Jonah Williams wingspan measurement and what it means

Patriot Killa

17 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Wouldn't you consider Haskins the same style QB as Rosen? He's just as much a "statue" type.

I'm no huge fan of Rosen, but I think there are plenty of people in the NFL who are.

As far as the comparisons to Allen and Darnold, I agree they looked better last year, which was surprising because pre draft most people thought Rosen was the one most ready to start Day one.

I know its not popular to take the Rosen side in many QB comparisons right now, but I'm just not ready to say he's a bust. In fact if he does stay in Arizona and turn out to be a fit with what KK wants to do, I can see him having a better year then both Darnold or Allen in 2019.

Dwayne is a pocket passer but he can move around a bit. He’s no Lamar Jackson but he gets around enough to get the pass off in pressure situations. Rosen(who I wanted more than anyone on this board) is unprecedentedly immobile.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, genot said:

Your more mobile than Rosen!!!!!!!!!!

19 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Haskins is more mobile than Rosen

17 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Exactly

LOL. Funny exchange there guys. :biggrin:

Its amazing what a human piñata Rosen has become on this board, especially since so many people here were looking to take him in the '18 Draft thread. I haven't seen a QB get knocked like this since Mayfield back before the start of the season and into the first couple of months. I caught a lot of sh*t for saying he was easily the best QB in the draft, and was better then Darnold. Funny, nobody gives me sh*t for that anymore. He turned out to be so much better then the other QBs, he isn't even mentioned in the comparisons.

All I'm saying is, lets give this Rosen thing a little time before we go into all out "Hackenburg 2.0" mode with him. 

Draft more Pricks?

While people are acting like the combine buried this kid, we should take note of the fact that his numbers were among the worst IN HISTORY at his position and he was still drafted in the 3rd round and he was in the top 10 picks at the position.  I am sure that the combine caused him to drop, but it is not like it made him undraftable 

Would this guy beat out beachum or shell? 

Dline is currently a MUCH better need 

Free agency will dictate the draft philosophy obviously but the it looks like talent available and need line up for the jets to go defense 

It's a down off season for offense basically 

Long term could be a mistake to force moves just to check boxes 

33 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You are talking about us slowing our roll on Rosen.(which I agree with btw) but you are already seeming Mayfield the best QB out of them all? That’s a head scratcher, 14.

Can we at least agree on he's "performed far better then everyone else at this point in time"? :rolleyes:

BTW, I can't talk Mayfield with you without thinking about the "Russian spy" joke you made about me. That was funny as hell...

The title is a little misleading as Jonah Williams wingspan is 81 3/4 and his arm length is 33 5/8.  His arm length is a concern but his wingspan is not.  As a comparison, Chuma Edoga arm length is 36 3/4 while his wingspan is 81 1/2.  From last year's draft Mike McGlinchy, who measured 6'7-7/8" had 34 inch arms and an 81 inch wingspan.  Both prospects have longer arms than Williams but a shorter wingspan.

They often use wingspan to determine an offensive lineman's reach for edge speed rusher.  Speed rushers want to stay as low as possible when coming off the edge which prevents them from getting their hands up.  For an offensive lineman, they need to have quick feet or a long reach (wingspan) to get their hands on the player.

They use arm length to determine the effectiveness of when an offensive lineman engages with a defender.  When facing a defender with longer arms, the defender has the advantage as he will get his hands on the lineman first.  It also allows them to push off of the lineman to gain separation to see into the backfield or to jump to deflect passes.

• The Jets are currently starting one of the shorter LTs in the league in Beachum.  He has been ok, but was very good for the Steelers,
  • Jonah Williams' wingspan and arm length is actually fine for a good LT.  I think he is actually slightly short and light.  One can be improved a bit.  
  • Jonah Williams will be a good NFL LT.  He probably does not have the athleticism to be a top 5-10 pick.  Maybe he makes a Pro Bowl.  But we talk about Brick, picked 4th overall, as one of the Jets best picks ever.  He started out a bit light, but made the All Rookie team.  He bulked up.  He made the Pro Bowl 3/10 years-not a perennial Pro Bowler.  He allowed the Jets to compete in the playoffs,  He was not a great run blocker, but not really the problem.  He had very long arms.  I don't think you take Jonah over Bosa or Allen, but maybe over Quinnen-not because Jonah is a better athlete, but because LTs are harder to find than DTs, and DTs an be more easily neutralized.   Even Brian Winters was able to neutralize Suh of the Dolphins.  We have drafted DTs with not much to show for it.  We drafted a very good, not great, LT and his name is going to be put on the Ring of Honor.  The owner gave his son the nickname Brick.  
  • This is where Mac makes his money.  I can see him trading down to neutralize the Darnold trade and avoid the pressure.  Year after year many of the better first round picks are in the middle of the round.  There is too much pressure at the top to find athletic freaks.  Draft later in the round and draft football players.  

Orlando Brown flunked the other intelligence test aspect of the Combine.  

If you test positive for drugs during the greatest job interview of your life, that is a bad sign.  

But today, you prepare and show up in shape.  The Ravens know how to draft (they also picked up Reed and Suggs in a similar but less extreme way), and they drafted Orlando and he played well.  But Brown cost himself $ millions.  Good for the Ravens.  

3 hours ago, choon328 said:

He's undersized at 6'4" 302lbs to play LT for sure. Everyone was complaining Brick was too light at 316lbs. There is nothing elite about him. He's not even the consensus top offensive lineman yet people want to use the 3rd overall pick on him. I don't get it.

