Former NFL 2nd-round pick Christian Hackenberg benched by AAF coach Mike Singletary

thshadow

I'm pretty sure he's just one or two leagues away from finding a level he'd be good at...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-nfl-2-ndround-pick-christian-hackenberg-benched-by-aaf-coach-mike-singletary-055319373.html

Former NFL 2nd-round pick Christian Hackenberg benched by AAF coach Mike Singletary

Yahoo Sports Jason Owens,Yahoo Sports 14 hours ago 
Former Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg lost his AAF job three weeks into the season. (Getty) Former Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg lost his AAF job three weeks into the season. (Getty)

At one point in his Penn State career, quarterback Christian Hackenberg was considered a first-round NFL draft prospect.

Fast forward to 2019, and he’s hit a new professional low point. The No. 51 overall pick by the New York Jets in 2016 never threw an NFL pass and was last seen in the league on the Cincinnati Bengals practice squad in 2018.

Hackenberg benched in AAF

He recently signed with the Memphis Express of the upstart Alliance of American Football. But he lost his starting job there on Monday, when head coach Mike Singletary announced that former LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger will be the starter next week.

Hackenberg went 8–for–14 with 88 yards and two interceptions in the first half of Saturday’s 21-17 loss to the Orlando Apollos. Singletary replaced Hackenberg with Mettenberger with the Express trailing 9-0 at halftime.

Mettenberger wins job after big Sunday

″(Mettenberger’s) been through a lot and he’s been fighting every day to try and be the best he can be,” Singletary told reporters Monday. “He studies like crazy. He’s a leader.”

Mettenberger staged a rally that fell short with 120 yards and two touchdowns in the second half.

“The lift Zach gave the team last week, it was a great feeling,” Singletary said. “To see a young man go out and make plays and really change the momentum in the game. We just have to put a whole game together.”

The Johnsons should still be looking at this as they evaluate Mac this year. 

If there is anyt doubt whatsoever as to whether Mac should keep his job, they should look at how bad the Hackenburg pick was.

I wish him no harm, but this pick was just completely broken.    Mac used a second round draft pick, passing over players like Cody Whitehair, to pick a QB that was otherwise undraftable.  His own college coach, for a team without a QB at the time, passed on his a few picks prior.  

This pick demonstrated that Mac really has not a clue about scouting and drafting.  

Hack’s legacy lives.  He may have done it again with Nathan Shepherd.  Mac is on the clock.  

7 minutes ago, nico002 said:

sh*t on Mac all you want but everyone loved the pick when it happened. He’ll, after his freshman year Hack was the consensus #1 pick in the draft. Then he lost his coach/players and he regressed. In retrospect- I like the move at the time.

Stick with your admiration of Sam. Much more becoming.

8 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Amazing how bad this kid is, and how much money he's made from being frankly awful.

Look, I’m not trying to single you out here, but what’s amazing is how much venom Jets fans have for this young man, and how much pleasure grown men take in watching a seemingly good person struggle.

People on this site never look as petty and small as when they denigrate him the way they do. Macc picked him in the second round. He didn’t pick himself. What was the kid supposed to do, get on the phone and tell him he was crazy for doing it?

People here need to grow up and move on from this. Give the kid a break, he’s doing what he loves. Is that really such a bad thing?

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Look, I’m not trying to single you out here, but what’s amazing is how much venom Jets fans like you have for this kid, and how much pleasure grown men take in watching a good kid struggle.

its one of the worst things I see in people on this site. Macc picked him in the second round. He didn’t pick himself. What was the kid supposed to do, get on the phone and tell him he was crazy for doing it?

you guys have to grow up and move on from this. Give the kid a break, he’s doing what he loves. Is that really such a bad thing?

Wrong, personally I could not give a fook about Christian Hackenberg.

A thread was started here about him being benched. I made a reply based on fact not hate. He was a bad pick, I moved on a long time ago. We have Sam Darnold he's my man not Christian Hackenberg.

The truth is that he is aweful, and isn't a QB, not even at AAF level. You're reflecting your belief on me and that's not what I think or feel about Mr Hackenberg. 

The true is he has made some good money for being terrible. It's more the irony of football in general, that's so desperate for Quarterbacks, they will keep giving scrubs like Christian Hackenberg a second chance.

