" Compensatory picks help the rich get richer " ~ ~ ~

kelly

The only player in recent memory I can recall the Jets losing in free agency is Snacks Harrison. Pretty crazy to think about just how awful the talent has been over the past decade or so. 

Although the Bridgewater trade was essentially a compensatory pick. 

The Rams and Pats are getting compensatory because the Jets and Titans handed out awful contracts to Trumaine Johnson and Malcolm Butler. 

1 hour ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The only player in recent memory I can recall the Jets losing in free agency is Snacks Harrison. Pretty crazy to think about just how awful the talent has been over the past decade or so. 

The Rams and Pats are getting compensatory because the Jets and Titans handed out awful contracts to Trumaine Johnson and Malcolm Butler. 

Butler was an UDFA, why the hell should losing him give them a 3rd round compensatory pick? It's ridiculous.

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Butler was an UDFA, why the hell should losing him give them a 3rd round compensatory pick? It's ridiculous.

If someone pays a large contract to someone, that is in some sense a better gauge of true value than draft status or accolades.  Butler actually had a quietly good second half of the season (despite being terrible for the first half).

I like the comp system in principle.  It rewards teams for developing talent, and it can help out small market teams where big name FAs don't want to play.  Of course its also going to reward the best teams for managing rosters correctly.

At the end of the day, the reason the Ravens, Seahawks, Steelers and Patriots do well in these sorts of systems is b/c they are better at putting a price to a players performance than the rest of the league.  The abolition of the comp draft system won't change that fundamental advantage.

On 2/23/2019 at 9:55 AM, WayneChrebet80 said:

Snacks was awesome. Yeah good thing macc saved that 300k on not resigning him for some jag that definitely didnt cost us a game or two (hint he did )

5 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Snacks was awesome. Yeah good thing macc saved that 300k on not resigning him for some jag that definitely didnt cost us a game or two (hint he did )

Snacks over Wilkerson all day. I've been born out on this, with the wonderful Gato mega "sign Mo Wilkerson threads". Don't ever pay 3-4 Ends elite edge rusher money.

Archived