Jump to content
JetsMetsDevilsPA

Harper to Phillies

Recommended Posts

Ugly deal long term but for the next few years they'll be a good team 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im a Mets fan..... I love it personally... Tie the Phillies down for 13 years... Personally I hope he goes out on the first game and trips over a sprinkler head and tears his ACL.  I dont like that arrogant idiot....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just did the math.  Harper vs. any current mets pitchers (combined) .211 average... Im cool with the Sillies giving him that much cash...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm conflicted.

He's not worth that money IMO.  

But he IS a star, was loved here, etc.  And we offered 10 years/300 million.

Seems a shame to lose you're 6-time all-star future HOF'er over 3 years, 30 million.

Then again, there is no chance he sees the end of this Philly deal as even remotely productive enough to warrant the costs......

Ack, well.  Such is life.

Sadly, he went to a hated rival, so now my one (and only) Nats Jersey does me no god and must be replaced.  5x Jerseys's are somewhat limited in available names, which kind of sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

Personally I hope he goes out on the first game and trips over a sprinkler head and tears his ACL.  I dont like that arrogant idiot....

New Yorkers, classy to the last.

Also, bonus points for a New Yorker calling anyone else arrogant, lol.  Smug ass isn't-our-city-the-bestest arrogant New Yawkers define that terms ffs.

  • Butt Fumble 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

New Yorkers, classy to the last.

Also, bonus points for a New Yorker calling anyone else arrogant, lol.  Smug ass isn't-our-city-the-bestest arrogant New Yawkers define that terms ffs.

Except for the fact that I wasnt born in New York nor Live in New York.....  Just dont like Harper...

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

Except for the fact that I wasnt born in New York nor Live in New York.....  Just dont like Harper...

Oh....one of those then.  

In any event, not liking a guy =/= wishing injury on a guy ffs. 

Wishing an injury on an athlete is one of lowest class things any sports fan can do.  It's sh*t, from New York or PA or anywhere.   And being a fellow Jets Fan doesn't get you a pass on being that kind of person.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Oh....one of those then.  

In any event, not liking a guy =/= wishing injury on a guy ffs. 

Wishing an injury on an athlete is one of lowest class things any sports fan can do.  It's sh*t, from New York or PA or anywhere.   And being a fellow Jets Fan doesn't get you a pass on being that kind of person.

Wouldnt expect to get a pass... I said it and I knew I would get hammered after i did so.... Rightfully so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

Just did the math.  Harper vs. any current mets pitchers (combined) .211 average... Im cool with the Sillies giving him that much cash...

Mets are making the playoffs 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Mets are making the playoffs 

Please stop. Look, I live in Myrtle Beach SC and every year since I moved down here, I buy the MLB Season Pass just to watch the Mets. By Memorial Day I'm always cursing myself for throwing the money away. But just like with the damn Jets, I watch anyway.

Meanwhile Mets camp started off as usual this year with both Lowrie and Frazier going down with injuries the first week. It never ends....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Please stop. Look, I live in Myrtle Beach SC and every year since I moved down here, I buy the MLB Season Pass just to watch the Mets. By Memorial Day I'm always cursing myself for throwing the money away. But just like with the damn Jets, I watch anyway.

Meanwhile Mets camp started off as usual this year with both Lowrie and Frazier going down with injuries the first week. It never ends....

98C6A83D-6DD1-4FB7-99FD-6C5567853B1F.thumb.jpeg.0549fa598ebf2d7ece0d74b5cc8cc76a.jpeg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guy has had one great season, a couple of good seasons and a couple below average seasons, but because of the hype-train that has surrounded him his entire life, he gets the biggest contract in MLB history. Phillies are going to be beyond sorry for that deal, good lord. Dude isn't even the best player from his draft class. Not sure if he's even top 3. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Guy has had one great season, a couple of good seasons and a couple below average seasons, but because of the hype-train that has surrounded him his entire life, he gets the biggest contract in MLB history. Phillies are going to be beyond sorry for that deal, good lord. Dude isn't even the best player from his draft class. Not sure if he's even top 3. 

I just don't see him being a 30 mil a season guy in 4-5 years.  Much less in 10-12 years.

These deals make some crazy sense in the NFL, where they can be cut loose late in the deal if underperforming.

In MLB?  Oh, and Harper got a No Trade Clause and no Player Out Options, so this IS a 13 year deal, period, end of story.  All Philly can do down the line is cut-n-pay or play-n-play.  That's it.

Now that he's not a Nat, and now that his bankroll is guaranteed, I hope he plays poorly.  Not hurt, mind, juts poorly. 

With that said, I fully expect him to be an All-Star the next 4-5 years easy.  Meh.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Guy has had one great season, a couple of good seasons and a couple below average seasons, but because of the hype-train that has surrounded him his entire life, he gets the biggest contract in MLB history. Phillies are going to be beyond sorry for that deal, good lord. Dude isn't even the best player from his draft class. Not sure if he's even top 3. 

