Jonah Williams wingspan measurement and what it means

Patriot Killa

usually the threshold for an NFL OT is like “34. He’s slightly under that threshold but this measurement really isn’t as bad as people initially expected it to be. Does this change your mind any about a trade down and snag of Jonah? I never had any doubts that he could play OT even before I knew his measurement because as long as he carries his hands higher from the beginning of the snap, his punch will take a shorter amount of time to hit the defenders pads thus helping him get first inside contact and overall, the advantage. 

I don’t see him getting out of the top 10. I think he’s a sure top 10 pick.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

usually the threshold for an NFL OT is like “34. He’s slightly under that threshold but this measurement really isn’t as bad as people initially expected it to be. Does this change your mind any about a trade down and snag of Jonah? I never had any doubts that he could play OT even before I knew his measurement because as long as he carries his hands higher from the beginning of the snap, his punch will take a shorter amount of time to hit the defenders pads thus helping him get first inside contact and overall, the advantage. 

We need Oline and to support Sam. Trade down is ideal but if not, no more defense. Just help the goddam kid who is our only hope.

We’ve neglected offense drafting for 8 years before Sam and have literally NOTHING to show for it on defense besides Jamal Adams. That is a pathetic use of premium picks between Tannenbaum, Idzik and Mac.

I say we solidify the O-line at all costs and see if coaching will help this defense that had a ton invested in it already. 

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

We need Oline and to support Sam. Trade down is ideal but if not, no more defense. Just help the goddam kid who is our only hope.

We’ve neglected offense drafting for 8 years before Sam and have literally NOTHING to show for it on defense besides Jamal Adams. That is a pathetic use of premium picks between Tannenbaum, Idzik and Mac.

I say we solidify the O-line at all costs and see if coaching will help this defense that had a ton invested in it already. 

I think it’s clear with the measurement being what it is that this is a Baker Mayfield type of situation. Both are just slightly under what you would want, ideally, yet both are great in everything else from a technical standpoint at their respective positions. I’m not going to be mad if they take Jonah at #3 or at #7. People want to talk about taking TJ F’n Hockenson and Josh Jacobs at #3...Jonah makes a lot more sense.

Clearly he has been playing well as a LT for one of the toughest divisions in college football for at least 3 years.  LT gets placed on an island.  His smarts and technique allowed him to be considered top 5-10 in this draft.  The Jets need help at every position on the O-line so let's say you did not want to start him at LT for some reason while Beacham holds it for one more year, put him at LG but learn both spots.  Q Nelson picked with the #6 pick for the Colts a guard helped convert that line into one of the best.

1 minute ago, NYDreamer said:

Clearly he has been playing well as a LT for one of the toughest divisions in college football for at least 3 years.  LT gets placed on an island.  His smarts and technique allowed him to be considered top 5-10 in this draft.  The Jets need help at every position on the O-line so let's say you did not want to start him at LT for some reason while Beacham holds it for one more year, put him at LG but learn both spots.  Q Nelson picked with the #6 pick for the Colts a guard helped convert that line into one of the best.

The offense won't be substantially improved drafting Williams. the defense will be substantially improved if we draft an impact pass rusher. That's very clear to me. thats why i think a Bosa or Allen is a no brainer.

2 minutes ago, genot said:

The offense won't be substantially improved drafting Williams. the defense will be substantially improved if we draft an impact pass rusher. That's very clear to me. thats why i think a Bosa or Allen is a no brainer.

We are assuming that Bosa's injury has not affected his play as well.  It is amazing that he is considered the #1 prospect after not playing for 1/2 the season or I should say choosing not to play which is impactful as well.

4 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

We are assuming that Bosa's injury has not affected his play as well.  It is amazing that he is considered the #1 prospect after not playing for 1/2 the season or I should say choosing not to play which is impactful as well.

I agree with you. All those questions will be answered at the combine and pro day's i would think

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Most ridiculous thing I've ever read! 1 inch? GMAFB! Technique & great feet and balance are what matters most. Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 40 too!

8 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I say we solidify the O-line at all costs and see if coaching will help this defense that had a ton invested in it already

If we go into the draft still needing to add a starting OL, then Macc has already failed the offseason.  We have to sign at least 2 solid starting offensive linemen, not injury reclamations, not young guys we are hoping will break out.  We need to add two legit NFL starters to the OL in March.

I don't care what else March brings us as long as is starts with two starting OL.

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

No, arm length matters A LOT.  This was big for Jonah, not ideal but adequate 

39 minutes ago, LinemanCT said:

He's a guard at the next level..arm length is one of the corner stones of scouting LT's. He's a guard get over it! There is no Pace's, or Ogden's in this draft. It is what it is.. 

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Wasn’t Robert Gallwey supposed to be a cornerstone left tackle and ended up a mediocre guard because he had T Rex arms? “ If I’m wrong please ignore the call.” 

Jonah’s technique, footwork and hand placement are all very good. Was Gallwey’s?(legit don’t know) but I don’t think it matters as much either way. All he has to do is have better habits with his hand carriage. He will be fine. Check out the video above you if you have the chance.

