New York Jets Should Back Up the Brink's Truck for Le'Veon Bell

joewilly12

19 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

In the AFCE, the Bills have 54 players under contract, the Dolphins have 54, the Pats have 57, and we have 39.  In the AFC, the next closest team is Oakland, with 50 players under contract.  In the NFC, the Rams and Seahawks both have 48 players under contract.

I think this clearly shows that while undoubtedly we have money to spend, it's not nearly as much as we'd like to think.  We've got to spend a ton just to field a team, and we're 11 players behind the next closet team in our conference, and 9 behind the next closest teams in the league.

Why not choose to suffer that reality on the defensive side of the ball with low cost players and allocate the premium money for offensive talent like Bell and Paradis?  

Even if it cost us half of our cap space to fill out the team and re-sign the players we want to keep (the two Andersons, Daryl Roberts, Andre Roberts), which is probably an overestimation, we’re still left with more than enough to sign Bell and Paradis with space left over.

If it’s $50 million to fill out the team and $30 million to land both Bell and Paradis, we’re still in good shape.  

We need to help Sam immediately, even if it means overpaying those two.  Besides, I don’t see how it’s mortgaging the future, it’s paying a premium we can afford.  

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Don't  blame the Jets on the state of NFL salaries for players like Bell or Brown. These salaries were set long before they became available. If you want talent like them, you have to pay because everyone else has before you.

The issue here is not about the out of control salaries in the NFL, or of sports in general.  That is a discussion for another forum, at another time.  This point is related to two highly paid, potential Jets who for one reason and another are available to them for a cost.  A huge one.  That very cost is a reason why they are available in the first place. 

The Steelers decided, based on that cost and other reasons that they were not worth it. The Steelers have long been recognized as one of the most well run organizations in the NFL. They are willing to walk away from both these "talented" players for less than market value, in the case of one, and no return, in the other. 

Mr. Ballard, who has a franchise quarterback, a top of the league, young offensive line, and a team on the rise, with more cap space than we do, wants no part of LeVeon Bell. The money and draft picks are the main point here.  With all we have to do to rebuild this team, we cannot afford both of these players based on the cost in salaries and the #3 proposed draft pick.

The other reasons are just the icing on the cake.

33 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Why not choose to suffer that reality on the defensive side of the ball with low cost players and allocate the premium money for offensive talent like Bell and Paradis?  

Even if it cost us half of our cap space to fill out the team and re-sign the players we want to keep (the two Andersons, Daryl Roberts, Andre Roberts), which is probably an overestimation, we’re still left with more than enough to sign Bell and Paradis with space left over.

If it’s $50 million to fill out the team and $30 million to land both Bell and Paradis, we’re still in good shape.  

We need to help Sam immediately, even if it means overpaying those two.  Besides, I don’t see how it’s mortgaging the future, it’s paying a premium we can afford.  

I'm not saying anything about allocation of our resources.  I'm simply saying people are running around here like we have infinite money, and we simply don't.  If we pay Bell, it will limit us elsewhere.

Truth is, I don't trust Bell once he's paid.  I also don't believe in paying a 2nd contract to a RB, in general.  So, I'm opposed to the move.  It's just not how I'd build a team.

I do agree on Paradis.  I've said numerous times, buy an offensive line, and draft skill players.  We're not competing for a Super Bowl in 2019, so there's no rush to overspend to try and fix everything at once.

19 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

The issue here is not about the out of control salaries in the NFL, or of sports in general.  That is a discussion for another forum, at another time.  This point is related to two highly paid, potential Jets who for one reason and another are available to them for a cost.  A huge one.  That very cost is a reason why they are available in the first place. 

The Steelers decided, based on that cost and other reasons that they were not worth it. The Steelers have long been recognized as one of the most well run organizations in the NFL. They are willing to walk away from both these "talented" players for less than market value, in the case of one, and no return, in the other. 

