Is Crabtree better than what we got?

David Harris

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We need a #1 WR like Antonio Brown....... NO MORE JAG's or DRAFT Metcalf stop bringing in washed up other teams failures and castoffs. 

We're not drafting Metcalf at 3 and the steelers want Brown to go to the NFC.  I agree we do need a real legit #1 WR but depth is also a need and we currently have none

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We need a #1 WR like Antonio Brown....... NO MORE JAG's or DRAFT Metcalf stop bringing in washed up other teams failures and castoffs. 

Sure.  Same is true at similar positions of need, namely Edge rusher, but the reality is that we have but a single 1st round pick.  So some of this will need to be addressed in free agency.  Not sure which position(s) it will be, but the Jets MUST go after some names in FA, because absent a trade-back, it's a long way in between pick #3 and the 3rd round.  That said, I think Crabtree would be a poor choice. 

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

We're not drafting Metcalf at 3 and the steelers want Brown to go to the NFC.  I agree we do need a real legit #1 WR but depth is also a need and we currently have none

Depth is a funny and what some consider depth remember when we had Devin Smith,Jalin Marshall,Chad Hansen we had all kinds of depth many said too bad it sucked no more JAG'S!!!!!!!!

Did they say why Baltimore is cutting him loose?  I assume he doesn't fit in well with Jackson.  With a guy like Jackson, I'd want speed guys and big YAC guys.  That is not Crabtree. His numbers were pretty good with Flacco.  He also seems a bit crazy.  I think he has value as a WR, but I'm not sure that I like him for us. 

Crabtree has had a very inconsistent career.  A few pretty good years, but then they are mixed in with some pretty bad ones..  He was never the fastest or quickest guy, and he doesn't have a lot of margin of error anymore.  Especially when as a possession receiver, he fails to make catches.

He's a number 2 or 3 at this stage of his career, and we already have a surplus of those.

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think this guy is washed up but it doesn't surprise me the Ravens are cutting receivers since they don't have a QB. They're bringing football back to 1905.

...and yet even without "a Quarterback". they're still way better then the Jets, aren't they? 

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Weak wideout draft and FA.

does he have anything left, he’s to be cut by Baltimore.

maybe  nice outside possession guy to go w Anderson’s GO routes; and Quincy does his best work in the slot.

Jets should be looking to trade a late round pick for a WR that eases a cap strapped team like the Falcons who a wealth of WRs. Trade a 5 for Sanu. 

Sign Le'veon Bell, Saffold + Paradis, and a Pass rusher, trade for Sanu, trade back if possible and draft another lineman, RB, WR, and CB.

With a revamped Oline, a 2nd year Sam, Enunwa-Anderson- Sanu- Burnett- Herndon- Bell + Henderson or Jacobs? Is plenty for Darnold to do some work. 

Plus you would be drafting another WR & you could still grab a hungry Vet for a year.

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Jets should be looking for a late round pick for a WR that eases a cap strapped team like the Falcons who a wealth of WRs. Trade a 5 for Sanu. 

Sign Le'veon Bell, Saffold + Paradis, and a Pass rusher, trade for Sanu, trade back if possible and draft another lineman, RB, WR, and CB.

Yes this guy gets it! 

47 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Jets should be looking to trade a late round pick for a WR that eases a cap strapped team like the Falcons who a wealth of WRs. Trade a 5 for Sanu. 

With a revamped Oline, a 2nd year Sam, Enunwa-Anderson- Sanu- Burnett- Herndon- Bell + Henderson or Jacobs? Is plenty for Darnold to do some work. 

Plus you would be drafting another WR & you could still grab a hungry Vet for a year.

Don't know about Bell, and am pretty sure he's not coming here.  The rest of it looks great.  Balanced, well reasoned, and possible.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Did they say why Baltimore is cutting him loose?  I assume he doesn't fit in well with Jackson.  With a guy like Jackson, I'd want speed guys and big YAC guys.  That is not Crabtree. His numbers were pretty good with Flacco.  He also seems a bit crazy.  I think he has value as a WR, but I'm not sure that I like him for us. 

Big salary- something like $9.6 mill next year. But by this cut Baltimore only saves like 5 and change and is eating the other four to be gone with him

Crabtree is about the same age as Brandon Marshall when we got him late in his career. If we could get 1 good year out of him - like we did Marshall - it would be worth it. So we just need Mac to do one of his patent 2 year deals that gets us out easy in 1 year. 

31 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Crabtree is about the same age as Brandon Marshall when we got him late in his career. If we could get 1 good year out of him - like we did Marshall - it would be worth it. So we just need Mac to do one of his patent 2 year deals that gets us out easy in 1 year. 

Why?? The last two years he averaged 56 catches and 612 yards / season. Last year he caught three touchdown passes. He caught passes thrown his way at a 56% completion rate over the last two years.  That is not good.  If this is a name recognition thing, the play doesn't live up to the name.  This production and talent can be found anytime, anywhere, by a younger, anybody.

I don't know if it's gonna be Crabtree, but we're gonna kick the tires on somebody or another this offseason. I'd be shocked if the Jets went with Q, Robby and a box of UDFA scraps or something, using a roster spot on one vet on a one year deal wont kill the team long term.

It's all about route running intelligence when it comes to this offense as best as I can tell. Is Crabtree known for that? How about Tate? 

16 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Depth is a funny and what some consider depth remember when we had Devin Smith,Jalin Marshall,Chad Hansen we had all kinds of depth many said too bad it sucked no more JAG'S!!!!!!!!

You’re right we have depth at WR 

Bad depth

13 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Why?? The last two years he averaged 56 catches and 612 yards / season. Last year he caught three touchdown passes. He caught passes thrown his way at a 56% completion rate over the last two years.  That is not good.  If this is a name recognition thing, the play doesn't live up to the name.  This production and talent can be found anytime, anywhere, by a younger, anybody.

And those stats are better than any wr on our current roster not named Robby

If a young Julio Jones was available UFA sure I’d love to get him but there is literally nothing out there

17 hours ago, David Harris said:

Weak wideout draft and FA.

does he have anything left, he’s to be cut by Baltimore.

maybe  nice outside possession guy to go w Anderson’s GO routes; and Quincy does his best work in the slot.

Short answer No... I think Robby, Q, and Herndon showed huge improvement this year and will be fine.. Do we need something other than those guys, yes.  But that person needs to be better than Crabtree and his initials should resemble nothing of AB.  That guy is a cancer.

Just now, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

Short answer No... I think Robby, Q, and Herndon showed huge improvement this year and will be fine.. Do we need something other than those guys, yes.  But that person needs to be better than Crabtree and his initials should resemble nothing of AB.  That guy is a cancer.

Q is always injured and Robby is an ok 2nd receiver

Jets fans love overrating their WRs

14 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And those stats are better than any wr on our current roster not named Robby

If a young Julio Jones was available UFA sure I’d love to get him but there is literally nothing out there

The Ravens signed him to a 3 year deal. Watched him practice and saw what he did during games and said, "Thanks, but we'll pass on bringing you back." And the Ravens are very thin at WR. 

Crabtree was a fine WR in his prime who had serious issues dropping passes. Now he is an older, slower WR that drops way too many passes. 

17 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I remember arguing with Crazycarl about how overrated Crabtree is. He gets open and is great in the RZ, but he isn't a deep threat and routinely leads the NFL in drops. He's a guy you get to fill out the bottom of your roster at this stage of his career. 

He's a guy you leave alone on free agency until you suffer an injury.  The bottom of the roster is meant for players who can contribute on special teams, which Crabtree cannot.

Archived