Jonah Williams wingspan measurement and what it means

Patriot Killa

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

More than there are LT’s and G’s.

Agree on LTs, not  guards.

Just now, Thai Jet said:

He'll be fine. Obviously would have wanted a 34" measurement but it didn't seem to bother him at Bama while facing elite competition.

What a shock from the 'Bama guy.  I used to tell people that Kenny Britt wasn't crazy.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Wasn’t Robert Gallwey supposed to be a cornerstone left tackle and ended up a mediocre guard because he had T Rex arms? “ If I’m wrong please ignore the call.” 

I think Gallery would have stunk even if his knuckles scraped the ground. Guy was getting beat like a drum every other play.

17 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Ok, but at the next level is that enough? He will be going against the best he’s seen week in week out in the NFL. Hell of a chance to take with #3 overall. Don’t know enough to really say though, just feels uber sketchy. 

Agree. I wouldnt take him at 3 but he could be a strong consideration in a trade down scenario

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Oline, this year, would be a terrible pick at #3... that is all... don't settle because that is the best you can get... if Bosa or Williams is there you have to take them... 

As much as I like Jonah and we do obviously have a need on OL I wouldn't take him at #3 either. Hoping [-o< we trade down and grab him at the 6 - 8 range.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Agree on LTs, not  guards.

What a shock from the 'Bama guy.  I used to tell people that Kenny Britt wasn't crazy.

I don’t see very much options out there for G. That’s sort of why I was saying Sitton isn’t a bad look. You go get him and draft someone. 

Not many aside from Saffold and Sitton. Don’t think Saffold is leaving a SB contender for the Jets.

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m very meh on value in the top 10. If he’s a 12 year starter but McShay had him as a #10 pick then that doesn’t change a thing for me. 

If he is a 12 year starter, then it would be an average pick... getting bosa is a game changer... for reference, just look at SD defense with and without Bosa... 

1 minute ago, Kleckineau said:

I think Gallery would have stunk even if his knuckles scraped the ground. Guy was getting beat like a drum every other play.

Agree. I wouldnt take him at 3 but he could be a strong consideration in a trade down scenario

1 minute ago, Thai Jet said:

As much as I like Jonah and we do obviously have a need on OL I wouldn't take him at #3 either. Hoping [-o< we trade down and grab him at the 6 - 8 range.

Well yeah, you’d hope you could trade down a few slots and grab him. That’s the ideal scenario for taking Jonah Williams but I was just making it a point that so many people are clamoring for Jacobs and TJ Hockenson at #3 or #7 then why the hell not the big guy Jonah? But agree..a trade down and snag of Jonah Williams is more preferred for me as well.

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

If he is a 12 year starter, then it would be an average pick... getting bosa is a game changer... for reference, just look at SD defense with and without Bosa... 

I’m not even thinking about Bosa. He won’t be there. And Joey Bosa did nothing against the Patriots and they blew the Chargers out.

Word is he has terrific hand placemnet, strength and footwork- not to mention football IQ (which matters a lot for an O-lineman). And from watching him play, it's pretty evident. 

A trade down with the Giants or Jags would be ideal. I think the Jets can get him at 6 or 7. At 3, it will be tough to pass on Q.Williams or J.Allen.

But yeah, I see J.Williams as a legit LT in the NFL and I think a team who takes him and starts him anywhere else (RT or OG) will still get a Pro Bowl caliber O-lineman.   

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

usually the threshold for an NFL OT is like “34. He’s slightly under that threshold but this measurement really isn’t as bad as people initially expected it to be. Does this change your mind any about a trade down and snag of Jonah? I never had any doubts that he could play OT even before I knew his measurement because as long as he carries his hands higher from the beginning of the snap, his punch will take a shorter amount of time to hit the defenders pads thus helping him get first inside contact and overall, the advantage. 

I don’t see him getting out of the top 10. I think he’s a sure top 10 pick.