Mr. Ballard, who has a franchise quarterback, a top of the league, young offensive line, and a team on the rise, with more cap space than we do, wants no part of LeVeon Bell. The money and draft picks are the main point here.  With all we have to do to rebuild this team, we cannot afford both of these players based on the cost in salaries and the #3 proposed draft pick.

You cannot compare the Steelers and Jets situations for one major reason-Steelers are good at the draft. They don’t have to chase anybody for that reason. We can either spend in FA or be non competitive. I don’t care about woody’s money. SPEND IT.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

You cannot compare the Steelers and Jets situations for one major reason-Steelers are good at the draft. They don’t have to chase anybody for that reason. We can either spend in FA or be non competitive. I don’t care about woody’s money. SPEND IT.

the way i see it is, the jets need to bring in guys who will help darnold develop into the franchise qb so that one day the jets can sub out guys like bell for connor and it won't make a difference.  if they overspend a bit on bell, ok, as long as they get a few good years out of him.  by the time he's slowing down they'll hopefully have others who can step up.  but in year 2 with the OL not likely to be strong again, bell would really help darnold and that's the deciding factor.

Combine that less than imposing running game with one of the weaker receiving corps in the NFL (73 yards per game), and it's not hard to see why Darnold struggled as a rookie. He was set up to fail.

Signing Bell is as much about helping Sam as anything else - "Sam was set up to fail =" is the most correct statement in the this article and needs to be a priority OL included... 

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Can you really trust anybody who takes money from a team that is currently terrible and has a pretty extensive history of handing out paid retirement to guys with known effort issues?

Tough spot when if he signs with the Jets, it's probably a bad thing, but if he signs elsewhere maybe it'll work out.

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

BE IT KNOWN that if the Jets sign Bell I plan to blame Macc for overspending on a running back and if the Jets fail to sign Bell I plan on blaming Macc for not taking steps to improve the offense and build around Sam Darnold.

Duly noted. However, if you want to become a "somebody" around here, you should really strive to be different from every one else on this board.

16 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Combine that less than imposing running game with one of the weaker receiving corps in the NFL (73 yards per game), and it's not hard to see why Darnold struggled as a rookie. He was set up to fail.

Signing Bell is as much about helping Sam as anything else - "Sam was set up to fail =" is the most correct statement in the this article and needs to be a priority OL included... 

adding bell is as important if not more important than adding any one OL.  that's why bell is worth the money in the short term.

If you told me that the Jets could pay Gurley money to Bell and Bell would report in shape, perform like he did in 2017, not get suspended and be a good teammate, I would say sign him up all day.    

People were very excited to sign Curtis Martin to second and third contracts.  

I just think there is alot of flake risk with LB and AB.  Coming off of Trumaine's performance, I don't know whether that money ends up being a good investment.  

The numbers of players under contract is shockingly low.  That was my issue with cutting Spencer Long-that he was that good, but that there was no one else.  

I could draw up a contract that would give Bell the opportunity to make big money, but it would need to be conditioned and incentivized.  

Let's see what he looks like when he visits teams in a few weeks.  If he is out of shape, forget him.  

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Duly noted. However, if you want to become a "somebody" around here, you should really strive to be different from every one else on this board.

It seems like you're suggesting that I'm not already "somebody" around here... Which...... Come On!

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't see the point of this at all. We are so under the cap we can sign Bell and Brown and still have cap to address the OL.

No, we don't.  Because we have only 39 players under contract, and are planning to cut guys like Crowell and potentially a few others. 

That's only about $6 million to spend on each open roster spot.  Add Bell and Brown and we're likely down to about $4-4.5M to spend on each open roster spot.  That's not a lot. 

And keep in mind that if we stay at the # 3 overall spot, that cap hit is about $5.5-$6M. 

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

In the AFCE, the Bills have 54 players under contract, the Dolphins have 54, the Pats have 57, and we have 39.  In the AFC, the next closest team is Oakland, with 50 players under contract.  In the NFC, the Rams and Seahawks both have 48 players under contract.

I think this clearly shows that while undoubtedly we have money to spend, it's not nearly as much as we'd like to think.  We've got to spend a ton just to field a team, and we're 11 players behind the next closet team in our conference, and 9 behind the next closest teams in the league.