He’ll be a yankee in 3-4 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reports are Dodgers offered 4 years, 45 million a year.

It seems he really just did want to go to one place, and stay there forever.   I also agree, he is over rated.   1 great season, and that's it.  Not great defensively, and that will get worse as he gets older.   A guy who has a 162 game average of 279, 32 HR,  30 doubles, who walks a lot and strikes out a lot.  How will he be when he is 31, and still has 6 years left on that deal? 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/harpebr03.shtml

I don't wish him injury.   I think it's funny players scream collusion, and owners keep giving these massive contracts which almost never work out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2019 at 9:36 AM, Warfish said:

I'm conflicted.

He's not worth that money IMO.  

But he IS a star, was loved here, etc.  And we offered 10 years/300 million.

Seems a shame to lose you're 6-time all-star future HOF'er over 3 years, 30 million.

Then again, there is no chance he sees the end of this Philly deal as even remotely productive enough to warrant the costs......

Ack, well.  Such is life. 

Sadly, he went to a hated rival, so now my one (and only) Nats Jersey does me no god and must be replaced.  5x Jerseys's are somewhat limited in available names, which kind of sucks.

 

Nats fans dodged a bullet.  No reason for DC baseball fans to be sad after this. 

3 of the last 5 years he's had a WAR of 1.5 or less.  He's a defensive liability and has an awful personality.  Which is exactly what happens when people call you a phenom ever since you were a middle schooler, and you only get 2 years of High School education (he ended up getting a GED) before heading off to play ball.  You get stuck in a narcissistic bubble for the rest of your life.  All you know is baseball, and all you know about yourself is people think you're the best  at it.  You have had no time to develop an identity outside of that mindset.

Yeah, I get that I'm going full "armchair psychologist" here but its a pretty easy conclusion to draw about why his personality sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Nats fans dodged a bullet.  No reason for DC baseball fans to be sad after this. 

3 of the last 5 years he's had a WAR of 1.5 or less.  He's a defensive liability and has an awful personality.  Which is exactly what happens when people call you a phenom ever since you were a middle schooler, and you only get 2 years of High School education (he ended up getting a GED) before heading off to play ball.  You get stuck in a narcissistic bubble for the rest of your life.  All you know is baseball, and all you know about yourself is people think you're the best  at it.  You have had no time to develop an identity outside of that mindset.

Yeah, I get that I'm going full "armchair psychologist" here but its a pretty easy conclusion to draw about why his personality sucks.

He's a bit of a Dbag, no question.

With that said, he was our Dbag, our Star, our guy the baseball and sports media always talked about.  Our 6-time All-Star and MVP.

Does new math prove he was "worth" whatever amount of dollars?  Don't know, don't care, I find the new math of modern Baseball to be destroying the game the more it's applied tbqh.  But I'm old school Baseball, I was a fan before ideas like "Beginners" pitching the first two innings, and insane shifts and .230 batting averages being good because blah blah HR's and walks...was a thing.  

I appreciate I'm in the minority on that view.

With that said, I'm hard pressed to see Michael Taylor and .227 average and 6 HR's in 2018 as a superior option as a starting outfielder.

I appreciate alot of the arguments made that this is good, but it sure doesn't FEEL good.  The results, as they say, will have to speak for themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Nats fans dodged a bullet.  No reason for DC baseball fans to be sad after this. 

3 of the last 5 years he's had a WAR of 1.5 or less.  He's a defensive liability and has an awful personality.  Which is exactly what happens when people call you a phenom ever since you were a middle schooler, and you only get 2 years of High School education (he ended up getting a GED) before heading off to play ball.  You get stuck in a narcissistic bubble for the rest of your life.  All you know is baseball, and all you know about yourself is people think you're the best  at it.  You have had no time to develop an identity outside of that mindset.

Yeah, I get that I'm going full "armchair psychologist" here but its a pretty easy conclusion to draw about why his personality sucks.

Worth noting that pre-Harper attendance for the Nats was absolute garbage. It's easy to say this frees up other money for them now but when they average like 10k people less per game, it's not going to be as simple to maintain a consistently top payroll. They better finagle Scherzer to pitch at home a LOT because DC sports fans are a fickle, fickle bunch.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
He's a bit of a Dbag, no question.
With that said, he was our Dbag, our Star, our guy the baseball and sports media always talked about.  Our 6-time All-Star and MVP.
Does new math prove he was "worth" whatever amount of dollars?  Don't know, don't care, I find the new math of modern Baseball to be destroying the game the more it's applied tbqh.  But I'm old school Baseball, I was a fan before ideas like "Beginners" pitching the first two innings, and insane shifts and .230 batting averages being good because blah blah HR's and walks...was a thing.  
I appreciate I'm in the minority on that view.
With that said, I'm hard pressed to see Michael Taylor and .227 average and 6 HR's in 2018 as a superior option as a starting outfielder.
I appreciate alot of the arguments made that this is good, but it sure doesn't FEEL good.  The results, as they say, will have to speak for themselves.


