nose tackle in the 3-4

43 minutes ago, KRL said:

Williams probably doesn't want to play a "traditional" 3-4 where the NT is
an anchor clogging up the run game.  He may want an attacking NT who penetrates
the gaps around the center.  Maybe Shephard & Fautakasi fit his mold, we'll see

As we have seen, the 3-4 does not work without a space-clogging NT.  

The Jets struggled with this for years.  

I don't understand the plan here.  Hopefully it comes together.  

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Trade back and get Dexter Lawrence who’s athletic enough to penetrate and big enough to clog the run.

Just so I have this one straight.  Trade back from possibly the best DT to come out in years who many don't want because he's a DT...to take...a NT.  I can see the board getting unanimously behind that and Kumbaya will be heard throughout the land :)

• Post of the Week 1
20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Chris Jenkins got any offsprings? 

Kris Jenkins is one of the biggest "what might have been" guys in Jets history IMO.  He got hurt so soon but we'd seen such amazing flahses of what he could be.  He was perfect for Rex in that 3-4.  Hard to find guys like him, Wilfork, etc.

I still don't like this 3-4 idea.  I was really hoping we'd go back to a 4-3, draft a traditional down DE pass rusher, and stop trying to get 4 LBs on the field.  LB has been our weakest unit on D for a decade.  Still not sure why we emphasize it.

• Upvote 3
24 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Just so I have this one straight.  Trade back from possibly the best DT to come out in years who many don't want because he's a DT...to take...a NT.  I can see the board getting unanimously behind that and Kumbaya will be heard throughout the land :)

I have a deep lying belief that Dexter Lawrence is Kris Jenkins reincarnate. 

Also I get the feeling Lawrence will prove to be bigger, faster and more athletic than Williams.

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

I really don’t understand why they got rid of Pennel if they’re sticking with a base 3-4.

Maybe they bring him back at a reduced salary or look at a guy like Danny Shelton.

New England Patriots news: Team declines fifth-year options on Malcom Brown, Danny Shelton (report)

I don;t think the Jets will be primarily playing 3-4. I think G Williams (despite saying that they will stick with a 3-4 defense) will be using a ton of hybrid fronts. I think we will see a lot of Base Nickel, Dime and 4-3 OVER. I think you will even see some NASCAR on passing downs. And I think G.Williams will be using a lot of different personnel.  I think between Fatukasi, Shepherd, Kaufusi and whoever will be available as a low end FA, undrafted FA or in the back end of the draft they will find someone to fill that void. I just don;t think they are too worried about it. 

52 minutes ago, RobR said:

Draft Daylon Mack. 

Or yes, draft Daylon Mack lol. I'm on board.   

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Kris Jenkins is one of the biggest "what might have been" guys in Jets history IMO.  He got hurt so soon but we'd seen such amazing flahses of what he could be.  He was perfect for Rex in that 3-4.  Hard to find guys like him, Wilfork, etc.

I still don't like this 3-4 idea.  I was really hoping we'd go back to a 4-3, draft a traditional down DE pass rusher, and stop trying to get 4 LBs on the field.  LB has been our weakest unit on D for a decade.  Still not sure why we emphasize it.

Jenkins was a monster but his career ended for same reason he was available via trade his injury history

Luckily Rex saved that season by coaching up Sione Ppuha who was a total JAG under Mangina

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I really don’t understand why they got rid of Pennel if they’re sticking with a base 3-4.

Maybe they bring him back at a reduced salary or look at a guy like Danny Shelton.

He would have been expensive for a 34 DT.  He was set to make nearly $8M over the next 2 years.  That would put him into the top 5 for the position.  Suh and Goldman are much more expensive but Pennel is not a top 5 34 DT.  They could look to re-sign him at a cheaper deal, perhaps half of what he was getting.  The little savings could go a long way in signing some of their cheaper free agents like Andre Roberts or Jason Meyers.  They could also re-sign him and draft someone in the later rounds to develop (Daylon Mack or Khalen Saunders) in the middle of the draft.

• Upvote 1

Mike Pennel contributed absolutely nothing here other than a coupe of bone-headed penalties. I Can’t think of a single impact play he made during his time in green, offered zero pass rush and our run defense has slipped from always around league best to pretty poor the last couple of seasons while he’s been involved. I understand that was not all his fault but for me he’s the dictionary definition of a JAG. If you can’t upgrade players like Mike Pennel after he’s held the fort for a season then you really are in a sh!t state. I  really don’t get what anyone sees in Mike Pennel

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Jenkins was a monster but his career ended for same reason he was available via trade his injury history

Luckily Rex saved that season by coaching up Sione Ppuha who was a total JAG under Mangina

Pouha wasn't so hot under Herm either.  Strange to have a guy need 4 years to develop when he came into the league at 26. 

On 2/28/2019 at 1:48 PM, #27TheDominator said:

Pouha wasn't so hot under Herm either.  Strange to have a guy need 4 years to develop when he came into the league at 26. 

Pouha was garbage his entire career then Rex turned him into a top 3 Nose.  It’s incredible how underrated Rex is on this board 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
On 2/28/2019 at 1:51 PM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

The player described here has a name.  That name is Quinnen Williams.  To a "T".

If we draft QW I’d rather he line up as a 3-4 DE

Let a big NT eat up blockers on the inside while QW reeks havoc at the B Gap

• Upvote 1
On 2/28/2019 at 7:57 AM, Untouchable said:

I'd like Shelton. He's good, young and it hurts the Pats.

• Upvote 1
On 2/28/2019 at 1:07 PM, KRL said:

Williams probably doesn't want to play a "traditional" 3-4 where the NT is
an anchor clogging up the run game.  He may want an attacking NT who penetrates
the gaps around the center.  Maybe Shephard & Fautakasi fit his mold, we'll see

This. I recall reading that Williams' version of the 3-4 and Bowles' version are quite different. I'll see if I can dig out the article.

EDIT - here's the quote, and a link to the full article:

One change under Williams is the desire for smaller, quicker defensive linemen to play a more attacking style. The decision to let nose tackle Mike Pennel go this week is a reflection of that. The Jets no longer are looking for big players to clog up the middle of the defense.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/20/what-jets-surprise-3-4-defense-means-for-nfl-draft-leonard-williams/

10 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I just looked at the FA tracker and Suh, Liguet, and Peko are still UFA. Maybe we could grab one of them. Suh seems to have finally matured.

Pass on Suh.  He’s already burned us once 

• Upvote 1

3-4 or 4-3 bases aren’t as important as they used to be. Nickel and Dime packages are used for majority of snaps now.

I’m just excited Bowles isn’t running our defense anymore. Once I read that Pepper Johnson interview and read that Bowles doesn’t like when the pass rush matches the coverage (i.e. cb’s playing 10-15 yards off even in blitz packages) my head almost exploded.

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

3-4 or 4-3 bases aren’t as important as they used to be. Nickel and Dime packages are used for majority of snaps now.

I’m just excited Bowles isn’t running our defense anymore. Once I read that Pepper Johnson interview and read that Bowles doesn’t like when the pass rush matches the coverage (i.e. cb’s playing 10-15 yards off even in blitz packages) my head almost exploded.

Give Bowles a break.  After all he's "such a nice guy".  Probably didn't want the corners stressing out the receivers too much.  Gotta give them their "safe space", you know.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Give Bowles a break.  After all he's "such a nice guy".  Probably didn't want the corners stressing out the receivers too much.  Gotta give them their "safe space", you know.

The idea that a professional coach would think that’s a good philosophy is absolutely stunning. 

• Post of the Week 1