WayneChrebet80

Would you make this trade with Washington?

I don't think a team with as many holes as the Redskins have without much cap space to fill them would be willing to give up their first three picks this year and several next year.  The Alex Smith contract is killing them.  And if they start letting go of their starters who are making a lot of money to create space, they will have even more holes to fill.

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

It happens every draft, teams that need QB's will ALWAYS "fall in love" with someone.  That's why clowns like

EJ Manuel and Christian Ponder were first round picks

Yup. And with teams like the Giants/Jags/Skins/Fish/Broncos (I can't imagine Elway thinks Flacco is their long term answer) in desperate need of a franchise QB you know one or two of those GMs will "panic" and try to jump the other to get in position to take the guy they fall in love with. 

The main problem is that these teams may want to jump to 1-2. If that happens and Bosa falls into our laps I can't see the justification for trading down for less than value. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yup. And with teams like the Giants/Jags/Skins/Fish/Broncos (I can't imagine Elway thinks Flacco is their long term answer) in desperate need of a franchise QB you know one or two of those GMs will "panic" and try to jump the other to get in position to take the guy they fall in love with. 

The main problem is that these teams may want to jump to 1-2. If that happens and Bosa falls into our laps I can't see the justification for trading down for less than value. 

Your last sentence is what some fans miss, if QB teams do jump us that will push someone like Bosa into our laps.

And no one would cry about that

• Upvote 1

Trading down makes all the sense in the world but Arizona and San Fran are probably willing to do the same. We need to hope that at least 2 of the 3 top QB prospects hit it out of the park at the combine.

As for the redskin scenario, so long as we get the equal draft points, then yes.

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

Your last sentence is what some fans miss, if QB teams do jump us that will push someone like Bosa into our laps.

And no one would cry about that

Some are concerned that we are ignoring offense once again. But I think we can do a ton to address our needs on offense via free agency or trades with teams looking to unload high priced offensive talent. 

45 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I understand that. 

But in an unusual draft the chart goes out the window.

what would you rather have:

the 3 rd pick and no second rounder OR lets say the 9th pick AND an early second rounder?

at 9, wed still get a great talented playermaker that we need plus that 2nd would get us another talent like another OL guy.

so we would be ahead in that scenario. Chart  be damned

I'd much rather trade down I just don't see why we have to take a hit like that? Make them give us a fair trade. If it's the only other option I guess I'm biting my tongue and taking the trade down but I think we should be able to do better.

Make them give us #15, #46 and next years first. It's the Redskins, they'd probably give more.

12 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Do folks forget the Jets traded up from 17 to 5 with Cleveland?

The cost was a 2nd, Kenyon Coleman, Abram Elam, and Brett Ratliff.

First you are moving to 5 not 3... Second... Mangini wanted those players.

To move back from 3 to 15 you will have to include at least 2019 1,2,3 and 2020 1++ (mostly likely a 2nd in 2020 or 2021 1st as well) different draft but there are still QBs to draft.

13 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Yeah, and how'd that work for the Browns? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah, and how'd that work for the Browns? 

Plus it was Mangini trading for his players... 

1 minute ago, Bowles Movement said:

About as well as it worked for us!!

They made back to back AFC Championship games with that draft pick... When was the last time cleveland made the playoffs? 17 years ago?

55 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I really want the Jets to trade down also. We need to stockpile picks. But I don't think any GM, in the same situation, would take less than value to move down from 3-15. 

Either way, if there are 1-2 QBs that teams love there will be a team that will overpay to move up to 3. 

Its hard for me to see Mac trading down for less than value since it will be compared to what he gave to trade up last year, and that wont reflect well on him.  I also dont see him trading out of the top ten but I guess that would depend on the draft pick haul for the move.  I think someone would have to seriously overpay for the Jets to jump back that far.

13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

You don't f*ck yourself over to be petty towards a team that doesn't have any relevance to yourself.

Especially when you've been one of the leagues best at  f*king yourself year in and year out with no assistance necessary.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Here's where I am with you and the effing memes. I don't believe a grown man would do it as often as you do and think its clever.