9 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

His arm length isn't ideal, but he has great hand placement and technique that I am not too worried about it. If he had longer arms he would be a lock top 5 pick. 

Doesn't matter. Its not like he has a 31" arm and played against weak competition.

The following OTs are also 2018 All- Pro:

David Bakhtiari- 33 5/8

Mitch Schwartz- 33 1/2

Terron Armstead- 34

Duane Brown- 33 1/4

Others

Jason Peters 33 1/8

Bryan Bulaga 33 1/4

Kelvin Beachum 33 1/4

Jake Matthews 33 3/8

5 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

I would rather Taylor in that range... but Williams would be fine... but if they go back that far I still want an edge rusher and use later picks to beef up oline... the Jets need an edge rusher just as much as they need oline.

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m not even thinking about Bosa. He won’t be there. And Joey Bosa did nothing against the Patriots and they blew the Chargers out.

Cardinals are going to take Murray... If SF trades with Giants or Jags then Bosa can easily fall.

5 minutes ago, Stark said:

Doesn't matter. Its not like he has a 31" arm and played against weak competition.

The following OTs are also 2018 All- Pro:

David Bakhtiari- 33 5/8

Mitch Schwartz- 33 1/2

Terron Armstead- 34

Duane Brown- 33 1/4

Others

Jason Peters 33 1/8

Bryan Bulaga 33 1/4

Kelvin Beachum 33 1/4

Jake Matthews 33 3/8

The question isn't whether he can play in the NFL or not. Pretty much everyone has him as a high-mid first round pick. The question is whether the short arms will prevent him from being elite. For every player you listed there are players that had short arms, did well in college but couldn't excel in the NFL. Personally, I think he is going to be just fine in the NFL but you can't just ignore his arm length just like you can't ignore the 40 or the 3 cone drill for WRs. 

41 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

That's fine and dandy, but what happens if Bosa slips to three?  Do you pass on him just so we can draft an o-line guy?

Also, trading down in the 9-15 range will probably still be a safe spot for either Williams, Little, or Jawan Taylor.

That scenario is the only tough choice that I see. Only player/position on defense worth a premium pick. I highly doubt he is there at 3 which is why I’d bite the bullet and take OL over another defensive player.

Trade down is my first choice regardless of who is available. Having a great defensive talent at a PREMIUM position like pass rusher vs. a very solid OL is a tough decision. I’d have to go with pass rusher in that case.

Trade down and OL is completely ideal though whether Bosa is there or not. We are built like trash and don’t have the luxury of BPA and getting cute. We’ve destroyed this roster with terrible drafting following this idea (only because it was executed incorrectly) and don’t have that luxury.

The clock started ticking the second we drafted Darnold and we don’t need to get cute with chart value in trades and pre draft rankings on players that you have no idea will pan out or not. SUPPORT DARNOLD PERIOD. Reach a little for positions of desperate need and that will help him.

F the defense. Enough already. I don’t even care if we lose while Darnold becomes a stud QB because we supported him properly. Give him the best chance to thrive while investing in defense in FA and trying to develop later round picks.

Our goal is not to field a playoff team next year. It is to develop Sam while implementing new schemes and not throwing him into a sh*tshow like last year. That’s the price you pay from disasterous drafting and FA for 4 years. NEXT YEAR (2020) we can complete the team to be playoff ready and hopefully have a Gase coached offense that developed great chemistry from 2019 and a young QB that is ready for a breakout year. Sam is the main piece that will drive our success so we need to get him to top 10 QB play before we worry about actually contending. End of my rant....

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The question isn't whether he can play in the NFL or not. Pretty much everyone has him as a high-mid first round pick. The question is whether the short arms will prevent him from being elite. For every player you listed there are players that had short arms, did well in college but couldn't excel in the NFL. Personally, I think he is going to be just fine in the NFL but you can't just ignore his arm length just like you can't ignore the 40 or the 3 cone drill for WRs. 

just based on the list of quality LTs it seems that jonah's length is just fine.  

maybe jonah williams won't be elite but who here wouldn't shake on him if we were told he'd be a top 12 LT for the next decade?  think what that would do for darnold and the offense.

