Jets Place 2nd Round Tender on Anderson

JetFreak89

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMG_3533.jpg

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL network, the Jets are placing a second-round tender on wide receiver Robby Anderson.

The #Jets are giving promising WR Robby Anderson a second-round tender, source said. Would be curious if that draws an offer sheet, but if not, another year in the fold for NYJ.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) February 28, 2019

It’s a risky move for Gang Green with a weak free agent and draft class at the wide receiver position, meaning a team with a late second-round pick could find Anderson enticing.  Take, for example, the New Orleans Saints, who would likely be intrigued by what Anderson could do with a quarterback such as Drew Brees throwing him the ball.

The post Report: Jets to Give Anderson Second-Round Tender appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
xD6Vmp38_uI

Click here to read the full story...

10 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm not sure this is such a good thing. A second round(!!!) tender?

If they're doing Anderson this way, they better not back up a Brinks truck for Leo...

What is the difference compensation wise between 1st and 2nd round tender? Less than 10 mil? Probably not an amount that would make a big deal. It's probably less than the amount they got when they didnt pick up those options this month. Hope this doesnt bite them in the ass. 

13 minutes ago, rayzor said:

That sounds about right.  No need to pay him on a 1st Round Tender.  I'd be surprised if anyone offers a 2nd.  Either way, we can match any offer if we want to.

The difference between the first and second round tenders is $1.3M. A pittance to protect against having to match a bad contract. 

4 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Welp, I think most of us called this one. I really hope this isn't how the Jets recoup their 2nd rd pick this year. 

How would you feel if the Jets ended up letting Robby go for a 2nd?

I think the odds of Maccagnan finding a player as good as Anderson in the second round are incredibly low. 

5 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

What is the difference compensation wise between 1st and 2nd round tender? Less than 10 mil? Probably not an amount that would make a big deal. It's probably less than the amount they got when they didnt pick up those options this month. Hope this doesnt bite them in the ass. 

It's only a difference of $1.3 million. They're asking for someone to sign him. Gase being so positive about him yesterday was the kiss of death. I don't blame the Jets if they're not looking to sign him long term. He's one mistake away from missing a bunch of games. All of that being said, if they don't bring someone else in as good or better via FA or a trade it would be a mistake to move Robbie.

6 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

The difference is about $1.3m more for a 1st rd. tender. It's a risky move considering a team like Ravens, Pats or Seattle could take him and we are getting a pick in the low 60's. We need established players for Darnold..... unless Sammy doesn't think much of him.... which I doubt

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I think the odds of Maccagnan finding a player as good as Anderson in the second round are incredibly low. 

The wide receiver draft class this year doesn't have any blue chippers, but it is deep. There are talented receivers to be had in the second round, in the unlikely event the Jets let Anderson walk for the draft pick.

9 minutes ago, slats said:

The difference between the first and second round tenders is $1.3M. A pittance to protect against having to match a bad contract. 

to the nth

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

The difference is about $1.3m more for a 1st rd. tender. It's a risky move considering a team like Ravens, Pats or Seattle could take him and we are getting a pick in the low 60's. We need established players for Darnold..... unless Sammy doesn't think much of him.... which I doubt

Right, Gase singing his praises combined with this tender gives the impression that they might be ok letting him go.   I can see a team like Houston or Eagles, both who have 2 picks in second round, throwing an offer sheet at Robby.    How would you feel letting him go for what would amount to the 53rd pick in the draft or so.   I think Roby has more value and some chemistry with Darnold.  If Jets really loved him, I think they tag him with a first round tender.

2 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Right, Gase singing his praises combined with this tender gives the impression that they might be ok letting him go.   I can see a team like Houston or Eagles, both who have 2 picks in second round, throwing an offer sheet at Robby.    How would you feel letting him go for what would amount to the 53rd pick in the draft or so.   I think Roby has more value and some chemistry with Darnold.  If Jets really loved him, I think they tag him with a first round tender.

I honestly think the Jets are just letting the market set the rate for Robby. He is an interesting player with his production but also the off-field issues. Personally, I think they match any reasonable offer thrown his way. They must have known that he wouldn't get serious offers with a 1st round tender so this is a good way to make sure they pay him what he is actually worth and not more. 

25 minutes ago, nico002 said:

We can match any offer right? 

Yes. I will be surprised if someone doesn't sign him to an offer sheet too. It will be interesting to see how this plays out - makes me a little nervous. I'm excited to see what he can do with a full offseason w/Darnold in the Gase system. I know it's just talk but the way Gase was talking about him at the combine gave me half a chub.

11 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Yes. I will be surprised if someone doesn't sign him to an offer sheet too. It will be interesting to see how this plays out - makes me a little nervous. I'm excited to see what he can do with a full offseason w/Darnold in the Gase system. I know it's just talk but the way Gase was talking about him at the combine gave me half a chub.

Straight line WR's are not valued as much as shifty slot type WR's in Gase's offense. That's why Jarvis Landry had great numbers in Miami with a below average QB. Robbie doesn't have that shiftiness to him to be the focal point of his style of offense. That's why I can see them going after Humphries hard to fill that role and not want to spend $10+ million on Robbie if he's not going capable of producing big numbers in this offense. Why do you think Davante Parker never had a huge season in Miami and a guy like Danny Amendola put up bigger numbers last year? His system devalues straight line runners and values slot type WR's.

11 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

On the other hand, if you're another team and you know the Jets are sitting on a Scrooge McDuck pile of cap and can match any offer, how much time are you inclined to invest in negotiating with Robby?  I'd set my sights on guys who play for the Eagles and Jaguars and other teams that are a bit more cap-strapped.

I'd be floored if a team ponied up a hefty contract AND a second-rounder for Anderson. I'm a fan of his, but his production through three years in the NFL doesn't merit that type of investment. A team looking for a speed receiver will either sign a guy like Tyrel Williams or draft someone. Jets fans see a ceiling for Anderson that's much great than what he's done so far, but another team isn't going to bet big money and draft capital on those hopes.

Archived