Grades and stats for every first- and second-round pick since 2015 AFC East edition

BroadwayRay

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-draft-history-grades-and-stats-for-every-first-and-second-round-pick-since-2015-afc-east-edition

NEW YORK JETS

2015:

Leonard Williams, Interior Defender

Round 1, Pick 6

Career-high overall grade: 81.4 (2016)

Williams has stepped right into the Jets’ defensive line and has been a consistent force each of the last four seasons. The first-round selection out of USC has played at least 800 snaps in each of his first four seasons – no small feat as an interior defender – and has graded between 75.0 and 82.0 each year as well. Williams has been at his best as a run stuffer, notching 116 run stops since 2015 which ranks behind only Damon Harrison and Aaron Donald at the position.

Devin Smith, Wide Receiver

Round 2, Pick 37

Career-high overall grade: 52.2 (2015)

Despite being selected at the top of the second round back in 2015, Smith never found a role on the Jets. He played 312 snaps in his rookie season, catching nine of 26 targets for 115 yards. After that, Smith played only 35 offensive snaps in 2016 and did not play any offensive snaps in either of the last two seasons. It’s safe to say that he qualifies as one of the bigger misses by the Jets’ front office in recent years.

2016:

Darron Lee, Linebacker

Round 1, Pick 20

Career-high overall grade: 72.4 (2018)

If you had just gone off the first two seasons, Lee looked like he was setting up to be labeled a bust. He graded below 50.0 in each of his first two years, largely due to the fact that he was a liability in coverage (40.1 coverage grade in 2016 and 42.6 coverage grade in 2017). That all changed last year, though; Lee easily recorded the highest grade of his career at 72.4, and that came as a result of his coverage grade jumping all the way to 84.8 which ranked tied for fourth among 92 qualifying linebackers.

Christian Hackenberg, Quarterback

Round 2, Pick 51

Career-high overall grade: N/A

Hackenberg never played a regular season snap in the NFL, and that’s all that really needs to be said for the second-round pick. Prior to the 2016 NFL Draft, PFF analyst Sam Monson explained why PFF did not give Hackenberg a draftable grade, and yet, the Jets took him just outside the first 50 players selected. His preseason grades in his three years in the NFL were 32.0, 47.3, and 47.6.

2017:

Jets2017Draft-1024x576.png

Jamal Adams, Safety

Round 1, Pick 6

Career-high overall grade: 89.7 (2018)

Adams elevated his game from decent in 2017 (68.5 overall grade) to outstanding in 2018 (89.7 overall grade). The Jets are able to use him all over the defensive formation; Adams played over 100 snaps at each of edge defender, slot corner, free safety, and an in-the-box- role. Last year, Adams improved significantly in coverage. The safety out of LSU was targeted 48 times and allowed just 24 receptions for 291 yards while breaking up six passes and intercepting another.

Marcus Maye, Safety

Round 2, Pick 39

Career-high overall grade: 81.7 (2018)

The Jets went with two straight safeties to open the 2017 draft, and like his running mate Adams, Maye turned a less-than-ideal rookie season into a promising sophomore campaign. Maye played just 393 snaps in 2018 due to various injuries, but while he was on the field, he improved his overall grade from 59.5 to 81.7. With Maye patrolling the deep portions of the field as he did in 2018 and Adams causing havoc near the line of scrimmage, the Jets may have found a safety duo that will be around for quite some time.

2018:

Sam Darnold, Quarterback

Round 1, Pick 3

Career-high overall grade: 64.7 (2018)

The Jets made their move to trade up and get their franchise quarterback last season in Darnold. He struggled early on in an offense that lacked elite weapons for him to distribute the ball to. On the season, his 64.7 overall grade ranked 26th among 32 qualifiers. However, Darnold did exhibit improvement down the stretch. In Weeks 14-17, Darnold ranked first among all quarterbacks in overall grade at 87.7. That stretch gives hope for the future in New York.

Man remember Devon SMith? I dont know sometime I think Mac truely is crap  but then I remember I know for a fact that our coaches sucked so bad that no players really had any chance to excel. I mean i know alot of guys sucked but is it really any worse talent level than anyone else. Could it be other teams just build around thier guys strentghs? Easy to say I know, but god damn bowles sucked and all of our off coaches have sucked for as long as I can remember. 

I still remember favre coming and basically throwing out the play book and doing his own thing.

I truly hope that we have a good draft but more importantly our new coaches actually put a game plan together to take advantage of who ever we put on the field. No excuse this year to have Sam Darnold not scramble a little bit, give robbie some deep shots etc...

Not exactly a thorough breakdown- he didn’t even mention that Devin Smith tore the same ACL twice in two years which is a career ender.

however how do you think Devin would’ve turned out without the punctured lung and two turn ACL’s?  Personally I think he looked like a bust, he could get open but wilted away from contested balls

Mac is basically 3-4 on first rounders and 1-4 on second rounders. So he’s 4-8 or 50% in 1st 2 rounds. It sukks But look at the first and second round picks when Rex was here. Sanchez, Kyle Wilson,Coples, Pryor, Dee Milner, Muhammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson - so he’s 2 good and 7 bad on 1st rounders. 2nd rounders Vlad Ducasse, Stephen Hill, Geno Smith, Jace Amaro - 0-4 lol so during Rex’s tenure the Jets were 2 good and 11 bad picks in 1st 2 rounds. 

So Mac is 4 good and 4 bad on picks in round 1-2 and the GMs before him were 2 good and 11 bad under Rex’s tenure. This makes Mac look like a genius!

The funny thing is I remember people on here being very happy about Macc drafting Devin Smith and saying how it  showed he was much better than Idzik.  I think we all have "backup QB syndrome" (where we convince ourselves that the backup QB is the answer to the team's problems - essentially "the grass is greener") to some extent.  

Archived