I'm not going to pretend that I know what NFL scouts knows ...But I've heard from Bill Polian and Gil Brandt and few others that he's a guard . The best LT comparison was Joe Staley and that was 3rd party scout. He also looked a little stiff in the championship game, but maybe he was hurt? Hey the Jets need guards too! So its all good. But the 3rd pick its a little too rich.  

usually the threshold for an NFL OT is like “34. He’s slightly under that threshold but this measurement really isn’t as bad as people initially expected it to be. Does this change your mind any about a trade down and snag of Jonah? I never had any doubts that he could play OT even before I knew his measurement because as long as he carries his hands higher from the beginning of the snap, his punch will take a shorter amount of time to hit the defenders pads thus helping him get first inside contact and overall, the advantage. 

He'll be a really good guard. He'll be a disappointment at Left Tackle

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I am not worried about it. I could list a lot more that are under 34 that start in the league. I am not saying draft him at 3 either. Just that the point about his 33 5/8" arms wouldn't stop me from drafting him and putting him at T. 

Same exact wingspan as Saffold and he failed at LT. They moved him inside and he's been a Pro-Bowler. Wingspan matters at LT more than any other position on the line.

Just now, Stark said:

I am not worried about it. I could list a lot more that are under 34 that start in the league. I am not saying draft him at 3 either. Just that the point about his 33 5/8" arms wouldn't stop me from drafting him and putting him at T. 

not every good LT is going to have the measurables that brick had, with those feet and that length.  

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Washington is one thought... Giants are another... Denver should make the trade...

i would have thought denver until they traded for flacco.  truth is that rosen was way overhyped in the draft process last year, he's just not as good of a prospect as mayfield and darnold.  i would also say miami but why would they give up a premium pick for him when they can tank for qbs next year?  

gettlemen is a moron, he's got no plan at qb, passed up darnold yet thinks he can copy KC's blueprint.  

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Professional GM’s don’t trade up for a QB at #10 overall, let him sit behind a bad OL, fire the OC, fire the HC and give up on him after 1 season. Especially for a 5’10 QB.

Again, I disagree... Murray is Russell Wilson+, he has a better arm and throws more in the pocket as well as faster... when he blows everyone away at the combine and workouts he is going top 3... and in my opinion Kingsbury will get his wish.... and if the cardinals can get a 1st for Rosen there is no loss.

29 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Well yeah, you’d hope you could trade down a few slots and grab him. That’s the ideal scenario for taking Jonah Williams but I was just making it a point that so many people are clamoring for Jacobs and TJ Hockenson at #3 or #7 then why the hell not the big guy Jonah? But agree..a trade down and snag of Jonah Williams is more preferred for me as well.

I'd take Jonah at #3 or #7  over either Jacobs ( who I think will be a LATE 1st or 2nd rounder) or Hockenson.

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i would have thought denver until they traded for flacco.  truth is that rosen was way overhyped in the draft process last year, he's just not as good of a prospect as mayfield and darnold.  i would also say miami but why would they give up a premium pick for him when they can tank for qbs next year?  

gettlemen is a moron, he's got no plan at qb, passed up darnold yet thinks he can copy KC's blueprint.  

I think Denver is still going to draft a QB or trade for Rosen... Elway wants his QB and after the bust that is Lynch, he is more desperate then you think. 

27 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

The Cardinals aren’t going to take Murray lol.

I think the odds of Arizona taking Murray are a lot better then the Jets taking Jonah at #3.

25 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I disagree

Meh, I don't think they're even 50% (which also says a lot about what I think the odds are of us taking Jonah)

19 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i think rosen will be traded before the draft.  not may teams that i could see taking him.  maybe washington.  

I think there would be quite a few teams interested in Rosen. We live in a "Jets world" where Darnold is head and shoulders better, but I don't think the rest of the league is as certain.

Archived