6 players come from the draft. That's makes 45 players on the roster. That leaves $90 million for 8 players to fill out the 53 man roster. Any player below the 53 man roster that is signed to fill out the preseason 90 man roster is not included against the cap. Only the highest paid 53 men on the roster count against the cap during the off-season.

Having over 50 guys signed right now is not necessarily a good thing for fans of teams that want their team to add big players in FA. It severely limits what they can do in FA if they have a lot of guys on their roster who they want to keep on their 53 next season. Adding players via FA will be limited for them since they have little room on the 53. Plus they already have 5-7 draft picks that they'll want to keep on the 53 as well. The Bills have 54 players on the roster on a bad team. How does that help them? Same thing with the Dolphins. In my opinion it hurts them.

And honestly the Jets could sign 8-10 solid players who will make them much better for around $40 million in cap space for this season. The roster number being a hindrance is fake news. The Jets will have a lot of success obtaining players like that bc they can guarantee a 53 man roster spot for those players whereas teams with younger, cheaper players who they'd like to keep can't offer those same guarantees. The Jets should go real hard after 4-6 bigger players and then fill out the roster with solid veterans who can help with depth. But the bigger FA's should mostly come on the offensive side of the ball.

18 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The New York Jets Should Back Up the Brink's Truck for Le'Veon Bell

No thank you.  To both Brown and Bell.  I'll pass. 

And older, worn down selfish cancer and a nutbar selfish cancer is not what we need to build our future.

These would be classic some-old-Jets for-the-short-term moves.  We, as a franchise, LOVE signing other peoples cast off former stars and nutcases.  It almost never works, and certainly not for any long run/franchise building.

Young, hungry, motivated, cheap as possible.  That is what we need.  We have a ton of holes to fill, and only so much money and draft picks to fill it.  Bell might help in 2019.  Maybe even 2020.  For what, 26 million a year, lol?  But we need more than that.  I desperately want offense.....but not this way.  We need to do it, for once, the right way. 

Of course, Macc being Macc.....

When teams like the Steelers and Patriots dump guys, it's not usually a sign those guys are great or smart investments for us.

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

I'm not saying anything about allocation of our resources.  I'm simply saying people are running around here like we have infinite money, and we simply don't.  If we pay Bell, it will limit us elsewhere.

Truth is, I don't trust Bell once he's paid.  I also don't believe in paying a 2nd contract to a RB, in general.  So, I'm opposed to the move.  It's just not how I'd build a team.

I do agree on Paradis.  I've said numerous times, buy an offensive line, and draft skill players.  We're not competing for a Super Bowl in 2019, so there's no rush to overspend to try and fix everything at once.

We agree on everything but Bell.

Your reservations about him, both as an aging RB getting a contract and his expected effort level once paid, are more than fair.

My main issue with your assessment is that I don’t see where we’ll be limited by signing Bell.  There’s nobody I’m worried about RE-signing currently. It’s likely none of those elite pass rushers being tossed around here will actually hit the open market.  

What are we saving this money for?  Your assessment of his character might be valid and the general philosophy of not paying a RB a second contract, I agree with  - albeit in a vacuum.  

If we’re confident as an organization that Bell’s gonna come in and work hard, then he will make Darnold’s life a lot easier - and that’s the long term plan here.  I’m not worried about who we have on the edge on defense over the next two years, or who’s playing corner over that time.  I’d be happy to be that team that’s lopsided offensively until Darnold is 25, then we can start building a balanced team.

Bring in people now, even at a premium, to grow our investment during its most precarious time.  

It will come down to the what we learn about Bell’s character; not the price, in my opinion.  

3 hours ago, jgb said:

I agree.  Let's spend it all.  Just not on two players.  With all the holes and needs this team has the money they have under the cap won't even be enough, sad to say.

2 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I agree.  Let's spend it all.  Just not on two players.  With all the holes and needs this team has the money they have under the cap won't even be enough, sad to say.

