The Gap is closing....or not....

JustInFudge

Not a huge surprise here.  Putting Brady up vs. 2 rookies.  

However, the more interesting part of this data is how well our new QB whisperer Head Coach did down in Miami.  I mean, he really improved Tannehill's game.  So that's encouraging.  When you think about how toxic the chemistry of the coaching staff is before even starting the job, this type of data really makes you excited for the future!!!

https://sports.yahoo.com/pff-grades-show-hilariously-big-194552272.html

PFF grades show hilariously big gap between Tom Brady, other AFC East QBs originally appeared on nbcsportsboston.com

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is the best quarterback in the AFC East. Duh, we already knew that. But how much of a gap exists between the six-time Super Bowl champion and the rest of the AFC East quarterbacks?

Well, Pro Football Focus unveiled Tuesday their AFC East quarterback grades for the 2018 season, and the gap between Brady and the No. 2 QB is gigantic. Check out the full grades in the tweet below:

I mean – this one wasn't a question, right?

2018's highest-graded quarterbacks in the AFC East

The lack of quality quarterbacks in the division certainly helped the Patriots go 5-1 against their AFC East rivals in the 2018 regular season, with their only loss coming against the Dolphins in Miami on that miraculous game-ending play.

There is some hope for the Buffalo Bills and New York Jets, however. The Jets took Sam Darnold and the Bills selected Josh Allen in the top 10 of the 2018 NFL Draft, and both quarterbacks showed positive signs throughout their rookie campaigns. 

Still, it's going to take a while for any of these guys to give Brady any competition for the best quarterback in the AFC East, even as he enters his age-42 season in 2019.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

They rank Allen ahead of Darnold, lol, Jets Fans everywhere (who think Darnold is already a top 2-3 Franchise QB) now ultra-triggered!

Yeah Allen finished ahead of Darnold in just about every rating system, though Darnold did finish strong

and the knuckle heads on here keep laughing at Allen, I almost want him to succeed as much I want Darnold to

3 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Yeah Allen finished ahead of Darnold in just about every rating system, though Darnold did finish strong

and the knuckle heads on here keep laughing at Allen, I almost want him to succeed as much I want Darnold to

I don't.  He's the enemy.

I just lol at the folks here who were so adamant (and mass buttfulbled anyone who disagreed) that Darnold, today, is one of the top 2-3 QB's in the NFL.

Brady’s brain alone will keep him at the top but I’ve noticed more interceptions from him in big games. His athletic skills are starting to deteriorate. If there is any slip in his offensive line Brady could have a major PFF ratings slip. Yes Darnolds rating will go up also. Yes the gap will close considerably next season. I can see Brady with an 85ish score and Darnold with an 80ish score. 

2 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Darnold post injury was very good.  He looked every bit the part from every aspect of the game.

The unfortunate part for Jets fans was, after the Jets game, so did Allen.   Dude had 5 TD's in week 17 vs.  Miami.   224 in the air, 95 on the ground.  Bills lead rusher on the season too.  Whereas, Darnold ended the season on a goose egg vs. the Patriots.

But dont worry, wait till Gase gets his hands on him and improves his game drastically the same way he did with Tannehill.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't.  He's the enemy.

I just lol at the folks here who were so adamant (and mass buttfulbled anyone who disagreed) that Darnold, today, is one of the top 2-3 QB's in the NFL.

You forgot the zeros.

Top 20-30 QB in the NFL.

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

They rank Allen ahead of Darnold, lol, Jets Fans everywhere (who think Darnold is already a top 2-3 Franchise QB) now ultra-triggered!

I’m ultra triggered but only because I know Allen isn’t better lol. I don’t think Darnold is top 5, 10 or 15 but damn...in what universe is 52% completion 10 TDs/12 INTs better than what Darnold did?

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I think we will much improved this coming year. Darnold will take a big step forward and the talent around him will be much better. Equally important is the upgrade in our coaching staff. 