It's not me personally hating, I'm just giving my opinion on him. Hope that's made it more clear to you on my thoughts?

Well the Jets did one thing right with Hackly - they never let him touch the field in a regular season game for 2 years. Good call there. I though maybe Hack might have turned the corner for about 3 minutes in his last game with Orlando - I saw him complete a decent pass - he actually had a drive going but they didn't score. Hack always seems a step behind. He stares down 1 receiver so the whole defense knows where he's going with the ball and by the time he throws it there are usually 2 defenders on the receiver. He doesn't throw the receiver open he reacts and then its too late. The kid just doesn't have it. He will be bagging groceries by this time next year - oh my bad he has a college degree - I guess he might get a data entry job somewhere.  

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

Wrong, personally I could not give a fook about Christian Hackenberg.

A thread was started here about him being benched. I made a reply based on fact not hate. He was a bad pick, I moved on a long time ago. We have Sam Darnold he's my man not Christian Hackenberg.

The truth is that he is aweful, and isn't a QB, not even at AAF level. You're reflecting your belief on me and that's not what I think or feel about Mr Hackenberg. 

The true is he has made some good money for being terrible. It's more the irony of football in general, that's so desperate for Quarterbacks, they will keep giving scrubs like Christian Hackenberg a second chance.

It's not me personally hating, I'm just giving my opinion on him. Hope that's made it more clear to you on my thoughts?

I tried to make the point I didn’t mean to single you out. The reason I quoted you was your “it’s amazing” comment. I then went on about what I thought was amazing.

Your post wasn’t anywhere close to being the worst I’ve seen, it was simply the latest. I’m sorry if I made it seem you were being as unfair as others.

where you lose me is the comparison to Darnold. Look, I agree Darnold is better at QBing right now, but this “he’s my man” stuff will only last if and for how long he plays better then he did last year. If he doesn’t it won’t be long before you post in threads mocking Darnold,

where do I differ here?I don’t want to come off holier then thou, but I’m only on this site a few months. When I first started posting, I told everyone I might mock a team, but I’d never do it to a player, and would rarely if ever do it to a coach. I played a sport at the D-1 level,and because of that I have way too much respect for those who are both lucky and good enough to try playing at the next level. I purposely said “lucky” because sometimes that’s all that separates those who succeed and those who don’t. The right situation, and timing mean almost as much as the skill set. I’ve never put on football pads in my life, but I’ve played with and against guys who went on to play in MLB. Trust me, none of them stunk, everyone of them was an elite ball player.

Hackenburg started at a top level D1 school. He was drafted by a NFL team. He doesn’t stink, he simply might have reached a level where he isn’t good enough to succeed. Oh and btw, he wasn’t helped very much by the team and situation he was drafted into.

44 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Well the Jets did one thing right with Hackly - they never let him touch the field in a regular season game for 2 years. Good call there. I though maybe Hack might have turned the corner for about 3 minutes in his last game with Orlando - I saw him complete a decent pass - he actually had a drive going but they didn't score. Hack always seems a step behind. He stares down 1 receiver so the whole defense knows where he's going with the ball and by the time he throws it there are usually 2 defenders on the receiver. He doesn't throw the receiver open he reacts and then its too late. The kid just doesn't have it. He will be bagging groceries by this time next year - oh my bad he has a college degree - I guess he might get a data entry job somewhere.  

Thanks for helping me expound on the point I was just making to @BurnleyJet.Dont worry about “Hackly” he’ll be fine. He won’t be bagging groceries. As you said he has a degree from a very good University. Not only that, at age 24 he’s probably earned more money then you have in your life, and if he hasn’t yet, he most certainly will. But you just go ahead and joke he may get a data entry job next year. LOL

So yeah, make fun of the kid who “didn’t make it”. You know the one. He’s the guy you wish you could’ve been, and the one you hope your child will grow up to be just like. Educated, well mannered, driven, and yes, wealthy.

There is no comparison to Darnold. I'm stating Sam's my man, i.e. it's not related to Hackenberg.

Hack had one good year under O'Brian, then he was a disaster under Franklin. Some draft pundits gave him an undrafted grade. Which in hindsight was spot on.

