jets staying with 3-4

rangerous

apparently williams has decided a 3-4 scheme is a better fit for the jets personnel so that will be their base defense.  that's why pennel was released and why anderson may be re-signed.  i don't know enough to have an opinion about which is better but you have to wonder if williams is going to like or if lee will be get his 5th option.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What Jets’ surprise 3-4 defense means for NFL draft, Leonard Williams

February 20, 2019 | 5:15pm

Modal Trigger
New Jets defensive coordinator Gregg Williams
New Jets defensive coordinator Gregg WilliamsGetty Images

Many things about the Jets defense will change under new coordinator Gregg Williams, but one thing is surprisingly remaining the same.

Contrary to speculation, the Jets will still operate out of 3-4 base defense, according to sources.

Williams ran a 4-3 base for the Browns and the Rams before that, which led people to speculate the Jets would be switching. But the Jets feel a 3-4 is the best choice for them and best fits their personnel. One of the things that appealed to new coach Adam Gase and the Jets about Williams was his ability to adapt his scheme to his personnel.

The significance of what base defense a team runs has decreased in recent years as teams have run more hybrid fronts and operated out of their sub-packages more and more to combat spread offenses. So the Jets still will run four-man fronts often, just as they did under former head coach Todd Bowles.

Where the 3-4 versus 4-3 choice does hold the most weight is on the edge, where 3-4 outside linebackers play in a two-point stance and are usually smaller, quicker athletes versus 4-3 defensive ends, who operate out of a three-point stance and are bigger.

The Jets have been a 3-4 team since Eric Mangini replaced Herm Edwards in 2006. Rex Ryan and Bowles both operated out of 3-4 base defenses as well.

in-art-close-icon-128x128-16481b937f87b244a645cdbef0d930f8.png
–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

unmiss-sound-button-muted-e74d67a0c85c3548f07d7564782a269c.svg

SEE ALSO

image.gif.c8dd20dfbbdcb8c3e1ff496f3626e012.gif

Williams told reporters in 2017, when he was hired in Cleveland, that he has dozens of different packages of defense and can use the 3-4 and 4-3 in the same game.

“I have 42 packages of defense,” Williams said at his introductory press conference with the Browns. “Now everywhere I go, I don’t do them all. What it is, coaches sit in a room and we waste so much time wondering what the word is. I have the words already. I’ve been doing it for so long. So boom, this 11 guys, boom this 11 guys trot out there. Then, what you will all see is, how much we play those types of schemes or packages is based on the AFC North. It’s based on what the offenses are pulling out there and we have to play defense on.”

For the Jets, the choice to remain a 3-4 base defense will play a significant role in the upcoming draft. The Jets are in the market for a pass rusher with the No. 3 pick. A player such as Kentucky’s Josh Allen is viewed as a perfect fit for the 3-4 as an outside linebacker. Michigan’s Rashaan Gary, who is 280 pounds, would be seen more as an interior player in the 3-4.

SEE ALSO

image.gif.778a7062f406d10bac16ef63d075d146.gif

The decision to stick with the 3-4 also has an effect on defensive lineman Leonard Williams. It means he will remain in a similar role as he played in Bowles’ defense. He can line up anywhere from over the center to over the tackle, but won’t be moved exclusively inside to the 3-technique in a 4-3.

One change under Williams is the desire for smaller, quicker defensive linemen to play a more attacking style. The decision to let nose tackle Mike Pennel go this week is a reflection of that. The Jets no longer are looking for big players to clog up the middle of the defense.

Another player who could benefit from the Jets sticking with the 3-4 is Henry Anderson, a pending free agent. The Colts traded Anderson to the Jets last year after Indianapolis switched to a 4-3 and he was not seen as a fit. If Williams likes what he’s seen from Anderson, who tied for the team lead with seven sacks last year, he could be back in 2019.

23 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

If true the Quinnen Williams wet dream is over.

Everyone pile back on the Josh Allen train.

oh me?

I’ll be waiting a mile down the tracks with something to dislodge the train from the railing.?

Wait so you are going to derail a train injuring and possibly killing innocent people over who the NY Jets draft? 

34 minutes ago, rangerous said:

apparently williams has decided a 3-4 scheme is a better fit for the jets personnel so that will be their base defense.  that's why pennel was released and why anderson may be re-signed.  i don't know enough to have an opinion about which is better but you have to wonder if williams is going to like or if lee will be get his 5th option.

If the Jets stay with the 3-4, there's no way they pick up Lee's fifth year. Not for a pot head that's already been suspended, has had multiple incidents off the field and sucks on the field. I can see possibly Williams keeping him on this season at cheap money? But 9.8 million? Not a chance.

We'll have to wait and see how true this really is, but if it is, it quickly flushes down the toilet the most recent excuse of Maccagnan's incompetence being displayed, as more of his FA signings are cut, that it was supposedly a matter of scheme fit.

I'll admit I'm surprised (assuming it is true), but that's actually usually a pretty good sign when you have a coach whose priority is getting the best out of who he has, and willing to adapt to make that happen, as opposed to forcing his way on everyone else.

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Wait so you are going to derail a train injuring and possibly killing innocent people over who the NY Jets draft? 

Yes. That is precisely what I said. Exactly. On the money. Totally is a real life train called the Josh Allen train and I totally intend on sabotaging it as soon as it takes off.

Mmm I'd say he's looked at it, and it's to much to do in one off season to transfer into 4-3.

I expect to see us move to 4-3 by 2020. I also think it may be the end for Darron Lee, he's not a great scheme fit for a 3-4.

I also think there will plenty of 46 and 4/5 men fronts.

27 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

If the Jets stay with the 3-4, there's no way they pick up Lee's fifth year. Not for a pot head that's already been suspended, has had multiple incidents off the field and sucks on the field. I can see possibly Williams keeping him on this season at cheap money? But 9.8 million? Not a chance.

The NYPD has arrested NYJ1 for the murder of Jet linebacker Darron Lee. Details at 11:00

Here’s the thing. They just said the three players released were released because of not fitting Williams 4-3 scheme. This was said yesterday.

So does anyone actually know if this 3-4 talk is factual? I’d rather wait to hear it from Gregg Williams himself. “According to sources” doesn’t really do much to satisfy the question.

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Here’s the thing. They just said the three players released were released because of not fitting Williams 4-3 scheme. This was said yesterday.

So does anyone actually know if this 3-4 talk is factual? I’d rather wait to hear it from Gregg Williams himself. “According to sources” doesn’t really do much to satisfy the question.

That’s what I was just thinking. 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

If true the Quinnen Williams wet dream is over.

Everyone pile back on the Josh Allen train.

oh me?

I’ll be waiting a mile down the tracks with something to dislodge the train from the railing.?

Could easily be smokescreen.

2 hours ago, genot said:

He's so fast off the snap, and has such great hands, i think he would be a headache in a 3-4 too.

I love the player and even I don't think he'd be a good fit in a strict 3-4. He might have played most of his college career at zero tech but he'll never do that in the NFL. I also don't think he's a 5 tech at all.,,,,not even close.

But if you run a strict 4-3 he can play every single position down the entire line and excel. 

The truth is most DC's run some type of hybrid defense. Bowles did it, Rex did it, and Williams does it, IIRC Williams says he uses 44 different defensive fronts, so in that scenario Oliver would fit right in. 

If this if true then they should trade Leo. The only hope was that moving him to DT in a 4-3 would benefit him production wise. No 3-4 DE other than Watt should be making $14 million in a single year. And also if this if true it's a big mistake. 

Archived