender the value of picks #13 and #22 and #116 all in this current draft  (or the value of all that if one or more returned picks is to be in the 2020 draft).

Another DT isn't worth all that unless we're getting Aaron Donald at $9MM/year instead of his recently-inked $23MM/year. Not on a team with this many holes he isn't.

Build around Donald. If Gregg is such a defensive savant he can make do with only one top-6 overall pick DT lol. 

You sound like there will be zero free agent signings. Everything depends on who we sign in free agency. We could sign Trent Brown & Paradis and take a guard at the top of the 3rd. No one knows yet, so flat out denying a Quinnen Williams pick is silly at this point.

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I've seen mocks with Jonah Williams at 15. I'm actually praying the Redskins want to jump from 15 to 3. We might have to take less than what the chart says but if we get a #1 next year too, it will be worth it! Some here want to take DK Metcalf at 3 when he might be there at 15. We need draft picks to follow up the free agents we'll sign soon.

That’s about where I’ve seen him 10-15 range. Idk  if going top 5-8 is going to happen. We need a trade back really badly agreed.

8 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I read someones post about this guy being overrated and all that but I'm good with taking him. I listened to some podcast jets locked on, not sure if anyone has heard it, it's actually pretty hard to listen to but hey its Feb and I'm desperate for jets anything,  anyway they had some scout on and had a hard on for him. The tall was he would be great pick at three, but I still think move back and grab some more pick including next year 1st. But I dont know 

I did not want another interior DL but this guy is really really good

3 minutes ago, maury77 said:

If Bosa and Allen go 1&2 and the Jets can't trade back, I won't hate the Williams pick. It's not my preference, but it is what it is. 

Think of the fun - you can have Williams and Williams both playing well under Williams! :-) 

I defer to greater football minds than mine to determine whether it is responsible to pay both Williams in this defense.  It could be a great idea and allow the Jets to use lower cost players on the edge.  It could also mean we let Leo go.  

But if Quinnen is that good better off taking him than reaching for Jonah.  

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

I defer to greater football minds than mine to determine whether it is responsible to pay both Williams in this defense.  It could be a great idea and allow the Jets to use lower cost players on the edge.  It could also mean we let Leo go.  

But if Quinnen is that good better off taking him than reaching for Jonah.  

Unfortunately the Jets greater football minds are handicapped. 

3 hours ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

But Jonah Williams is only a top 5 talent not a top 3. It would be too big of a reach to pick him 2 picks early. 

Please get Sam Darnold all the help and protection he can get. 

I generally see him getting mocked in the 15-20 range, not top five. Jawaan Taylor is consistently rated higher. 

Archived