jets have ‘massive buyer’s remorse’ over.. ~ ~ ~

kelly

MCCagnan still being here is solidly mind boggling. The FO and scouting departments need to sctutinized analyzed and fundamentally changed because our draft evaluations suck balls. Unless Toilet had all in the power in draft selection. But McLoser will pick another DT in  the draft completely ignore the OL and offense again but he will be "very comfortable" with his picks, Grrr....there is nothing that points to CoffeeSlave being even remotely good at his job

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

MCCagnan still being here is solidly mind boggling. The FO and scouting departments need to sctutinized analyzed and fundamentally changed because our draft evaluations suck balls. Unless Toilet had all in the power in draft selection. But McLoser will pick another DT in  the draft completely ignore the OL and offense again but he will be "very comfortable" with his picks, Grrr....there is nothing that points to CoffeeSlave being even remotely good at his job

The fact that the Jets have released most of the other 2018 signings that have relatively cheap options but were releaseable is very disturbing.

Theoretically the guys released could have been good enough to keep at basically the same price or less than those signed to replace them.

I am not saying Pennel, Long, Brooks, KSL were great, but at least they were signed and functional.   They were supposed to be building blocks for at least 2019 to field a decent team.  Now we are starting over there with unknown results.  

So he was the 19th best cornerback in the NFL and rated the best on the Jets. That’s not too awful bad actually. Was he a top 10 CB like we expected - No - obviously but he was best on the Jets - probably without even trying. I expect him to be a lot better under Williams this next season. It’s not like the Jets had any kind of a pass rush or a good defensive coordinator to help out the corners and to put them in good positions to succeed. I don’t see how u put a story out like this when the player graded out as the best corner on the team?

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

So he was the 19th best cornerback in the NFL and rated the best on the Jets. That’s not too awful bad actually. Was he a top 10 CB like we expected - No - obviously but he was best on the Jets - probably without even trying. I expect him to be a lot better under Williams this next season. It’s not like the Jets had any kind of a pass rush or a good defensive coordinator to help out the corners and to put them in good positions to succeed. I don’t see how u put a story out like this when the player graded out as the best corner on the team?

I never could get why anyone thought he'd be a top 10 CB. He wasn't before we signed him either, and that was with the likes of Aaron Donald & co forcing faster and errant passes (if not outright sacks/fumbles/throwaways). 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Is that really coffee in those cups?

Probably is. I bet if he was blitzed all the time he’d do a much better job.

Then again a 5 year old, blindfolded, playing “pin the tail on the donkey” could too.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I tend to agree.

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

put it another way Trumaine Johnson got his crap pushed in on a 4-12 team when last year he was on a SB contender

and he's stuck here for another 4 years 

maybe Johnson  has seller's remorse 

So youre saying before the season started he thought the Jets would be a SB contender, the Rams wouldnt be one and he was surprised by the way the season turned out?

15 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Agreed.  I think the only reason he still has a job is because his incompetence has been overshadowed by the even bigger incompetence of Todd Bowles.  Certainly both deserved to be fired though (at least based on what we've seen so far).

I'm not here to defend Tru & his lazy play last year but anyone who has been in this league long enough knows Todd Bowles is not a leader of men, was a walking dead coach, and Tru wasn't the 1st player to skate through an NFL season under this horrible head coach. Revis....then Mo Wilkerson....then Richardson, Bowles was a veterans best friend. Vets could have sat down in the middle of the field & this guy wouldn't bench them. Bowles was a bad leader, his 2nd hand man Rogers was a disaster as his DC. Plus, is there any Jet fans that doesn't constantly carp on that fact we have zero pass rush? You can't  have it both ways, trash the fact we have no pass rush & then trash on the secondary. I've seen it written here over & over that CBs mean NOTHING if the QB has all day to throw.

