So I called it Sunday, and CBS Mocks it today! Jets trade w/Redskins. lol!

Gas2No99

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

I’s be fine with the trade down but in no way want to waste the pick on a tight end.

This. Exactly this. No way the Jets take a TE. Especially not with the promising play of Herndon. 

Also, I think they would want more than a first rounder in 2020 and a 5th rounder. I think they would want a 2nd round pick in 2019 as well. That's a deep drop from 3. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys keep quoting Trapasso from cbssports like he has even half of a normal brain.

This is the guy who ranked Mason Rudolph as the #1 QB in last year's draft, right before the draft.  He is so far off the sane-train that quoting him here is pretty much making you look foolish.  Just stop with this guy or at least put a disclaimer up so everyone else who isn't paying attention doesn't get all frothed up over nothing.

I want the Jets to trade down, but the trade proposed in that article is beyond stupid. That's not surprising since I find most CBS Sports mock drafts to be nothing but click-bait idiocy. They'd be trading down from #3 to #15 for virtually nothing in return in the 2019 draft. All they get is a mystery 2020 first round draft pick. 

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

My wife is an aggie, i watched every game this year.  He is a stud TE.  Those complaining about having 2 tight ends, how did it work for the Pats when they had 2 stud tight ends?

You know, before one becane a serial killer

Um... dude, he was always a serial killer.  You just mean before he got caught. 

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

i would think the jets would want a 2nd round pick in a deal like this.  also they're not taking a TE in this scenario.  but a trade does seem logical.

As you said, I'll accept this deal, but not without the 2nd rounder and maybe even instead of the 5th try to get a 4th this year and then also still next years 1st rounder from Washington. I don't know if like others are saying on this board you could fleece them for 1/2/3 this year and next year. Just don't know if in this draft any team would be willing to spend all their premium picks for the next 2 years on any of the QBs available. Ok, then with the 15th pick I'd then probably take G. Little OT and if not there the best available remaining WR like AJ Brown or something. We really need OT/WR to be improved to help Darnold even as a higher priority than the pass rush. Sure our D without more pass rushing help is going to be problematic, but in addition to the draft anyway hopefully we can sign a FA or 2 in that category.

Seriously, the compensation for this move down is too little, and Mac will get fired unless the Jets are much better in 2019.  He can't make a trade unless it gives him many more better players in 2019.

The Jets still need an impact player, for what they need.  This mock is interesting, in that it shows 2 of the other top OL going before 15.  OL always go earlier than you think they do.  15 is too low for the Jets to move down.  If they trade down, it would be great to get a replacement for Beachum.  

Hockenson is a stud.  There is not two ways about it.  I'm not saying I would take him above all else, but there would be worse picks for the Jets, especially at 15.  

Everyone complains about lack of a true #1 receiver.  Having two very good TEs creates just as much stress on a defense.

4 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I was against Hockenson when some were suggesting we take at 3 or 7, but at 15 he is actually good value and someone I could get behind because while he may be a very good pass catching TE, he is also an excellent blocker which would help Darnold/Run game almost as much as a good OL. And since we are trading down  (at least in this scenario) we should have 4 picks between the 2nd/3rd rounds to address WR/OL/RB/defense. 

Now this I agree with. #15 is reasonable. But Greg Little has to be considered at 15 also. 

If the board fell as it is made to be here.

7 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

This would be a HORRIBLE TRADE. Mac may not even be here in 2020, so I doubt that he would move back 12 spots only for a '19 5th rounder and 1st NEXT year. I don't have faith in him to pull of a good value trade, but I doubt that he would expose himself to such criticism if he were to move back from #3, see ALL the EDGE, DT, and top 3 OLine picked by #12 and we settle for a TE in the first round? 

BAD. 

The highlighted portion was all I needed to read to give this post a "Post of the week".

7 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

This would be a HORRIBLE TRADE. Mac may not even be here in 2020, so I doubt that he would move back 12 spots only for a '19 5th rounder and 1st NEXT year. I don't have faith in him to pull of a good value trade, but I doubt that he would expose himself to such criticism if he were to move back from #3, see ALL the EDGE, DT, and top 3 OLine picked by #12 and we settle for a TE in the first round? 

BAD. 

I don’t see Maccagnan trading down at all.

In my opinion, watching every scared move he has made, the guy looks to protect his job first and foremost.  He knows he is not a GM, but you can’t beat the paychecks.

Just like his back to the wall move for a QB last year and a built in excuse of “You can’t fire me now, I just got you a QB, that wouldn’t be fair until you see how the QB plays out.”  That can also be seen with the initial panic play for Kirk (4-25 vs Winning teams) Cousins....”You can’t fire me now, the guy I handed the vault to just won 8 games, just 2 more next year and we’re a playoff team”.

