Jets Place 2nd Round Tender on Anderson

JetFreak89

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

The difference is about $1.3m more for a 1st rd. tender. It's a risky move considering a team like Ravens, Pats or Seattle could take him and we are getting a pick in the low 60's. We need established players for Darnold..... unless Sammy doesn't think much of him.... which I doubt

If the money is really that small of a difference, there was no reason not to give him the 1st. He wants a contract. If I were him, I could see this coming across like the team went out of there way to give him less money this year. 

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I only like it if we get a top 50 pick or if we aren’t forced into paying Robby Anderson $12 Million a year because of bad GMing

If somebody wants to pay Anderson $12M a year then I truly hope it's a team in our division trying to steal him and make a stupid decision like that.

19 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Oh jeeze. Thanks for the info, I wasnt aware this was possible. I thought there was a designated period where you could make an offer to other teams RFA's.  Makes me feel even stronger that they should have used a first rd tender. Would provide the team additional security and you're also making a bit of a good will gesture to Robby in giving him more money this year before he gets his contract. 

Your original thought was correct.  The deadline for players to sign offer sheets from other teams is the week before the draft (mid-April).  That means it will be settled by then, and if nobody signs him to an offer, the Jets retain sole rights.  At that point, they can renegotiate a longer contract or have him play on the tender amount.  The only real risk is if some team decides he's worth crazy money plus the 2nd rounder.  And even then, we have crazy money of our own to match if we want to.  There's some risk, but it's not awful.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Who says we'd recoup a 2nd rounder this year? It could easily be a 2nd rounder next year if Robby signs an offer sheet from someone after the 2nd round of the draft is over. 

How would you feel if the Jets let Robby go for the 61st pick not even in 2019 but in 2020, leaving the 2019 Jets with a WR corps of Enunwa, whatever mid/low level WR we sign in FA, and the 3rd-4th round project WR they draft?

So much for the notion that he's learning and getting better at this.

I don't think this is true.  There is a limited time to sign him to an offer sheet.  It usually ends a week before the draft IIRC.  Plus, they can match and the poison pill contracts are illegal now.  I am not a Maccagnan fan, but this was the expected move and it is a fairly rational one.

9 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

If the money is really that small of a difference, there was no reason not to give him the 1st. He wants a contract. If I were him, I could see this coming across like the team went out of there way to give him less money this year. 

Last year it was $2.9M and $4.1M .  Both should go up.  Everybody has known he was going to get the 2nd round tender since around mid-season, but people want to read into this?  If a team signs him to an offer sheet we can match.  This might even be a chance for the Jets to let him test the market to see what he'd get offered to value a longer term deal. 

3 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Welp, I think most of us called this one. I really hope this isn't how the Jets recoup their 2nd rd pick this year. 

How would you feel if the Jets ended up letting Robby go for a 2nd?

I wouldn't like it. He is a very solid receiver who Darnold has rapport with.  I'd like to see him get a 4 year contract and be here for a while. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Who says we'd recoup a 2nd rounder this year? It could easily be a 2nd rounder next year if Robby signs an offer sheet from someone after the 2nd round of the draft is over. 

How would you feel if the Jets let Robby go for the 61st pick not even in 2019 but in 2020, leaving the 2019 Jets with a WR corps of Enunwa, whatever mid/low level WR we sign in FA, and the 3rd-4th round project WR they draft?

Isn't the RFA deadline prior to the draft?

Good move. Hopefully someone signs him to an expensive offer sheet and they get that second rounder back. Anderson is a one trick pony who can't make contested catches and has weak-ass hands. Speed is easily found and the Jets will have no trouble replacing a guy who regressed last season and although his behavior has noticeably improved he is one bad decision from a lengthy suspension. Whatever happens I wish Robbie luck and if he stays I will root for him like any other guy wearing Jet Green.

3 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm not sure this is such a good thing. A second round(!!!) tender?

If they're doing Anderson this way, they better not back up a Brinks truck for Leo...

3 hours ago, slats said:

The difference between the first and second round tenders is $1.3M. A pittance to protect against having to match a bad contract. 

I think the odds of Maccagnan finding a player as good as Anderson in the second round are incredibly low. 

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Hack-o-nomics

slats and crusher said what I was trying to a lot better then I did in the first post here.Like him or not, and I do, Robbie is the 2nd best player on our offense. Yeah, lets cut corners with him (shakes head) over 1.3 million, then go pay some jag WR 10 mil in FA to replace him when he leaves. 

As far as my Leo comment, he's produced less, for a lot more money then RA has. Lets see how tough they are with him. I'm thinking Macc will try to keep his 1st round "gem" here at all costs though. He won't want to admit what a fail the pick was.

22 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Was watching the 10 Best Plays of last season yesterday on the Jets Twitter. 3 of the top 5 plays were fantastic TD passes between Darnold and Robby. On each TD Robby came down with a great catch on contested balls. He doesnt have bulk to go with his height but I had underestimated how good he has gotten at using his hands on those contested balls. IMO this kid has continued to improve every year. If he shows up to training camp with no incidents over this summer I want him signed before week one. I want him on a contract based on what he has produced so far and I would not give him a chance to have a break out season with Sam and hit Darnold. Get it done this summer!

He seems to really be building a nice chemistry with Darnold, and you’re right, despite his slight frame he has extremely strong hands that rip away contested passes.

F**kin joke.  Without having all the fingers on 1 hand, you can count the good things Maccagnan has done for the Jets in 4 years, Anderson is one of them, now they’re going to lose him for a late 2nd Rd pick....most dangerous WR the Jets have had since Wesley Walker.  I say that because playing with a real QB he could have racked at least 10-15 more TDs that would have been caught on bombs.