Bad defensive schemes, no pass rush = terrible secondary play. Let's see how the secondary plays with a new scheme & some pass rushers in 2019. Under Bowles/Rogers, I can honestly say I'd never seen such WIDE OPEN receptions since I've been a Jet fan. I'm talking NO ONE IN THE TV SCREEN but the guy catching the ball? The Monday night game vs Indy stands out the most in 2017. They scored on 3 consecutive drives to open the game & it looked like Joe Montanas 49ers vs the Harvard Crimson. I was embarrassed to be a Jet fan.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

I'm not here to defend Tru & his lazy play last year but anyone who has been in this league long enough knows Todd Bowles is not a leader of men, was a walking dead coach, and Tru wasn't the 1st player to skate through an NFL season under this horrible head coach. Revis....then Mo Wilkerson....then Richardson, Bowles was a veterans best friend. Vets could have sat down in the middle of the field & this guy wouldn't bench them. Bowles was a bad leader, his 2nd hand man Rogers was a disaster as his DC. Plus, is there any Jet fans that doesn't constantly carp on that fact we have zero pass rush? You can't  have it both ways, trash the fact we have no pass rush & then trash on the secondary. I've seen it written here over & over that CBs mean NOTHING if the QB has all day to throw.

Bad defensive schemes, no pass rush = terrible secondary play. Let's see how the secondary plays with a new scheme & some pass rushers in 2019. Under Bowles/Rogers, I can honestly say I'd never seen such WIDE OPEN receptions since I've been a Jet fan. I'm talking NO ONE IN THE TV SCREEN but the guy catching the ball? The Monday night game vs Indy stands out the most in 2017. They scored on 3 consecutive drives to open the game & it looked like Joe Montanas 49ers vs the Harvard Crimson. I was embarrassed to be a Jet fan.

Except for the part where you state  that you don't want to defend Trumaine Johnson, then do exactly that, this is a great post.  There is no excuse for Johnson's play last year, just as there is no excuse  for the rest of the "bums" {Jamal excepted}  in that "secondary" of last year.  The coverage was reminiscent of a Pee Wee League football game.  He has a very long way to go before this fan cuts him any slack.  As for "living up to the contract", I have no faith that will ever happen.  Delores Clairborne has to go.  I have every expectation things will get better this  season.  They can't get worse.

5 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Except for the part where you state  that you don't want to defend Trumaine Johnson, then do exactly that, this is a great post.  There is no excuse for Johnson's play last year, just as there is no excuse  for the rest of the "bums" {Jamal excepted}  in that "secondary" of last year.  The coverage was reminiscent of a Pee Wee League football game.  He has a very long way to go before this fan cuts him any slack.  As for "living up to the contract", I have no faith that will ever happen.  Delores Clairborne has to go.  I have every expectation things will get better this  season.  They can't get worse.

His Lazy attitude is what I won't defend. But I will defend him for the lousy schemes, plus I think that concussion shook him up in Detroit, lol. Galloday f*cking blindsided the Sh*t out of him! I bet you Trumaine Johnson had not taken a hit like that since he'd been in the league! Hines Ward use to lay people out like that & im sure they wanted to retire. 

I think Williams goes to more man pressure, no more backing off 10 yards BS. We'll see. Pass rush will help the secondary.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Did you forget the secondary in 2014?  That was a long time ago?  Okay.  Did you forget 2017?

I have never seen as many broken coverages or lack of  "will to cover or tackle" as I did last year. The Jets secondary ranked 24th last year.  In 2014 and 2017 they were 21st.  That matters little anyway.  The seasons you cite were awful.  We have a boatload of those.  But last year the lack of effort and "coaching" makes that group the worst.  It is one thing to be terrible.  It is another to not even try. I wish I could forget them all.

19 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I have never seen as many broken coverages or lack of  "will to cover or tackle" as I did last year. The Jets secondary ranked 24th last year.  In 2014 and 2017 they were 21st.  That matters little anyway.  The seasons you cite were awful.  We have a boatload of those.  But last year the lack of effort and "coaching" makes that group the worst.  It is one thing to be terrible.  It is another to not even try. I wish I could forget them all.

I swear to you as a long time fan, I said to myself after I turned off that 2017 MNF game vs Indy at halftime that if the Jets Brass didn't fire this azz hole Bowles because they didn't want to pay his contract I'd have to quit the Jets altogether. Than 2018 started & I realized I was kidding myself,I'm hooked on these losers, but since 2015 in Buffalo they've been far from loveable. 

39 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Who did those ratings?  PFF?  Any method that rates the 2014 secondary above last is severely flawed.  Maybe Rex did a better job covering those stiffs than I remembered. 