Free agents we need WAY more than Leveon Bell:

Trent Brown

Matt Paradis

Dante Fowler

Golden Tate

Bradley Roby

Pierre Desir

Back up the brinks truck for those guys and stick with Crowell, McGuire at rb

11 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'm starting to shy away from Bell.

I'd like him, but on our terms.

Let him sit out there for awhile and see if his price drops.

I'm not so sure there's a lot of teams rushing to sign him for the big money he wants.

Let Bell go smoke weed in philly

21 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

The reason the Steelers are walking away from Bell is he sat out the entire year while under contract. If he was on the Jets, I would want them to do the same thing. As for Brown, he is demanding a trade due to the fractured relationship with Ben and probably  the CS. Ben and the CS win here, they get rid of a PITA. I'm not really wanting Brown but I would welcome him with open arms if he came here. He would make Sam a QB God. Bell is a necessity.  We have dog poop at RB and have had Dog poop basically since Shone Green. We need a stud at RB. All We have to do is pay what they are worth in terms of current NFL salaries.  This whole Steelers walked away so we should as well is backwards logic. The Steelers had reasons to walk away from both and for them it was the right thing. How soon do you think it will be before another player holds out in Pit? They layed down the law. We didn't  break for Bell and we won't  for you. As far as Brown, pull this Diva crap and you are gone. It had benefits for the Steelers to do what they did. They didn't  walk because they didn't  think these players were not worth it. 

On 2/27/2019 at 8:58 AM, MichaelScott said:

Confusing article. Titled with the premise that the Jets should sign him, yet the article is full of many reasons why they shouldnt. Let him be someone else's highest paid problem. 

Exactly. I want no part of him.

25 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The reason the Steelers are walking away from Bell is he sat out the entire year while under contract. If he was on the Jets, I would want them to do the same thing. As for Brown, he is demanding a trade due to the fractured relationship with Ben and probably  the CS. Ben and the CS win here, they get rid of a PITA. I'm not really wanting Brown but I would welcome him with open arms if he came here. He would make Sam a QB God. Bell is a necessity.  We have dog poop at RB and have had Dog poop basically since Shone Green. We need a stud at RB. All We have to do is pay what they are worth in terms of current NFL salaries.  This whole Steelers walked away so we should as well is backwards logic. The Steelers had reasons to walk away from both and for them it was the right thing. How soon do you think it will be before another player holds out in Pit? They layed down the law. We didn't  break for Bell and we won't  for you. As far as Brown, pull this Diva crap and you are gone. It had benefits for the Steelers to do what they did. They didn't  walk because they didn't  think these players were not worth it. 

You are right.  The Steelers washed their hands of Bell because he disrupted the team for two years.  Brown seems on the verge of a nervous breakdown.  If he self-destructs his is a bad contract for three more years.  Think he'll  "behave" until then?  I doubt it.  The Steelers were absolutely to walk away from both of these divas.  Now you want to bring them here?  Why?  You made a great case for Pittsburgh.  Make the same case for the Jets. 

If they signed Bell, for 15million, I  could live with that.  For three years.  Sign both?  No way. Draft a running  back. There are plenty in this year's draft.  The Jets have to pretty much rebuild the entire team.  Use the money and draft picks to do that.  40 million dollars in cap space/year and the #3 overall draft pick is not the way to rebuild this team, long term.  Bad idea.

31 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

You are right.  The Steelers washed their hands of Bell because he disrupted the team for two years.  Brown seems on the verge of a nervous breakdown.  If he self-destructs his is a bad contract for three more years.  Think he'll  "behave" until then?  I doubt it.  The Steelers were absolutely to walk away from both of these divas.  Now you want to bring them here?  Why?  You made a great case for Pittsburgh.  Make the same case for the Jets. 

If they signed Bell, for 15million, I  could live with that.  For three years.  Sign both?  No way. Draft a running  back. There are plenty in this year's draft.  The Jets have to pretty much rebuild the entire team.  Use the money and draft picks to do that.  40 million dollars in cap space/year and the #3 overall draft pick is not the way to rebuild this team, long term.  Bad idea.