Macc made a big mistake, it happens. It especially happens in the second round for the Jets. He thought he'd catch lightning in a bottle. It was a massive error.

Hackenberg has proved so far that he indeed isn't very good, it's just reality. I'm sorry you struggle with this. 

I will be glad to never read another thread about Hackenberg again. Although I will express my opinion, even if it may not be received well.

Hackenberg seems like a good guy. I’m actually sorry for him. 

But the drafting of Hackenberg and the pick alone by MacCagnan hurt the Jets for years because they were “developing” Hack instead of drafting QBs like Mahomes!!

This pick right here alone is why MacCagnan should have been shown the door. 

Hack did nothing wrong by being drafted by the Jets, they should never have drafted him in the second round to begin with and I say this as someone who wanted him drafted!!

But based upon the evidence the second round?

And then keeping Hack when it was clear coaches that got fired got fired inpart because Hackenberg wasn’t improving!

No that is MacCagnan’s fault plain and simple. 

5 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Look, I’m not trying to single you out here, but what’s amazing is how much venom Jets fans have for this young man, and how much pleasure grown men take in watching a seemingly good person struggle.

People on this site never look as petty and small as when they denigrate him the way they do. Macc picked him in the second round. He didn’t pick himself. What was the kid supposed to do, get on the phone and tell him he was crazy for doing it?

People here need to grow up and move on from this. Give the kid a break, he’s doing what he loves. Is that really such a bad thing?

If we can't make fun of Hack, who exactly can we make fun of?

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

But the drafting of Hackenberg and the pick alone by MacCagnan hurt the Jets for years because they were “developing” Hack instead of drafting QBs like Mahomes!!

This pick right here alone is why MacCagnan should have been shown the door. 

Hack did nothing wrong by being drafted by the Jets, they should never have drafted him in the second round to begin with and I say this as someone who wanted him drafted!!

But based upon the evidence the second round?

And then keeping Hack when it was clear coaches that got fired got fired inpart because Hackenberg wasn’t improving!

No that is MacCagnan’s fault plain and simple. 

Yes and no.  Hack was a bad pick.  He should never have been drafted in the 2nd obviously.  They tried to catch lightning in a bottle, gambled and lost a 2nd round pick in the process.  That sucked and cost us a player.  But wasnt the organization killer that some make it into.  And the single reason to fire a GM for that matter.  Every GM blows picks, especially after the 1st round.  

As for Mahomes, he was thought of as a day two QB.  Great job by whoever it was in KC who saw something others didnt, beyond arm strength.  Everyone thought he was too raw from an extreme gimmick O and didnt have him ranked like the Chiefs did.  But there is no hint anywhere that the Jets liked him, wanted him or would have taken him if not for Hack.  

6 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Thanks for helping me expound on the point I was just making to @BurnleyJet.Dont worry about “Hackly” he’ll be fine. He won’t be bagging groceries. As you said he has a degree from a very good University. Not only that, at age 24 he’s probably earned more money then you have in your life, and if he hasn’t yet, he most certainly will. But you just go ahead and joke he may get a data entry job next year. LOL

So yeah, make fun of the kid who “didn’t make it”. You know the one. He’s the guy you wish you could’ve been, and the one you hope your child will grow up to be just like. Educated, well mannered, driven, and yes, wealthy.

Calm down Mr Hack defender. First of all I don't wish I had his life and I owned a business where millions of dollars of cash went thru my hands every year so u know I managed to stash away some of that. Maybe I don't have millions in the bank but I have a decent amt. Also there is a bit of fun going on here so no need to defend the guy - unless you are him - then I would say you are the touchy short tempered guy that people seem to think you are. 

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

One of my son's friends was a Penn State student in the same years as Hackenberg.  He has no reason to lie about him to the best of my knowledge.  Hackenberg is a colossal a-hole.  He is arrogant, smug and self-centered.  He was not liked on campus all that much.  People thought he was a jerk.  He tried to pick up a girl in a local club and my son's friend told us he was sitting right there and heard the whole conversation.  When the student rebuffed his come-on he got chippy and she said something to the effect: "who the heck do you think you are?"   

Hackenberg's reply: "Google me , Bitch!"

Archived