So Theo Epstein is on the wrong side of the argument and Warfish is on the right side. Got it.
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

 


So Theo Epstein is on the wrong side of the argument and Warfish is on the right side. Got it.

 

Not saying anyone is wrong. 

Some days I wonder why I bother to try and write thoughtful honest replies, when this is what they get in return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Worth noting that pre-Harper attendance for the Nats was absolute garbage. It's easy to say this frees up other money for them now but when they average like 10k people less per game, it's not going to be as simple to maintain a consistently top payroll. They better finagle Scherzer to pitch at home a LOT because DC sports fans are a fickle, fickle bunch.

Well as long as Judge Kavanaugh is dropping $200k in tickets per season they should be ok

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2019 at 9:36 AM, Warfish said:

I'm conflicted.

Sadly, he went to a hated rival, so now my one (and only) Nats Jersey does me no god and must be replaced.  5x Jerseys's are somewhat limited in available names, which kind of sucks.

Gonna have to change your name to FATFISH🐷

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Gonna have to change your name to FATFISH🐷

That's rather mean-spirited and rude.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2019 at 12:48 PM, Warfish said:

Does new math prove he was "worth" whatever amount of dollars?  Don't know, don't care, I find the new math of modern Baseball to be destroying the game the more it's applied tbqh.  But I'm old school Baseball, I was a fan before ideas like "Beginners" pitching the first two innings, and insane shifts and .230 batting averages being good because blah blah HR's and walks...was a thing.  

I appreciate I'm in the minority on that view.

I agree about the super advanced metrics.  A guy who hits 210 with 30 HR is, to me, a guy a good pitcher can get out on a regular basis.  That is a pure mistake hitter.  It's also kind of odd, how for hitters, strikeouts don't matter, but then pitchers are praised for striking people out.  Which is it, do they matter or no?

I don't think it's going to be a good contract for the Phillies, but I appreciate it is hard to let your best home grown talent go.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2019 at 7:05 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

So Theo Epstein is on the wrong side of the argument and Warfish is on the right side. Got it.

Theo gets things wrong as well.   How is that Yu Darvish contract working out so far?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I agree about the super advanced metrics.  A guy who hits 210 with 30 HR is, to me, a guy a good pitcher can get out on a regular basis.  That is a pure mistake hitter.  It's also kind of odd, how for hitters, strikeouts don't matter, but then pitchers are praised for striking people out.  Which is it, do they matter or no?

I don't think it's going to be a good contract for the Phillies, but I appreciate it is hard to let your best home grown talent go.

Yeah, imagine Darnold in the future is a 6-time Pro-Bowler.  Scores alot of points leading the Jets O, but isn't perfect.

And suddenly his contract is up, and he signs with New England for a few bucks and years more than we offered.

Sure, some of us would nit-pick what Darnold wasn't good at (it's human nature) and lament the cost, etc, etc, etc.

But it would still suck, regardless.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I agree about the super advanced metrics.  A guy who hits 210 with 30 HR is, to me, a guy a good pitcher can get out on a regular basis.  That is a pure mistake hitter.  It's also kind of odd, how for hitters, strikeouts don't matter, but then pitchers are praised for striking people out.  Which is it, do they matter or no?

Dave Kingman would have loved this modern era of baseball.  He would be amongst the highest paid players in Baseball, lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Dave Kingman would have loved this modern era of baseball.  He would be amongst the highest paid players in Baseball, lol!

He would be 20 million dollar man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Theo gets things wrong as well.   How is that Yu Darvish contract working out so far?

No one said analytics are perfect.  The Cubs' philosophy centered on drafting hitters and buying pitchers.  It got them a title and gave them a lot of young talent to build around.  So overall, the strategy worked. 

You and Warfish pining for the days when old-school scouting and less stats ruled the day is comical.  Its better that teams are getting smarter.  It causes the game to constantly evolve. 

Sure, right now guys strike out a ton and hit a lot of bombs, mostly because infield defense has gotten so good.  Soon, pitchers will adjust and start throwing pitches up in the zone more consistently, trying to induce more easy fly balls.  And the game will adjust again. 

Batting average and ERA are analytics too, ya know.  Just because the math has advanced doesn't mean there was a time when the game didn't use analytics.  The math has just advanced to a point where teams can find real competitive advantages.  Its not really worth complaining about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yeah, imagine Darnold in the future is a 6-time Pro-Bowler.  Scores alot of points leading the Jets O, but isn't perfect.

And suddenly his contract is up, and he signs with New England for a few bucks and years more than we offered.

Sure, some of us would nit-pick what Darnold wasn't good at (it's human nature) and lament the cost, etc, etc, etc.

But it would still suck, regardless.  

 

Apples to oranges.  Even an average QB is far more valuable to a football franchise than a guy like Bryce Harper is to a baseball franchise.  And baseball has no salary cap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Apples to oranges.  Even an average QB is far more valuable to a football franchise than a guy like Bryce Harper is to a baseball franchise.  And baseball has no salary cap. 

I think you're missing the point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...