3 hours ago, genot said:

There are plenty of good edge rushers to choose from in FA.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Jonah’s technique, footwork and hand placement are all very good. Was Gallwey’s?(legit don’t know) but I don’t think it matters as much either way. All he has to do is have better habits with his hand carriage. He will be fine. Check out the video above you if you have the chance.

Ok, but at the next level is that enough? He will be going against the best he’s seen week in week out in the NFL. Hell of a chance to take with #3 overall. Don’t know enough to really say though, just feels uber sketchy. 

8 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

That's fine and dandy, but what happens if Bosa slips to three?  Do you pass on him just so we can draft an o-line guy?

Also, trading down in the 9-15 range will probably still be a safe spot for either Williams, Little, or Jawan Taylor.

23 minutes ago, Lith said:

If we go into the draft still needing to add a starting OL, then Macc has already failed the offseason.  We have to sign at least 2 solid starting offensive linemen, not injury reclamations, not young guys we are hoping will break out.  We need to add two legit NFL starters to the OL in March.

I don't care what else March brings us as long as is starts with two starting OL.

If only it was that simple.

If he drafted better consistently, he wouldn't have to go into free agency NEEDING to find a starter at about 8 positions.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Most ridiculous thing I've ever read! 1 inch? GMAFB! Technique & great feet and balance are what matters most. Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 40 too!

Oh dear God.  Stop with the Jerry Rice already.  It was barely post-war and they didn't have electronic timing.  People reported what they wanted.  He actually ran somewhere in the 4.5s, probably around 4.55.  I know, Larry Fitzgerald ran 4.63.  It has to be true it's on pro football reference!  Fitzgerald didn't even run at the combine, he had a hamstring injury and ran 4.47 at his pro day.  There are always outliers, but there is almost always an explanation and you ignore these numbers at your own peril - particularly at 3 overall.  Funny thing is, this number is probably better than expected for Williams and if anything probably helped him out, especially if his wingspan is better.

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

There are plenty of good edge rushers to choose from in FA.

Define plenty.  3 or 4?  Now how many teams are looking to add good edge rushers?  I think that is where you use the word "plenty"

14 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Ok, but at the next level is that enough? He will be going against the best he’s seen week in week out in the NFL. Hell of a chance to take with #3 overall. Don’t know enough to really say though, just feels uber sketchy. 

I feel like we’re always saying can player x be able to transition to the NFL from the NCAA? That’s a question anyone asks about any prospect. Everything is a bit tougher but I think his technique is so good because he has a slightly less than desirable length that he can work with it. It’s forced him to refine other other areas of a LT’s skill set. Not much of a way to determine if he will indeed satisfy your question until after but helps he was dominating in the toughest divison(defensively) as a SEC player. He’s seen some NFL ready pass rushers. Like someone else mentioned Jason Peter’s length is even shorter than Jonah’s. It can definitely work on the pro level and it’s not unprecedented.

sometimes LT’s with length lean on their length so much that they leave themselves vulnerable by being too top heavy. When the pass rusher hits him with a swim move, it’s easy for the LT being irresponsible with his length to fall over face first because of the momentum being throw into the “punch”. Jonah is so light on his feet and moves well and so it aids him in more ways than one. He’s can be beaten and recover very quickly because his footwork and body control is beautiful. If he wasn’t capable of this then he’s a LG all day..but I think in particular he can make it work.

just some things to consider.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Oh dear God.  Stop with the Jerry Rice already.  It was barely post-war and they didn't have electronic timing.  People reported what they wanted.  He actually ran somewhere in the 4.5s, probably around 4.55.  I know, Larry Fitzgerald ran 4.63.  It has to be true it's on pro football reference!  Fitzgerald didn't even run at the combine, he had a hamstring injury and ran 4.47 at his pro day.  There are always outliers, but there is almost always an explanation and you ignore these numbers at your own peril - particularly at 3 overall.  Funny thing is, this number is probably better than expected for Williams and if anything probably helped him out, especially if his wingspan is better.

Define plenty.  3 or 4?  Now how many teams are looking to add good edge rushers?  I think that is where you use the word "plenty"

More than there are LT’s and G’s.

9 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Oline, this year, would be a terrible pick at #3... that is all... don't settle because that is the best you can get... if Bosa or Williams is there you have to take them... 

8 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

His arm length isn't ideal, but he has great hand placement and technique that I am not too worried about it. If he had longer arms he would be a lock top 5 pick. 

He'll be fine. Obviously would have wanted a 34" measurement but it didn't seem to bother him at Bama while facing elite competition.

Just now, Skeptable said:

Oline, this year, would be a terrible pick at #3... that is all... don't settle because that is the best you can get... if Bosa or Williams is there you have to take them... 

I’m very meh on value in the top 10. If he’s a 12 year starter but McShay had him as a #10 pick then that doesn’t change a thing for me. 

Archived