Example...there was a play where he blew past All Pro Richard Sherman and his mouth, had him dusted by 15 yards and Fitzpatrick threw a garbage pass, couldn’t have been more wide open.

2 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

I'd be floored if a team ponied up a hefty contract AND a second-rounder for Anderson. I'm a fan of his, but his production through three years in the NFL doesn't merit that type of investment. A team looking for a speed receiver will either sign a guy like Tyrel Williams or draft someone. Jets fans see a ceiling for Anderson that's much great than what he's done so far, but another team isn't going to bet big money and draft capital on those hopes.

Dude hasn't exactly had the best QB situation around him. Reminds me of DeSean Jackson. I could see a team with a solid QB situation lacking a deep threat making the move easy.

This. Not just second round, but how about late 2nd round.

We discussed this plenty in the past couple months. Tagging him for a 1st round tender was a no-brainer. Even more so in an offseason with a weak FA WR class. 

So what's going to be his brilliant answer if a perennial playoff team - e.g. Steelers - offers Anderson $12MM/year right after the draft - or whatever number Macc doesn't want to match - after clearing Brown's salary off their cap? We're going to get their late 2nd rounder in 2020? Whoopie. That's a trade value of a late 3rd rounder.  

What a ****ing idiot, missing another easy layup. 

The Steelers don't save any money from trading Brown, it's a wash. And the pick would be in 2019 not 2020. I'd be more concerned about the Bills making an offer. His style fits perfectly with Allens big arm.

What you're suggesting is impossible. The deadline for RFA's to sign offer sheets is a week prior to the draft. 

1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Now I’m convinced...he’s gone.

Jets of course don’t have a #1 but now they won’t even have anyone who can keep D’s somewhat honest.  They never have to worry about getting gashed by the run, not with that Oline.

Just Total incompetence continues.

He was showing he had expanded his route tree also.

Once again, this is a 1,000 yard per year WR IF he has a QB who can get him the ball.  

How much are receivers like that worth?  

In 2019,  apparently 3.11 Million.  The Jets hold the option.  This is not a big deal.

21 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The Steelers don't save any money from trading Brown, it's a wash. And the pick would be in 2019 not 2020. I'd be more concerned about the Bills making an offer. His style fits perfectly with Allens big arm.

I like Robby, but if the Bills want to give us the #40 pick in the draft for him, I’ll take that. 

48 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Losing Robbie would be a huge blow to this offense.

I can see the Pats coming up w/ a creative contract to get him.

Brandon Cooks worked out real well for them. 

TB cannot throw the long ball like he used to Robbie Anderson is useless in NE. 

From what it appears to me, the Jets do not have a "win now" approach, despite being in year 2 of Darnold's 4 year deal (he will be extended after that).  

They appear to be willing to part with players who are not perfect fits but who could be helpful this year.  Guys like Long, Pennel and even Robby may not be what you want in 2020, so the reason to overpay them in 2019 is less.  

A team trying to contend could be very tempted to pay Robbie money this year and part with a second round draft pick.  If their QB can throw, he could win that team some games in 2019.  

The Jets are not throwing money away, yet, in 2019.  We shall see how they spend in the next wave. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

From what it appears to me, the Jets do not have a "win now" approach, despite being in year 2 of Darnold's 4 year deal (he will be extended after that).  

They appear to be willing to part with players who are not perfect fits but who could be helpful this year.  Guys like Long, Pennel and even Robby may not be what you want in 2020, so the reason to overpay them in 2019 is less.  

A team trying to contend could be very tempted to pay Robbie money this year and part with a second round draft pick.  If their QB can throw, he could win that team some games in 2019.  

The Jets are not throwing money away, yet, in 2019.  We shall see how they spend in the next wave. 

They really don't have to give him a new contract till after his 5th year option year. He's really going into his 2nd of 5 seasons under contract. He has 4 full seasons left before he counts bigbagainst the cap whether it's a long term deal or the franchise tag.

17 minutes ago, choon328 said:

They really don't have to give him a new contract till after his 5th year option year. He's really going into his 2nd of 5 seasons under contract. He has 4 full seasons left before he counts bigbagainst the cap whether it's a long term deal or the franchise tag.

Although Mac has operated differently, teams that have players they like, particularly QBs, picked in the first round give them new contracts after year 4.

The team saves a little money long term and builds good will.  

I think Anderson is being overvalued by some people on this board. He's a nice role player but not someone you build an offense around.

I think the 2nd round tender is just about right, and personally, I would be very surprised if another team is willing to give up that high of a pick for him.

7 hours ago, varjet said:

Do you know how much money this idiot Maccagnan has THROWN OUT?  I can't tell you because it's incalculable.

Every player that enters and exits through Maccagnan's revolving door of ineptitude destroys building any kind of semblance of a "team". And it happens EVERY year.  Why?  Because the guy can't draft, and the guy can't sign quality FA's.

This most likely is a big mistake with Anderson, he should have been tendered with a #1, the disparity is dollars between a 1 and a 2 being chump change in the grand scheme of things.

I'll be surprised if they don't lose him.  One of the very few things Maccagnan has done right was signing him...oop can't have that.

4 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

I think Anderson is being overvalued by some people on this board. He's a nice role player but not someone you build an offense around.

I think the 2nd round tender is just about right, and personally, I would be very surprised if another team is willing to give up that high of a pick for him.

The Eagle's were. Last year, We said, no. I'm glad we did.

Archived