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Who did those ratings?  PFF?  Any method that rates the 2014 secondary above last is severely flawed.  Maybe Rex did a better job covering those stiffs than I remembered. 

NFL.com. I just did a quick search to make sure I didn't look ridiculous, because those two secondaries  were not etched in my mind.  What was "burned" into my memory was the complete lack of effort and professionalism surrounding last years group.  Like I said, it goes past the numbers.  Sometimes things are obvious based on prima facie.  I think that's the case here. Regards.

2 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

What was "burned" into my memory was the complete lack of effort and professionalism surrounding last years group.  

let's take this statement as truth, for the sake of argument

defenses, even well-paid ones, get burned when QB1 leads the league in interceptions most of the year

the defense was far from great under Bowles but the team was always negative on turnovers and it was because offense was giving the ball away at a furious rate 

honestly I've been on football teams who stop trying as hard when the QB gives the ball away. It's football a team game and both sides need to pull their weight.

despite being world-class athletes the NFL players are human, they are not robots, paid to play football at 100% effort all the time no matter what. That's the expectation but they will be affected by human emotions like sadness and despair just like the rest of us. And the contrary is true the defenders of the Patriots elevate their game because they believe in their offense. Because their offense doesn't hang the team out to dry.

don't get me wrong Darnold is young and has potential etc im not hating on Darnold but he only played well down the stretch. MCCown was somehow even worse. Most of the year, at least 12 games or so, the defense was on the field all game long.

3 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

NFL.com. I just did a quick search to make sure I didn't look ridiculous, because those two secondaries  were not etched in my mind.  What was "burned" into my memory was the complete lack of effort and professionalism surrounding last years group.  Like I said, it goes past the numbers.  Sometimes things are obvious based on prima facie.  I think that's the case here. Regards.

FWIW, PFF had them 16th.  Not great, but not awful either. I am sure they were worse in 2016 and the 2014 defense had several guys that did not belong on the field. 

There are alot of reasons by Trumaine and other players on the Jets' offense and defense did not play as well as expected.  

The coaching was just terrible.  

I think this year will show much more realistically what the players on both sides of the ball, particularly ones for which 2020 decisions need to be made, are worth. 

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

let's take this statement as truth, for the sake of argument

defenses, even well-paid ones, get burned when QB1 leads the league in interceptions most of the year

the defense was far from great under Bowles but the team was always negative on turnovers and it was because offense was giving the ball away at a furious rate 

honestly I've been on football teams who stop trying as hard when the QB gives the ball away. It's football a team game and both sides need to pull their weight.

despite being world-class athletes the NFL players are human, they are not robots, paid to play football at 100% effort all the time no matter what. That's the expectation but they will be affected by human emotions like sadness and despair just like the rest of us. And the contrary is true the defenders of the Patriots elevate their game because they believe in their offense. Because their offense doesn't hang the team out to dry.

don't get me wrong Darnold is young and has potential etc im not hating on Darnold but he only played well down the stretch. MCCown was somehow even worse. Most of the year, at least 12 games or so, the defense was on the field all game long.

The Jets had 19 total interceptions for the year.  Not great but not as bad as you'd think.  The time of possession was 29 minutes and change versus 31minutes and change for the opposition. That's a difference of 2 minutes a game.  Hardly and eternity.  The Jets Defense had a six game stretch during the season where they had no turnovers.  Maybe the Offense should have been depressed over that. The Jets defense had 20 total turnovers during the 2018 season.  They had five interceptions to open the season against the Lions.  They had three interceptions against the Colts.  Take away those two games, and the Jets defense had 12  turnovers in 14 games.  That is horrendous.  Not a result of inept offense.  That is the result of an inept defense.  During Toilet Bowles time in NY the Jets defense consistently had trouble  getting turnovers.  They were almost legendary, so I don't understand that point.  The sadness and despair, unfortunately, was mostly absorbed by the fans who had to witness this comedy.  The coverage and tackling in the secondary were the biggest joke on this team.  Sorry Bit, but the 2nd highest  paid cornerback in the league shouldn't suck so badly, in spite of the "working conditions".  Regards.

Archived