Brown is a head case too but he’s also a better player than Bell at a way more important position 

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

RB's score touchdowns which helps win games. 

A decent RB opens up the passing game. 

A decent RB gets first downs keeping your D off the field and well rested. 

Quick how many Super Bowls have Adrian Peterson, Ladainian Tomlinson, Chris Johnson, David Johnson and Ezekiel Elliot have won combined?

On 2/27/2019 at 9:10 AM, Jet Nut said:

I didnt read an article that was full of reasons they shouldnt sign him.  

Or see why he would be anyones highest paid problem.  He would help Darnold more than any player the Jets could go out and get.  At no cost other than money, which they have plenty of

That could be an outcome, I'm just not sold on it. Bell with the Steelers, pre payday,  with the Steelers oline would certainly help Sam. Jets dont have the Steelers oline. I'm not convinced he would be the Steelers Bell with our oline. Bell has seemingly been trying to prove he should be the highest back in the league since his first year. After he gets paid, I'm not convinced he would be the same player. He last played 2 years ago. He could be fresh and it could save an extra year of mileage for his next team. Or he could be a year older, out of shape and full of rust. When he skipped training camp 2 years ago, Bell wasn't effective until the 4th week of the season. How long will it take him to get up to speed after a year out of the game? 

He could be the same back. I'm personally just skepticle that he will be. I do completely agree with you that it's just money and that's why I wont be screaming if they sign him. Personally, its just not something I'm keeping my fingers crossed for. 

48 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

The fact that you think bringing in a top 3 Rb and arguably  the most frightening player to defenses in Brown is a bad idea is stunning. You bring in Bell and you fix about 50% of what's wrong with the O. Both the running and passing game gets better. As far as Brown. He is a special player at WR. Brown has this ability  to get open and when he catches the ball he is a real threat to take it all the way. It seems like every time I see him catch a ball it looks like he is standing on the field alone and then out runs everyone. You seriously don't  want these two? As far as Bell, your fear is unfounded. Wherever Bell goes, he is going to be the highest paid RB in NFL history, possibly highest overall for next season. He's  27 and he is that good. Brown is a different story but we don't  have time hope Q and Anderson become major weapons for Sam. You put Brown on the team because we need to give Sam a legit threat at WR, not a guy that just catches screens and another that can't  do anything except run a deep post. I will say there are other additions at WR like Humphries and Tate that will also go a long way in helping Sam but neither has the talent of Brown. Sign Brown to a cap friendly deal in case you need to part ways after year 2 but I really think Brown would be a better citizen  on the Jets. There is no Schuster to compete with here. 

Basically we sign them because we can and they dramatically  change this team next and probably the next 5. 

4 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

That could be an outcome, I'm just not sold on it. Bell with the Steelers, pre payday,  with the Steelers oline would certainly help Sam. Jets dont have the Steelers oline. I'm not convinced he would be the Steelers Bell with our oline. Bell has seemingly been trying to prove he should be the highest back in the league since his first year. After he gets paid, I'm not convinced he would be the same player. He last played 2 years ago. He could be fresh and it could save an extra year of mileage for his next team. Or he could be a year older, out of shape and full of rust. When he skipped training camp 2 years ago, Bell wasn't effective until the 4th week of the season. How long will it take him to get up to speed after a year out of the game? 

He could be the same back. I'm personally just skepticle that he will be. I do completely agree with you that it's just money and that's why I wont be screaming if they sign him. Personally, its just not something I'm keeping my fingers crossed for. 

Stop this Bell would suck without the pit OL argument.  Yes, the Steelers OL is a very good OL but Bell made them elite. Bell set them up to make blocks. Yes, they still had to make the block but he isn't  going to run straight into the teeth of an DL, he is going to wait for the DL to make its move and then go where they aren't.  That is what he does. Also, our OL has gotten better. We are probably Tackle and a Guard away from being one of the better units. 

Archived