So I called it Sunday, and CBS Mocks it today! Jets trade w/Redskins. lol!

Gas2No99

8 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

You would be fine with that compensation? That's less than we gave up last year to move up a couple spots. 

Yep.  I have no interest in any of the players at the top of th draft anyway.  I’d be happy to move down, even if it isn’t an even trade.  There isn’t anyone special to move up for this year, so you aren’t going to see one of the huge hauls in return.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Beasley, peat and Gordon, to name 3.

While Beasley is a fair argument because he was actually considered a top 10 prospect at a position of need, the other 2 examples are ridiculous.  

We should have taken Melvin Gordon at 6 that year?  With Williams on the board?  The fan base would have had a coronary if that happened.

And as for Peat, he's an average guard, nothing more.  Again - a worse player then Leo.

You can't simply cherry pick players 4 years after the draft and say we should have taken them.  Thats not how you make a fair assessment of a pick or player

13 minutes ago, BCJet said:

While Beasley is a fair argument because he was actually considered a top 10 prospect at a position of need, the other 2 examples are ridiculous.  

We should have taken Melvin Gordon at 6 that year?  With Williams on the board?  The fan base would have had a coronary if that happened.

And as for Peat, he's an average guard, nothing more.  Again - a worse player then Leo.

You can't simply cherry pick players 4 years after the draft and say we should have taken them.  Thats not how you make a fair assessment of a pick or player

My only point is that there are players taking in the spots after williams who have played well while there are no players taken right after lee who have played well.  We are discussing the draft picks with the benefit of hindsight, that’s the fun of it.  

Who cares what the fans would have thought.  We’re looking at performance on the field, not the fan’s reactions.  We would all be much happier now if the jets had taken Gordon instead, and that’s what we’re evaluating.  There were some draft experts who criticized the redskins for taking Schereff but i wager most of us here would trade williams for him in a second.

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

My only point is that there are players taking in the spots after williams who have played well while there are no players taken right after lee who have played well.  We are discussing the draft picks with the benefit of hindsight, that’s the fun of it.  

Who cares what the fans would have thought.  We’re looking at performance on the field, not the fan’s reactions.  We would all be much happier now if the jets had taken Gordon instead, and that’s what we’re evaluating.  There were some draft experts who criticized the redskins for taking Schereff but i wager most of us here would trade williams for him in a second.

I agree, that hindsight does make for interesting conversation.

My issue with Mac stems a LOT more from who he passed on other times as opposed to Williams (or Lee, who I agree was a good pick at the time as we needed a fast LB - we just need one who has more maturity and a coach who puts him in the best position to use his skills.)

Mac's biggest draft mistake in my opinion was trading the 3rd rounder to Minnesota with Pat Elfein on the board.  Elfein was a value at the time, considered a 2nd/3rd rounder and it was the 3rd round at a position of ENORMOUS need C/G, and big time college experience coming from ohio state.  Instead, we trade the pick and take a WR who didnt have one elite level skill to work with and is now out of the league.  Having Elfein here now, would allow us so much flexibility in FA and the draft in building the interior of the Oline, and instead we have a goose egg of a 3rd round pick.

1 minute ago, BCJet said:

I agree, that hindsight does make for interesting conversation.

My issue with Mac stems a LOT more from who he passed on other times as opposed to Williams (or Lee, who I agree was a good pick at the time as we needed a fast LB - we just need one who has more maturity and a coach who puts him in the best position to use his skills.)

Mac's biggest draft mistake in my opinion was trading the 3rd rounder to Minnesota with Pat Elfein on the board.  Elfein was a value at the time, considered a 2nd/3rd rounder and it was the 3rd round at a position of ENORMOUS need C/G, and big time college experience coming from ohio state.  Instead, we trade the pick and take a WR who didnt have one elite level skill to work with and is now out of the league.  Having Elfein here now, would allow us so much flexibility in FA and the draft in building the interior of the Oline, and instead we have a goose egg of a 3rd round pick.

Mccagnan seems to have ignored offense in general until darnold, and the OL in particular, in all his drafts and I’m wondering if that’s b/c he never saw a need b/c he didn’t have a qb worth investing those picks.  Or it could just be his warped drafting philosophy.  Regardless, his trade lucked him into darnold and now we’ll see if he follows what the colts did to prolong luck’s career or if he stays at 3 and drafts another DL. 

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Mccagnan seems to have ignored offense in general until darnold, and the OL in particular, in all his drafts and I’m wondering if that’s b/c he never saw a need b/c he didn’t have a qb worth investing those picks.  Or it could just be his warped drafting philosophy.  Regardless, his trade lucked him into darnold and now we’ll see if he follows what the colts did to prolong luck’s career or if he stays at 3 and drafts another DL. 

Maybe he felt it was unimportant until he found a QB? There is no doubt in my mind after hiring an offensive coach, the Oline is numero uno concern, Gase knows who & how Miami defended the Jets. Darnold now has Quincy, Anderson, Herndon, (I think Burnett should be groomed for a cheap slot WR) Deontay & Sam have history & look to have a connection. What we need is a big strong fast outside WR added to this group and we need a stud RB.

Lets get this offensive system in place & the players needed to run it so Sam can get comfortable and better with each game played. Let's hope they're rolling in December.

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Aside from Gurley who are you talking about exactly?

What people fail to realize is that Mac (and every other single GM alive) cares about his professional career first, and the jets second.  When the draft unfolds like it did, and the "consensus, no-questions asked, absolute BPA" is sitting there at 6, you take him.  Not only did Leo have the best statistical chance to be a good player, but because if you pass on Leo for Erick Flowers, you get fired.  If you simply pick Leo, and he is average and not great - guess what, you keep your job, just like has happened.

Taking Leo probably got Mac 2 additional years of being a GM and $4 million dollars - Id say he thinks it was a smart pick.

That's why you need a GM with balls who isn't afraid of the backlash.

Archived