I'm going to assume you're a 7th grade girl, and with everything replying to someone that age on the internet entails, you're going on ignore.

He's been doing it for a decade.  That is a long time to be in 7th grade. 

• Haha 1

No.  The obvious is the value in return but the other part is trusting Mac with a bunch of mid rounds picks where he's been an unmitigated disaster.   You got Jenkins and Shell - which are good JAG pulls and Herndon looks to have potential and that's it.  The only slight modicum of success we've seen in the draft from Mac is when he has a high pick. 

It's the old, quality over quantity argument.  I understand the Jets have a ton of holes to fill but they also have the worst high end talent in the league.  No difference makers.  No game changers.  No elite players.  The Jets need young elite players on a rookie contract.

Then there is the reality; the Jets suck.  They're more than likely picking in the top 3-5 range against next year.  So hypothetically, the Jets should be able to add 2 elite difference makers over the next 2 season in the draft in addition to the other picks they have and FA.  Give me Josh Allen and Jerry Juedy in consecutive years over a handful of JAG's, all day every day.  They move the needle for this team. 

And then the other factor, the 2020 draft is more than likely going to have 3 QB's that have top 5 potential; Tua, Fromm and Herbert.  A trade back scenario in 2020 is ideal and much more likely than this years draft.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Its hard for me to see Mac trading down for less than value since it will be compared to what he gave to trade up last year, and that wont reflect well on him.  I also dont see him trading out of the top ten but I guess that would depend on the draft pick haul for the move.  I think someone would have to seriously overpay for the Jets to jump back that far.

Just look at what the Bears/Rams/Jets gave up to move to the top 3 to get Trubisky/Goff/Darnold. Why would the Jets consider a trade down to 15 for less than value when those other teams had to give up WAY more than value to move up? And to trade down to 15 where we have NO idea who will fall to us? 

I saw someone last night saying we could get Metcalf at 15. Really? We know he will fall to 15? So we take the 3rd best OL instead? Now all of a sudden we are in the Darron Lee range of players who COULD be really good or could be a bust. Meanwhile, Quinnen Williams or Bosa or Allen are far more likely to become impact players. 

• Upvote 1

I'm all for getting extra picks when we have no QB need at #3 and there may be only 2 no-brainers (Bosa & Williams) at the top (I have a feeling the Allen hype may cool a bit between now and draft day).

We have something like 25 roster spots we need to fill and it all won't be via free agency. We only have 6 draft picks as of today.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'd much rather trade down I just don't see why we have to take a hit like that? Make them give us a fair trade. If it's the only other option I guess I'm biting my tongue and taking the trade down but I think we should be able to do better.

Make them give us #15, #46 and next years first. It's the Redskins, they'd probably give more.

I agree we should and can do better but my point was that trading down, even for less than chart value based on this draft and the needs of this team, would be way better than staying put because we dont want to look like we got "fleeced"

I have a question:

How does "sign and trade" work in the draft? 

If the jets dont getan offer or the right offer and the #1 qb is sitting there at three, can we make a bold move and draft him and then immediately deal him?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

and that's why people use the trade chart 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I have a question:

How does "sign and trade" work in the draft? 

If the jets dont getan offer or the right offer and the #1 qb is sitting there at three, can we make a bold move and draft him and then immediately deal him?

Funny....I was just having the same thought. If they can't get he right offer while they are on the clock, would they draft Haskins and then try to turn around and trade him to the highest bidder? One issue we'll have trading back from 3 is nobody expects us to take a QB there, especially if none are taken via trade up at #1 or #2

You absolutely use the value chart as a base.  And based on that we would be getting totally hosed.  Let's look at our own trade up from last year.  We traded our 6th (1600), 37th (530), 49th (410) and this years 34th (560) for the Colt's 3rd (2200).  We paid (3100) a 40% premium!!!!  That's the cost to get up that high to grab your franchise QB.  So unless we get 2 1's and at least another 2nd, no deal.

