New York Jets Should Back Up the Brink's Truck for Le'Veon Bell

joewilly12

8 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

That could be an outcome, I'm just not sold on it. Bell with the Steelers, pre payday,  with the Steelers oline would certainly help Sam. Jets dont have the Steelers oline. I'm not convinced he would be the Steelers Bell with our oline. Bell has seemingly been trying to prove he should be the highest back in the league since his first year. After he gets paid, I'm not convinced he would be the same player. He last played 2 years ago. He could be fresh and it could save an extra year of mileage for his next team. Or he could be a year older, out of shape and full of rust. When he skipped training camp 2 years ago, Bell wasn't effective until the 4th week of the season. How long will it take him to get up to speed after a year out of the game? 

He could be the same back. I'm personally just skepticle that he will be. I do completely agree with you that it's just money and that's why I wont be screaming if they sign him. Personally, its just not something I'm keeping my fingers crossed for. 

You could have the same worries about players once they're paid with every single FA player.  

Sitting one season isnt going to hurt him IMO, it should leave him refreshed.  Can see the downside to sitting out and not taking a years worth of wear and tear.  

I see nothing in his past, with his talent and what hes put on tape that says he wont be the same back.  Not being quite as productive because of the talent around him, happens with anyone, doesnt make him less talented, less a threat.  And more importantly, less of a improvement to our offense and Darnolds biggest help.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

The fact that you think bringing in a top 3 Rb and arguably  the most frightening player to defenses in Brown is a bad idea is stunning. You bring in Bell and you fix about 50% of what's wrong with the O. Both the running and passing game gets better. As far as Brown. He is a special player at WR. Brown has this ability  to get open and when he catches the ball he is a real threat to take it all the way. It seems like every time I see him catch a ball it looks like he is standing on the field alone and then out runs everyone. You seriously don't  want these two? As far as Bell, your fear is unfounded. Wherever Bell goes, he is going to be the highest paid RB in NFL history, possibly highest overall for next season. He's  27 and he is that good. Brown is a different story but we don't  have time hope Q and Anderson become major weapons for Sam. You put Brown on the team because we need to give Sam a legit threat at WR, not a guy that just catches screens and another that can't  do anything except run a deep post. I will say there are other additions at WR like Humphries and Tate that will also go a long way in helping Sam but neither has the talent of Brown. Sign Brown to a cap friendly deal in case you need to part ways after year 2 but I really think Brown would be a better citizen  on the Jets. There is no Schuster to compete with here. 

Basically we sign them because we can and they dramatically  change this team next and probably the next 5. 

I said I could live with Bell, not both.  As for Brown he already has a contract, that would come with him.  As I told you the dead cap money is severe for the next three seasons, should he self destruct.  I am not arguing the playing abilities of either one of these players, that would be ludicrous.  What I am arguing is their suitability for the Jets,  both cost, and "intangibles".  That is a big consideration and should be.  The other wide receivers you mentioned are good options.  An addition through the draft would help as well.  Expecting 5 years of top performance for both of these players is wishful thinking.  Three years seems more like it.

53 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I said I could live with Bell, not both.  As for Brown he already has a contract, that would come with him.  As I told you the dead cap money is severe for the next three seasons, should he self destruct.  I am not arguing the playing abilities of either one of these players, that would be ludicrous.  What I am arguing is their suitability for the Jets,  both cost, and "intangibles".  That is a big consideration and should be.  The other wide receivers you mentioned are good options.  An addition through the draft would help as well.  Expecting 5 years of top performance for both of these players is wishful thinking.  Three years seems more like it.

There is no way any team will sign Brown unless he renegotiates his contract. I can't  think of a single player that didn't  look at opportunities  like this as a way to get a new deal and more money or a longer deal. Brown will certainly out live this deal. He looks as good as ever.  Barring injury he easily says more than 3 years.  The Jets can pay him more money but structure it so they can cut him in 2 years  if he is a headache. As I said, I think Brown would be fine here. He would be the man and we would do well to make him that. 

37 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

There is no way any team will sign Brown unless he renegotiates his contract. I can't  think of a single player that didn't  look at opportunities  like this as a way to get a new deal and more money or a longer deal. Brown will certainly out live this deal. He looks as good as ever.  Barring injury he easily says more than 3 years.  The Jets can pay him more money but structure it so they can cut him in 2 years  if he is a headache. As I said, I think Brown would be fine here. He would be the man and we would do well to make him that. 

There's an article you might want to read.  It's titled " A lawyer's eye view of the LeVeon Bell and Antonio Brown situations". 2/25/2019, by  DropTheHammer, on SBNATION, behind the steel curtain.  Read it then let me know if you still want to deal with this guy, at the cost of a #1 draft pick no less  .https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/2/25/18239524/a-lawyers-eye-view-of-the-leveon-bell-and-antonio-brown-situations-nfl-trade-free-agency-steelers

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You could have the same worries about players once they're paid with every single FA player.  

Sitting one season isnt going to hurt him IMO, it should leave him refreshed.  Can see the downside to sitting out and not taking a years worth of wear and tear.  

I see nothing in his past, with his talent and what hes put on tape that says he wont be the same back.  Not being quite as productive because of the talent around him, happens with anyone, doesnt make him less talented, less a threat.  And more importantly, less of a improvement to our offense and Darnolds biggest help.

I definitely hope you're right and if they end up signing him I will REALLY hope you're right. I think some of it, for me, will depend on contract also. If it is heavy up front and a lot of the guarantees are paid in this year and next or if there is a fairly easy out if it doesnt go well I will feel a lot better. 