And then God was through punishing Jet fans and Darnold fell from the skies.  That was God, not Maccagnan’s next panic move up to Pick #3 haha....Josh Allen or Rosen could very very easily be the Jet QB right now.

No I see Maccagnan now come out with guns blazing for the first time.  The top FA dollars allocated will go to an IMPACT PLAYER.  I think he gives Bell what he wants.  Which I’m ok with being that he’s outstanding catching the ball too, which protects Darnold in another way, dual threat Bell is.

Impact player at Pick 3 in the Draft too...because this is what Maccagnan needs most...to remain employed after this year.

12 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

forgetting about the predicted terms, b/c i think the jets would get more, i think there is much logic to washington wanting to trade up and the jets wanting more picks.  the jets could probably get the 2nd rounder they gave up last year as well.  and they could take BAP OL and it's a win/win.

The terms are the only problem I have with this scenario.  In fact I suggested it in an earlier thread. I believe I wanted their #15 pick, a second and third this year and next year's #1 and #4.  That seems more logical.

12 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

team lost a lot of face not retain cousins at a reasonable price, now they clearly need a qb and the cowboys and eagles already have them.  i can see mccagnan wanting to trade back that far so he can do his usual BAP in the first round and not have to take a DL at 3 when the team has so many other pressing needs

Can't agree with this premise.  The Redskins acquired Alex Smith as a preemptive strike against Kirk Cousins' pending free agency. Remember that Cousins was franchised two times prior, and was eager to test the free agent market.  There was not going to be any "reasonable price" involved in his signing and the Redskins didn't want to be caught "holding the bag". Cousins belatedly expressed that his "preference" would have been to stay in Washington, but that was after the fact, and was seen as "revisionist history".  He had never expressed this "desire" prior to Smith's acquisition.  There was also a feeling in Washington that they were tired of the Cousins "drama", felt that he couldn't take them to the next level, and felt it was time for a change.  Money was also an issue.

9 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

So we get no value and pick a TE?? What the heck, and this is what you want to happen? What's wrong with you

No, THIS is what I originally posted:

On February 18, 2019 at 12:11 AM, Gas2No99 said:

I keep having flashes that the Jets will trade back from #3 w/the Redskins to #15 and DC's 2nd, 3rd, and 5th rounder; it roughly adds up in value points. That t would give the Jets a 2nd rounder (#46) 3x 3rd rounders (#68 #76 from DC, #93 from NOLA), a 4th rounder, and 2x 5th rounders (3rd in 5th and DC's #15 in 5th), and a 7th rounder. That's 9 picks. 

Would never happen b/c Redskins would have NO picks except the #3 overall and their 7th rounder. 

BUT they would have Haskins/Murray before the Raiders, Giants, Jax, Dolphins, & Bengals. Won't happen.  

NEVER said I wanted it to happen, just that I keep having night terrors of that type of trade occurring and then CBS Sports headlines their next mock 4 days later. Thought it was funny. ***EDIT** Maybe the Jets throw in a later pick back so Redskins may bite?

My point is that the Jets would STILL get hosed in my version (move back 12 spots in '19 1st,gain '19 2nd, 3rd, & 5th) as opposed to their version: move back and only gain a '19 5th and as many aptly stated earlier a "mystery" '20 1st. 

EITHER WAY. The universal sentiment is that MAC WILL FUḈK up in a Trade Back and get HORRIBLE VALUE. It's NOT JUST us Jets fans that perceive this.

9 hours ago, KRL said:

At minimum WSH would have to pay the "QB premium" of a #1, #2 and #3 in 2019 AND a #1 and
#2 in 2020.  If they wanted to split the #1 in 2020 and the #2 in 2021 that would be fine

As stated above, Redskins would have to throw in their 2nd 3rd, and 5th - leaving them bereft of '19 picks except #3 overall and a 7th rounder. Jets would only get present and minimal value, not a premium bounty of future picks meanwhile the Redskins would have to be ENAMORED w/a QB to leave them selves THAT exposed by capitulating the 2019 draft for what could be a RGIII Part Deux.

11 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

2019 NFL Mock Draft: Jets trade back and land T.J. Hockenson:huh:, Dwayne Haskins goes to Giants

Well before the 2018 NFL Draft, the Jets traded three second-round picks and swapped first-rounders with the Colts in a deal that led to Sam Darnold. It's time for New York to replenish their early draft capital.