You can say what you want about Gase vs. McCarthy vs. Kingsbury, but there is no question Gase>>>>>>>Bowles

Based on the data provided, Bowles/Bates >>>>>>>>> Gase.  Homeboy had 2 veterans to work with and barely got them over the dregs of the NFL.  Bowles/Gates had a rookie and had him scoring 20 points higher. 

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m ultra triggered but only because I know Allen isn’t better lol. I don’t think Darnold is top 5, 10 or 15 but damn...in what universe is 52% completion 10 TDs/12 INTs better than what Darnold did?

In the universe that he also added 8 TD's on the ground and won more games, I'm guessing.  That said, I'd take Darnold 10 times out of 10 over Allen.  

13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Apparently the much vaunted PFF one?

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

In the universe that he also added 8 TD's on the ground and won more games, I'm guessing.  That said, I'd take Darnold 10 times out of 10 over Allen.  

Yeah, that would be my guess too. Running statistics helped. He just isn’t the better passer, which is the most important thing to me. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Is this for real?  

Comparing the GOAT with ROOKIE QB's?  

COME ON MAN 

Image result for toilet paper

Joe, strong post....but Tannehill and Osweiler are not rookies and our current QB whispering Head Coach, was their Head Coach.

Good looking TP though.  Probably Charmin. 

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah, that would be my guess too. Running statistics helped. He just isn’t the better passer, which is the most important thing to me. 

We shall see my friend. Neither had a lot of talent around them. I'd hope for Allen's sake the running numbers come down as the talent level goes up around him. Both looked shaky at times, but showed a lot of good things also. Lets wait and see. Way too early to proclaim one better then the other...

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Joe, strong post....but Tannehill and Osweiler are not rookies and our current QB whispering Head Coach, was their Head Coach.

Good looking TP though.  Probably Charmin. 

NE and the GOAT have won the AFC East how many years?   

Tannehill and Osweiler LOL 

Image result for CHARMIN PICS

1 minute ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Rookie seasons are not the best indication of a players potential or future performance level, especially QBs.  It’s just as likely today’s  ROTY/candidate, is tomorrows flame out.

Which is why I immediately called that out.  The real meat of me sharing this information is just how bad the QB whisperer Adam Gase was at whispering to his QB's in Miami. 

Just now, 14 in Green said:

We shall see my friend. Neither had a lot of talent around them. I'd hope for Allen's sake the running numbers come down as the talent level goes up around him. Both looked shaky at times, but showed a lot of good things also. Lets wait and see. Way too early to proclaim one better then the other...

As of right now though, Darnold is the superior passer and I don’t really see that changing but you are correct that it’s too early for definite assessments in general.

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

By all accounts the Dolphins are either looking to draft a QB this year or are tanking for a QB next year. You think that's because they think he is any good?  

Quick, guess Tannehill's PFF grade under Joe Philbin! 

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

Which is why I immediately called that out.  The real meat of me sharing this information is just how bad the QB whisperer Adam Gase was at whispering to his QB's in Miami. 

I know, I just meant there have been many QBs with great rookie seasons that ended up flaming out.  Thus we all need to pump the breaks on all the rookie QBs.  Wouldn’t surprise or shock me if Josh Rosen ended up the best of the lot in the end.

You never know!

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

No idea, but I am sure Osweiler's PFF grade was higher in 2018 than it was in years past. 

Again, if Tannehill is so good, then why are the fish looking to move on from him? 

I will tell you!  It was almost 30 points higher under Philbin.  

If Gase is so good, why did Tannehill get worse? 

48 minutes ago, JiF said:

It’s not a matter of who was better last year because honestly both Darnold and Allen have a long way to go. Sam needs reps, reps, reps and reps. Dude just finished his first year in NFL and that completes just his 3rd year playing QB. We have no reason to think he won’t improve. Will he be good, great or the best of all time? No idea. But it beats bidding wars for Kirk Cousins. 

Allen? Looked like the huge man beast everyone expected but that fool needs to take some accuracy lessons. The rest of his game is pretty natural for him 

Excited to see them both improve. I wanted Darnold from day 1 and will stick with the kid going forward 

Archived