Don't want him either.  Most likely not going to be a left tackle in the NFL, from what I understand.  I think it's the exposure of having been at Alabama and the hype that was attached to him early on.  As the draft draws nearer and these reporters are forced to investigate other players, the bloom comes off, and the consensus "best offensive lineman" loses some of his luster. He'll go in the top 15 probably, but in the top 7, no way.

23 hours ago, choon328 said:

He's undersized at 6'4" 302lbs to play LT for sure. Everyone was complaining Brick was too light at 316lbs. There is nothing elite about him. He's not even the consensus top offensive lineman yet people want to use the 3rd overall pick on him. I don't get it.

No, people were complaining Brick was too light when he was 290 lbs, and supposedly dropped anther 5 lbs or so below that later in the season, during that first season or two, after bulking up over the summer/offseason. Being a better pass blocker than run blocker, which he always was, isn't always solely attributable to how much he weighs. 

Williams is 21 years old, right? He'll fill in. 

We can place bets or have a poll on where Jonah Williams will go but my guess would be around 10-12.  I think he'll be another Robert Gallery....drafted as a Tackle but goes on to a great career as an OG.  Nothing wrong with that, but the team taking him has to know that he's an OG first and foremost and can be your backup LT if necessary.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, people were complaining Brick was too light when he was 290 lbs, and supposedly dropped anther 5 lbs or so below that later in the season that first season or two after bulking up over the summer/offseason. Being a better pass blocker than run blocker, which he always was, isn't always solely attributable to how much he weighs. 

Williams is 21 years old, right? He'll fill in. 

Big healthy facts right here. Jonah can play LT. You guys are over thinking this.

4 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The Clemson DL owned his ass in the title game ( forgot his name). That put me off Jonah Williams.

Bosa, Allen or trade down

You mean, like, that one time? LOL

Quick, what was Clellin Ferrells stat line from the National Champiinship Game?

2 Solo tackles, 2 assists, 0 sacks....

"Owned his ass"...

Moron

4 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Don't want him either.  Most likely not going to be a left tackle in the NFL, from what I understand.  I think it's the exposure of having been at Alabama and the hype that was attached to him early on.  As the draft draws nearer and these reporters are forced to investigate other players, the bloom comes off, and the consensus "best offensive lineman" loses some of his luster. He'll go in the top 15 probably, but in the top 7, no way.

He hasn’t allowed a sack in like 200 snaps.

If his arms being a 1/2 too short is the only knock, then this argument is just stupid. I get 2-3 inches, but a 1/2 inch...really? If the guy is good enough and knows where to position himself and place his feet,  he won't need to overreach. Long arms help makeup/mask players who get beat. If Jonah is good enough he won't need long arms to save poor technique

20 minutes ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

If his arms being a 1/2 too short is the only knock, then this argument is just stupid. I get 2-3 inches, but a 1/2 inch...really? If the guy is good enough and knows where to position himself and place his feet,  he won't need to overreach. Long arms help makeup/mask players who get beat. If Jonah is good enough he won't need long arms to save poor technique

His arms are a little short as is his height, his weight is a bit low too and he put up some bad reps playing Clelin Ferrell. 

Top 3 pick...hmmm? 

36 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He hasn’t allowed a sack in like 200 snaps.

Granted.  But is being a top 15 draft pick now a bad thing?  This has been cited as the best class for offensive linemen since 2010.  There are some questions about Jonah Williams. There are draft boards that have him listed as the fourth best  Offensive Tackle, behind  Jawaan Taylor, Greg Little, and Cody Ford.  Quenton Nelson went at #6 last year, and was considered a generational talent.  Top 15 is not an insult, and is a logical spot for Williams.

5 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Granted.  But is being a top 15 draft pick now a bad thing?  This has been cited as the best class for offensive linemen since 2010.  There are some questions about Jonah Williams. There are draft boards that have him listed as the fourth best  Offensive Tackle, behind  Jawaan Taylor, Greg Little, and Cody Ford.  Quenton Nelson went at #6 last year, and was considered a generational talent.  Top 15 is not an insult, and is a logical spot for Williams.

He’s better then Gregg Little and Taylor is more of a fit for the power scheme on OL

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He’s better then Gregg Little and Taylor is more of a fit for the power scheme on OL

I'm not adverse to drafting  him.  I'm against drafting him at three.  If we can't trade down, we must look in another direction.  If they sign Saffold, this may be a moot point. If they sign Saffold, I think they're inclined to keep Beachum.  I'm not crazy about the idea, but I understand the move.

Just now, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I'm not adverse to drafting  him.  I'm against drafting him at three.  If we can't trade down, we must look in another direction.  If they sign Saffold, this may be a moot point.

Like i’ve been saying, trading down first is ideal but I won’t get mad at taking him #3. And it’s not a moot point because if you’re drafting him #3 then you are drafting him to be a LT.

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Like i’ve been saying, trading down first is ideal but I won’t get mad at taking him #3. And it’s not a moot point because if you’re drafting him #3 then you are drafting him to be a LT.

And Beachum??  This is his last year on his contract for a reasonable amount. I think they make the change next year.  We will see.

54 minutes ago, David Harris said:

His arms are a little short as is his height, his weight is a bit low too and he put up some bad reps playing Clelin Ferrell. 

Top 3 pick...hmmm? 

He's 6'4.5" and is 21 years old. Pretty tough crowd around here.

15 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Good left tackles get well paid for good reason. If Darnold is as good as we hope he should be deadly if given an extra second or 2 on pass plays. 

Measurables never tell the whole story and as far as this guys arm length goes who cares if he can play at a high level.

Won’t even be fair to the rest of the league you give him another second or 2.

Archived