Yeah . . . way to have an original thought. :rolleyes:

I posted this same idea and scenario a while on Sunday. It's worth doing but Mac is a bad GM and will NOT get the haul like the Jets gave up to the Colts in '18, the Jets won't get a '20 1st rounder b/c '19 FA is a QB buyers' market and the teams who don't get one in FA won't have to pony up as much in the draft to move up. In addition, Mac will just screw up the picks anyway with more sections at his disposal like previous years. 

15 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Haskins is a local kid and I could see the Redskins being aggressive to land him. With that said the Jets will have to take somewhat of a discount as I think San Francisco and Tampa would gladly move back as well. 

Washington receives 2019 3rd Pick overall

Jets receive 2019 1st, 2nd, 3rd

2020 2nd and 4th 

Obviously a lot worse than the Colts did trading down three spots with with the NYJ, but with Denver getting Flacco and Jacksonville rumored to get Foles I just don’t see any teams that desperate to move up. 

With one second and three thirds the Jets could be fill out the roster nicely. 

29 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Funny....I was just having the same thought. If they can't get he right offer while they are on the clock, would they draft Haskins and then try to turn around and trade him to the highest bidder? One issue we'll have trading back from 3 is nobody expects us to take a QB there, especially if none are taken via trade up at #1 or #2

Imagine the pats trade up to 4 for a qb.

the jets take haskins at 3 and f their world

• Haha 1

I might make it.....if the Skins took Trumaine Johnson off our hands. Even then I would need a little more from them. It's a decent try but I would probably say no.

• Butt Fumble 1

According to Steve Wyche: "Every indication I got is [the Redskins] would probably be leaning more towards a free agent type of quarterback, at least to carry things until Colt McCoy could possibly come back or Alex Smith could come back…or get them through the season. "

There are 5 possibly 6 teams looking for a QB: 
1. Dolphins(if they move on from Tannehill)
2. Jaguars (if they move on from Bortles)
3. Broncos (they have Flacco, they dump Keenum)
4. Giants (move on from Eli)
5. Redskins (temporary fill-in at QB).  
6. Raiders (if they move on from Carr)

10 possible available starting free agent QBs (in no particular order): 
1. Bradford
2. RG3
3. Tyrod
4. Foles (if he comes available)
5. Bortles (if the Jaguars move on from him)
6. Tannehill (if the Dolphins move on from him)
7. Bridgewater 
8. Keenum (if he comes available)
9. Eli (if the Giants move on from him)
10. Carr (if the Raiders move on from him)

This is an unusual year for QBs.  
1. More starting caliber free agent QBs than teams that need a QB
2. The teams in the top 3 of the draft are in no need of a QB
3. No pre-combine clear-cut #1 QB
4. No pre-combine QB consistently mocked in the top 3
5. Next year's draft has better QB talent (Herbert, Fromm, Tagovailoa)

22 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Haskins is a local kid and I could see the Redskins being aggressive to land him. With that said the Jets will have to take somewhat of a discount as I think San Francisco and Tampa would gladly move back as well. 

Washington receives 2019 3rd Pick overall

Jets receive 2019 1st, 2nd, 3rd

2020 2nd and 4th 

Obviously a lot worse than the Colts did trading down three spots with with the NYJ, but with Denver getting Flacco and Jacksonville rumored to get Foles I just don’t see any teams that desperate to move up. 

With one second and three thirds the Jets could be fill out the roster nicely. 

In a New York minute at this point. We need volume and a pair of high Olinemen or a 1 or 2 WR would be great. 

12 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I really want the Jets to trade down also. We need to stockpile picks. But I don't think any GM, in the same situation, would take less than value to move down from 3-15. 

Either way, if there are 1-2 QBs that teams love there will be a team that will overpay to move up to 3. 

We just have to make the deal better than moving all the way to 2 and attractive enough to not to just wait us out and trade with 4. Everyone knows we aren't picking a QB. The only concern would be if someone else is considering trading ahead of the team looking for a QB. 

This could get dicey.