With Kyler Murray's buzz likely set to intensify over the next two months, Gang Green would presumably not have much difficulty finding a suitor willing to move to the No. 3 overall pick to to take him.

Let's get to the picks.

Nick Bosa, EDGE, Ohio State
Buzz at the combine could fuel speculation that Bosa won't go No. 1 overall here to the Cardinals. Until that happens, he should be considered the best player in this draft, and the Cardinals have a need on the outside of their defensive line, so he's the top pick.

Josh Allen, EDGE, Kentucky
Everyone expects Allen to erupt in Indianapolis, and such a development -- along with his 17 sacks in 2018 at 6-foot-5 and 260 pounds -- would make him a very appealing prospect here for the edge-needy 49ers.

Mock trade with Jets

Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma
The Redskins are a team -- with a front office and coaching staff -- in dire need of an infusion of excitement. The Murray-Robert Griffin III comparisons would represent the low-hanging fruit here, but Murray is a more polished pocket passer than RG3 was, and he can work underneath routes in Jay Gruden's West Coast Offense. I think the Murray hype train goes full steam ahead after the combine.

Mock trade with Redskins

T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa
The Jets have the second-most cap space in the NFL (behind the Colts) and many holes to fill. Hockenson would be a tantalizing option. Yes, Chris Herndon had a solid rookie season, but two good tight ends are better than one good tight end. New York wanted to move back to regain some of the picks it lost in the ascension to get Sam Darnold in 2018. The Jets receive Washington's 2020 first-round pick and a fifth-round selection in 2019. :blink::angry:

IF this goes down because you said it, and we pick a TE and ONLY get a 5th out of this, we will hunt you down.   Unless two other first rounders are coming our way, we will hunt you down.

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

No, THIS is what I originally posted:

NEVER said I wanted it to happen, just that I keep having night terrors of that type of trade occurring and then CBS Sports headlines their next mock 4 days later. Thought it was funny. ***EDIT** Maybe the Jets throw in a later pick back so Redskins may bite?

My point is that the Jets would STILL get hosed in my version (move back 12 spots in '19 1st,gain '19 2nd, 3rd, & 5th) as opposed to their version: move back and only gain a '19 5th and as many aptly stated earlier a "mystery" '20 1st. 

EITHER WAY. The universal sentiment is that MAC WILL FUḈK up in a Trade Back and get HORRIBLE VALUE. It's NOT JUST us Jets fans that perceive this.

As stated above, Redskins would have to throw in their 2nd 3rd, and 5th - leaving them bereft of '19 picks except #3 overall and a 7th rounder. Jets would only get present and minimal value, not a premium bounty of future picks meanwhile the Redskins would have to be ENAMORED w/a QB to leave them selves THAT exposed by capitulating the 2019 draft for what could be a RGIII Part Deux.

Ah yes then I agree with you, it would be horrible! Well done. And now I further understand the mock draft just shows one horrible possibility in that situation.  But in likelynes it would probably be worse than this mock.

A 1st and a 5th to go from 15th to 3rd?!?!?!?! Please tell me I didnt read that correctly. 

15th to 3rd FOR A QB you're talking about the kind of capital the Skins gave up for RGIII which I believe was THREE 1st rounders and a 2nd.

Edit: AND THE REDSKINS WERE ONLY TRADING UP TO 2 FROM 6!!! The writer of this article is smoking crack. 

12 hours ago, KRL said:

At minimum WSH would have to pay the "QB premium" of a #1, #2 and #3 in 2019 AND a #1 and
#2 in 2020.  If they wanted to split the #1 in 2020 and the #2 in 2021 that would be fine

Look what Wash gave up to get RGII 7 years ago and that was only 6 to 2!? This has to be hands down the worst mock of the offseason.

If Mac ever signed off on this trade the league should overrule it and ban him for life for collusion. 

5 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I don’t see Maccagnan trading down at all.

In my opinion, watching every scared move he has made, the guy looks to protect his job first and foremost.  He knows he is not a GM, but you can’t beat the paychecks.

Just like his back to the wall move for a QB last year and a built in excuse of “You can’t fire me now, I just got you a QB, that wouldn’t be fair until you see how the QB plays out.”  That can also be seen with the initial panic play for Kirk (4-25 vs Winning teams) Cousins....”You can’t fire me now, the guy I handed the vault to just won 8 games, just 2 more next year and we’re a playoff team”.

And then God was through punishing Jet fans and Darnold fell from the skies.  That was God, not Maccagnan’s next panic move up to Pick #3 haha....Josh Allen or Rosen could very very easily be the Jet QB right now.

