Report: Joe Vitt,Gregg Williams resolved past differences some time ago

joewilly12

Report: Joe Vitt, Gregg Williams resolved past differences some time ago

Posted by Josh Alper on February 21, 2019, 11:03 AM EST
gettyimages-169334101-e1550765016501.jpg
Getty Images

When the Jets announced their coaching staff for the 2019 season, plenty of people raised their eyebrows at the fact that it included both outside linebackers coach Joe Vitt and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

They last coached together with the Saints in 2011 and both men were suspended the next year after an NFL investigation into allegations that the team was running a bounty system on defense. Williams was suspended indefinitely and Vitt was suspended six games after giving testimony alleging that Williams lied when he spoke to investigators about what went on.

Given the history, those people with raised eyebrows were wondering how everything would work out this year. According to a report from Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, however, the two men have moved past any bad feelings generated at that time.

Per the report, the two men buried the hatchet a few years ago and Vitt, who is Jets head coach Adam Gase’s father-in-law, recommended Williams for a job on Gase’s staff in Miami heading into the 2017 season. Williams wound up in Cleveland, which delayed until this year a reunion that is apparently less fraught with the potential for problems than some believed.

I really think the Jets are an complete organizational mess.

I don't know how you hire Vitt without somehow immediately clarifying that Williams and Vitt are good with one another.  

People have gossiped for a month implying that the team was a dysfunctional mess.  

Allowing Mehta to clarify is not good either and almost implies that they are feeding him stories to be nice to him.

Just sad.

11 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Such a shame.  One less angle to take for the "sky is falling" cartel here at JetNation.  Guess it's entirely possible that two mature adult men can at times act that way, after all.

If this story is true...

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So many Jets fans disappointed after reading this.

I have to admit, I'm one of "those" who thought Gase was forcing his father in law on to Williams' DCS. I thought this could've turned out to be a disaster. I'm not to proud to admit it when I might have been wrong though. In fact, I'm very happy it looks like I was about this. 

26 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don't know how you hire Vitt without somehow immediately clarifying that Williams and Vitt are good with one another.  

People have gossiped for a month implying that the team was a dysfunctional mess.  

Allowing Mehta to clarify is not good either and almost implies that they are feeding him stories to be nice to him.

Just sad.

The Jets obviously knew that they were OK with each other. They just didn’t feel it necessary to explain a little detail like that to the public 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Just sad.

You know what's sad?  When fans think the organization is obligated to clarify every stupid thought that runs through sojf heads. 

They knew there was no issue and that's all that matters. Whether you lost sleep about it or not is of no moment to them.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's great when SOJFs think they are smarter than everyone else and assumed the Jets would hire people that hate each other on day 1. 

Yeah all the talk of a "explosive" situation brewing was the most assinine line of thinking.  As if no one thought of the possibility of a problem and discussed it before the hires

3 hours ago, varjet said:

Just sad.

Actually what I find mind boggling is the idea that it wasn't brought up and cleared up.  And then calling the team a mess without knowing

11 hours ago, varjet said:

Just sad.

so the team is supposed to have to clarify all the bullsh*t gossip that goes on? 

You don't think Joe Vitt recommending Williams to his Son in Law Gase wasn't known by Gregg Williams? Joe Vitt I'm sure was just a stand up guy, caught up in the Bounty Gate mess & just wasn't the lying type. 

Williams probably lied, was desperate & hoped the good old boy network would save him but the public was outraged. Bounty Gate was a huge story & a black eye to the NFL. This is such a NON STORY. Gase has already made a statement that he doesn't want to have to worry about the defense, lol. If that isn't moving all your chips into the table on Gregg Williams what is? If Joe Vitt had a problem with Williams he would have told his son in law, "What? Are you crazy giving Gregg all test autonomy?". 

So one less thing to biiiiiitch about huh? I guess some of you are gonna go bat shiiit crazy if this kind of crap keeps up. 

Next thing you know we will see a story about how Gase and Williams are working really well together and having family get togethers with the wives because they get along so well. 

Then we will hear that the Jets have made a few decent moves in free agency that actually make sense.

Then the chips in the first round will fall the Jets way (per 1st rd Mac protocol) and we will get Bosa in a shock selection at #3.

Then all SOJF's will climb to the top of Mt Kilimanjaro and jump da fug off in frustration.

This is why the media sucks.  Even though they buried the hatchet, they will get questions on it from the beat writers.  Question after question.  The same question asked about a thousand different ways until there is a morsel they can try and cause a controversy with.

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

This is why the media sucks.  Even though they buried the hatchet, they will get questions on it from the beat writers.  Question after question.  The same question asked about a thousand different ways until there is a morsel they can try and cause a controversy with.

It's an easy story to write about that will get attention.  That's what the media does.

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

So one less thing to biiiiiitch about huh? I guess some of you are gonna go bat shiiit crazy if this kind of crap keeps up. 

Next thing you know we will see a story about how Gase and Williams are working really well together and having family get togethers with the wives because they get along so well. 

Then we will hear that the Jets have made a few decent moves in free agency that actually make sense.

Then the chips in the first round will fall the Jets way (per 1st rd Mac protocol) and we will get Bosa in a shock selection at #3.

Then all SOJF's will climb to the top of Mt Kilimanjaro and jump da fug off in frustration.

Questions.  Will there be a tailgate to Mt. Kilimanjaro, and will there be a BBQ before the "jumping off" ceremony?  How much will it cost?  Will alcohol be provided, or will it be BYOB?  Are there a limited number of spots available?  Thanks.

16 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Per the report, the two men buried the hatchet a few years ago and Vitt, who is Jets head coach Adam Gase’s father-in-law, recommended Williams for a job on Gase’s staff in Miami heading into the 2017 season. Williams wound up in Cleveland, which delayed until this year a reunion that is apparently less fraught with the potential for problems than some believed.

Father in laws, sons, best friends, all forced on on  each other, each hate one another......what could go wrong? 

17 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Writers are desperate.

I heard that in the second bathroom stall of the Men's Room at Atlantic Health Center someone wrote "Joe Vitt is a pussy" in black Sharpie.

I'm not going to accuse anyone.  Maybe the guilty party will just raise his hand and admit it?

Archived