Le’Veon Bell or Antonio Brown will the Jets be Interested? NY Jets Podcast

Maxman

So every week we do a podcast. Glenn Naughton hosts it. All of the episodes can be found here: https://www.jetnation.com/ny-jets-podcast/

We are also putting it out in video format each week. We have been fortunate enough to have some new, very talented help. So we are stepping up our video game. More cool stuff coming soon.

SNY should take note.  With the trash we get subjected to on a nightly basis, it is nice to get some quality, cohesive Jets talk for a change.  Thank you Glen Naughton.  Good to hear the Quinnen Williams is still in play for us if we stay at the three, even if they go to a 3-4 defense. Excellent segment on "busts;, enjoyed every painful minute of that "walk down nightmare lane".

22 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

SNY should take note.  With the trash we get subjected to on a nightly basis, it is nice to get some quality, cohesive Jets talk for a change.  Thank you Glen Naughton.  Good to hear the Quinnen Williams is still in play for us if we stay at the three, even if they go to a 3-4 defense. Excellent segment on "busts;, enjoyed every painful minute of that "walk down nightmare lane".

Thanks! Dear SNY don't take note. We don't want you taking any of our people lol.

I spoke to them last off season. They wanted someone from the site to go on air for the draft coverage. They came off as very arrogant (in my opinion). They reached out to us, they said come in for some auditions. There was no guarantees and they couldn't even give me dates.  They acted like they were doing us a favor. No thanks.

They tried selling me an ad years ago. Always struck me as weird, they promote Jets Nation on the air and want me to pay for an ad. Um, okay.

11 minutes ago, Maxman said:

spoke to them last off season. They wanted someone from the site to go on air for the draft coverage. They came off as very arrogant (in my opinion). They reached out to us, they said come in for some auditions

I just wish they used the same policy before they trot out the "talent" they subject their viewership to on a daily basis.  The few talented people they do employ, air for a brief time then are vanquished and replaced for no apparent reason.  They act as if all "players" in their programming are interchangeable parts that can be plugged in and extracted at their whim.  It reeks of politics { don't ban me please} or a reluctance to pay their people.  I don't know which.  What  I do know is that it results in a somewhat unwatchable product.  For a major "player" in the New York Sports scene, this is regrettable and sad.

This was great. Thank you!

A few thought on the topics discussed.

-100% agree on going after Bell and avoiding Brown like the plague. For all the same reasons, negative impact on locket room, age, massive contract, etc. etc. Bell is a different story entirely and can completely change the offense. He's younger, coming off a year where he pretty much rested his body and the Jets have the cap space to front load his contract so that they can get out of it after 3 seasons without taking on a ton of dead cap. 

-3-4 vs 4-3: 100% agree that Gregg Williams (and most D-coordinators) simply don't focus on the base formation as much as they do on versatility and ability to come up with a variety of schemes. These days in the NFL you want depth and guys that can do different things and line up at different positions. So yeah, personnel wise it may make sense to stay in a 3-4 but the Jets will be playing a ton of nickel and 4-3 or 3-4 hybrid formations that are essentially 4-3 but with hybrid players that can play both.

-DRAFT: It's SO HARD to predict what the jets will do in the draft b/c they will be such big players in FA. But if we are to assume they fill in (at least to a degree) their biggest needs at CB, O-line and Edge. If we are to assume they CAN'T trade down (which is what they will try to do). And if we only look at the #3 overall pick...I think its clearly going to be Bosa (if he falls), Allen or QW. Assuming Bosa goes #1 its really between Allen and QW.

As much as Glenn loves the idea of Allen playing on the outside and being able to drop into coverage in a 3-4 scheme. I love the idea of QW lining up next to Leo in a 4-3 and wreaking havoc on the O-line. In fact, I think he is talented and strong enough to play DE in a 3-4 depending on the formation and situation. And Anderson is a FA, he had a good season and will not be cheap to bring back. Honestly, I can go with either guy at #3 overall. But if the Jets cant move down and the draft goes Bosa, Allen...I take QW at #3 overall.

Of course, you need to evaluate who you have on the roster and who you want to bring back or cut to clear cap. The Jets already cut Long. Will they bring back Mo Claiborne? H.Anderson? Do they cut Beachem? Once they figure that out the FA targets become much clearer. 

To me, the Jets should go hard after Paradis-C and bring in a LG who can start instead of Carpenter. Top priority needs to be fortifying the O-line with guys that can come in right away and play at a high level. O-line is top priority. If the Jets feel like Beachem is adequate at LT, fine. If not, cut him (save 8+ mil) and sign another starter like Brown. Just take care of O-line first and foremost.

Going after Bell is important, it's not often you get a shot at a guy like that. But would he even want to play for a team that ignores its O-line? I don't think so. And there's nobody in the draft I can see stepping right in and starting at LT. Certainly no guarantee, whether you are picking at 3 or first overall.  

Then, it's Edge rusher. There's a lot of pass rushers out there and getting one of them is #2 priority. Regardless of whether the target at 3 in the draft is Allen or QW or whomever. 

I'm not as concerned about the weapons for Darnold. I like Robby and the Jets will most certainly put a 1st rd tender on him. Enunwa is under contract and Herndon already proved he can be a solid target for Sam. Burnette looked good and I'm sure the Jets will bring him back. The rest will come together via FA and the draft. I'm simply not as concerned about that as I am about finding a proven edge rusher and solidifying the O-line. 

CB is also not as much of a concern to me b/c they have very promising young safeties in Mays and Adams, they are pretty much stuck with T.Johnson so they just have to find a way to make him be more successful (clearly he is a talented starting caliber NFL CB despite his off year with the Jets) and they have some promising young CBs in Nickerson, Jones, and Robinson. If they bring back Mo, they are pretty much set apart from adding more depth. And that is assuming they let Skrine and D.Roberts walk, which they probably should do. 

4 hours ago, The Gooch said:

Yeah,would we end up with some of that Steelers personality?

That " Steelers Personality" has not been very good, as of late, the last three years in particular.  The Roethlisraper allegations, the two year LeVeon Bell "franchise" saga, the Brown "hissyfit" drama, the James Harrison "departure".  All of these "Personality Defects" have resulted in little success on the field in the post season, and have put Coach Mike Tomlin squarely on the Hot Seat. Are you sure you want that "Steelers Personality" here in NY with our Jets?  I don't.

18 hours ago, Maxman said:

Thanks! Dear SNY don't take note. We don't want you taking any of our people lol.

I spoke to them last off season. They wanted someone from the site to go on air for the draft coverage. They came off as very arrogant (in my opinion). They reached out to us, they said come in for some auditions. There was no guarantees and they couldn't even give me dates.  They acted like they were doing us a favor. No thanks.

They tried selling me an ad years ago. Always struck me as weird, they promote Jets Nation on the air and want me to pay for an ad. Um, okay.

Max at the SNY audition

Archived