No I see Maccagnan now come out with guns blazing for the first time.  The top FA dollars allocated will go to an IMPACT PLAYER.  I think he gives Bell what he wants.  Which I’m ok with being that he’s outstanding catching the ball too, which protects Darnold in another way, dual threat Bell is.

Impact player at Pick 3 in the Draft too...because this is what Maccagnan needs most...to remain employed after this year.

Agreed, I've sharing this sentiment lately. One of the only successes on his resume have been the majority of his first round picks because he has had almost entirely top 10 picks in which the safest, hard to argue against player fell into his lap. And not for nothing, with the way Leo has developed (and Lee) I would argue that he hasn't even drafted well in the first round either. 

He had been awful outside of the first round and he has been awful inside the first round when outside of the top 10 picks. He doesnt have the balls to trade back to the middle of the round in a year that is this important to his future. 

4 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Agreed, I've sharing this sentiment lately. One of the only successes on his resume have been the majority of his first round picks because he has had almost entirely top 10 picks in which the safest, hard to argue against player fell into his lap. And not for nothing, with the way Leo has developed (and Lee) I would argue that he hasn't even drafted well in the first round either. 

He had been awful outside of the first round and he has been awful inside the first round when outside of the top 10 picks. He doesnt have the balls to trade back to the middle of the round in a year that is this important to his future. 

Absolutely.

I actually cringe at the thought of Maccagnan picking lower than Pick 3 this year and think it’s way too much of a gamble for a trade down even if it’s for an extra 1 next year.  

They very well might have that extra 1 fall into the middle of the pack and Maccagnan could whiff on this year’s trade down 1 and if he still has his job, which I actually expect he will, not because of any competence on his part but because of the budding greatness of Sam Darnold, a whiff in next years traded 1.

Even more cringe worthy is some trade that doesn’t even include a 1 but some form of multiple 2’s and 3’s.

And you’re also right about his 1st Rd. selections, tired of hearing him get credit for “at least he knows what he’s doing in the 1st Rd, lots of 1st Rd picks bust for other teams, well again, that didn’t happen with Maccagnan”.

If Wiilliams and Lee weren’t on the team, would anyone know the difference?

Williams was a scared consensus pick, how many DTs did they need at the time? It actually pushed another former 1st Rder our of position with the 290lb Richardson playing LB some downs.  Lee had Bowles idiot finger prints all over it, along with the Safety’s.  Which shows a GM allowing himself to be pushed around.

Vic Beasley was the correct pick there in the Williams draft.  But drafting potential pass rushers is “scary” business in the NFL.  So many bust, probably at the same rate as QBs.  So hard to project how a kid who has had it easy flying past other kids in college will be able to get by men....so Maccagnan took the scared, safe way out...as he did with drafting Jamal Adams at 6 when Mahomes and Watson were both sitting there.

Need Divine Intervention again...just like last year.  Just hope PURE LUCK rules the day on Draft Day this year.

7 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

I think williams was a worse pick than lee.  There were other guys who the jets could have picked instead of williams, at different positions, who have had far better careers so far than him.  Look at the rest of the first round in the 2016 draft, the guys taken after lee are nothing special.  

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think williams was a worse pick than lee.  There were other guys who the jets could have picked instead of williams, at different positions, who have had far better careers so far than him.  Look at the rest of the first round in the 2016 draft, the guys taken after lee are nothing special.  

Aside from Gurley who are you talking about exactly?

What people fail to realize is that Mac (and every other single GM alive) cares about his professional career first, and the jets second.  When the draft unfolds like it did, and the "consensus, no-questions asked, absolute BPA" is sitting there at 6, you take him.  Not only did Leo have the best statistical chance to be a good player, but because if you pass on Leo for Erick Flowers, you get fired.  If you simply pick Leo, and he is average and not great - guess what, you keep your job, just like has happened.

Taking Leo probably got Mac 2 additional years of being a GM and $4 million dollars - Id say he thinks it was a smart pick.

3 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Aside from Gurley who are you talking about exactly?

What people fail to realize is that Mac (and every other single GM alive) cares about his professional career first, and the jets second.  When the draft unfolds like it did, and the "consensus, no-questions asked, absolute BPA" is sitting there at 6, you take him.  Not only did Leo have the best statistical chance to be a good player, but because if you pass on Leo for Erick Flowers, you get fired.  If you simply pick Leo, and he is average and not great - guess what, you keep your job, just like has happened.

Taking Leo probably got Mac 2 additional years of being a GM and $4 million dollars - Id say he thinks it was a smart pick.

Beasley, peat and Gordon, to name 3.

Archived