46 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

There's an article you might want to read.  It's titled " A lawyer's eye view of the LeVeon Bell and Antonio Brown situations". 2/25/2019, by  DropTheHammer, on SBNATION, behind the steel curtain.  Read it then let me know if you still want to deal with this guy, at the cost of a #1 draft pick no less  .https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/2/25/18239524/a-lawyers-eye-view-of-the-leveon-bell-and-antonio-brown-situations-nfl-trade-free-agency-steelers

I haven't  read the article but Why would we ever trade a #1 pick for either guy? Nobody would trade that for Brown or Bell, they are both too old. 

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Quick how many Super Bowls have Adrian Peterson, Ladainian Tomlinson, Chris Johnson, David Johnson and Ezekiel Elliot have won combined?

Let's also not forget that our only Super Bowl win was bc of Matt Snell, not Joe Namath.

14 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I haven't  read the article but Why would we ever trade a #1 pick for either guy? Nobody would trade that for Brown or Bell, they are both too old. 

How old do think Bell is? He'll be 27 this season. He's got at least 3 great years left. Brown is 4 years older than him. Putting them in the same age category is incorrect.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:17 PM, joewilly12 said:

And then we can talk about using the third overall pick to take a run at Antonio Brown.   

@More Cowbell This is the genesis of my original response as to why Antonio Brown was too expensive and not worthy of a #1 pick to acquire.  It was in the text of the original post.  As for the rest of your latest comment, AB is not going to be let go of by the Steelers for a low round draft pick.  He has cost them too much already.  21 million at least, on this latest contract, just to dump him.  They're going to want at least a #1.  Everyone knows that.  As for Bell, he is a free agent, so there is no trade necessary.  Everyone knows that also.

20 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

@More Cowbell This is the genesis of my original response as to why Antonio Brown was too expensive and not worthy of a #1 pick to acquire.  It was in the text of the original post.  As for the rest of your latest comment, AB is not going to be let go of by the Steelers for a low round draft pick.  He has cost them too much already.  21 million at least, on this latest contract, just to dump him.  They're going to want at least a #1.  Everyone knows that.  As for Bell, he is a free agent, so there is no trade necessary.  Everyone knows that also.

First off what is with the condescending remarks. Why is it impossible for you to have a conversation without being a dick.  

If the Steelers think someone is going to offer a #1 for a 30 year old player no matter how good he is, they are nuts. As for Bell, I knew he was a FA but I wasn't sure who the "guy" was that you were referring to so I gave a blanket response. 

Just now, More Cowbell said:

OK, so you would trade a first round pick who will be 30 in 3 years?

Bell is a FA. Why would I have to trade a pick to acquire him? Hypothetically if he was available for a trade I def wouldn't give up this years first but probably next years. He's that impactful of a player and you can't put a price on Darnold progressing as a QB. This guy would do wonders for Darnold.

I would give Pitt a 2021 1st round pick for Brown but not a first this year or next.

12 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Bell is a FA. Why would I have to trade a pick to acquire him? Hypothetically if he was available for a trade I def wouldn't give up this years first but probably next years. He's that impactful of a player and you can't put a price on Darnold progressing as a QB. This guy would do wonders for Darnold.

I would give Pitt a 2021 1st round pick for Brown but not a first this year or next.

My mistake. I deleted that post. When it was mentioned in same category I thought same as in a trade. My mistake

19 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

First off what is with the condescending remarks. Why is it impossible for you to have a conversation without being a dick.  

If the Steelers think someone is going to offer a #1 for a 30 year old player no matter how good he is, they are nuts. As for Bell, I knew he was a FA but I wasn't sure who the "guy" was that you were referring to so I gave a blanket response. 

I'm not  being a dick. I have cited evidence over and over to support my point of view, while your responses are based largely on erroneous and false interpretations and/or facts.  I steer you to a article which would help clarify the facts to you and you don't bother to even read it.  Then you ask me why I'm proposing to trade the #3 overall pick to the Steelers for Brown, when that was in the original poster's article.  You stubbornly fail to acknowledge a single accurate point that I make that is contrary to what you believe, without presenting a single verifiable piece of evidence to support your claims.  Yet, I am being a dick. Okay.

31 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I'm not  being a dick. I have cited evidence over and over to support my point of view, while your responses are based largely on erroneous and false interpretations and/or facts.  I steer you to a article which would help clarify the facts to you and you don't bother to even read it.  Then you ask me why I'm proposing to trade the #3 overall pick to the Steelers for Brown, when that was in the original poster's article.  You stubbornly fail to acknowledge a single accurate point that I make that is contrary to what you believe, without presenting a single verifiable piece of evidence to support your claims.  Yet, I am being a dick. Okay.

Yes, you are. Here is a fact for you.  Your last post had a very condescending tone to it

I have been nothing but polite and pardon me if I have something better or more important to do than read some lawyers opinion on yrades because that is what it is, an opinion. 

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Yes, you are. Here is a fact for you.  Your last post had a very condescending tone to it

I have been nothing but polite and pardon me if I have something better or more important to do than read some lawyers opinion on yrades because that is what it is, an opinion. 

Fact.  I responded to your comments five different times in a completely civil fashion in response to a point that you tried to make, which was erroneous and ill informed. Despite being refuted with facts and statistics you refused to budge off of your "feeling" or refute the posts with anything tangible.  Then because I responded the 6th time, to the same argument, in a " condescending tone" that makes me a dick.  If you have something "better to do", than make a cogent argument that supports your viewpoint, then go do it.  Makes no difference to me.

Archived